Jets 60s trivia quiz

ali

With the next preseason game a week away, I thought it might be fun as a little light entertainment  to drop a 60s Jets trivia "quiz" to help make the wait bearable.

Here goes:

1.  What father and son "team"  played for the NY Jets?  Hint:  one was a starting TE in the mid 60s, the other a backup QB in the 80s.

2.  The Jets attracted few fans to the Polo Grounds, yet the parking lot was often full of cars on game days.  Why?

3.  Why did the Jets choose the colors white and green?

Bonus question:

Which All Star Boston Patriots fullback (who still holds a franchise rushing record from that era)  play for the Jets?

1. Mackey

2. Parking for giants game

3. Hess colors

Jim nance

3 out 4.  Very good!  But Hess change his corporate colors after the purchase by the Sonny Weblin group.  The Hess Stations were blue (or so I am told by source who remembers them) or some other colors prior to white and green, which he changed to in '63.  So it's something else.

TRivia is a game from a bygone era now with the advent of the hand held computer access by anyone who has a cell phone. I just said it last night at my gig when i played a song and asked the audience to guess who sang it: Indiana Wants me-was a time that NOBODY would get the answer. Now some Hispanic girl rattled off the answer the minute it was over.

As I remember it, owner Sonny Werblin of the "new" franchise was from show business and wanted to inject some excitement into the forlorn NY AFL representative.  In addition to having show biz stars of the day attend games where the TV announcers pointed them out to the audience, he changed the uniform colors to the color of money to show he was serious about putting up a winner.

As I remember it, owner Sonny Werblin of the "new" franchise was from show business and wanted to inject some excitement into the forlorn NY AFL representative.  In addition to having show biz stars of the day attend games where the TV announcers pointed them out to the audience, he changed the uniform colors to the color of money to show he was serious about putting up a winner.

Yes that is the story that is usually written up in books about the Jets, and is the answer I would have given.  From someone who was actually in NY and a Titans fan (not me, my source, a very very knowledgeable Jets / NFL fanatic) when this happened, the actual purchase of the Jets by the Sonny Werblin syndicate was apparently legally finalized on St. Paddy's day in 1963, thus the decision for the colors of the team. The color of money thing happened slightly later with the hiring of Weeb on April 15th, I believe it was.  Anyway that is the info according to my source.  So that was the trick question, that you cannot easily Google.  Looking at the comment from the previous reader, I do see another unecessary remark that seems to be a personal put down, and it seems the moderators did not say or do anything about the other fella with the major attitude -- at least I did not receive any email to that effect. This site seems to have a number of people who seem to like to put down complete strangers, I thought this might be a fun thing, popping a little quiz during the pre season, and I thought others too might have interesting trivia facts about the team we all support.  Yes, I'm just an old Jets fan, from a bygone era, but I guess that is not really that welcome around here, and I have no problem with that, as I am far too advanced in years to get into personal vendettas with people I do not know.  Goodbye guys.  Have a great season!!!!  And I do mean that sincerely!!!  Be cool.

Yes that is the story that is usually written up in books about the Jets, and is the answer I would have given.  From someone who was actually in NY and a Titans fan (not me, my source, a very very knowledgeable Jets / NFL fanatic) when this happened, the actual purchase of the Jets by the Sonny Werblin syndicate was apparently legally finalized on St. Paddy's day in 1963, thus the decision for the colors of the team. The color of money thing happened slightly later with the hiring of Weeb on April 15th, I believe it was.  Anyway that is the info according to my source.  So that was the trick question, that you cannot easily Google.  Looking at the comment from the previous reader, I do see another unecessary remark that seems to be a personal put down, and it seems the moderators did not say or do anything about the other fella with the major attitude -- at least I did not receive any email to that effect. This site seems to have a number of people who seem to like to put down complete strangers, I thought this might be a fun thing, popping a little quiz during the pre season, and I thought others too might have interesting trivia facts about the team we all support.  Yes, I'm just an old Jets fan, from a bygone era, but I guess that is not really that welcome around here, and I have no problem with that, as I am far too advanced in years to get into personal vendettas with people I do not know.  Goodbye guys.  Have a great season!!!!  And I do mean that sincerely!!!  Be cool.

Jimmy is from a bygone era as well. (Sorry Jimmy). Please point out the personal put down because i can't find it in this thread.  I'm sorry you felt like you were insulted. You are very welcome here. Everyone of all ages is welcome here. Well except SouthernJet. He is WAY too old, but he keeps forgetting he isn't welcome. 

Please stick around. The season is upon us. 

Jimmy is from a bygone era as well. (Sorry Jimmy). Please point out the personal put down because i can't find it in this thread.  I'm sorry you felt like you were insulted. You are very welcome here. Everyone of all ages is welcome here. Well except SouthernJet. He is WAY too old, but he keeps forgetting he isn't welcome. 

What he said.

Absolutely.  We can always use more crazy around here.

There really was absolutely nothing, so if something in this thread makes him want to leave, there's probably no point in trying to convince him otherwise.  We all know it's going to get much worse than anything said here once things start rolling, and this has already been a repeated complaint from him in only a day.  Nothing against him, but just saying, it doesn't seem like JN is much of a fit.

With the next preseason game a week away, I thought it might be fun as a little light entertainment  to drop a 60s Jets trivia "quiz" to help make the wait bearable.

Here goes:

1.  What father and son "team"  played for the NY Jets?  Hint:  one was a starting TE in the mid 60s, the other a backup QB in the 80s.

