Best Guitarists Ever

dbatesman

I second this.  He doesn't have name recognition like an Eddie Van Halen, but if you count studio work Larry Carlton has a footprint that stretches all over the map.

I'd also add Peter Frampton to the discussion.

Steely Dan had fine musicians.

Frampton is still at it today.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Couple of lesser-known and/or lesser-mentioned blues musicians that I dig.

Junior Kimbrough

RL Burnside

Dan Auerbach of the Black Keys cites Junior Kimbrough as his main influence for playing guitar. They have an entire cover album of his music, I believe. I'm pretty sure the CD is somewhere either in the trunk of my car or in my garage somewhere. Good music!!!

Dan Auerbach of the Black Keys cites Junior Kimbrough as his main influence for playing guitar. They have an entire cover album of his music, I believe. I'm pretty sure the CD is somewhere either in the trunk of my car or in my garage somewhere. Good music!!!

Yeah, that album is called Chulahoma. It is fantastic. I listen to it once a week, because it never fails to help me bang out some great work.

I came across Junior Kimbrough, RL Burnside and the Black Keys a number of years ago when my punk rock and blues interests overlapped. Epitaph Records acquired Fat Possum Records and I bought a "best of " CD with a bunch of artists on it, then I bought more, and more. The sound coming from a lot of them was awesome, particularly Burnside and Kimbrough. They settled in amongst some of the more notable and obvious blues favorites for me that I'd gotten introduced to through my Mother's album collection.

Couple of lesser-known and/or lesser-mentioned blues musicians that I dig.

Junior Kimbrough

RL Burnside

If I remember correctly, there was a guy a JI who knew RL Burnside.

BTW, Believe it or not, Prince needs to be mentioned. So underrated.

Some of you guys are batsh*t crazy. It's Hendrix and then everyone else. This generation it's probably either Jack White or Jonny Greenwood, but I can't see how anyone can listen to Electric Ladyland and argue for anyone else. Nobody has ever made a guitar speak like that before or since.

Story is Clapton and Townsend went to see Hendrix's first show in London and both went home thinking they were nowhere near as good.

If we want to talk underrated yet from famous band types, Lindsey Buckingham is underrated. Maybe more for craftsmanship but I've always loved songs  like Never Going Back Again, amongst others. Very unique style.  

Listened to Rumours this weekend. Buckingham is ridiculous on that album. 

Never Going Back Again is my favorite Fleetwood Mac song. 

Story is Clapton and Townsend went to see Hendrix's first show in London and both went home thinking they were nowhere near as good.

They were right. 

Listened to Rumours this weekend. Buckingham is ridiculous on that album. 

Never Going Back Again is my favorite Fleetwood Mac song. 

If we are going to talk Fleetwood Mac, shouldn't we be talking Peter Green?  I mean it was Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac.  There are some "guitar gods' making a living playing that guy's songs. 

They were right. 

If we are going to talk Fleetwood Mac, shouldn't we be talking Peter Green?  I mean it was Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac.  There are some "guitar gods' making a living playing that guy's songs. 

I dunno. Maybe. I think anything that happened on a Fleetwood Mac album, it was probably only under his watch. Like everything that appeared on every second of every song, aside from Nicks, from my understanding it was all under his control.

I dunno. Maybe. I think anything that happened on a Fleetwood Mac album, it was probably only under his watch. Like everything that appeared on every second of every song, aside from Nicks, from my understanding it was all under his control.

I'm not sure what you mean.  Green and Buckingham weren't there at the same time.  Green is the one that wrote Black Magic Woman and Green Manilishi.

"He has the sweetest tone I ever heard; he was the only one who gave me the cold sweats."  B.B. King.

As the band walked in the studio I noticed an amplifier which I never saw before, so I said to John Mayall, "Where's Eric Clapton?" Mayall answered, "He's not with us anymore, he left us a few weeks ago." I was in a shock of state [sic] but Mayall said, "Don't worry, we got someone better."

