Best Guitarists Ever

dbatesman

Story is Clapton and Townsend went to see Hendrix's first show in London and both went home thinking they were nowhere near as good.

Yeah there is a great story of Townsend getting into it with Jimi backstage at the Monterey Pop festival. As Pete Townsend recalled:

Pete Townshend: "Before the show at Monterey we were starting to talk about the running order... They wanted to know what was gonna come first and we couldn't really decide, so we just said, you know, I said to Jimi, "**** it man we're not going to follow you on". So he said, "Well, I'm not going to follow you on". So I said, "Listen, we are not going to follow you on and that is IT" you know... We're here ready to go on now, our gear is gonna be there, that's the end of it, you know. And there was a certain look in his eye, and he got on a chair, and he played some amazing guitar. Just standing on a chair in the dressing room. Janis Joplin was there, Brian Jones, Eric [burdon] and me and a few other people... Then he [Jimi[ got down off the chair, turned round to me and just said, "If I'm gonna follow you, I'm gonna pull ALL the stops".

It was Jimi's bands first US performance, and considered one of if not the greatest live rock performances ever, capped off with a crazy version of Wild Thing, that propelled him to fame in the US.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived