How many of Idzik's 12 2014 draft picks will live up to their expectations?

stoicsentry

How many of Idzik's 12 2014 draft picks will live up to their expectations? Meaning, 6th rounder plays like a 6th rounder, 1st rounder plays like a 1st rounder, etc.

Of the 12, I'll say 3. A few of them are already out for the season, a few will be cut, and none (including Pryor and Amaro) have been even slightly impressive.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There really isnt much expectation once you gets past the 3rd round.  Its a complete crap shoot after that.  That said, I think the Jets will get starters out of this draft in Pryor, Amaro, McDougle, Dozier and Saunders (as ST's guy), which is a great haul.

And I'm very intrigued by IK and Quincy...both are sick athletes who could be players over the next 2-3 seasons but not ones I'd count on.

Oh, they develop, but at this point my expectations are very low. Are yours?

I'm not passing judgment yet on the 2014 draft class.  Nor should you be either.  Instead you are already viewing it through the most negative of lenses and predicting, through one camp and one preseason game, that only 3 of our 12 draft picks will match their value.

We get it, you don't like John Idzik.  Your act is tired.  Find something else to do with your time.

You're free to speculate on if they will live up to expectations but at this point it's nothing more than just that -- speculation.

Remember how great Clowney looked in preseason games?  How about that TE for the Rams a couple years back, Lance Kendricks?  On the flip side of things, remember the year the 49ers started clicking with Alex Smith?  In the preseason their o-line looked to be the worst in the NFL...again.

Jadeveon Clowney had one TFL and got burnt in coverage for a TD (not that he's a coverage guy) in the first preseason game -- only other play of note was freeing up JJ Watt once.  Yeah, that's something...but he's the #1 pick, NO SACKS, OMG!!!!! (that's what people would be saying if he had been drafted high as a Jet)  It's early...if we get into the season and none of these guys can see the field, then at least you'll have more than mild speculation to aid your journey of negativity.

There really isnt much expectation once you gets past the 3rd round.  Its a complete crap shoot after that.  That said, I think the Jets will get starters out of this draft in Pryor, Amaro, McDougle, Dozier and Saunders (as ST's guy), which is a great haul.

And I'm very intrigued by IK and Quincy...both are sick athletes who could be players over the next 2-3 seasons but not ones I'd count on.

Hope you're right on McDougle.  He certainly has the skills, not sure how long it'll take him to really get back up to speed from the tear.  Good news, if there is any, is that it happened so early you'd think he could be close next season no?  I know people were still questioning Revis' knee well into last season.

I'm with you on IK though.  Not ready to count on him, but I'm really hopeful.

Yeah, because this is just what JN needed, an entirely new thread for you to carry on with your same tired, repetitive, insufferably clueless, incessant whining.

You're starting to make shasta seem like a solid contributor to the site.

You're the hero this forum deserves.

SUPERTWAT FOR MOD!

One.  F-ing.  Preseason.  Game.

As much as I've ripped Idzik, this is fair. You can discuss preseason games, but drawnig any hard conclusions  on that alone  and until they play a few real games is pointless. Also-those annual articles "grading the draft"-5 minutes after the last pick. 

I like this IK kid seems dumb as nails but that highlight in college where he tossed that OL was awesome and he looked good in limited reps in colts game.

I'm also rooting for Trevor Reilly but does not look like he will make it

I am also interested in Dozier as I think he looked good in colts game and I think they just BSing on Oday and not sold on Colon or Winters either to last whole season.

I'm also interested in Enunwa

I don't care how many rookies end up on the roster as long as the 53 BEST PLAYERS do. Look at the mistakes the Jets have made in just the recent past (under Rex) trying to force the uniform on a draft pick just because he WAS drafted. Someone please tell me which Burger King Joe McKnight is working at, maybe Danny Woodhead can throw him a tip as he goes through the drive-thru. How about The Terminator? Anyone seen him lately?

Give me the best player even if he's walk-on no-dick-nobody, if he can play put him out there-let our draft grade be D- as long as we win

I don't care how many rookies end up on the roster as long as the 53 BEST PLAYERS do. Look at the mistakes the Jets have made in just the recent past (under Rex) trying to force the uniform on a draft pick just because he WAS drafted. Someone please tell me which Burger King Joe McKnight is working at, maybe Danny Woodhead can throw him a tip as he goes through the drive-thru. How about The Terminator? Anyone seen him lately?

Give me the best player even if he's walk-on no-dick-nobody, if he can play put him out there-let our draft grade be D- as long as we win

Joe McKnight is on the Chiefs PUP list.  He just had his knee scoped.  John Conner is on the Giants.  If you watched Hard Knocks last year you would have seen him getting cut by the Bengals despite the coaches saying he was the best FB on the roster. 

How many of Idzik's 12 2014 draft picks will live up to their expectations? Meaning, 6th rounder plays like a 6th rounder, 1st rounder plays like a 1st rounder, etc.

Of the 12, I'll say 3. A few of them are already out for the season, a few will be cut, and none (including Pryor and Amaro) have been even slightly impressive.

Pryor is a top 20 pick. The expectation for him would be to start a little over half of his games as a rookie and be hot/cold like most rookies, but show improvement as the season goes on.

Every other pick should be expected to be depth, partial contributors and special-teamers. 

The draft I expect to contribute at a full-time level this year is last year's.

Milliner = starter, potentially best at his position after 1 year.

Sheldon = starter, special player.

Geno = starter, reports that he'll have improved upon his rookie year.

Winters = starter, reports are that he's improved his technique in his second year, and has shot to cut down on rookie mistakes

Aboushi = swing guard, looks like the top backup OL and a lock to step in in place of Colon

Campbell = stuck on the roster, I admittedly don't know what else he's got going for him as of now

Bohanon = starter

You know what, you're right. Idzik is awful. He completely blew it in last year's draft.

Amaro will be a Pro Bowl TE a la Mike Ditka.

Pryor will be ok. Just ok. Like, Victor Green ok.

Dexter McDougle will be a future starter.

Just not sure if any of the receivers can play yet. Shaq Evans and Enunwa need a redshirt, and I just don't see how Saunders will survive in this league at that size.

Pryor is a top 20 pick. The expectation for him would be to start a little over half of his games as a rookie and be hot/cold like most rookies, but show improvement as the season goes on.

Every other pick should be expected to be depth, partial contributors and special-teamers. 

If your drafting for depth with your 2nd and 3rd round picks, you're just not a good GM. Sorry.

If your drafting for depth with your 2nd and 3rd round picks, you're just not a good GM. Sorry.

You're not drafting for depth but because of the learning curve thats typically what you end up as a rookie if you're not a first round pick. Then next season more is expected of you like Demario Davis for example.

Do you really not get simple aspects of the game like that or is this part of the whiny crybaby routine?

Archived