Now Milliner goes down!!!

pointman

The draft picks panning out is the strategy. If Idzik can't draft, he's gone. Anyone can do what he's doing...but you have to know how to draft.

That is true of course. But regardless it doesn't make it any better an idea to run the team Tannenbaum style like many here want.

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is true of course. But regardless it doesn't make it any better an idea to run the team Tannenbaum style like many here want.

All in all, this draft was a year too early considering our roster. We left too many high upside guys on the board for just ok players. Never got the sense we ever went best available player.

bingo.its the owners job to hire a competent general manager

He could've hired Gamble or Ross-young, hungry candidates looking to tackle the job and part of proven talent evaluation systems. Instead he hired a back office hack that was marginally(barely?) involved in decisions in Denver and Seattle. And may be he was hired because he agreed to save the owner some money and not fire Ryan, therefore, not pay 2 coachesat once. Further, heck, John, we aren't winning anything this year, save me a few bucks and keep that $30 odd million of open cap room in the cash account.Revis made me mad, so to hell with having a decent secondary.

Let's have a drum line and some BS fan point system isntead of quality football. Yeah, that will pack the seats.

Are you starting to get a picture here?

Tanny would have filled the roster with talent, with the money he has available. Idzik has been looking to save, using no money. A happy balance is where you want to be. But realistically, you can't have that. So in interest of winning games this season, I would take Tannenbaum. Idzik is, I think, looking to build for tomorrow... future seasons. This is the NFL.. its now or never. You can't predict future variables, so Idzik should stop acting like he can. We have one of the largest pots of gold in the league, at this point holding onto does nothing for us to win.

He could've hired Gamble or Ross-young, hungry candidates looking to tackle the job and part of proven talent evaluation systems. Instead he hired a back office hack that was marginally(barely?) involved in decisions in Denver and Seattle. And may be he was hired because he agreed to save the owner some money and not fire Ryan, therefore, not pay 2 coachesat once. Further, heck, John, we aren't winning anything this year, save me a few bucks and keep that $30 odd million of open cap room in the cash account.Revis made me mad, so to hell with having a decent secondary.

Let's have a drum line and some BS fan point system isntead of quality football. Yeah, that will pack the seats.

Are you starting to get a picture here?

and therein lies the problem.   at some point being a jets fan is just too tiring.   I get the whole rebuilding concept but why not get DRC for 8m/yr instead of patterson as a 3M rental?    what's the point of signing vick if he isn't going to play?   gino bracimini, seriously?   why 3 late rd wr's - does idzik really have that little confidence in his scouting dept or does he really envision these 3 wr's as starters in 2015?  

Tanny would have filled the roster with talent, with the money he has available. Idzik has been looking to save, using no money. A happy balance is where you want to be. But realistically, you can't have that. So in interest of winning games this season, I would take Tannenbaum. Idzik is, I think, looking to build for tomorrow... future seasons. This is the NFL.. its now or never. You can't predict future variables, so Idzik should stop acting like he can. We have one of the largest pots of gold in the league, at this point holding onto does nothing for us to win.

Tannenbaum wasn't terrible, his mistakes were just magnified because they were such colossal blunders.  

Tannenbaum wasn't terrible, his mistakes were just magnified because they were such colossal blunders.  

No one is perfect. His mistakes, I don't think were decisions made at his sole discretion. Regardless, he did a lot for us as fans during his time here. He brought in super talent, imo, during our run in 2010. I can't blame him for that. 

pointman

tanny would have no money, and no depth because he would have traded 5 picks for josh gordon and given him 5/80 with 50 gauranteed

c'mon dude

Look back at 2010. He fielded a solid solid squad. I think he did a good balancing act. We didn't have super depth, but that wasn't our issue. Shoot, our issue even today is depth.. AND the lack of real playmakers. Sure he tossed around picks like they were useless to him, but he also made good pick ups of the ones he had AND he brought in great talent as well. 

I am just saying, Tannenbaum as opposed to Idizk, would have made some moves instead of sitting on the pile of cash. We have the money, we have the needs, why not go out there and be pro-active about getting some playmakers in here.

so let me get this straight.

2 camp injuries = fire everybody ?

that includes the colts GM, right ?  imeanc'mon they lost 3 lineman the other night, hetotallyneedstogo

I am more about, 2 camp injuries.. OK, now what Idzik? Low ball Samuel. Greeeeat. 

Look back at 2010. He fielded a solid solid squad. I think he did a good balancing act. We didn't have super depth, but that wasn't our issue. Shoot, our issue even today is depth.. AND the lack of real playmakers. Sure he tossed around picks like they were useless to him, but he also made good pick ups of the ones he had AND he brought in great talent as well. 

I am just saying, Tannenbaum as opposed to Idizk, would have made some moves instead of sitting on the pile of cash. We have the money, we have the needs, why not go out there and be pro-active about getting some playmakers in here.

he had a tremendous luck on the injury front that kept him employed for an extra 2 years, and he would buy woody any shiny toy he wanted.  I prefer a grown up that can build for consistent long term competitiveness.  playmakers get to decide where they want to go, and day 1 FA's are usually the cap killers.  see miami dolphins, 2013

I say lets try the pittsburgh, NE, NYG way for a change

screw winning March

so let me get this straight.

2 camp injuries = fire everybody ?

that includes the colts GM, right ?  imeanc'mon they lost 3 lineman the other night, hetotallyneedstogo

No.

We're saying the owner is cheap and shortsighted.

And the GM, who was no NOBODY'S list to be an NFL GM, is simply happy to have such a job. Heck, Woody hasn't even bothered to fire the GM 2 regimes back.

We're questioning the priorities out at Florham Park.Without even questioning the draft(another evening, another thread or 100), some $30 million in cap room does not bespeak "going for it".Or even much trying.

As to Vick the only reason he's here is because while they hope against hope Smith suddenly turns into something, they know it's not likely. But if you bring Vick in, why not Revis, or at least DRC? It's schizo;either you let Smith play it out and let the kids take their lumps, or you bring in Vick and Revis or DRC and try to pull a rabbit out of the hat. Instead the Jets are half assed attempting incompatible things.

I understand the idea of building through the draft. But this is not 1975 and having $30 million in the Jets' bank account instead of in uniform is disgraceful. Woody Johnson set these parameters.

pointman

tanny would have no money, and no depth because he would have traded 5 picks for josh gordon and given him 5/80 with 50 gauranteed

c'mon dude

the jets have been to 4 afc championships games in 35 years.   2 of them were on Tanny's watch.    tannenbaum desperately wanted to win a super bowl and wasn't afraid to make bold moves.   whether is was favre, braylon, cromartie, or even moving up for sanchez tannenbaum went for it. 

the irony of the tanny era was that he got himself in trouble when he made scared moves.  he was afraid to lose harris and holmes so he grossly overpaid and stuck this team with horrible contracts.   the sanchez extension was based more on hope than logic and inexcusable.   those ugly contracts tarnished the tanny era but the 2 afc championship games were the most fun I've had as a jet fan since parcells in '98. 

he had a tremendous luck on the injury front that kept him employed for an extra 2 years, and he would buy woody any shiny toy he wanted.  I prefer a grown up that can build for consistent long term competitiveness.  playmakers get to decide where they want to go, and day 1 FA's are usually the cap killers.  see miami dolphins, 2013

I say lets try the pittsburgh, NE, NYG way for a change

screw winning March

But those shiny toys did their jobs and got us wins. At the end of the day, give me 1 win today, and I will worry about the maybe 1 win we could have next year.. next year. What Idzik has done so far isn't a foolproof plan. Every team out there goes and fills necessities. They are limited by money, because they spend it. We aren't limited, cause we still haven't spent it. We have it to spend. 

Its a young man's game. Get us our playmaker today, and if they leave later.. they leave. But realistically that hasn't been an issue for us. We don't lose out on too many top players we had, and wanted to retain (I love you Revis).

what do you think he is doing, vacationing on the cape ?

lol. I think he is sitting at the foot of Woody's bed getting patted on his head for saving him dollars. 

But seriously.. I hope he does do something. Thats all I am saying. Low balling Samuel (who I agree sucks and isn't worth much, but is worth more than peanuts) isn't doing enough. What should he do? I don't know! I am not the Jets GM!!

No.

We're saying the owner is cheap and shortsighted.

And the GM, who was no NOBODY'S list to be an NFL GM, is simply happy to have such a job. Heck, Woody hasn't even bothered to fire the GM 2 regimes back.

We're questioning the priorities out at Florham Park.Without even questioning the draft(another evening, another thread or 100), some $30 million in cap room does not bespeak "going for it".Or even much trying.

As to Vick the only reason he's here is because while they hope against hope Smith suddenly turns into something, they know it's not likely. But if you bring Vick in, why not Revis, or at least DRC? It's schizo;either you let Smith play it out and let the kids take their lumps, or you bring in Vick and Revis or DRC and try to pull a rabbit out of the hat. Instead the Jets are half assed attempting incompatible things.

I understand the idea of building through the draft. But this is not 1975 and having $30 million in the Jets' bank account instead of in uniform is disgraceful. Woody Johnson set these parameters.

This. Thank you. Everyone spends.. except us. Everyone is up against the cap filling their roster with as much talent as they can pull.. except us. 

Agreed. It's not easy to field a team that's capped out and 6-10.

Meh. He gave us good years and did his job. The cap situation was easily remedied and we didn't take a beating because of it. No GM is flawless. Tanny tried to bring in talent. Thats all I want, someone to be proactive in trying to get us a solid team. saving money isn't doing that.

You know, Aaron Hernandez isn't that terrible. He just made a few colossal blunders in his life.

so wait, we are comparing triple homicide to trading for Tim Tebow now? Scratch that on second thought maybe your right

The CB position was a huge need on this team over the offseason, and there were a lot of good ones available in free agency - not just DRC, he just happened to be the last good one signed. In week one of the preseason, every CB spot outside of Milliner's looked shaky. Before these injuries, the CB position looked like it was still going to be an issue. Losing the one good one they had to a high ankle sprain, and their big hope on the other side for the year with an ACL, just makes that need -that already existed- more glaring.

Not signing one of those CBs then was my big complaint during the free agent period. It still is.

The CB position was a huge need on this team over the offseason, and there were a lot of good ones available in free agency - not just DRC, he just happened to be the last good one signed. In week one of the preseason, every CB spot outside of Milliner's looked shaky. Before these injuries, the CB position looked like it was still going to be an issue. Losing the one good one they had to a high ankle sprain, and their big hope on the other side for the year with an ACL, just makes that need -that already existed- more glaring.

Not signing one of those CBs then was my big complaint during the free agent period. It still is.

You don't fix glaring holes on your team until you're ready for a Super Bowl run, you drunken sailor you.

If Rex had any balls, he'd walk into Mornhinweg's office this morning and tell him to open up the offense and start prepping GenoVick to throw it 30 times per game. The defense is going to get torched up and down the field (which was going to happen with Milliner and McDougle anyway), so scoring points is going to be at a premium. Time to take the handcuffs off of the quarterback position come hell or high water. Let Geno throw it around like he did in college and see if he responds. If you remember the Atlanta game last year, Geno looked great when he got in a rhythm. It's the games where they go in and tell him not to lose where he struggles.

If Rex had any balls, he'd walk into Mornhinweg's office this morning and tell him to open up the offense and start prepping GenoVick to throw it 30 times per game. The defense is going to get torched up and down the field (which was going to happen with Milliner and McDougle anyway), so scoring points is going to be at a premium. Time to take the handcuffs off of the quarterback position come hell or high water. Let Geno throw it around like he did in college and see if he responds. If you remember the Atlanta game last year, Geno looked great when he got in a rhythm. It's the games where they go in and tell him not to lose where he struggles.

Funny because I think he may do the complete opposite.  Our defense could actually be pretty terrible if Milliner doesn't come back healthy and play well, and our #2 doesn't get it done.  I would expect Rex to tell Marty to take as much time off the clock as possible to slow down the other teams' offense.  Should be interesting to see.  If you just say "lets chuck it up there 30+ times", your're going to see more INT's/short fields/winded defense.

Archived