That is just BS from the wiki, but the guy was the quintessential crazy rock star.  Binged on LSD and became obsessed with the dangers of materialism.  I’m plenty sure that nobody was controlling him.  Green was pretty much the one that started the band and I think he picked the name.  He just got a little too blown up on acid to continue. 

By the mid-’70s, as Fleetwood Mac entered a new, very prosperous era. New fans began to dig through older Mac recordings, and the royalty checks really began to roll in. Green wanted no part of his past, including the money, while trying to lead his new simple life. Frustrated, Green contacted a former Fleetwood Mac manager about his financials. “I phoned up and asked him if he had any money,” said Green in ‘Man Of The World.’ ”And he said, ‘The accountant’s got your money.’”

So in January of 1977, armed with a shotgun he had smuggled in from a trip to Canada, he paid his accountant, David Simmons, a visit and threatened to shoot him. However, the twist here is that Green was not upset about lack of money, but rather was distraught because the royalty checks kept coming.

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/36-years-ago-fleetwood-mac-founder-peter-green-arrested-for-pulling-shotgun-on-his-accountant/

I'm not sure what you mean. Green and Buckingham weren't there at the same time. Green is the one that wrote Black Magic Woman and Green Manilishi.

"He has the sweetest tone I ever heard; he was the only one who gave me the cold sweats." B.B. King.

As the band walked in the studio I noticed an amplifier which I never saw before, so I said to John Mayall, "Where's Eric Clapton?" Mayall answered, "He's not with us anymore, he left us a few weeks ago." I was in a shock of state [sic] but Mayall said, "Don't worry, we got someone better."

That is just BS from the wiki, but the guy was the quintessential crazy rock star. Binged on LSD and became obsessed with the dangers of materialism. I’m plenty sure that nobody was controlling him. Green was pretty much the one that started the band and I think he picked the name. He just got a little too blown up on acid to continue.

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/36-years-ago-fleetwood-mac-founder-peter-green-arrested-for-pulling-shotgun-on-his-accountant/

Ah. Fair enough. I love Rumours but I know dick about FM aside from the fact that Buckingham was a lunatic.

God this threadkillsme. Heres the deal.......there is a clearnumber 1 and a clear # 2. They are

1. Hendrix

2. Van halen

These two guys are the only two to ever change guitarplaying in a radical fashion.....no one else comes

close. Then, a huge huge huge dropoff for people to put their favs. Ill do mine:

3. Steve howe

4. Alex lifeson

After this add the common greats like page, fripp, etc

I saw him live a couple times. The guy was incredible. I used to catch sh*t for saying the wrong guitarist died that day. Still man, so much of the best of SRV was Hendrix influenced, or outright Hendrix covers. SRV was terrific, but it's Jimi Hendrix, and then everybody else. And it's not close.

Exactly srv was great but not original. Hevwas hendrix.

I caught "Sultans of Swing" from Dire Straits on the radio as I was driving yesterday. That outro solo is still awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Pa9x9fZBtY

Good choice.  My father loves Knopfler.  My Dad is one of those people that is always listening to music, but never really knows what he is listening to.  One day I mentioned Knopfler and my Dad just said, well, he is the best guitarist, right?  It took me some time to understand that my dad just doesn't like distortion much.  Funny, cause that is all I like, but Knopfler is one of the best with that clean tone. 

Some of you guys are batsh*t crazy. It's Hendrix and then everyone else. This generation it's probably either Jack White or Jonny Greenwood, but I can't see how anyone can listen to Electric Ladyland and argue for anyone else. Nobody has ever made a guitar speak like that before or since.

Yup, right there bolded above. He had a technique that was more unique than anyone before or since, he could squeeze sounds out of a guitar using feedback that nobody ever could, to say nothing of his blues/rock style and the songs he wrote. What really sucks is the songs that he had yet to create and share with the world when he died at 27 probably years before he would have even hit his prime.

Just one example of his mastery of feedback to create sounds and emotion from an instrument.

Archived