Positives \ Negatives from the game?

Maxman

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How many #1 WRs are there in the NFL? I'm curious.

25 of them. And all the teams that have one went deep into the playoffs because they do have one.  

Julian Edelman, Golden Tate, Steve Smith, Dwayne Bowe, Marques Colston... These true #1s are among the best WRs in football. They all drew (and beat) consistent double-teams last year, and that's why their respective teams won so many games.

Having a sh*tty player in any starting position is bad. Thanks for dropping that football knowledge. 

Is Decker now suddenly a sh*tty player? No. That's not what you or anyone said. My response was about the notion that 'he's not a true #1', which has a cavalry of idiocy supporting it and it's purely a product of fantasy football and fans not understanding wtf they are talking about.

Two guys who support the whole "Not a #1, need a #1"... Michael Kay and Stephen A Smith. The two biggest jackasses in sports radio. 

i dont know who you are or what your problem is.  but your rudeness against someone you do not know is uncalled for.  if opinions that you dont like to read bother you, dont read anything except what you write.  i have been a Jets fan since 1968.  i have watched many if not most their games between 1968 and the early 2000s, at Shea and Giants stadium.  I then retired to Fla and it became more impossibleto watch complete seasons on TV at home.  if Jetsnation is a place where the moderators allow people llke you to insult newcomers to this forum, then you will have your wish.  I therefore call on the sit'\s moderators to issue you a warning for unwarranted behavior.  Never think you can call other people names, and get away with it -- unless of course the moderators allow it here, in which case I shall leave.

Insulting people is standard on internet forums. If you are going to continue to continue to share your personal opinion in any sports forum online community you have to accept that you will be the subject of irrational personal attacks. This behavior is not unique to Jet Nation, the fact that you have been a Jets fan since 1968 will give you no additional respect online. Humans suck in general even Jets fans.

I did not get to see Thursday's game because I was am currently out the country and had no joy in streaming the game.  Greenbean might have a point that you came into this game with pre-conceived notions- however it's hard not , we all have them.

That said, your observations that Geno Smith stood alone on the sideline bothered me as it reminded me of his behavior last year.

His inter personal skills were what was most criticized through the draft process last year.

Qb's that last in this league are in the thick of things on the sideline,  looking at print outs, communicating with their coordinator, talking to their wide receivers/tight ends. Geno holds a cup of Gatorade, watching the game alone, waiting for his next turn on the field .

He can physically make the plays but he does not strike me as a leader , a communicator - I think leadership, being able to relate to your teammates, is an essential quality.

Finally had a chance to watch this game. You people are ******* insane. Geno looked fine. Vick looked like he always does. The idea that last night's game changes the QB calculus for this team in any way is lunacy.

Hey there. I remember you. Welcome.

Insulting people is standard on internet forums. If you are going to continue to continue to share your personal opinion in any sports forum online community you have to accept that you will be the subject of irrational personal attacks. This behavior is not unique to Jet Nation, the fact that you have been a Jets fan since 1968 will give you no additional respect online. Humans suck in general even Jets fans.

I did not get to see Thursday's game because I was am currently out the country and had no joy in streaming the game.  Greenbean might have a point that you came into this game with pre-conceived notions- however it's hard not , we all have them.

That said, your observations that Geno Smith stood alone on the sideline bothered me as it reminded me of his behavior last year.

His inter personal skills were what was most criticized through the draft process last year.

Qb's that last in this league are in the thick of things on the sideline,  looking at print outs, communicating with their coordinator, talking to their wide receivers/tight ends. Geno holds a cup of Gatorade, watching the game alone, waiting for his next turn on the field .

He can physically make the plays but he does not strike me as a leader , a communicator - I think leadership, being able to relate to your teammates, is an essential quality.

Think the whole intagibles/chemistry stuff is mostly after the fact nonsense.

But it's fair to point out that most successful QBs are talking nonstop between series with the OC, with the booth on the phone, with thr OL, with the recievers. Even if as I do you don;t necessarily buy the "leadership" thing, you have to communicate with everyone lese to see what works, what doesn't, what to try next, what might be a weakness, what might you avoid. The NFL even now allows ipads to be used to look at in game phots rather than having hardcopy photos setnt down to the sideline like it's 1966.

And Smith does none of that. You would think someone might clue him in to at least make a good show of being involved. Seems he interacts a bit with Vick, and that's about it. Which makes you think the eyeblack and postgame bravado is his idea of what matters. It's a little unnerving to hear a guy who really has done nothing game after game last year and again last night talk afterward like he's accomplisehd something. Again, 1 preseason game.But I really don't understand his demeanor.

But it's fair to point out that most successful QBs are talking nonstop between series with the OC, with the booth on the phone, with thr OL, with the recievers. Even if as I do you don;t necessarily buy the "leadership" thing, you have to communicate with everyone lese to see what works, what doesn't, what to try next, what might be a weakness, what might you avoid. The NFL even now allows ipads to be used to look at in game phots rather than having hardcopy photos setnt down to the sideline like it's 1966.

And Smith does none of that. You would think someone might clue him in to at least make a good show of being involved. Seems he interacts a bit with Vick, and that's about it. Which makes you think the eyeblack and postgame bravado is his idea of what matters. It's a little unnerving to hear a guy who really has done nothing game after game last year and again last night talk afterward like he's accomplisehd something. Again, 1 preseason game.But I really don't understand his demeanor.

I agree. And since we're on the topic, what's up with his posture? You think Joe Willie Namath had bad posture. **** no. Super bowl winning quarterbacks are renown for their pristine posture. It projects confidence. Never trust a man who has bad posture.

