why not play Kerley as the 2

Jetknowledge

Seriously?

He's clearly the most reliable option outside of Decker.

Height is an excuse since guys such as steve smith, d Jackson, & Wes welker consistently produce.

He can compete and make big plays in clutch situations. For example the Oakland game last year.

He's only getting better and produces from any where on the field.

Why not give him a shot on the outside since Marty and sanjay claim they have so much faith in him?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What are you smoking? Kerley cannot get separation outside on a regular basis. He is perfect as a slot receiver. Put the pipe down.

I don't do drugs.

And you obviously over look the fact that Kerley competes, can beat bump and run, runs crisp routes and then catches with his hands.

He's made big plays everywhere but defense since being a jet and all of sudden you expect me to believe he can't gain separation often enough.

Last time I checked talent gets you threw highschool, the NFL is all about production which he does more often with consistent quality qb play & targets.

Because he's better where he ism

Who's better then him as a 2.

Rex publicly said a number of times we will run the ball.

As long as he's here that's our philosophy.

Rex also hinted to a 2 tight end system the most receivers we put out may be 3.

Mostly 2, so why wouldn't we play our best 2 receivers?

Kerley suffers from the perception that a short receiver has to be a slot guy. Dumbosaurus Rex branded him early and he has not escaped the tag.

There are so many guys that have proved this wrong. Clayton and Duper come to mind. What better example than Steve Smith?

It's not inconceivable that they'll play Kerley on the outside in two-WR sets, and move him inside when they have three or more on the field. But I think they want someone to emerge from the big competition going on at the #2 WR spot, preferably someone with more size.

It's not inconceivable that they'll play Kerley on the outside in two-WR sets, and move him inside when they have three or more on the field. But I think they want someone to emerge from the big competition going on at the #2 WR spot, preferably someone with more size.

Nelson or hopefully Hill fit the bill if you're basing it on the size profile for the position but it really doesnt matter who is the official #2.  Technically, I think Kerley is on the depth chart but the person who will be lining up wide opposite of Decker is going to change almost every snap.  Marty uses a ton of packages with some unconventional looks.  So who is technically X, Y, Z or 1, 2, 3, doesnt matter.  It will change based on the play and what match up he's looking for.  All the matters is that they finally have some players who can move the chains assuming Geno can get them the ball.

Between Decker, Kerley, Nelson, Hill, Cumby, Amaro, CJ...Ford, Saunders, Salas, Sudfeld, Gates, whoever...reciever shouldnt be a problem.

This is the definition of a slot receiver  :)  In reality Decker IS a #2 being used as a #1 because the jets have no legitimate #1.  I am betting that in Izzy's mind some of that $30MM is being saved for one next season.

Seriously?

Height is an excuse since guys such as steve smith, d Jackson, & Wes welker consistently produce.

He can compete and make big plays in clutch situations. For example the Oakland game last year.

Why not give him a shot on the outside since Marty and sanjay claim they have so much faith in him?

It would be okay if we had another WR who could play the slot as good or even better than Kerley. Kerley could be more productive as a slot receiver putting anyone else on the outside rather than putting Kerley on the outside and having some jag in the slot. 

I'd rather just cut Hill and get that disappointment over with, put Decker and Nelson on the outside and let Kerley tear up the under routes while letting guys like Cumby and Amaro clear out the seam. 

Who's better then him as a 2.

Rex publicly said a number of times we will run the ball.

As long as he's here that's our philosophy.

Rex also hinted to a 2 tight end system the most receivers we put out may be 3.

Mostly 2, so why wouldn't we play our best 2 receivers?

Could he be a better #2 ? Maybe, but Football 101 in West Coast Offense is slot WRs are GOLD. Thats the route that is virtually always there if  a QB leads the WR with the 3 and 5 step drop. Kerley has more value to Jets w/West Coast Off as a slot WR than he would as a #2. 

I hear your thoughts, but in this system its the slot thats gold.

You realize Jerry Rice got most of his YAC yards as motion to the slot, catching a 3-5 yd slant route over the middle and then taking off, BUT the QB had to hit the WR in STRIDE, thats KEY (something Sanchez could never do and was his downfall as a WCO QB)  It forces coverage to middle and hopefully allows single coverage on the 'out' WRs. Game has changed. The slot WR is on field all the time and the so is the Nickel CB. So what was once a 2 WR and 2 CB league , isnt anymore.

But WTF do I know..Go JETS, bleed green is all I care about :)

Seriously?

