Jets reach out to Asante Samuel

Gastineau Lives

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/1127/asante-samuel

The Jets reached out to free agent CB Asante Samuel after Dee Milliner and Dexter McDougle's injuries, but are "unlikely to sign him."

FOX Sports' Mike Garafolo reports the Jets are trying to "bargain shop," but Samuel wasn't having it. Samuel must be quite willing to retire because he hasn't had any other known nibbles since the Falcons cut him last February. He would be a candidate to start Week 1 in the injury-riddled Jets secondary.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lol.....the guy isn't even playing I wonder how much we are offering him.

the other side of the equation is how ******* cheap are we trying to be? we need some sort of serviceable cb's and Samuel might just be the best of what is sitting home

as long as we guarantee his contract for the year and aren't just trying to rent him for a few games then I'd think he should be willing to take vet minimum

the jets have a ton of cap space right now.   remind me again why they didn't sign one of the good free agent CB's during the off-season. 

someone needs to tell Idzik that the cap is going up significantly over the next few years.   

Because Woody doesn't actually care about winning?

Man-to-man corners are the real good corners.  Maybe the Jets figure that if they need to go zone, they can do it with the people they already have.

Yeah and that's probably a good decision at this point, tbh. Still doesn't change the fact that they should have come away with one in free agency.

the jets have a ton of cap space right now.   remind me again why they didn't sign one of the good free agent CB's during the off-season. 

someone needs to tell Idzik that the cap is going up significantly over the next few years.   

I don't understand that, nor do I understand why even asking that question gets you flamed around here.

Why is Idzik still trying to "bargain shop" at this point? SMH...

I don't understand that, nor do I understand why even asking that question gets you flamed around here.

Why is Idzik still trying to "bargain shop" at this point? SMH...

The guy is stuck on pinching pennies. Frustrating.

And no, I am not advocating he overpay for Samuel. I am saying, lets be realistic and not try to win a Super Bowl with bargain parts. Idzik thinks he is Seattle. 

Using up the cap prevents injuries.

Actually, yeah, it sorta does. If you want to be as cheap as possible you sign high risk guys on the cheap like Patterson. If they break down, you shouldn't be surprised.

New England upgraded their corners with the best of the best. The Jets added 2 injuries waiting to happen in Patterson and McDougle on the cheap. Sometimes you get what you pay for and Idzik refuses to pay. As a result, our secondary is garbage.

Actually, yeah, it sorta does. If you want to be as cheap as possible you sign high risk guys on the cheap like Patterson. If they break down, you shouldn't be surprised.

New England upgraded their corners with the best of the best. The Jets added 2 injuries waiting to happen in Patterson and McDougle on the cheap. Sometimes you get what you pay for and Idzik refuses to pay. As a result, our secondary is garbage.

But.  McDougle was a draft pick.  What does that have to do with Idzik being cheap?  Unless....  :soapbox:

We went 8-8 with an obviously hurt Cro trying to play man-to-man last year.  If things don't work out in preseason, Rex goes zone for the first several games until Milliner gets back and into shape, then we go back to man-to-man.  Meanwhile, an improved offense takes the pressure off the defense.

Using up the cap prevents injuries.

do you remember that Chinese guy, along time ago on tv, that used to sell his real estate course. he was on his boat loaded with women, talking about all his possessions."i can make you a millionaire".funny chit. his entire strategy for making millions using real estate was to make as many low ball offers as you could with the premise that 1 out of 100 would take your offer. reminds me a lot of john idzik. he should write a book."how to fill an nfl roster for pennies on the dollar". or better yet, come out with his own currency. "jet bucks". a spin off of Canadian tire money

Archived