Preseason: Discussing the other teams in week 2

Integrity28

Matt Stafford has a loaded offense around him. How will the Lions find a way to miss the playoffs this year?

They seem to always find a way and mostly due to their defense. I thought they were going to go with a DB in the draft and kept hearing Dennards name attached to them. Instead they went with Ebron at TE, can't fault them he should be great. I know they signed Tate in FA as well. Did they do anything to help their defensive backfield ??

yes he hashe practiced fully this week and could have been able to play against the Colts tomorrow night but Tom Coughlin decided to hold him out of tomorrow's game on precaution just to make sure he doesn't reagrivate anything

Coughlin said he will play against the jets next week

How has he looked? Early on it was said he wasn't with elite speed.. but apparently, he does have it?

They seem to always find a way and mostly due to their defense. I thought they were going to go with a DB in the draft and kept hearing Dennards name attached to them. Instead they went with Ebron at TE, can't fault them he should be great. I know they signed Tate in FA as well. Did they do anything to help their defensive backfield ??

The bold answers italics. They have a QB. Suh, Fairley, and Ansah are going to be tough, and Jones was once a decent player. Van Noy is possibly a DROY candidate and winner.

OTOH that secondary really seems wretched. 

I know Luck is the golden boy....but Russell Wilson is better than he is. I dont think its particularly that close either.

That Colts team last year without Luck is a 4 win team. That Seattle team without Wilson wins 8 games, like the Jets. IMO

How has he looked? Early on it was said he wasn't with elite speed.. but apparently, he does have it?

I dont know how you would define elite speed but he is definitely a home run threat every time he catches the ball.

So far in his limited practice he seems to catch everything and runs really crisp routes.

His injury seems to have been a little blessing in disguise the giants signed and UDFA wr who is lightnig it up in camp and everyoneis making the comparisons to cruz.

someone pissed off the seahawks.  holy sh*t what a defense.   they are not just athletically fast, but they read the play in a millisecond and rally to the ball like mad dogs

Seahawks look like are playing a couple of gears higher than any other team in the league.  They are just FAST and came out of the gate smokin'.  

I dont know how you would define elite speed but he is definitely a home run threat every time he catches the ball.

So far in his limited practice he seems to catch everything and runs really crisp routes.

His injury seems to have been a little blessing in disguise the giants signed and UDFA wr who is lightnig it up in camp and everyoneis making the comparisons to cruz.

Interesting, thanks. Yeah, early on when we were interested in him there was talk that he didn't have top end speed where he would get separation and blow the top off a play. People cited that his highlight reel always ended with him juking and not breaking it wide open. 

Either way, pretty bummed you guys got him and we got Jace No Hands Amaro. lol.

Who is this UDFA you speak of?

Interesting, thanks. Yeah, early on when we were interested in him there was talk that he didn't have top end speed where he would get separation and blow the top off a play. People cited that his highlight reel always ended with him juking and not breaking it wide open. 

Either way, pretty bummed you guys got him and we got Jace No Hands Amaro. lol.

Who is this UDFA you speak of?

Corey washington hes 6`4 and ran a 4.48. hes scored in both preseason games so far and has had a really great camp.

Hes went from playing against 3rd stringers to facing prince and DRc this week drawing double teams at time and still making plays. very excited to see him tonight against the colts

As for amaro how has he done this offseason i was hoping giants wowould grab a tight end i was hoping for him or austin-jenkins.

Corey washington hes 6`4 and ran a 4.48. hes scored in both preseason games so far and has had a really great camp.

Hes went from playing against 3rd stringers to facing prince and DRc this week drawing double teams at time and still making plays. very excited to see him tonight against the colts

As for amaro how has he done this offseason i was hoping giants wowould grab a tight end i was hoping for him or austin-jenkins.

Nice. Thanks. Gonna do some googling on the guy. I wouldn't be surprised to see you guys find a diamond in the rough. That doesn't happen around these parts though.

Amaro has been criticized for not learning his playbook (by geno supposedly), and by us the fans for dropping balls in practice. Guy talks a big game, not wanting to watch tapes on Ditka, but so far we haven't seen too much. 

