Positives \ Negatives from the game?

Maxman

* i posted this at the end of the game thread but it probably more appropriate here so am reposting *

I just watched the first half on replay on nfl.com

Here are my conclusions, watching the play on the field, and the body language off the field:

1. geno's play is very choppy / there is no smoothness to his game / he almost threw a boneheaded pick 6 he had no business throwing across the field as he was flushed out of the pocket and was being tackled -- he does not seem to have learned that much in year 2 -- he had bulked up, but, and i cant quite put my finger on it, he seems very arrogant and at the same time unsure of himself.  that in game interview, i wondered what planet he was on... he was just mouthing things that have little bearing on the actual performance of the team with him at the helm

2. vick quite obviously outplayed him. any non biased assessment would lead to that conclusion.  imho.

3. the rest of the offense played better for vick, it look like a much smoother scoring machine

4. i may be reading too much into this, but geno was often seen standing alone on the sideline -- almost arrogantly so -- while vick always seems to have a group of guys around him, and is always talking with the younger players in what looks like a positiive way

5. i dont think decker (judging by body language on the sideline) thinks to highly of geno as a qb -- again, the body language shows like hmmm what have we got here?

6. in general, i would say the rest of the jets know that vick is the better, more talented qb -- just by how they act differently around each qb

7. the gameplan was horrendous / very conservative, totally lacking in imagination

8. had luck stayed in, it probably would have ended up 48 -10 / noting that long hasselbeck pass, i think the secondary is an obvious weakness

conclusion: start vick, let geno learn the game riding the bench for a while till vick gets injured. vick lost his starting role to injuries last year. geno did not win the staring job outright, he benefited from mark being injured in that dumb giants game. in my opinion, he is not a winner, nor is he a legitimate NFL starting QB. he had a good dec against weak teams.

if Rex has any balls, he shoudl tell Idzick that his pet project is obviously not ready for prime time. that he (Rex) should stake his job on vick starting, and may win over half their games against that grueling schedule till the break, by which time geno would have maybe learned how to play this game, and take us the rest of the way to the playoffs. the more cynical expalanation is that rex can claim to woody he is blameless if idzick's pick turns out to be phoney baloney: rex can claim he was forced to start geno, but knew that vick was the correct short term answer to a winning season. then in the midst of all the dissension, we see idzik taking the heat, and maybe be gone next year. after all wooody didnt pick him. he hired someone to pick him for him.

a very positive positive is the play of Alex Green, though they dont really need another running back.

final words: to repeat offense is more dynamic, creative under vick. it was immediately obvious when viewed under replay.

Rex better wake up, instead of trying to recreate the team he had in the Sanchize's first year. run run run run run dink pass run run run.

I really don't know what game you were watching. You make it sound like Vick clearly outplayed Geno, when I would say Geno looked better throwing the ball then Vick did. Sure the Jets scored a TD with Vick on the field, but that was also with 30 yards at least in penalties. With that being said, Offensive line looked bad, Breno didn't look good to me at all. Decker looked great, and it looks like he's going to be a favorite of Geno's. I really saw a significant difference in our Safety play this game, more specifically, Antonio Allen. Milliner looked more like the player we saw in the last three weeks of last season, which is great for our secondary. I personally didn't like what I saw from our 1st string defense overall, at one point Matt Hasselbeck was moving the ball well against us, that doesn't sit well with me. However, a lot of that could be put on the play of Dimitri Patterson, what a terrible game he had. I prefer McDougle and Walls over Patterson starting next week, gonna be interesting to see how Patterson's reps are affected after this  game, maybe we'll see more of the younger guys splitting first team reps with him. Was anyone else kind of pissed that we didn't get to see Boyd at all?? I mean is the kid that bad or was it some kind of injury thing, I was a little disappointed I didn't get to see him throw the ball. Not a bad game for the Jets (no one got hurt), and hopefully the issues we're having are only due to it being so early in the preseason. 

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My takeaways from watching only the first half (I had to leave the stadium due to work):

1. Geno looks a little more comfortable than last year but still looks like a 2nd year qb.  Not sure how much to expect from him this year to be honest.

2. Vick looked like a veteran familiar with the playbook, thought that was clear.  He impressed me with his speed, did not know he still had that much gas left.  

3. D-line is very strong and holds the line very well.

4. Patterson - ugh.

5. Millner looked like he came to play this year and wants some of that big DB money down the line.  Very hopeful. 

6. Colon is nasty, big fan of his.

7. My biggest concern isn't really a concern but more of a disappointment:  the O-line.   It seems like just a few years ago we had a dominant, in your face type of o-line that could control the line of scrimmage and pave the way for a solid running game.  Now it looks like we have an average o-line, with no real power coming out of the blocks.  I'm worried that the running game will be average and lead to a below average passing game.   If Geno is going to start and be an improvement over last year then I think he is going to need a solid running game and some PA passes to help get him there.  From what I saw from the first team o-line last night it doesn't look like we will be getting that.  Hopefully it gets better by the day and the line comes together but they didn't instill much confidence last night from the  small sample we got to witness.

Whiffing on all the CBs available in free agency could absolutely come back to haunt Idzik and the Jets. Patterson looked absolutely horrendous out there. Luck didn't slice his way thru the Jets so much as he sliced right thru Patterson and a little thru Wilson. I know he's supposed to be nursing some kind of injury, but based on last night, I'd be more concerned about a roster spot than a spot in the starting lineup. The good news here was that Luck completely avoided Milliner Island.

