Geno Smith May or May Not know the playbook, but he sure can run a film projector (MERGED)

Matt39

A article I read shows work ethic.

Geno Smith impresses Jets with film study

Posted by Mike Florio on August 15, 2014, 8:30 AM EDT

AP

Defensive coordinators who’ll face Jets quarterback Geno Smith have spent the last seven months studying film of his rookie season.  So, in addition to studying his own film, Smith decided on his own to start studying film of the defensive coordinators he’ll be facing.

And the Jets are impressed by that.

Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News explains that Smith got the idea from advisor and friend John Thornton, whose advice was simple:  “Watch the guys who are planning on attacking you.”

“That’s smart as hell though,” Ryan told Mehta.  “I never even knew about it. . . .  He wants to be great.  He just doesn’t want to be a guy that gets through.  God touched the kid.  He’s got so much ability.  He can throw, he can run, he can do all that.  But it’s that work ethic.  As a quarterback, you almost have to be a gym rat.  And he’s done it.”

Smith saw it as no big deal.

“I like watching film anyway,” Smith said. “It was one of those things where I didn’t have anything to do anyway, so I just wanted to kind of get ahead of stuff.”

But doesn’t every starting quarterback study in the offseason both his own performances and the strategies and tactics of the teams he’ll be facing in the coming year?  Maybe the implicit news here is that not many do.

Of course, a potential disconnect remains between studying film and performing at a high level when the reps are real.  Especially when the starting quarterback’s understudy is a guy whose God-given abilities have made it easy for him at times to not give a damn about studying film.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I take Dominator's word over Boomer's. 

nKMI1uM.gif

He alluded to before the video starting that coaches had been covering for Geno.

Here's a article I came a cross

Geno Smith impresses Jets with film study

Posted by Mike Florio on August 15, 2014, 8:30 AM EDT

AP

Defensive coordinators who’ll face Jets quarterback Geno Smith have spent the last seven months studying film of his rookie season.  So, in addition to studying his own film, Smith decided on his own to start studying film of the defensive coordinators he’ll be facing.

And the Jets are impressed by that.

Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News explains that Smith got the idea from advisor and friend John Thornton, whose advice was simple:  “Watch the guys who are planning on attacking you.”

“That’s smart as hell though,” Ryan told Mehta.  “I never even knew about it. . . .  He wants to be great.  He just doesn’t want to be a guy that gets through.  God touched the kid.  He’s got so much ability.  He can throw, he can run, he can do all that.  But it’s that work ethic.  As a quarterback, you almost have to be a gym rat.  And he’s done it.”

Smith saw it as no big deal.

“I like watching film anyway,” Smith said. “It was one of those things where I didn’t have anything to do anyway, so I just wanted to kind of get ahead of stuff.”

But doesn’t every starting quarterback study in the offseason both his own performances and the strategies and tactics of the teams he’ll be facing in the coming year?  Maybe the implicit news here is that not many do.

Of course, a potential disconnect remains between studying film and performing at a high level when the reps are real.  Especially when the starting quarterback’s understudy is a guy whose God-given abilities have made it easy for him at times to not give a damn about studying film.

COVER UP!!!

:face:  honestly, how you can make that statement without a clown car driving around you is mystery. Geno may very well end up being a decent NFL QB, but last season he was by far the worst QB I have ever seen.

I don't know how you could say he was the worst QB you have ever seen. He was awesome the last 4 games of the year, and the guy is a workaholic. I am expecting him to be a top 10 QB this year, and a top 5 within 3 years. The guy has all the tools it takes to be a great QB, he has a cannon for an arm, he is very accurate, he is a really hard worker, and he can run, but only does it when he needs to = recipe for a great QB. I am going to remember this post of yours when Geno is going to the pro-bowl every year and remind you of how foolish you look.

I don't know how you could say he was the worst QB you have ever seen. He was awesome the last 4 games of the year, and the guy is a workaholic. I am expecting him to be a top 10 QB this year, and a top 5 within 3 years. The guy has all the tools it takes to be a great QB, he has a cannon for an arm, he is very accurate, he is a really hard worker, and he can run, but only does it when he needs to = recipe for a great QB. I am going to remember this post of yours when Geno is going to the pro-bowl every year and remind you of how foolish you look.

Did you just start watching football? It was widely reported that the Jets had to scale down the playbook for Geno at the end of the season because they were afraid his confidence would be shot. Going against these tomato cans and what Geno did, is what you call "awesome?

OAK   16-25   219   1td -1int

CAR   15-28  167    1td-1int

CLE    20-36  214    2tds-0ints 

MIA     17-27  190    0tds-0ints

This is what you call assume??? :rl:

Link?

Link yourself, like you don't remember the dozens of threads here on the reports. Heck Rex came out himself and publicly said the they were going to simplify the playbook for Geno, but I'm sure you need a link to remember that right Troll killer.

Didn't bother to even look, and it really doesn't matter because everyone in Jet world knows that in Geno's last four games he was SUPER AWESOME!!! :1st:  

Literally nobody thinks this way.  You think we think this way but no Jets fans think this way.  Its strange that you think we think this way.   

