Santonio Holmes signs with Bears per NFL.com

GreenPond

The Chicago Bears are turning to Santonio Holmes to try to fill their No. 3 receiver role.

The former New York Jets and Pittsburgh Steelers pass-catcher agreed to terms with the Bears, ESPN's Adam Schefter reported Saturday.

Chicago has been searching for a third-wheel to add to the Brandon Marshall-Alshon Jeffery duo ever since Marquess Wilson suffered a fractured clavicle earlier this month.

Chicago toyed with kick returner Eric Weems in that spot during Thursday's 20-19 preseason win over the Jacksonville Jaguars. Weems, however, quickly proved he was not the answer.

Holmes, the former Super Bowl MVP, was a shell of himself in 2013 due to a foot injury that was worse than it originally appeared. The receiver's work ethic was also questioned multiple times in New York over the last several years.

The Bears worked out Holmes earlier this month but then chose to sign little-known Greg Herd instead. Now that they see what they have at No. 3 receiver, the team decided Homes was worth the risk.

If he is mentally and physically healthy, Holmes can be a dynamic add to an already potent offense and should win the No. 3 job over Weems and Josh Morgan. That is one big "if," however.

The latest "Around the League Podcast" talks quarterback battles and debates the gang's preseason power rankings.

Holmes vs. Johnny Patrick or Brandon Dixon most likely. Hilariously, that's probably an even fight at this point.

a healthy, motivated, in -shape holmes is a hand full.  only milliner could stay with him on this roster

the question, of course, is how healthy, motivated and in-shape he is

a healthy, motivated, in -shape holmes is a hand full.  only milliner could stay with him on this roster

So you're saying that we need our best CB (currently injured) to cover the Bears third (or possibly fourth?) best receiver?

This bodes well for our pass defense.

So you're saying that we need our best CB (currently injured) to cover the Bears third (or possibly fourth?) best receiver?

This bodes well for our pass defense.

IF

he is healthy, motivated and in-shape.  Even if he is he will be the 4th option in that offense, so it is only a matter of time before he chirps and gets benched in my mind.

IF

his foot slows him down, he is coasting, and out of shape, he won't catch sh*t on anybody

IF

he is healthy, motivated and in-shape.  Even if he is he will be the 4th option in that offense, so it is only a matter of time before he chirps and gets benched in my mind.

IF

his foot slows him down, he is coasting, and out of shape, he won't catch sh*t on anybody

I'm more confused about why they think they actually need 4 receivers that are capable of producing. If they had been paying any attention to the modern day genius that is John Idzik, they would know that you really only need 1 solid receiver and a reliable slot guy to run a passing offense. That's enough to put major points on the board. Anything beyond that is just an embarrassment of riches.

I'm more confused about why they think they actually need 4 receivers that are capable of producing. If they had been paying any attention to the modern day genius that is John Idzik, they would know that you really only need 1 solid receiver and a reliable slot guy to run a passing offense. That's enough to put major points on the board. Anything beyond that is just an embarrassment of riches.

they are only playing 2 guys on offense ?

weird

He hasn't shown that devastating skill set in years. I can't imagine an aging Holmes has somehow recovered it.. even with recovering from his injury. 

I salute your dedication to your cause.

They still sell refer in Chicago, I'm told, and Tone at 4th fiddle should be depressing enough to him to keep him baked and consequently suspended.

As long as that POS isn't a Jet I don't care what happens with him.

Why?  They didn't have to spend much to get him, and now opponents have to figure out how to cover 5 different guys who can make plays.

How many years has it been since Holmes actually "made plays"? 

Some people, maybe not you necessarily, talk about this guy as though he was our perennial 1400 yard 10 TD beast. 

Archived