Jets reach out to Asante Samuel

Gastineau Lives

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, it's amazing that they had one of the highest salary cap numbers in the NFL despite paying Wilson and Sherman a combined 1.2 mil, spending half their cap space on seven guys and having Zach Miller count 11 million against their cap. But tell me more about your take on it.

Sounds like a great plan.  Let's do that!

OK, I'll assume that is true for arguments sake, yet how does that "business" decision as you call it, account for the Jets not addressing the CB position either from a starter or depth perspective when it was one of the weakest parts of the team? There were good options that didn't demand to be the highest paid at their position, and the Jets had plenty of cap space to address them now and for the future. Fan bias aside, it makes zero sense.

You see, I have posts all over this forum expressing disappointment about the way Idzik handled the CB position dating back to the free agency period. So you're not arguing with me on that point. There are a lot of Jet fans complaining about just about everything on thie site -as opposed to the imaginary Jet fans you claim to listen to- but the CB spot has been my sore spot all offseason, 

But I always, 100%, understood not going after Revis. Great player, but he's a mercenary. The Jets don't need a mercenary right now.  

hip hip hooray !!!

the "seattle way" is to bring in lots of cheap, fast talent, and let them fight it out in thunder dome, extend the good ones and cut the other ones

I think idzik is using that model with a twist of buying one shiny toy per off season

when DRC makes his first business decision tackle, watch giants fans complain about how much they paid for him, lol

Exactly. There's nothing wrong with signing free agents but imagine if we did what half the fanbase wanted to do? Sign Orakpo, Desean and Decker, DRC, Vick, Johnson. This would have worked if Tanny was back at the helm but like I said, how would we sign Mo Wilk next year or other guys that we have to replace? For the fact that Idzik has such an option to sign someone in mid August is an accomplishment and shows that he's given the Jets flexibility, which is more important than "the splash".  

As a side note, Quincy Enunwa has been looking beastly in practice this week. 

Exactly. There's nothing wrong with signing free agents but imagine if we did what half the fanbase wanted to do? Sign Orakpo, Desean and Decker, DRC, Vick, Johnson. This would have worked if Tanny was back at the helm but like I said, how would we sign Mo Wilk next year or other guys that we have to replace? For the fact that Idzik has such an option to sign someone in mid August is an accomplishment and shows that he's given the Jets flexibility, which is more important than "the splash".  

As a side note, Quincy Enunwa has been looking beastly in practice this week. 

good to hear on enunwa.  jets WR's could be a tall group

hip hip hooray !!!

the "seattle way" is to bring in lots of cheap, fast talent, and let them fight it out in thunder dome, extend the good ones and cut the other ones

I think idzik is using that model with a twist of buying one shiny toy per off season

when DRC makes his first business decision tackle, watch giants fans complain about how much they paid for him, lol

The Seattle way relies on being amazing at drafting. Something that I attribute a lot more to Carrol and Schneider then the cap guy.

Then how is Idzik going to sign guys like Wilkerson next year while still being in position to deal in free agency? Its not like he just wants to keep the money for himself. He wants to keep the guys that we drafted and molded while adding supporting pieces (Patterson) while ultimately drafting and developing guys to replace those free agents (McDougle). When you do this however you need to figure out how to keep them once they become good players (Wilkerson) and get rid of the guys who didnt live up to expectations (Wilson). 

Idzik doesnt seem like a 1 year plan kinda guy. We have problems at the CB position, no doubt about it, but this is also why he used all 12 picks in the draft. This is the opportunity to have our scouting dept. earn their paycheck. Its competition at every facet of the team with Idzik, not just with the players. Its time for a guy like Ras-I Dowling to show that the Pats should have taken the time to develop. Brandon Dixon will get an opportunity too, though it may be a bit too early for him to shine, but you never know.

I respectfully disagree with this. 

The FA landscape has changed.   This season a lot of the top tier FA's re-signed before FA even started.   The new TV contract is about to explode the cap over the next few years and this trend will continue or even accelerate. 

My problem with Idzik is his unwillingness to bend...even a little. 

