Jets shouldn't rush Milliner back

AFJF

I get that we don't know if Milliner is the real deal or not, but the Jets have to treat him as if he is.  Even if it means sitting him for the first few weeks of the season, that's what they need to do.  If he gets rushed back, that could mean getting 14 weeks of play hampered by the injury, or play it smart and get 11-12 games of Dee at 100%.

Thoughts?

Do they know if it's a high sprain or not? Either way, you hope a month is enough time to recover. Sitting him out of the opener probably makes sense if he's not 100%. Those high ankle sprains are scary, though. I remember it seemed like Aaron Glenn was never the same after he suffered his. 

I saw a report of 3-4 weeks this morning, thats manageable. If he misses the Raiders game I don't think that is the end of the world. The last thing you want is for him to be gimpy, come back too soon and suck, and to hurt his confidence again. He was playing really well this camp, so you have to think he was gaining momentum mentally as well as physically which is important for a second year player. So I'm with you, don't rush him back we need him to come back as a number 1 corner.

I get that we don't know if Milliner is the real deal or not, but the Jets have to treat him as if he is.  Even if it means sitting him for the first few weeks of the season, that's what they need to do.  If he gets rushed back, that could mean getting 14 weeks of play hampered by the injury, or play it smart and get 11-12 games of Dee at 100%.

Thoughts?

I agree. It also helps that we're playing the raiders week one. Milliner can sit out week 1 if need be. Milliner can sit out until Sept 14 when we play the Packers. 

I get that we don't know if Milliner is the real deal or not, but the Jets have to treat him as if he is. Even if it means sitting him for the first few weeks of the season, that's what they need to do. If he gets rushed back, that could mean getting 14 weeks of play hampered by the injury, or play it smart and get 11-12 games of Dee at 100%.

Thoughts?

It's an ankle sprain. He's fine. Sucks he's not getting valuable reps in camp but its just a sprain. He should play as soon as he can go full speed.

It's an ankle sprain. He's fine. Sucks he's not getting valuable reps in camp but its just a sprain. He should play as soon as he can go full speed.

Agreed!  The most important part of what you said is "full speed".  I don't want any "Well he's at about 80% so that's good enough" becasue what are the chances it gets better after a few weeks of playing?  It'll only get worse and he'll never get to full speed.

Those high ankle sprains can be nasty though. The syndesmosis is basically what holds the tibia and fibula (two lower leg bones) together. It depends on the severity of the sprain as it could really affect the structural integrity of that lower leg to the point where you need surgery. That's obviously absolute worst-case scenario, but I'll feel much better when he has the MRI. Either way, this team is gonna go as far as Geno takes them and that has been the case all along.

Roddy White had a High Ankle Sprain Last year and pretty much wasn't the same player all year long. And everybody knows what he can do.  

You also have to remember Milliner had a hamstring injury and nagging injury issues last season.  And it took all offseason to "recover" from it.  Or at least that was the excuse on why he didn't really work hard this offseason.     Nothing like rushing a guy back too soon and he winds up hurt again or is at 75 percent all year long.

Those high ankle sprains can be nasty though. The syndesmosis is basically what holds the tibia and fibula (two lower leg bones) together. It depends on the severity of the sprain as it could really affect the structural integrity of that lower leg to the point where you need surgery. That's obviously absolute worst-case scenario, but I'll feel much better when he has the MRI. Either way, this team is gonna go as far as Geno takes them and that has been the case all along.

No doubt but I didn't think high bad ankle sprains swell that much. In my experience a huge swell is a good thing.

I'm no doctor just speaking on past ankle issues. I've had a ton.

No doubt but I didn't think high bad ankle sprains swell that much. In my experience a huge swell is a good thing.

I'm no doctor just speaking on past ankle issues. I've had a ton.

I honestly have no idea how the degree of swelling correlates to the type of sprain, but I just hope the kid is back as soon as he can.  All in all, I won't be heartbroken if he misses week 1, it's a winnable game without him. He's definitely going to be missed if he can't get back from that stretch of games against elite receivers though. 

Archived