Rex on Calvin Pryor

faba

By Darryl Slater | The Star-Ledger 
Email the author | Follow on Twitter 
on August 14, 2014 at 10:50 AM, updated August 14, 2014 at 10:54 AM

Reddit

Email

At long last, the Jets’ first-round draft pick, safety Calvin Pryor, will debut in Saturday night’s second preseason game, at the Bengals.

Pryor has plenty of catching up to do, since he missed so much time in training camp because of a concussion.

On Tuesday, Pryor debuted in first-team full-pads team period action at practice. He immediately offered a preview of what you might see in Cincinnati. It was just “a little love tap,” as he put it after knocking wide receiver Saalim Hakim on his butt with a thud tackle.

“That hit’s going to be for real on Saturday night,” said Jets coach Rex Ryan. “So yeah, we’re definitely looking forward to it.”

Pryor has long been known as a hard hitter. On Saturday, he will have plenty of opportunities to make hits, because Ryan said he will play with the first-, second- and third-team defenses.

Whether Pryor starts is unclear, but he has not gotten a lot of first-team work in practice. Since safety Antonio Allen moved to cornerback, where he will start Saturday, Dawan Landry and backup Jaiquawn Jarrett have gotten the bulk of the first-team safety action.

What matters most, especially for Pryor, is that he will play a lot. That extended experience Saturday could expedite his progress. That’s important, because he is going to play an important role on this Jets defense, which has a lot of questions in the secondary.

Pryor has been excitedly anticipating his debut – and his first big hit. Ryan is just looking forward to getting Pryor on the game field, after deciding to hold him out of last Thursday’s preseason opener against the Colts, because he had not gotten enough practice time to be prepared.

“He’s got to learn a lot,” Ryan said. “(When) you’re a rookie, you come in this league (and) there’s a lot to learn. But the best way to learn is to get out there and play. He needs some reps.”

Regardless of what happens Saturday, Ryan does not expect one thing to happen. He does not expect Pryor to play tentatively, and alter his style, coming off the concussion. 

“This kid is not backing off,” Ryan said. “No, that is not happening, so I’m not looking for that.”

By Darryl Slater | The Star-Ledger 

Email the author | Follow on Twitter 

on August 14, 2014 at 10:50 AM, updated August 14, 2014 at 10:54 AM

Reddit

Email

At long last, the Jets’ first-round draft pick, safety Calvin Pryor, will debut in Saturday night’s second preseason game, at the Bengals.

Pryor has plenty of catching up to do, since he missed so much time in training camp because of a concussion.

On Tuesday, Pryor debuted in first-team full-pads team period action at practice. He immediately offered a preview of what you might see in Cincinnati. It was just “a little love tap,” as he put it after knocking wide receiver Saalim Hakim on his butt with a thud tackle.

“That hit’s going to be for real on Saturday night,” said Jets coach Rex Ryan. “So yeah, we’re definitely looking forward to it.”

Pryor has long been known as a hard hitter. On Saturday, he will have plenty of opportunities to make hits, because Ryan said he will play with the first-, second- and third-team defenses.

Whether Pryor starts is unclear, but he has not gotten a lot of first-team work in practice. Since safety Antonio Allen moved to cornerback, where he will start Saturday, Dawan Landry and backup Jaiquawn Jarrett have gotten the bulk of the first-team safety action.

What matters most, especially for Pryor, is that he will play a lot. That extended experience Saturday could expedite his progress. That’s important, because he is going to play an important role on this Jets defense, which has a lot of questions in the secondary.

Pryor has been excitedly anticipating his debut – and his first big hit. Ryan is just looking forward to getting Pryor on the game field, after deciding to hold him out of last Thursday’s preseason opener against the Colts, because he had not gotten enough practice time to be prepared.

“He’s got to learn a lot,” Ryan said. “(When) you’re a rookie, you come in this league (and) there’s a lot to learn. But the best way to learn is to get out there and play. He needs some reps.”

Regardless of what happens Saturday, Ryan does not expect one thing to happen. He does not expect Pryor to play tentatively, and alter his style, coming off the concussion. 

“This kid is not backing off,” Ryan said. “No, that is not happening, so I’m not looking for that.”

I really hope this concussion thing does not become a problem over time

All. No exceptions.

At long last?  The dude missed one friggin' preseason game.  These writers are all morons.

To be fair, maybe he's referencing the fact that fans get pumped to see their new players from the second they're drafted, so it's not that we've waited a week to see him, but several months?

He better be good, because I'm feeling kind of snake bit this draft, with Pryor's concussion, Amaro's lack of presence, and those receiver we drafted not looking that great yet. We need Pryor to be at least as good as Richard Pryor, or better yet, Aaron Pryor, the hawk,.

If Pryor is as advertised our secondary can be better than we think.

Losing McDougle was a blow if he could play consistently how he played vs the colts. I believe Milliners going to light it up out there and become the corner we all thought he'd be. If that's the case, with great talent at safety, our only hole in the defense is 2nd string corner. And I'm okay with that. 

Note: Losing Mcdougle was a blow either way.

To be fair, maybe he's referencing the fact that fans get pumped to see their new players from the second they're drafted, so it's not that we've waited a week to see him, but several months?

Oh, so you are introducing fairness as an issue in a discussion about the media?

Oh, so you are introducing fairness as an issue in a discussion about the media?

I guess you could look at it that way, but I guess it's all up to interpretation.  When I read that story I took it to mean the length of time we've waited since Pryor was drafted, as opposed to ten days ago.  Maybe I'm wrong and the guy is an idiot.

I guess you could look at it that way, but I guess it's all up to interpretation.  When I read that story I took it to mean the length of time we've waited since Pryor was drafted, as opposed to ten days ago.  Maybe I'm wrong and the guy is an idiot.

It's just easier to assume he's stoopit.

Losing McDougle was a blow if he could play consistently how he played vs the colts. I believe Milliners going to light it up out there and become the corner we all thought he'd be. If that's the case, with great talent at safety, our only hole in the defense is 2nd string corner. And I'm okay with that. 

Note: Losing Mcdougle was a blow either way.

^^ Guy gets it.

I am just kidding. I simply cannot stand any of these sports writers. In fact, I hate the media. I like the games and I think I get more good info from blogs than I ever do from shows or news rags.

Archived