The Jets brought DRC in for a visit and then proceeded to low-ball him.   If they brought him in for a visit you have to assume they were interested.   Next we have the draft and the selection of 12 players. 

really, the Jets needed to take 12 players?    they couldn't have parted with a couple of picks to move up for a WR or pry Cousins away from WAS?    Personally, I think the Jets wanted Richardson or Matthews.   I believe that both came for visits and my guess is that Idzik was outbid or didn't want to make the move up.   Both would have a chance to start for this team which is in desperate need of weapons.  

next is the OL.   Gino Bracimini?   no thanks.  Now we have a 3rd, 4th, and 5th at OG and none of them have shown signs of being good.  For a team that wants to "ground and pound" our OL is certainly weak.   It's not a coincidence that all of the NYJ playoff teams have had very good OL's.  

Last is the handling of the QB situation.   I don't see how any rational observer could say that Geno has the potential to be elite.   He may be serviceable but no way is he going to be elite.   Once you come to that conclusion you throw out the whole 'building for the future' argument and you play the players that give you the best chance to win.   Right now that's vick.   I know he's fragile, but a vick injury is actually the perfect chance to work Geno into a starting role rather than handing him something he didn't earn.  

I get the whole "long-term plan" thing but my concern is that Idzik is building a long-term 9-7.   I certainly hope I'm wrong but you have to admit that these are all valid concerns.  

The FA landscape has changed.   This season a lot of the top tier FA's re-signed before FA even started.   The new TV contract is about to explode the cap over the next few years and this trend will continue or even accelerate. 

The Jets brought DRC in for a visit and then proceeded to low-ball him.   If they brought him in for a visit you have to assume they were interested.   Next we have the draft and the selection of 12 players. 

really, the Jets needed to take 12 players?    they couldn't have parted with a couple of picks to move up for a WR or pry Cousins away from WAS?    Personally, I think the Jets wanted Richardson or Matthews.   I believe that both came for visits and my guess is that Idzik was outbid or didn't want to make the move up.   Both would have a chance to start for this team which is in desperate need of weapons.  

next is the OL.   Gino Bracimini?   no thanks.  Now we have a 3rd, 4th, and 5th at OG and none of them have shown signs of being good.  For a team that wants to "ground and pound" our OL is certainly weak.   It's not a coincidence that all of the NYJ playoff teams have had very good OL's.  

Last is the handling of the QB situation.   I don't see how any rational observer could say that Geno has the potential to be elite.   He may be serviceable but no way is he going to be elite.   Once you come to that conclusion you throw out the whole 'building for the future' argument and you play the players that give you the best chance to win.   Right now that's vick.   I know he's fragile, but a vick injury is actually the perfect chance to work Geno into a starting role rather than handing him something he didn't earn.  

I get the whole "long-term plan" thing but my concern is that Idzik is building a long-term 9-7.   I certainly hope I'm wrong but you have to admit that these are all valid concerns.

Just read this now after posting something very similar in the John Idzik Plays It Safe thread.

The Jets brought DRC in for a visit and then proceeded to low-ball him.   If they brought him in for a visit you have to assume they were interested.   

I see your point, let me respond to the points that you've made. The Jets brought in DRC and proceeded to offer him what they believe he was worth, the Giants gave him more. I dont see that as low-balling especially when we're talking about a guy who has the talent obviously but has the label of taking plays off, not trying to tackle, and even talking about retirement. The Giants gave him something much more long term in respect to guaranteed money and now they run the risk of having that Cromartie we've heard about show up. Idzik didnt want to pay for that long term. There's nothing wrong with that. The Jets showed that they were interested, the Giants showed that they were desperate. 

Next we have the draft and the selection of 12 players. 

John Idzik himself stated that there were times where he wanted to move up but there was no fair deal to be made. The word was, he attempted to move up for Marquise Lee but could establish a deal that he was willing to take. Its not like the guy is cheap, he's simply not going to overpay which is what we've needed. How quickly do we forget Tanny. Look at the deal that he got Decker on. Everyone thought that Decker was going to garner about 9 million a year minimum, he got him for 7. It was a fair deal for both sides, Decker was never a #1 WR in Denver but they gave him 1A type money and its not an extremely long contract so if Decker can show and prove then he can most definitely get a new contract. 

