Lol, Cimini Desperate for QB Controversy

nj meadowlands

The cemetery ball that Geno threw into the flat while being sacked simply should not be happening at this point. For all the talk about his improved decision making, that one play belies any thought of that and it's got to at least get the wheels turning in Idzik's mind that he needs to insulate himself and the franchise in the event that Geno just simply won't get it.

Ummmm... I think he's way ahead of you, hence Vick. Duh.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The cemetery ball that Geno threw into the flat while being sacked simply should not be happening at this point. For all the talk about his improved decision making, that one play belies any thought of that and it's got to at least get the wheels turning in Idzik's mind that he needs to insulate himself and the franchise in the event that Geno just simply won't get it.

Meh, one throw.  He was trying to get it away and the defender really wasnt any where near the receiver.

mountains of molehills

Go back and read my first post that started this moronic argument, that it would be terrible if Powell got the same amount of carries as Ivory or Johnson (who are still a bottom half of the league backfield.) Looks like you agree with me. Move along. 

Breaking your meds in half is not working out so well.  Go back to at least a full dose.

Does the reporter note that the TD drive only happened because it was preseason? Or do you and the reporter actually believe the Jets would have gone for it on 4th & 4 inside Indy's 10 yard line in the first half of a close game? If so, do you also believe in the Loch Ness Monster and the Yeti? They're all approximately as believable.

such a great point sperm, the fact that this was not pointed out in one single article by any of our beat reporters is beyond embarrassing, just shows how much they are catering to the tmz audience and not people who are actually watching games. Whatever anyone's feeling is about Vick , Geno , or anything else how can the fact that the TD drive would have never happened In a real game be left out of the story?

As long as he doesn't throw a pick-6 to a defensive lineman, I'm still counting it as a win.

Meh, one throw. He was trying to get it away and the defender really wasnt any where near the receiver.

mountains of molehills

Seriously. Maybe you take the sack there, but it was not close to a defender and was out of play.

Headline - "Vick Makes a Push"

Observation Deck: New York Jets

August, 7, 2014

Aug 7

9:57

PM ET

By Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- The New York Jets signed Michael Vick to "push" Geno Smith, according to the company line. He's pushing, all right. Vick sparked the starting offense to its only touchdown in a 13-10 win over the Indianapolis Colts Thursday night at MetLife Stadium. Vick, who replaced Smith in the second quarter, led a 14-play, 80-yard drive in his only series with the first team. Vick's performance doesn't change the quarterback dynamic -- Smith still is the frontrunner -- but he's definitely keeping the pressure on. The rest of the offense? Ugly. It actually faced a third-and-42.

Here are some other thoughts on the Jets' first preseason game:

• Smith (4-for-6, 33 yards) didn't do anything to hurt his chances, but he also failed to lead the offense to a touchdown in his two series. Rex Ryan said he wanted to see some production, meaning touchdowns. Smith & Co. came away with a field goal. The offense had some problems in third-and-long situations, ultimately stalling its first two drives. Smith found Eric Decker twice, connected with Jeff Cumberland on a nice 11-yard completion over the middle and ran for 10 yards on a read-option -- the highlights. There weren't any lowlights (no turnovers), but Smith didn't grab the job by the throat.
  • It was vintage Vick. He ran a little, threw a little and brought energy to the offense. He scrambled for 15 yards on a third-and-9 and converted third- and fourth-down passes to Jace Amaro and Tommy Bohanon, respectively. As expected, Vick (3-for-6, 17 yards) looked comfortable in Marty Mornhinweg's offense, seeing the entire field and following his reads. Things fell apart in his second series, but it came behind the second-team line, which struggled in pass protection. In practice, Vick has received only 20 percent of the first-team reps. It'll be interesting to see if the split changes in Week 2 of the preseason. It shouldn't; Smith needs as much work as possible.
  • The Jets' running-back depth, one of the strengths of the team, may have taken a hit. Chris Ivory suffered a rib injury in the first half and didn't return. Bilal Powell still is nursing a hamstring injury, leaving Chris Johnson as the only healthy, proven back. In his Jets debut, Johnson looked a bit rusty, frankly. He dropped a pass as the third-down back and lacked burst, rushing for only two yards on four carries. The former 2,000-yard rusher scored on a 1-yard touchdown run, cutting back on an inside run -- his signature moment. There's no reason to be alarmed. Remember, he's only seven months removed from knee surgery. Truth be told, the entire rushing attack was stuck in quick sand.
  • Biggest question mark entering camp? Cornerback. After one game, it's a bigger question mark. Dimitri Patterson didn't make anyone forget Darrelle Revis, Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie or any of the other free-agent corners the Jets didn't sign. The well-traveled Patterson gave too much cushion on a couple of plays, allowed a 45-yard reception and was flagged for holding. This looms as a serious concern, considering the number of high-powered passing attacks on the early schedule. Dee Milliner played well, breaking up two pass plays, but you need more than one corner. Yes, the Jets are formidable up front, but opponents will spread them out and play dink-and-dunk. The first-team defense was shaky, allowing an 80-yard touchdown drive to the Colts' backups.