The starting OL was a concern, particularly Breno, but I'm okay with shaky OL play in the first preseason game when there are new parts involved. These guys have to learn to play with each other.

Decker is a massive improvement over what we had last year, and Amaro looked better than I expected. Chris Johnson also looks like a nice pickup. A lot of new parts overall on offense, and I think it's gonna take a while for the whole group to get it together. Hopefully it's close enough by opening day.

Passing on Revis, OK.. I get it. But there were so many good options out there! I can't imagine a stronger corner market coming around anytime soon. 

Milliner Island.. love it. But yeah, why throw at Dee when you can just lob it over Patterson. Thats probably how everyone saw it. 

Passing on Revis, OK.. I get it. But there were so many good options out there! I can't imagine a stronger corner market coming around anytime soon. 

Milliner Island.. love it. But yeah, why throw at Dee when you can just lob it over Patterson. Thats probably how everyone saw it. 

Or just over the middle since Harris/Wilson can't cover anyone either. 

Just re-watched the game, Nelson had a rough night. I don't think he caught any passes, injured his hand, and his false start killed that opening drive. I mean a false start on a WR give me a break.

Still need a #2 receiver.

The OLINE better shape up its play or its going to be a LONG season.

Ya. The Brick/mangold decline started 2 years ago and we've avoided it. Mangold gets zero push up front anymore. Colon whiffed on that blitz pick up on the incompletion to Nelson.

i dont know who you are or what your problem is.  but your rudeness against someone you do not know is uncalled for.  if opinions that you dont like to read bother you, dont read anything except what you write.  i have been a Jets fan since 1968.  i have watched many if not most their games between 1968 and the early 2000s, at Shea and Giants stadium.  I then retired to Fla and it became more impossibleto watch complete seasons on TV at home.  if Jetsnation is a place where the moderators allow people llke you to insult newcomers to this forum, then you will have your wish.  I therefore call on the sit'\s moderators to issue you a warning for unwarranted behavior.  Never think you can call other people names, and get away with it -- unless of course the moderators allow it here, in which case I shall leave.

Hi, and welcome to the board. We have a mixture of young and old, negative and positive posters. We try to keep the moderation light, but I do agree - we don't want to see a new poster attacked for no good reason. Argue the post, don't attack the poster.

Stick around, once you become a regular you can decide who you'd rather personally attack more, Klecko73isGod or T0mShane. If you're like everyone else here, it'll probably prove to be one of them.

Hi, and welcome to the board. We have a mixture of young and old, negative and positive posters. We try to keep the moderation light, but I do agree - we don't want to see a new poster attacked for no good reason. Argue the post, don't attack the poster.

Stick around, once you become a regular you can decide who you'd rather personally attack more, Klecko73isGod or T0mShane. If you're like everyone else here, it'll probably prove to be one of them.

:rl:

I watch the first quarter and a half again on NFL Network. Here are some additional positives and negatives.

Positives:

Geno played a lot better than i initially gave him credit for and he has come a long way.

Cheerleaders looked much hotter than last season.

Negatives:

Penalties. Can we clean those up.

Still need a #2 receiver.

Technically, you dont.  Between Decker, Kerley, Cumby and Johnson...there are plenty of options.  If Nelson, Hill and someone else can fill in the  the rest its essentially the same as having a solid #2.  And thats not even taking into account that Amaro and Ford or one of the rookies could emerge.

Technically, you dont. Between Decker, Kerley, Cumby and Johnson...there are plenty of options. If Nelson, Hill and someone else can fill in the the rest its essentially the same as having a solid #2. And thats not even taking into account that Amaro and Ford or one of the rookies could emerge.

I guess Nelson will suffice. Hill still looks lost- still think there's a chance he's cut.

Technically, you dont.  Between Decker, Kerley, Cumby and Johnson...there are plenty of options.  If Nelson, Hill and someone else can fill in the  the rest its essentially the same as having a solid #2.  And thats not even taking into account that Amaro and Ford or one of the rookies could emerge.

Don't bother. The fantasy football "we need a #1" roar speaks volumes about how many Jet fans actually understand the sport.

a veritable nothing of a game. the offense did not really try to do anything, just be ordinary. when you aim for ordinary you usually fall short. I would like the defense to make plays on third down, if they would not mind. Otherwise, no debilitating injuries. good.

Being Hill was pretty much MIA all game,  it's starting to look like he shouldn't even be counted on making the team.

Don't bother. The fantasy football "we need a #1" roar speaks volumes about how many Jet fans actually understand the sport.

Having a sh*tty player playing the X/Z receiver position is bad. That's a starting player(a guy who plays the majority of the snaps). Would probably pipe down on understanding the sport posts too.

Having a sh*tty player playing the X/Z receiver position is bad. That's a starting player(a guy who plays the majority of the snaps). Would probably pipe down on understanding the sport posts too.

Having a sh*tty player in any starting position is bad. Thanks for dropping that football knowledge. 

Is Decker now suddenly a sh*tty player? No. That's not what you or anyone said. My response was about the notion that 'he's not a true #1', which has a cavalry of idiocy supporting it and it's purely a product of fantasy football and fans not understanding wtf they are talking about.

Archived