Yes the Jets needed 12 players, its more to football than just the starters on offense and defense. The Jets depth has been terrible, as well as special teams. 3 or 4 of those rookies will be contributing to special teams while developing at their skill position.  Yes, the Jets are in desperate need of offensive weapons...and John delivered. He got you Eric Decker in free agency, he drafted a dynamic pass catching TE in Amaro, he got you Chris Johnson which is an obvious upgrade from the other guy we had who his name escapes me at the moment lol. He drafted a guy in Shaq Evans which in all honesty is a guy who can run really good routes, he's just inconsistent with his hands. Best believe he'll be on the Jug machine this entire year while he's on IR. I dont have to do the entire run down but its not like we're as bad as we were last year. We got a guy who can score TD's on deep and intermediate routes as well as in the redzone in Decker and we have a back who can consistently catch 50 passes a year out of the backfield. When Amaro comes on then add him to the mix and we have a pretty competent offense. 

Look, Idzik understands that this transformation will take a few seasons. The Jets fan also understands this, but its like watching paint dry for us fans...it can be brutal. Tanny would have attempted to fix everything this free agency and it probably would have looked good...for THIS YEAR. then we'd be back in salary cap hell, no way to upgrade our special teams, starters on the team getting older and slower (Bart Scott anyone???). John Idzik is looking for something much more sustaining, and even if its about using all 12 draft picks, imagine if next year we get the rest of the pieces that we need in Idzik's 3rd year in the chair and behold, he's not only gotten our new starting WR/OL/CB, but he was able to resign our stars like Wilkerson while already having the depth that we needed via the 12 draft picks last year and guys like Brian Winters. Guys who have been in the system for at least a year so if our brand new free agent or rookie sensation starters happens to get injured we have TRUE DEPTH guys who have been in the system and know what to do. 

Everything Idzik is doing I can see a sensible reason behind it. As for the cornerback situation, its only "Idzik's fault" because our #1 is hurt and our immediate back up is out for the season. its not like he didnt have the depth. The starter got hurt and the depth torn an ACL. That could have very well happened if we signed DRC, Verner or whomever else. Imagine if we didnt draft McDougle because we signed DRC and DRC tears an ACL and Milliner sprains his ankle the same day, then all of a sudden it isn't Idzik's fault because its DRC tearing an ACL and not McDougle? Better yet, what happens if we do draft McDougle and we sign Brandon Flowers and no one is hurt. Now we have to cut depth guys, people that we couldn't develop simply because we have too many CB's with high salaries? 

Look, teams are going to score regardless. The Jets problem isn't the CB's its putting points on the board. If we can score points then that will make the opposing team one-dimensional and much more predictable and that will help out our defense. CB is the least of our problems in that regard and Idzik is a genius lol.  :winking0001:

Its because he had Dee Milliner and Dexter McDougle just 48 hours ago. Thats like saying "why didnt we resign Mark Sanchez" after Geno and Vick goes down. Idzik had a plan at CB and we happen to be hit in that area. it happens. Instead of trying to sign your problems away how about some of these "depth" guys step up and show why they're a Jet. 

This is Darrin Walls opportunity. This is the rookie Brandon Dixon's opportunity. Everyone has ignored Dixon given the performance of Dexter McDougle. Dixon needs to show that he's a man cover corner and he expects to get some playing time. Milliner will have a month to nurse that ankle sprain. That give our corners the rest of the preseason to show and prove. This situation was bad at first, but we all knew that Milliner and McDougle was making this team. We have the opportunity to see more of a player that may not have gotten the opportunity and would have probably got cut if not for this. Guys need to step up from within or we'll never win a championship. 

problem is is that these guys who you suggest step up either are not ready or not that good. it sounds good,just not realistic.. this trial by fire nonsense is just that.the reason they call it trial by fire is because chances are,you will get burned. a gm having good intentions or having a plan that just failed, is just that.a failure. there is still time and the season isn't over yet,but it don't look good. I also doubt that milliner will be ready in a month. hopefully,idzik will learn from his mistakes and use those to make himself a better gm. not unlike any rookie player

Prime Samuel would be a good outcome for Milliner, but no thanks on this version. If they absolutely need the depth, sure, but there are a bunch of DBs on this roster who can run. That's more or less what's going to matter playing behind this DL. That, half decent hands, some discipline, and no penalties. 

The FA landscape has changed. This season a lot of the top tier FA's re-signed before FA even started. The new TV contract is about to explode the cap over the next few years and this trend will continue or even accelerate.