Fool. He, and the rest of the media, are trying to start a QB controversy. Disgraceful. I only watched the first half. These dumb nerds get all wet because Vick did some scrambling. Scrambling does not win games. Did they watch him throw? He is woefully inaccurate, missing wide open guys on the easiest passes. Having said that, I saw very little last night that was encouraging. But like I said, all I care about is injuries pre-season.

We are talking about the first pre season game here. Geno saw two series and led a FG drive. Not bad. As far as Cimini, he ALWAYS looks for controversy even if he has to create it himself. He is the ultimate HATER. He is a Giants fan covering the Jets and hating every minute of it. I glory in that Cimini is in his own personal hell.

Yeah, that out that he threw also gave me the chills. Cimini's article is dumb but his premise is spot on. That this isn't an open competition is insane.

So, you predicted they'd improve?

If you think they improved then you are probably as delusional as Rex Ryan who thinks that it's OK to be noncompetitive for 3 months as long as you beat the terrible Browns, Raiders and Dolphins in December after you're already eliminated from the playoffs. 

It's one play after 16 NFL starts.

The Mannings, Brady, Brees, Flacco - these guys have all won SB's and you know what?  They still occassionaly make bad decisions.

You're zero'ing in on one throw, in the 1st game of the preseason, that wasnt nearly as bad as your making it out to be.

The Mannings, Brady, Brees, Flacco - these guys have all won SB's and you know what?  They still occassionaly make bad decisions.

You're zero'ing in on one throw, in the 1st game of the preseason, that wasnt nearly as bad as your making it out to be.

When smith does a fraction of the, you know, making plays, that those QB's do, then he won't have his bad plays harped on. 

Smith hasnt played a fraction of the games they've played and they still make mistakes.

yea but according to the NY media all 900 of Eli's int's last year were the receivers fault, meanwhile Geno throws one into the first row last night and it's an almost pick 6

Small sample size, playing against starters or soon-to-be bouncers, garbagemen and car salesen,it's the preason, vanilla offense,  I get all that. 

Vick looked like he knows what he's doing. He may be a despicable piece of inhuman dreck, but he looks better at QB than Geno Smith and it's not close.

We just got done with wasting 4 years on Pick 6, I have no desire to do that all over again. FOOL US ONCE. 

And so far from  last year and  in camp and vs. the Colts r this year Smith still looks awful. Remains to be seen if Idzik will be making that decision, or MM, or Ryan. But it doesn't matter. Careers and reputations and salaries are at stake here. Cannot believe anyone with his job on the line and an anxious owner with tons of unsold tickets is gonna start Smith over Vick effective week 1. Assuming McDougal and Pryor are as good as advertised and the front 7 can mount a pass rush, this could be a 9-10 win team with a decent offense. Don't think as a franchise they're going to indulge a horror show at QB. And Smith is that. They are gonna cut bait on him way faster than they did with Sanchez. Financially for the franchise and from a win/loss perspective last year is not going to be replayed. 