And what's up with his body language? Jesus Pete. When Vick was orchestrating his masterpiece of a TD drive what was Geno doing? His head should've been glued to morhinweg so he can learn something about the old quarterbacking trade.

And I hear Geno sleeps? Real qbs don't sleep. They stay awake thinking about plays drawn in the sand to make sure they're ready to run it in the big game.

Have you heard Geno at his press conference? Nary a sir or ma'am in there. Real qbs are polite and professional as can be to assert their respectability in the locker room.

This Geno kid has got a lot to learn to be a real qb. Once we give him some weapons i don't even knownif he'll know what to do with them!!!

I agree. And since we're on the topic, what's up with his posture? You think Joe Willie Namath had bad posture. **** no. Super bowl winning quarterbacks are renown for their pristine posture. It projects confidence. Never trust a man who has bad posture.

And what's up with his body language? Jesus Pete. When Vick was orchestrating his masterpiece of a TD drive what was Geno doing? His head should've been glued to morhinweg so he can learn something about the old quarterbacking trade.

And I hear Geno sleeps? Real qbs don't sleep. They stay awake thinking about plays drawn in the sand to make sure they're ready to run it in the big game.

Have you heard Geno at his press conference? Nary a sir or ma'am in there. Real qbs are polite and professional as can be to assert their respectability in the locker room.

This Geno kid has got a lot to learn to be a real qb. Once we give him some weapons i don't even knownif he'll know what to do with them!!!

You're so right. Stand there on the sideline with your mouth agape gulping gatorade staring blankly talking to no one when you have been the sh1ttiest QB in the NFL in 2013 is so encouraging.RGIII and Luck-successful young NFL QBs-are in fact talking to teammates and coaches between every possession. One thing to say Thursday was a small sample, but quite another to say we've seen anything encouraging about Geno Smith.

We drafted a guy because he had Tayvon Austin to throw to, which either gave him an all world speedester in the NCAA who was often doubled and still made plays, while the doubling left other M'neers open. The Jets blew a 2nd rounder. Smith sucks. I really would love to eat those words. But I won't have to any time soon.

Finally had a chance to watch this game. You people are ******* insane. Geno looked fine. Vick looked like he always does. The idea that last night's game changes the QB calculus for this team in any way is lunacy.

Finally someone watched the same game I did.  

People need to focus more on that six-yard slant he threw to Decker, because that's the mark of good quarterbackin'.

Hey, I'm with you man. I think Geno looked a little better. The problem is a little better than god awful horrible isn't very good. If Vick still has his legs, and it looks like he clearly does, he deserves a shot.

Hey, I'm with you man. I think Geno looked a little better. The problem is a little better than god awful horrible isn't very good. If Vick still has his legs, and it looks like he clearly does, he deserves a shot.

I think this is close to where i'm at as well. We've had league-worst qb play for a while now so as sad is it is, a game without a turnover and no passing tds is still a marked improvement. The only way we make a legit run this year imo is if Geno is an actual QB so i see vick as just insurance in case Geno sh*ts the bed hard.

Still early obviously, but i'm hoping Pryor is a player cause it doesn't really seem to promising right now that a rookie that is going to be a major contributor right away. Maybe McDougal.

People need to focus more on that six-yard slant he threw to Decker, because that's the mark of good quarterbackin'.

CBS haf a halftime interview with Decker interspersed with him catching a mess tight spirals of over 30+ yards from Peyton Manning. He's gonna miss that a lot.

Who hurt you?

That is it dbatesman, walk towards us. Walk away from that light, it is Tom with a flashlight. You don't want to know what happens when you get to him.  Walk towards us.

CBS haf a halftime interview with Decker interspersed with him catching a mess tight spirals of over 30+ yards from Peyton Manning. He's gonna miss that a lot.

I wouldn't take Decker in fantasy football, his numbers will be down. But his paycheck should help ease his pain.

I partly agree with your summation of intangibles and chemistry as nonsense. We both agree however that if he is consistently standing alone, not communicating with his coordinator, ol, wrs and te's it is a bad thing. The NFL is too damned competitive to stand on the sideline looking stoic.

There is stuff to do. Geno appears to enjoy his own company more than anyone elses, which is fine except for NFL QB's it's not a good thing. Preseason is a great opportunity to  work on these things - it does not sound promising.

Hey guys and gals, long time Jet fan but I am a new jack here. Looks like a great cast of fans. It is very early but the positives for me were that we did not turn the ball over. Which was very nice to see for a change. Both QB's did some positive things, although Geno has to show he can get this team in the end zone more consistently. I did like to see both QB's take off and run when plays broke down. Thought milliner played well in his time. Although he dropped a sure int. The other was that we won of coarse. The negatives? D Patterson looked horrible. Did not look like a veteran at all. The O- line was a bit shaky at times. Especially the 2nd team. We did not seem to run the ball well. Stephan Hill totally disappeared again! Which is not good for him . Was kind of hoping he would show something by now. All in all I am still most concerned about the secondary. Hopefully Pryor adds something on the back and...... At least the intimidation factor?

positive: we won the game

negative: we need to wait another week to see the jets play again

pre season game 1 is not the best time to evaluate possitives and negitives, after game three if Patterson is still getting burned, milliner continues to play good and so on then say these guys suck and shouldn't be out there, sometimes these guys just need a game or two to settle in

I agree with that it is only the first preseason game. Sometimes that happens. Even good solid players can have a bad or non existent first pre season game. I was basing my comment on what I thought were positives & negatives from the game.

Archived