The Jets brought DRC in for a visit and then proceeded to low-ball him. If they brought him in for a visit you have to assume they were interested. Next we have the draft and the selection of 12 players.

really, the Jets needed to take 12 players? they couldn't have parted with a couple of picks to move up for a WR or pry Cousins away from WAS? Personally, I think the Jets wanted Richardson or Matthews. I believe that both came for visits and my guess is that Idzik was outbid or didn't want to make the move up. Both would have a chance to start for this team which is in desperate need of weapons.

next is the OL. Gino Bracimini? no thanks. Now we have a 3rd, 4th, and 5th at OG and none of them have shown signs of being good. For a team that wants to "ground and pound" our OL is certainly weak. It's not a coincidence that all of the NYJ playoff teams have had very good OL's.

Last is the handling of the QB situation. I don't see how any rational observer could say that Geno has the potential to be elite. He may be serviceable but no way is he going to be elite. Once you come to that conclusion you throw out the whole 'building for the future' argument and you play the players that give you the best chance to win. Right now that's vick. I know he's fragile, but a vick injury is actually the perfect chance to work Geno into a starting role rather than handing him something he didn't earn.

I get the whole "long-term plan" thing but my concern is that Idzik is building a long-term 9-7. I certainly hope I'm wrong but you have to admit that these are all valid concerns.

DRC got 5 years. Patterson got 1. That anyone still thinks money is relevant is absurd.

problem is is that these guys who you suggest step up either are not ready or not that good. it sounds good,just not realistic.. this trial by fire nonsense is just that.the reason they call it trial by fire is because chances are,you will get burned. a gm having good intentions or having a plan that just failed, is just that.a failure. there is still time and the season isn't over yet,but it don't look good. I also doubt that milliner will be ready in a month. hopefully,idzik will learn from his mistakes and use those to make himself a better gm. not unlike any rookie player

This isn't true at all. Jet fans were talking about Darren Walls since the end of last season. There was talk about him possibly being a starter for this team before we signed Patterson. Darren looked decent with the starters when he played last year, just go back to the atlanta game. Trial by fire is only nonsense for the guy not able to step up. If thats the case, dont employ them because its obvious that there's no need for them if they can never step in when you need them. saying that the statement is nonsense is like saying having depth is nonsense. might as well have 22 guys instead of 53. What I can say is that your failure comment is the nonsensical statement here. Its preseason. Dee Milliner isn't out for the season, a rookie is. Milliner doesnt even need to play week 1 because if we can't beat the raiders without Milliner then the CB spot are the least of our problems. So, Milliner can make his appearance week 2 and we can get a guy thats not signed to fill in for McDougle. Your failure statement is a reach. Come back to me when this situation cost us a meaningful game. Milliner will be back by week 2 which is when we will need him. 

This isn't true at all. Jet fans were talking about Darren Walls since the end of last season. There was talk about him possibly being a starter for this team before we signed Patterson. Darren looked decent with the starters when he played last year, just go back to the atlanta game. Trial by fire is only nonsense for the guy not able to step up. If thats the case, dont employ them because its obvious that there's no need for them if they can never step in when you need them. saying that the statement is nonsense is like saying having depth is nonsense. might as well have 22 guys instead of 53. What I can say is that your failure comment is the nonsensical statement here. Its preseason. Dee Milliner isn't out for the season, a rookie is. Milliner doesnt even need to play week 1 because if we can't beat the raiders without Milliner then the CB spot are the least of our problems. So, Milliner can make his appearance week 2 and we can get a guy thats not signed to fill in for McDougle. Your failure statement is a reach. Come back to me when this situation cost us a meaningful game. Milliner will be back by week 2 which is when we will need him. 

I guess I will just leave it at "we will waite and see". as far as the raiders go, I wouldn't chalk them up as a victory just yet. teams change year to year, as you already know. that game can go either way. milliner wont be ready by week 2. not imo. I expect a healthy milliner by week 6. hopefully you are right, and the next man steps up. that would be great for a change. all I know is, the jets needed an upgrade from last year at cb. I know it,you know it, and john idzik knows it. that's why he tried to sign a few of them during free agency. he just didn't get it done. but he always had his ace in the hole in mcdougle. would explain why he grabbed him so early. he thought he had his bases covered,but that didn't work out. dollars to donuts, if given a chance, idzik would love to have another crack at the corner back market. I dont care what he says in an interview. to me, that's a failure