By the way-someone get Smith a mirror for when he applies eyeblack; did he do it in a unlit closet?  It was a night game anyway. 

Would note the ads for tickets are EVERYWHERE. The stadium was very empty. The media isn't talking about it yet. This team is not going to wait for a QB to develop that so far has shown nothing. 

Vick was 3-6 for 17 yards against backups. I'm loving his energy tho.

The issue with this kind of statement is that you need to think the same thing for whatever the Defense did.  Luck pretty much played one series, so the rest of the game the Jets defense was facing an old backup QB.   So it makes no sense to say Vick played against backups while saying  Milliner looked better, but ignoring the fact it was mostly against a backup QB.

Geno didn't look nearly as bad a folks think he did last night. Strictly as a passer- he looked better than Vick honestly. Problem is management's disconnect with the HC. I dont even know what Rex wants this team to be anymore....it's a sloppy roster.

The issue with this kind of statement is that you need to think the same thing for whatever the Defense did. Luck pretty much played one series, so the rest of the game the Jets defense was facing an old backup QB. So it makes no sense to say Vick played against backups while saying Milliner looked better, but ignoring the fact it was mostly against a backup QB.

Milliner looked good with luck in there. If Patterson doesn't slip its a 3 and out.

Wtf does this have to do with Vick being mediocre against backups? What mental gymnastics do you need to do to connect the issues?

Geno didn't look nearly as bad a folks think he did last night. Strictly as a passer- he looked better than Vick honestly. Problem is management's disconnect with the HC. I dont even know what Rex wants this team to be anymore....it's a sloppy roster.

The offense is gross and only looks functional on broken plays where the QB breaks the pocket. It's a continuation of last year, and the year before, and the year before, so it's not accurate to say it's "one preseason game." I think your point about the coach and management being on different pages would explain a lot. There just doesn't seem to be any sort of focus on what they want to do as a team, other than wait around for a quarterback to magically emerge.

Would note the ads for tickets are EVERYWHERE. The stadium was very empty. The media isn't talking about it yet. This team is not going to wait for a QB to develop that so far has shown nothing.

Fan apathy is rampant with this organization right now. You wonder how much those cheers for Vick last night resonated in Woody's luxe box.

Yeah, that out that he threw also gave me the chills. Cimini's article is dumb but his premise is spot on. That this isn't an open competition is insane.

I kinda like the ride-or-die approach with Geno right now. On the one hand, I think he's got a shot to be good. On the other hand, getting a new HC and Marcus Mariota holds great appeal.

The offense is gross and only looks functional on broken plays where the QB breaks the pocket. It's a continuation of last year, and the year before, and the year before, so it's not accurate to say it's "one preseason game." I think your point about the coach and management being on different pages would explain a lot. There just doesn't seem to be any sort of focus on what they want to do as a team, other than wait around for a quarterback to magically emerge.

It's been this way since 2011. Once the offensive line wasn't dominant- Rex became expendable as a HC. Marty tossing the ball around with a defense that doesn't force turnovers isn't a good match.

You got all this from 2 drives in the first preseason game?

lmfao

oh you guys

Some of the fan base is way too quick to buy into "it's just one preseason game!'. Johnson is a major league douchebag. But he is not going to sit around waitng for"the offense to gell" or some such crap. The FO and HC preachint patience in Year 6 of Rex is not going to be well-recevied by the financial people who suggested to Johnson his stadium mortgage payments would be a groundball before the sh*tbox was built. it's not so any  more. And if not why do the Jets have so much open cap room? 

Financially there is something going on here. This team is not close to selling out spare may be the Pats game.

And so far Geno Smith has done little more than remind us all of Mark Sanchez. 

I kinda like the ride-or-die approach with Geno right now. On the one hand, I think he's got a shot to be good. On the other hand, getting a new HC and Marcus Mariota holds great appeal.

The problem with accepting the mentality of letting Rex do himself in is that I have to let 2014 go. And it usually takes me until at least week 2 of the regular season for me to be cool with that.

Archived