Double A playing CB 2 int's today

F.Chowds

1. Bad pass by Vick

2. Terrible attempt to breakup the play by Hill

3. Nice catch and recovery from AA

Yeah, don't think we learned much on this except that Allen did well to stay tight with Hill and fight for the ball.  We'll see if Allen can handle himself when a throw is made properly over the top. 

As far as safeties, we still have Josh Bush and Rontez Miles.  Perhaps this is their chance to stick at safety because the coaches feel AA can play corner, but those guys can only play safety?  Just throwing that out there.

Yeah, don't think we learned much on this except that Allen did well to stay tight with Hill and fight for the ball.  We'll see if Allen can handle himself when a throw is made properly over the top. 

Exactly, nice to see him make a play but I want to see him actually make a play on a well thrown ball.

As far as safeties, we still have Josh Bush and Rontez Miles.  Perhaps this is their chance to stick at safety because the coaches feel AA can play corner, but those guys can only play safety?  Just throwing that out there.

R. Miles ran a 4.62 40 and J. Bush ran a 4.51.    So Bush has the speed, it would appear.

instead of all the naysaying because the ball was underthrown I'm gonna say........nice play!!! quarterbacks underthrow balls every game. Antonio turned, adjusted and made the play. good job!

Well, Hill is faster.. Why didn't he turn and adjust faster?

I think that some of us are hoping that Pryor is an All World safety and like the terminator... doesn't need anyone's help.

I watched it 4x and still can't see the part where he caught it with the wobbly camera work. Heard someone yell, "No way! No Way!" clearly, though. Also Geno Smith in the background mooning him.

Looks like he had safety help over the top on the pick. Could have been man under or zone. I expected the Jets to play a lot of zone or man under before the injuries. With the NFL rule changes it would probably be smart to play less man cover one or cover zero this year if you could get away with it. Allen is built like a good zone/man under corner. He can hit very well and is just fast enough.

FWIW: Kyle Wilson, and most other players on our roster would have never seen the ball coming. 

NFL storyline of the year -- AA starts at CB and goes on to an all-pro season.  Back to the real world, he probably cannot get burned any more than aging couch-potato Asante Samuel.

He has good size. I cannot imagine he has the speed for the position though. But then, ty Law played pretty well when he came here. The guy does seem to have a decent nose for the ball.

He has good size. I cannot imagine he has the speed for the position though. But then, ty Law played pretty well when he came here. The guy does seem to have a decent nose for the ball.

Maybe a signal that some switch up in coverage tactics is in the works, too.  

Maybe a signal that some switch up in coverage tactics is in the works, too.

yeah, all this man to man stuff is fine, but it is so hard to find good ones. And some of them get hurt. And mixing it up gets you more turnovers. I know they played more zone at the end of last year and Milliner got some INTs. With all the regulations going to the offense, it might be more of a way to go.

Looks like he had safety help over the top on the pick. Could have been man under or zone. I expected the Jets to play a lot of zone or man under before the injuries. With the NFL rule changes it would probably be smart to play less man cover one or cover zero this year if you could get away with it. Allen is built like a good zone/man under corner. He can hit very well and is just fast enough.

FWIW: Kyle Wilson, and most other players on our roster would have never seen the ball coming.

Yeah, to your last point, Wilson is often - very often - in the right position and just doesn't pick off passes. A lot of the reason is just what you've said. It's so strange, I mean we saw that with him right in that first game against Baltimore as a rookie. And we were like, "OK, hey the hard part is sticking with your man. Now he just needs to turn his head." And for 4 years and counting, nothing's changed and even the fans know his whole routine already.

I'm quite sure it's been addressed. And it's not like there weren't a couple of awesome CBs on the team to watch and learn from. Kid must be the dumbest thing on 2 legs.

.And we were like, "OK, hey the hard part is sticking with your man. Now he just needs to turn his head." And for 4 years and counting, nothing's changed and even the fans know his whole routine already.

I'm quite sure it's been addressed. And it's not like there weren't a couple of awesome CBs on the team to watch and learn from. Kid must be the dumbest thing on 2 legs.

If you turn your head, you tend to slip back half a stride or so and you look worse on the replay.  Wilson has adopted the style-I've seen other CBs do it as well-of stay close to your man, when he reaches out and grabs the ball knock it out of his hands before he can pull it in.  It works sometimes. 

If you turn your head, you tend to slip back half a stride or so and you look worse on the replay.  Wilson has adopted the style-I've seen other CBs do it as well-of stay close to your man, when he reaches out and grabs the ball knock it out of his hands before he can pull it in.  It works sometimes. 

Playing the style you are describing requires the ability to read the receiver to anticipate the arrival and location of the ball and defend accordingly.  Wilson does not have a shred of this ability and no instinctive anticipation whatsoever.  

Yeah, to your last point, Wilson is often - very often - in the right position and just doesn't pick off passes. A lot of the reason is just what you've said. It's so strange, I mean we saw that with him right in that first game against Baltimore as a rookie. And we were like, "OK, hey the hard part is sticking with your man. Now he just needs to turn his head." And for 4 years and counting, nothing's changed and even the fans know his whole routine already.

LOL!!! I know right! I've seen high school players make more progress in one year. It is really strange that he has never changed that. Its really just a matter of his eyes not seeing the right things. Which kind of makes it even more puzzling. How are his eyes seeing the right things all the way up until the ball is thrown? What is he looking at when he is covering? He can't be looking at the hips or he would see the hands go up for the ball. He can't be looking at the head or he would see it turn. He really must just be THAT dumb.

Lets look at the positive here....if this would have happened during the season we would be looking at a pretty disastrous turn out after just a week of practice to find these cornerback replacements.  

At least there is time to try a bunch of guys out and develop some new schemes before we even play our first regular season game. Someone will step up 

Milliner and Wilson have boards for hands, and that's why we get few interceptions.

Meh, if Wilson ever saw the football he might catch it. It's not his hands that are the issue, it's his eyes. And Milliner struggled for 3/4 of the season as a rookie learning a complex defense, but the light went on for him in the final quarter of the year, and he grabbed three ints in the season's final two games. I'm not worried about his hands, either, I'm worried about his ankle.

I wondered if they might dip into the safety depth and play someone out of position. Hell, if they can do it with Joe McKnight, then a safety would be a much easier task.

Cheers to Allen. Dude just wants to be on this team.

Gotta give props to Allen too. He was kind of a hybrid safety/linebacker in college, was cut by us, and is fighting to stay on the team. Rooting for him to work out.

What am I missing?  I thought AA contributed a significant amount last year notably against the Pats and the Dirty Birds especially for a 7th rounder.  Is he actually fighting for a spot on this team? I thought between Landry and AA we had a decent safety position with Pryor making contributions to come.  

What am I missing?  I thought AA contributed a significant amount last year notably against the Pats and the Dirty Birds especially for a 7th rounder.  Is he actually fighting for a spot on this team? I thought between Landry and AA we had a decent safety position with Pryor making contributions to come.  

No, I think he's got a roster spot locked up. What you are missing is that the Jets are using him at corner this week. A position change might take him from being safety depth to starting at corner for a while. He's absolutely making this team though and has already out-performed his draft value.

Archived