I guess I will just leave it at "we will waite and see". as far as the raiders go, I wouldn't chalk them up as a victory just yet. teams change year to year, as you already know. that game can go either way. milliner wont be ready by week 2. not imo. I expect a healthy milliner by week 6. hopefully you are right, and the next man steps up. that would be great for a change. all I know is, the jets needed an upgrade from last year at cb. I know it,you know it, and john idzik knows it. that's why he tried to sign a few of them during free agency. he just didn't get it done. but he always had his ace in the hole in mcdougle. would explain why he grabbed him so early. he thought he had his bases covered,but that didn't work out. dollars to donuts, if given a chance, idzik would love to have another crack at the corner back market. I dont care what he says in an interview. to me, that's a failure

Im not chalking the raiders game up as a victory just yet, but I for sure expect the Jets to win the game with or without Milliner is all I'm saying. We both know that the Jets needed upgrades at the CB position, and Idzik provided guys to develop in order to do that in the long run with McDougle and Dixon. He provided Patterson, a guy who is a one year rental with a guy like Darren Walls to come in if Patterson gets injured. Idzik didnt want to invest a bunch of money in Corners because he understands that Corners dont win you superbowls, if they did the Jets would have had one already when they had Revis and Cro. With hindsight, of course Idzik would probably want another crack at the CB market, but it would also be that same hindsight needed for fans to talk about how Idzik dropped the ball on the CB position before Milliner and McDougle being injured. 

Now granted, I'm not saying that people didnt give their opinions about the position even after the draft, but it wasn't in a fashion of the Jets didnt have depth. It was "Lets sign Brandon Flowers because though he did terrible in a Rex-like offense in KC, he still made it to the pro bowl". People spoke about the position in respects to making a splash at the position, not adding building blocks. As I said earlier, if we signed Flowers and it was Flowers who tore his ACL we would still be in the same situation. People are only flipping because Idzik didnt make the typical splash that we all pretend to hate (Tanny) but we so desperately desire (Tanny) lol. 

Like I said in my original statement. Things like this no only test players but also test GM's. Im excited to see what our scouting dept. has put together with those rookies. Im excited to see what Reeves can do, Im excited to see Antonio Allen out there mixing it up and if Rontez Miles is ready to go then our secondary may  not be as bad as we think because though our CB position may be a bit week, that safety position is looking pretty stout. 

As Rex would say..."The best part about it is that we get to find out". 

the 1-year rental argument leads you to one place.....revis island.

The difference is that Patterson was a guy who was supposed to be good enough to start the season in case McDougal wasn't quite ready yet. But then after a month, give or take, McDougal would take the starting job.

The "problem" with signing Revis is he's not getting supplanted unless he rips his ACL again. McDougal may very well go his entire career and never be as good as the 2014 version of Revis (hardly a knock on McDougal). But as a one year rental, then you've got 2015 to look at as a start all over again situation. Personally I view 2015 as a more realistic shot than 2014 anyway. Even if Geno pans out, which I'm still hopeful will happen, he'll be a better QB in year 3 than in year 2. So will any receiving options we drafted in 2014 (TE included). I'd rather have McDougal with a half-year to a full year under his belt already before heading into the 2015 offseason.

Of course that point is moot now with him injured. IMO he viewed McDougal as his likely starter for all or most of 2014, with Patterson as the fallback.

How would the situation be any different if we signed a better CB than Patterson on a long-term deal, and if that CB was the one to go down for the season? There would be no McDougal because he's not going to take a CB that early with 2 starting CBs locked up for the next 3-4 years already. And there would be no Patterson either. It would have just been Verner or DRC, out for the season, and Walls, Reeves, Dowling, and maybe a 6th round DB, behind him (plus Allen, it seems).

The bad situation is because of McDougal's torn ACL. It wouldn't be a better situation if it was some expensive veteran's torn ACL instead.

The difference is that Patterson was a guy who was supposed to be good enough to start the season in case McDougal wasn't quite ready yet. But then after a month, give or take, McDougal would take the starting job.

The "problem" with signing Revis is he's not getting supplanted unless he rips his ACL again. McDougal may very well go his entire career and never be as good as the 2014 version of Revis (hardly a knock on McDougal). But as a one year rental, then you've got 2015 to look at as a start all over again situation. Personally I view 2015 as a more realistic shot than 2014 anyway. Even if Geno pans out, which I'm still hopeful will happen, he'll be a better QB in year 3 than in year 2. So will any receiving options we drafted in 2014 (TE included). I'd rather have McDougal with a half-year to a full year under his belt already before heading into the 2015 offseason.

