Now Milliner goes down!!!

pointman

Have you ever actually eaten a filet mignon?

I have, it is awesome! Just like Rex's teams tend to be, no matter how putrid the talent level is. Like last year when he took a team that almost any other HC would have been lucky to lead to 3-13, and led them to 8-8.  This year, the team would likely be a 6-10 or 7-9 team with anyone other than Rex. I fully expect us to go 10-6 or better thanks to Rex.

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No no. He's one of the best in the game. I assure you, I've been assured this by several posters here. It's all very reassuring.

I really do not think he is super bad.  I think his average season would certainly be better than 2013 Cromartie. I also do not think he is particularly good, nor do I want him out on an island manning up every down, all year.  I just wonder if Rex is going to lean on whoever they throw out there the way he did, to our detriment, with Cromartie in 2013 or if he is going to scheme around it.  Living with Patterson getting torched in a preseason game makes sense.  See what you have.  Doing it in September does not. 

Once upon a time our defense was supposed to go right down the tubes, and the season all but over, because the most important player on our defense - Kris Jenkins - went down for the season with the same injury.

Patterson (or someone else) will have to step up. IMO Patterson was brought in as a contingency plan, or to hold the fort for the first several games while a youngster got eased in, not to be the every-down starter all season. AA aside, they brought in several other young, fast "athletes" that nominally play CB. One of them is going to have to step it up sooner or later because Patterson (a) looks horrible so far (b) is unlikely to make it through 16 games anyway, even if Ryan schemes around so Patterson isn't such a liability.

I really do not think he is super bad.  I think his average season would certainly be better than 2013 Cromartie. I also do not think he is particularly good, nor do I want him out on an island manning up every down, all year.  I just wonder if Rex is going to lean on whoever they throw out there the way he did, to our detriment, with Cromartie in 2013 or if he is going to scheme around it.  Living with Patterson getting torched in a preseason game makes sense.  See what you have.  Doing it in September does not. 

I do think that's all it was. See what he can handle. Here's my problem with it, for anyone who still thinks I believe all Idzik moves to be works of art. Patterson was brought in to play in the scheme Ryan likes to run, not another one. Granted, there are few CBs who are Revis-lite in the first place. But if Patterson can't man up (assuming there wasn't some other underlying reason why he was so bad vs Indy, that we're not privy to) then he's no better of a scheme fit than others we passed on. Other CBs that fans - myself included - waved off as bad pickups because we'd have to change the entire D strategy around as soon as this guy walks onto the field.

We'll see what happens. It just happened, it's August 12th, and we don't yet know who's starting week 1. It's also entirely possible Patterson just had a bad day, for whatever reason. But bad it was. He may bounce back and be an adequate starter, or one of the next in line will.  In Milliner's place, for a game or two, Patterson and someone else almost assuredly will need to be on the field unless someone else is brought in, off his couch, and suddenly lights it up over the next 3 weeks.

I really do not think he is super bad. I think his average season would certainly be better than 2013 Cromartie. I also do not think he is particularly good, nor do I want him out on an island manning up every down, all year. I just wonder if Rex is going to lean on whoever they throw out there the way he did, to our detriment, with Cromartie in 2013 or if he is going to scheme around it. Living with Patterson getting torched in a preseason game makes sense. See what you have. Doing it in September does not.

I'm just recapping here:

He's not bad.

He's not good.

We don't want him covering anyone one on one.

His ceiling is the ghost of Antonio Cromartie's hip.

Now THAT, is what I call one hell of a grey area.

I'm just recapping here:

He's not bad.

He's not good.

We don't want him covering anyone one on one.

His ceiling is the ghost of Antonio Cromartie's hip.

Now THAT, is what I call one hell of a grey area.

He is not going to make us forget Revis, but teams are winning games and super bowls with worse CBs.  Aaron Ross won 2 against one of the best passing teams in the league, playing against Arrington and McCourty.  I don't think Wilson is any worse than those guys.  FWIW, the guys that people are looking to get, Flowers, Samuel, Clairborne were all pretty terrible in their own right. People forget that Geno Smith hung 3 TDs on the Falcons pass D which was rated 31st.  Ladies and gentlemen, it does get worse than the Jets.  

Archived