Nice. Thanks. Gonna do some googling on the guy. I wouldn't be surprised to see you guys find a diamond in the rough. That doesn't happen around these parts though.

Amaro has been criticized for not learning his playbook (by geno supposedly), and by us the fans for dropping balls in practice. Guy talks a big game, not wanting to watch tapes on Ditka, but so far we haven't seen too much.

Interesting. I liked amaro coming out so ill have to stay up to date on what goes on with him

Also just a little update cory washington caught the game winning td tonight against the colts tonight. he has had the game winner td in all three preseason games so far

Interesting. I liked amaro coming out so ill have to stay up to date on what goes on with him

Also just a little update cory washington caught the game winning td tonight against the colts tonight. he has had the game winner td in all three preseason games so far

Guess we'll get a firsthand look at him on Friday. I will say, Pryor is looking like the real deal. Perhaps we will see some fireworks there.

Rather than re-hashing the same old Idzik, CB, Geno crap... here are some general observations/discussion points from the games I'm getting here (Pats vs. Eagles, Saints vs. Titans, Steelers vs. Giants on replay):

• Garrapolo looks legit
  • Patriots (for 2 straight weeks) cannot stop the "move" TE (Reed and Ertz have eaten their secondary alive both in their joint practices and in games
  • Pats have a "sneaky" amount of receiving options, no sexy names, but they look like a better collective group than last year
  • Ertz is going to take a BIG next step, he's on the trajectory that I expect from Amaro (spotty as a rookie, poised for an explosion as a 2nd year guy)
  • Landry Jones looks worse than Tebow throwing the football
  • Shonn Greene will be a backup by week 6
  • Titans have quietly collected a good cluster of young WR talent, if they can develop them they should make Jake Locker look better than he is
  • Did the Steelers change GM in the past couple of years? I feel like that team just keeps getting thinner and thinner on talent, out of character for that organization. They look like they are bringing the exact same weaknesses into this season that they had last year. I could be wrong.

Jordan Matthews had 9 catches for 104 yards against the pats this weekend. Yet another WR that should have been a Jet. Seems like Jordan Matthews will be the guy that will finally have me stop talking about Alshon Jeffery, unfortunately its still the same damn scenario with this Jets team. It will probably be Chris Harper from Cal Berkley that will be the WR that will have me stop talking about Jordan Matthews....but like Jeffery and Matthews, Harper wont be a Jet. It'll be some other triple option WR with suspect hands, no route running skills but can fly like the wind. The Jets might as well be a track squad. 

This whole forum is being overtaken with whining about the mistakes of Idzik, and "we should have signed McCluster" is more of the same.

in spite of how well last year's draft is panning out, all you guys seem capable of is embarrassing yourselves with daily emo. It's time for the level-headed football fans to talk about the league at large... time to enjoy the sport and stop this ******* whining.

I wouldn't call it a great draft.   Richardson is a beast and a great pick.   Other than that it's still a big unknown.    Milliner might be great, but he also sucked for 90 percent of last season.   We assume he would become great, but who knows.  He also seems to never be healthy.   Geno Smith stunk for most of last season as well.   It's unknown if he'll even be a start in the NFL in a few years, much less a great draft pick.   Brian Winters had moments last year, but he also had bad moments.  He hasn't exactly looked good so far this preseason.  Aboushi was a practice squad guy. Campbell is a practice squad guy.   Chris Ivory had moments, but he's also injury prone and a backup running back.   If Ivory was a great pick up, the Jets never go out and sign CJ.   But Ivory is useless in the passing game and not a guy who gets you 1000 yards rushing due to many factors.   Nobody would call that great.   Bohanon is great, but he's really not going to do anything to help the jets win.    

All in all, Idzik had one great pick in Richardson and the rest of his picks aren't sure fire bets to even be avg starters in the NFL, much less great ones.      When a GM has a philosophy to build through the draft,  he need to have more than one home run.   This year we will see if Milliner is the real day, if Winters can step it up, if Geno Smith is a franchise QB, if Ivory can be great,  if Aboushi can step it up, and so on.   There are far to many "If this and if that" to say Idzik did well.     The Jets just had a lot of players who wouldn't start on many other teams.

Archived