2.  The Jets attracted few fans to the Polo Grounds, yet the parking lot was often full of cars on game days.  Why?

3.  Why did the Jets choose the colors white and green?

Bonus question:

Which All Star Boston Patriots fullback (who still holds a franchise rushing record from that era)  play for the Jets?

I thought it was good trivia, I had no clue what the answers were and I kept checking back rigth after you posted hoping somoene would answer. good stuff brother. thank you.

I think ali got jumped on in a different thread yesterday where he opined that Vick looked better than Geno and is winning the QB battle, such as one exists.   So he overreacted slightly to Jimmy's post about how it's hard to make a trivia game work in this era of the internet.

I thought it was good trivia, I had no clue what the answers were and I kept checking back rigth after you posted hoping somoene would answer. good stuff brother. thank you.

thx for the positive feedback.  stats are easy to look up, but some trivia is not, for example, the exact circumstances surrounding harry wismer's death -- which may actually be an interesting thread for xtremely hard core jet buffs. anyway, i do appreciate the moderator who said i was welcome here.  so i will give this another shot, and see how it goes.  i  dont ever engage in personal feuds.  life is too short. however, i won\t hesitate to venture my personal opinions (and that is all they are. i have no inside knowledge whatsover as to what is going on inside the Jets camp) about a team i have followed since i was a kid, way back in the day. all i expect is for others to respect my right to have a different opinion.

thx for the positive feedback.  stats are easy to look up, but some trivia is not, for example, the exact circumstances surrounding harry wismer's death -- which may actually be an interesting thread for xtremely hard core jet buffs. anyway, i do appreciate the moderator who said i was welcome here.  so i will give this another shot, and see how it goes.  i  dont ever engage in personal feuds.  life is too short. however, i won\t hesitate to venture my personal opinions (and that is all they are. i have no inside knowledge whatsover as to what is going on inside the Jets camp) about a team i have followed since i was a kid, way back in the day. all i expect is for others to respect my right to have a different opinion.

Stick around. There are a few apes on the site that make fools of themselves by attacking others on a regular basis. Don't feed them by responding.

Actually... St. Patrick's Day was Sonny Werblin's birthday, so he always had a thing for the celebrations surrounding it. I'm sure he knew what colors he wanted long before he even decided to buy the team.

Actually... St. Patrick's Day was Sonny Werblin's birthday, so he always had a thing for the celebrations surrounding it. I'm sure he knew what colors he wanted long before he even decided to buy the team.

That's the story as I had heard it. And green was therefore Werblin's favorite color. A Brooklyn Jewish fella who fixates on St. Patrick's Day, go figure.

TRivia is a game from a bygone era now with the advent of the hand held computer access by anyone who has a cell phone. I just said it last night at my gig when i played a song and asked the audience to guess who sang it: Indiana Wants me-was a time that NOBODY would get the answer. Now some Hispanic girl rattled off the answer the minute it was over.

Jimmy - I would throw (something ... don't know what ... probably grapes) at you from the audience for playing that . ..lol

It depends on two factors. 

1. Do you have season tickets?

2. Do you buy authentic jerseys?

If you answer either one "no" you're not a true fan.

Jerseys kinda almost authentic from Hong Kong-where does that fit in the matrix of true fandom?

Unless you bought from NFL shop or Jetsshop you're out of luck. 

Seriously though, no 'true fan' wants me buying jerseys for active players. You may or may not recall my the track record I've posted with regards to jerseys/tees and bad luck. :)

It depends on two factors.

1. Do you have season tickets?

2. Do you buy authentic jerseys?

If you answer either one "no" you're not a true fan.

The "authentic jersey" battle was spectacular. Grinwis v Esola, to the death over stitching. Loved it.

My Favre and Sanchez jerseys went to the Salvation Amry. Saw a squegee guy off Atlantic Avenue wearing a Favre jersey last summer; could've bene mine.

Mawae my son wore to Pop Warner practice.

I'm keeping Revis and Mangold.

And they were all authentically...Asian. Not sure how anyone can justify paying $200+ for a garment they mostly spill beverages on 7 or 8 times a year. At $40, okay.

Seriously though, no 'true fan' wants me buying jerseys for active players. You may or may not recall my the track record I've posted with regards to jerseys/tees and bad luck. :)

I remember, PM me your address so I can send you jerseys of players I'm playing against in Fantasy each week 

Jimmy - I would throw (something ... don't know what ... probably grapes) at you from the audience for playing that . ..lol

The reason I started even THINKING about that song again John is because I work downtown outside at The WPB Marriott and there are ALWAYS sirens going off and cops and ambulances flying by on Okeechobee Blvd., and whenever I hear the sirens I'm reminded of the end of that song when the sirens are going and the cop tells him over the megaphone "You are surrounded, give yourself up!" and I do a fake siren and throw in some gunshots and then a scream and kill the guy at the end-after you hit me with a chicken wing bone even you would laugh if you heard me do it John. 

The reason I started even THINKING about that song again John is because I work downtown outside at The WPB Marriott and there are ALWAYS sirens going off and cops and ambulances flying by on Okeechobee Blvd., and whenever I hear the sirens I'm reminded of the end of that song when the sirens are going and the cop tells him over the megaphone "You are surrounded, give yourself up!" and I do a fake siren and throw in some gunshots and then a scream and kill the guy at the end-after you hit me with a chicken wing bone even you would laugh if you heard me do it John. 

LOL - I was laughing to myself wondering if you threw in a pedal loop with the sirens/megaphone

Archived