Of course that point is moot now with him injured. IMO he viewed McDougal as his likely starter for all or most of 2014, with Patterson as the fallback.

How would the situation be any different if we signed a better CB than Patterson on a long-term deal, and if that CB was the one to go down for the season? There would be no McDougal because he's not going to take a CB that early with 2 starting CBs locked up for the next 3-4 years already. And there would be no Patterson either. It would have just been Verner or DRC, out for the season, and Walls, Reeves, Dowling, and maybe a 6th round DB, behind him (plus Allen, it seems).

The bad situation is because of McDougal's torn ACL. It wouldn't be a better situation if it was some expensive veteran's torn ACL instead.

They signed Patterson back in April, before they knew who they'd be drafting at CB, if they drafted one at all. Would've been nice to sign someone you saw as a potential full time starter at that point. 

They signed Patterson back in April, before they knew who they'd be drafting at CB, if they drafted one at all. Would've been nice to sign someone you saw as a potential full time starter at that point.

Once he didn't land the guys he really wanted (or the guys he really wanted at a certain price rather than at any price), I think he knew perfectly well he was drafting a CB in the first 3 rounds. It's entirely plausible he knew he'd be taking McDougal in round 3 as a fallback pick (in case he didn't draft a different CB in one of the first 2 rounds). It really was the very highest anyone saw McDougal getting taken, and most thought he'd have been there at least a round later.

With 12 picks, the picture painted (to me, anyway) is that he felt he'd rather take McDougal a round or two earlier than ideal than overpay (or over-guarantee) someone like DRC.

I can't read his mind but that's what it looks like. I don't think we'd have looked at McDougal in round 3 if he landed DRC for all his BAP talk the year before. This was a total need-based draft we just had.

if this was the plan the entire front office should be fired.    you don't sign a FA to a $3M with the hopes that he's not good enough to start.

if this was the plan the entire front office should be fired.    you don't sign a FA to a $3M with the hopes that he's not good enough to start.

dont agree, 3M can be  depth money in NFL these days  especially since no Year 2 obligations and he has a chance to be spot starter

How on earth did you arrive at that interpretation of what I wrote?

They signed him because they felt he was good enough to start. But a 1 year $3M guy is a starter that - much like many other #2 corners around the league - someone else can overtake over the summer or into the season if they're better. Someone like McDougle. Then we have a starting #2 CB for the remainder of this season plus 3 more. A team player who doesn't talk of retiring in the prime of his career, while bouncing from team to team to team because no team wants him for long enough.

Again, the biggest problem is the injury. Pick the corner you truly wanted the Jets to sign. Then remove Patterson and McDougle, since neither would be here. Then what's the situation if that ideal #2 CB busts his ACL? In what way is that better?

Though certainly not a sure thing, I think the #2 CB position would have been ok in the short term (and better than ok long-term) prior to the injury. I do think there would have been some early season lumps, but I wouldn't trade a month of lumps for locking into a few guaranteed years of a CB with 1 really good season. Whether that's a CB who is on his 4th team in like 5 years, or whether it's a CB who - in a contract year - shows up to a game so hung over he can't play. Nor for a 30 year old CB who may have a chronic hip problem and (alleged) locker room issues.

3M 1-year rental is very different than 12M when you're not a competitor and can carry over cap.

Also, Revis was never happening.

I wouldn't've signed Revis, but money wasn't/isn't an issue. In addition to the $21-25M in cap space they still have this year, they also have over $12M in dead money tied up in Sanchez, Cromartie, and Holmes that'll come off the books next year. They're loaded. They could've afforded to overpay (if you will) a guy like Davis or Munnerlyn to shore up a weak area. 

I wouldn't've signed Revis, but money wasn't/isn't an issue. In addition to the $21-25M in cap space they still have this year, they also have over $12M in dead money tied up in Sanchez, Cromartie, and Holmes that'll come off the books next year. They're loaded. They could've afforded to overpay (if you will) a guy like Davis or Munnerlyn to shore up a weak area. 

Again, I don't think it was so much about the money as not wanting these guys on the team for the duration of the contracts they got.