Didn't bother to even look, and it really doesn't matter because everyone in Jet world knows that in Geno's last four games he was SUPER AWESOME!!! :1st:  

You suck at this even from usual troll standards. 

One guy overstates how Geno performed down the stretch last year and you try to make it out like everyone here is saying Geno was "awesome" late in the season last year. 

Geno showed some significant improvement in those games and it was reflected in the Jets record. You like to bring up the level of competition but Geno has no control over the schedule. Not to mention that if you want to base it on that, Geno's best individual performance down the stretch came in the loss to Carolina, which was easily the toughest opponent he faced in that run. 

To suggest he didn't demonstrate improvement would simply be moronic. You bring up some nonsense about the Jets having to simplify the playbook, which is something that is normally done for every struggling rookie QB as if it is some damnation of the kid's intellect. Well, guess what? Based on his Wonderlic score, Dan Marino was functional retard. 

Literally nobody thinks this way.  You think we think this way but no Jets fans think this way.  Its strange that you think we think this way.   

stevegrunder, on 15 Aug 2014 - 3:43 PM, said:snapback.png

Really?

You suck at this even from usual troll standards. 

One guy overstates how Geno performed down the stretch last year and you try to make it out like everyone here is saying Geno was "awesome" late in the season last year. 

Geno showed some significant improvement in those games and it was reflected in the Jets record. You like to bring up the level of competition but Geno has no control over the schedule. Not to mention that if you want to base it on that, Geno's best individual performance down the stretch came in the loss to Carolina, which was easily the toughest opponent he faced in that run. 

To suggest he didn't demonstrate improvement would simply be moronic. You bring up some nonsense about the Jets having to simplify the playbook, which is something that is normally done for every struggling rookie QB as if it is some damnation of the kid's intellect. Well, guess what? Based on his Wonderlic score, Dan Marino was functional retard. 

Your the one that tried to defend his post, troll killer.  

Your the one that tried to defend his post, troll killer.  

Wow, you're gone for like 5 years and your reading comprehension hasn't improved a bit. 

1. Steve Grunder made his overstatement.

2. You made the claim that it was "widely reported" that the Jets had to simplify the playbook for Geno without providing a link. 

3. I asked you for a link. 

Where did I defend his post you blithering idiot?

Oh my god, you're so boring. If you insist on trolling the site, at least be a little entertaining. 

So responding to a poster who describes Geno's play over his last four games as, "Awesome!!", is trolling? I happen to think Geno sucks, so do some Jets fans but taking issue with that comment is Tolling? Please explain how and I won't do it anymore.

So responding to a poster who describes Geno's play over his last four games as, "Awesome!!", is trolling? I happen to think Geno sucks, so do some Jets fans but taking issue with that comment is Tolling? Please explain how and I won't do it anymore.

Taking issue with his comment is fine. It's when you start saying that all Jets fans feel that way is when you turn into a troll, you obnoxious boob. 

The fact that you're only here to be a dick is a given, it's your boringness that I have the real problem with, though. 

Taking issue with his comment is fine. It's when you start saying that all Jets fans feel that way is when you turn into a troll, you obnoxious boob. 

Re- read it, I said nothing of the sort until you jumped into the thread trying to defend an idiotic post on how awesome Geno's last four games were. You jumped in with your pom poms waiving, and never bothered to address the actual post, you just attacked like you always do Troll killer.

Re- read it, I said nothing of the sort until you jumped into the thread trying to defend an idiotic post on how awesome Geno's last four games were. You jumped in with your pom poms waiving, and never bothered to address the actual post, you just attacked like you always do Troll killer.

:face:

OH FOR ****'S SAKE!

Pompoms waving?

Tell me. Shasta... what color is the sky in your world?

:face:

OH FOR ****'S SAKE!

Pompoms waving?

Tell me. Shasta... what color is the sky in your world?

So your saying that you didn't jump to respond to a post that had nothing to do with you and try and defend the argument that Geno was awesome in his last four games? Really, that's what your trying to say? Please, you wrap it up any way you like, the fact of the matter is you don't like anyone being critical of the Jets and you run to defend anything negative said by Pats fans or Jets fans, it's your M.O. Troll killer. It's what made you the only Mod in the history of Mods to be banned by his fellow fans. That says it all, you can pretend to be fair and balanced but most know better.

So your saying that you didn't jump to respond to a post that had nothing to do with you and try and defend the argument that Geno was awesome in his last four games? Really, that's what your trying to say? Please, you wrap it up any way you like, the fact of the matter is you don't like anyone being critical of the Jets and you run to defend anything negative said by Pats fans or Jets fans, it's your M.O. Troll killer. It's what made you the only Mod in the history of Mods to be banned by his fellow fans. That says it all, you can pretend to be fair and balanced but most know better.

Are you ******* kidding me? Someone with a 1st grade reading level would tell you you're wrong. 

I asked you for a link about the Jets simplifying the playbook for Geno you moronic lunatic (Which you have effectively changed the subject on and haven't yet provided.) I said the poster in question "OVERSTATED" Geno's performance. 

Are you seriously this ******* stupid. PR37 is reading this right now and saying to himself, "**** Shasta is damn imbecile."

Archived