It's a shame both Amaro, and Cumberland are poor blockers the Jets could run a very similar package on O that the Pats ran, Kerley=Welker, Amaro, and Cumberland=Hernandez, and Gronk, and Decker, and CJ are better than anything NE ever put out there to finish of the 5 eligible receiver's. The Jets could run every single play in there play book without having to sub if those 2 could block.

It would be okay if we had another WR who could play the slot as good or even better than Kerley. Kerley could be more productive as a slot receiver putting anyone else on the outside rather than putting Kerley on the outside and having some jag in the slot. 

I'd rather just cut Hill and get that disappointment over with, put Decker and Nelson on the outside and let Kerley tear up the under routes while letting guys like Cumby and Amaro clear out the seam. 

Yeah, yeah, yeah cut Hill.  

Problem with playing Nelson outside is that the vast majority of his success came in the slot.  I have not seen any stats for it with the Jets, but with the Bills, where Nelson had success, they were running him out of the slot like 94% of the time.  Being tall doesn't make you an outside WR.  It has to do with being able to get off the line.  Plenty of teams play big guys inside to get them more of a free release - the Saints with Colston and Graham in particular.  Nelson is big enough not to get buried by bump and run, but he is not particularly quick.  

I think all the chatter about #2 and slot is kind of silly.  The important thing will be snaps played and I am willing to bet the Kerley will play plenty.  Probably more than anybody except Decker provided he doesn't get hurt.  Everybody seems to forget, but Kerley has missed games and been dinged up a ton.  I think, as JiF pointed out, Mornhinweg will be using plenty of motion and swapping who is in the slot to get the matchups that he likes.  I expect to see plenty of Amaro and CJ in the slot for instance.

Kerley is a good slot receiver and that's all.

Comparing him to S. Smith and S. Moss because they're all small is just as bad as saying Kerley can only play the slot because he's small.

Kerley can only play the slot because he's small and SLOW. He's more shifty than fast, would never work outside. He's a 4.6+ guy, S. Smith and Moss were 4.4 guys.

Comparing him to S. Smith and S. Moss because they're all small is just as bad as saying Kerley can only play the slot because he's small.

Kerley can only play the slot because he's small and SLOW. He's more shifty than fast, would never work outside. He's a 4.6+ guy, S. Smith and Moss were 4.4 guys.

If numbers are your thing, Hill runs a 4.3.

You want a list of all pro's who ran 4.6+?

I'll start by giving you Wes Welker.

Yeah, yeah, yeah cut Hill.  

Problem with playing Nelson outside is that the vast majority of his success came in the slot.  I have not seen any stats for it with the Jets, but with the Bills, where Nelson had success, they were running him out of the slot like 94% of the time.  Being tall doesn't make you an outside WR.  It has to do with being able to get off the line.  Plenty of teams play big guys inside to get them more of a free release - the Saints with Colston and Graham in particular.  Nelson is big enough not to get buried by bump and run, but he is not particularly quick.  

I think all the chatter about #2 and slot is kind of silly.  The important thing will be snaps played and I am willing to bet the Kerley will play plenty.  Probably more than anybody except Decker provided he doesn't get hurt.  Everybody seems to forget, but Kerley has missed games and been dinged up a ton.  I think, as JiF pointed out, Mornhinweg will be using plenty of motion and swapping who is in the slot to get the matchups that he likes.  I expect to see plenty of Amaro and CJ in the slot for instance.

Agreeing with your point regarding Nelson's quickness, or lack of it, is why I would put him on the outside given the WR's the Jets have. Understanding your point about his success in the slot at buffalo, putting Kerley on the outside because of that imo defeats the purpose when kerley is a better, quicker slot receiver than nelson and nelson is a better outside target than kerley. I doubt that Kerley can beat press coverage and be a more reliable outside target than nelson, because if that was so, then the topic itself would be a bit pointless to some degree. 

Are you saying that Kerley would be a better outside option than Nelson? For what it's worth, nelson was playing quite well in the back half of the season given he knew more about the offense. Don't get me to lying about where exactly he lined up, but given Kerley being on the field those last 4 games, I'm assuming that nelson showed that productivity on the outside. 

Agreeing with your point regarding Nelson's quickness, or lack of it, is why I would put him on the outside given the WR's the Jets have. Understanding your point about his success in the slot at buffalo, putting Kerley on the outside because of that imo defeats the purpose when kerley is a better, quicker slot receiver than nelson and nelson is a better outside target than kerley. I doubt that Kerley can beat press coverage and be a more reliable outside target than nelson, because if that was so, then the topic itself would be a bit pointless to some degree. 

Are you saying that Kerley would be a better outside option than Nelson? For what it's worth, nelson was playing quite well in the back half of the season given he knew more about the offense. Don't get me to lying about where exactly he lined up, but given Kerley being on the field those last 4 games, I'm assuming that nelson showed that productivity on the outside. 