Again, I don't think it was so much about the money as not wanting these guys on the team for the duration of the contracts they got.

I don't know about that. They were in the running for a long time with Davis. Hard to believe they were offering one year while the Colts were offering four. And if that was their thinking, I don't like it. You have a pretty good second year player potentially manning the #1 CB spot on his rookie deal, signing a solid vet for years on the other side solidifies the position as a whole for years rather inexpensively. Even if that other guy cost $10M per. 

I don't know about that. They were in the running for a long time with Davis. Hard to believe they were offering one year while the Colts were offering four. And if that was their thinking, I don't like it. You have a pretty good second year player potentially manning the #1 CB spot on his rookie deal, signing a solid vet for years on the other side solidifies the position as a whole for years rather inexpensively. Even if that other guy cost $10M per. 

No. Davis I think was a different story.  I think he was probably the only guy they were willing to invest in long term.  So, that was the one where I think we lost out.  But, I can understand that when a guy goes back to his original team who happens to be better than the other interested team.

No. Davis I think was a different story.  I think he was probably the only guy they were willing to invest in long term.  So, that was the one where I think we lost out.  But, I can understand that when a guy goes back to his original team who happens to be better than the other interested team.

Maybe another million a year could've changed his mind. 

Munnerlyn would've been a good choice to sign for multiple years, too. You'd hope he or Wilson could man the outside (although they apparently don't believe Wilson can), and next year when they let Wilson go, they they have his replacement already in house. 

I've said it before. I'm happy with the vast majority of the things that Idzik's doing, and the way he's doing them, but feel he came up well short at CB. Missed opportunity. 

Again, the biggest problem is the injury. Pick the corner you truly wanted the Jets to sign. Then remove Patterson and McDougle, since neither would be here. Then what's the situation if that ideal #2 CB busts his ACL? In what way is that better?

what does $20M+ of cap space do for this team?  

what is the goal, to go 8-8 every year or to win the AFCe?    with $20M cap space why not use 10 of it to keep Revis away from the pats?

So to answer your question, YES the Jets would be better off if they had signed Revis and he blew out his ACL b/c at least he wouldn't be in NE. 

Any time the Jets can sign a player away from NE it strengthens our team and weakens theirs which is doubly good.  

what does $20M+ of cap space do for this team?  

what is the goal, to go 8-8 every year or to win the AFCe?    with $20M cap space why not use 10 of it to keep Revis away from the pats?

So to answer your question, YES the Jets would be better off if they had signed Revis and he blew out his ACL b/c at least he wouldn't be in NE. 

Any time the Jets can sign a player away from NE it strengthens our team and weakens theirs which is doubly good.

That type of logic is how we ended up with Gholston, and DRob before him.

You build the team you want, not the team you want to stop NE from getting.

And it's not purely $20M this year, as though you use it or lose it. It is not a subtle point, yet it gets repeatedly glossed over as such.

I think it's mindless to go all-in with the most important position on either side of the field still in question. Signing Revis for $12M for one year, just to keep NE from getting him for one year, IMO is mindless at worst, irresponsible at best.

The goal was to find a long-term solution at the position, not a 1-year max-out as though we were a second corner away from being favored contenders. There were 2 ways of going about this. The first was to sign a guy to 4-5 years (e.g. Verner). The other was to draft a long-term guy, but in in the meantime to also sign a hold-the-fort guy who COULD start but ideally would merely be insurance in case a newly-drafted player isn't ready yet.

Revis as an in-between solves nothing really, other than reducing future flexibility. He doesn't make the Jets 2014 realistic contenders instead of 8-8 or worse. He really doesn't. Further, you're not going to find out what else you drafted (if you even took someone that high after signing a Revis), because no rookie is going to see the field then unless Revis busts up another knee.

3M 1-year rental is very different than 12M when you're not a competitor and can carry over cap.

Also, Revis was never happening.

This is the heart of the matter. I don't know what the point of everyone harping on this is, the dude wasn't coming back here. 

If were signing players while being efficient with the coin I still dont get the Chris Johnson signing. I'm watching Dexter Mccluster who's younger, cheaper and a better receiver make plays for the Titans. And less primadonna.

Rex probably watched tape of CJ from 4 years ago, saw one play and called the shot. Same as Plaxico. 

Archived