I think the coach will move them around a bunch to exploit matchups.  Get Nelson and Amaro on smaller guys, Kerley and Johnson on slower guys.  That's what I would do.  I'm just pointing out that I think Nelson also does his best work out of the slot and he isn't necessarily going to perform as well outside.  It's tough to judge Nelson last year.  He came in late and had to learn the O.  He had some of his bigger games earlier, but was more efficient later.  So much of that is dependent upon Geno who really sucked for a stretch there

Kerley plays faster then his 40, and speed is a + but not everything.

Wes welker is slow but still can get deep. Jus like Kerley has done.

MM moves everybody around, Decker will be moved for matchup purposes.

But kerley does good when outside, MM & Lal said Kerley is good with the playbook, work ethic, leadership, route running, and bump & run.

We all seen he can catch, I believe his lack of height is the only question coaches have.

Can he go up and get the jump ball.

MM moves everybody around, Decker will be moved for matchup purposes.

But kerley does good when outside, MM & Lal said Kerley is good with the playbook, work ethic, leadership, route running, and bump & run.

We all seen he can catch, I believe his lack of height is the only question coaches have.

Can he go up and get the jump ball.

Everyone in every offense is moved around. Im talking about in a base offense where people for the most part are assigned. Decker will be moved around but we all know that the majority of his snaps will be on the outside. Kerley is a good football player, but he does have limitations. He has everything that you mentioned, but he isn't fast or tall but he's quick, something that the slot position could really utilize. David Nelson isn't really fast either, but his height and size really adds a dimension that Kerley doesnt have. 

In a base offense do you think that Kerley would be positioned on the outside or in the slot? 

smaller guys are usually best in the slot unless they are blazing fast. kerley is quick but he isn't fast enough that he could consistently get good separation against the cornerbacks on most of these teams. because he is not blazing fast, to play on the outside he would need to be tall so that he can reach a ball higher then the corners. unfortunately kerley is not very tall either. in the slot he plays well and he does have a great set of hands. you mentioned wes welker, steve smith, deshawn Jackson. steve smith is tougher and more bulky then kerley and welker and d jax are both much faster then kerley. if you notice kerley does not usually get a lot of yards after any given reception because he isn't fast enough to outrun the linebackers and safteys that come in after he gets the ball. now don't get it wrong because kerley is not our #2 receiver that doesn't mean he is not the second best receiver we have behind decker it just has to do with where he lines up. I don't think he has any need to wory about losing his roster spot though

Everyone in every offense is moved around. Im talking about in a base offense where people for the most part are assigned. Decker will be moved around but we all know that the majority of his snaps will be on the outside. Kerley is a good football player, but he does have limitations. He has everything that you mentioned, but he isn't fast or tall but he's quick, something that the slot position could really utilize. David Nelson isn't really fast either, but his height and size really adds a dimension that Kerley doesnt have.

In a base offense do you think that Kerley would be positioned on the outside or in the slot?

Simply put the better receiver plays the higher rank.

Truth is welker is better in the slot, but when there's no better option for the 2 he plays it and plays it well.

David Nelson has been most efficient in the slot so far in his career, kerley has been productive outside and inside but with less outside opportunities.

You can say he's slow but it doesn't stop his production, we are a better offense whenever he's on the field.

Every time he missed a game last year we looked horrid.

I say he at lease deserves a shot.

Seriously?

Because Kerley is NOT in the same league with Steve Smith, Desean Jackson, & Wes Welker. The things your pointing out in the Oakland game guys like Wes Welker do every single week ...Sure a lot of it has to do with the QB but Kerley is just a bit over rated by Jets fans because our WR situation has sucked for so many years

Kerley suffers from the perception that a short receiver has to be a slot guy. Dumbosaurus Rex branded him early and he has not escaped the tag.

There are so many guys that have proved this wrong. Clayton and Duper come to mind. What better example than Steve Smith?

Agreed. Also: Antonio Brown

Doesn't really matter much.  If Kerley stays healthy, wherever he lines up he'll be a favorite target for Geno.  Geno's performance last year was highly correlated with whether or not Kerley was on the field.  He should be 2nd on the team in targets when all is said and done.

More important will be Geno himself taking a step forward and, perhaps, getting SOMETHING out of Hill, the only guy on the roster capable of taking the top off a defense.  Geno throws a nice deep ball so it would be nice for someone to get open on deep routes and either make a play or draw a flag.  You know, like the rest of the offenses in the league can do from time to time.

Archived