Chris Johnson

Maxman

Johnson looked good tonight, although I hate the thought of giving him work in the preseason.  10 carries tonight for 63 yards and he had a few really nice runs. But next week keep him low, give him like 5 carries and call it a preseason.  Want him healthy for week one!

Guy is never been injury prone, and seems to get better with the more touches he gets. I am excited to see him in our offense. We need some explosive players, and he is definitely one.

I know but they have so much riding on him. And I just cringe at the thought of him missing the opener. I don't want to see him with a 14 carry effort on short rest against the Giants. Give him 5 carries and call it a night.

They have to figure out what they are doing with Richardson. Let him carry the ball 40 times until they figure it out. :)

I don't know what they're going to do at the position for the rest of the pre-season. Maybe run Green and Richardson into the ground? Ivory and Johnson should both be given rest to be sure they're as healthy as can be going into the season, and we know what we have in Powell already, anyway. Powell looked great tonight, BTW.

I guess the real question for me is, if we carry only 4 backs, who is the odd man out: Richardson, Bohannon?

I don't know what they're going to do at the position for the rest of the pre-season. Maybe run Green and Richardson into the ground? Ivory and Johnson should both be given rest to be sure they're as healthy as can be going into the season, and we know what we have in Powell already, anyway. Powell looked great tonight, BTW.

I guess the real question for me is, if we carry only 4 backs, who is the odd man out: Richardson, Bohannon?

Prolly we shouldve trade up for a Big Ten back

No need! In your ceaseless quest to improve the team, you took Stephen Hill over Alshon Jeffery and Russell Wilson!

I was trying to leave my opinion about Idzik out of this and just comment on the RBs. If you wanna talk Idzik vs. Tanny, I would be happy to do so on another thread...

I know but they have so much riding on him. And I just cringe at the thought of him missing the opener. I don't want to see him with a 14 carry effort on short rest against the Giants. Give him 5 carries and call it a night.

They have to figure out what they are doing with Richardson. Let him carry the ball 40 times until they figure it out. :)

Gotta figure that Ivory is gonna get the ball more since he was out. Plus, Bilal is playing himself into a good spot. 

Green and Richardson, do they make this roster? We need a fullback so...

IMO, getting decker back into the offense will be a big plus. I thought Amaro was all right tonight. Geno looks competent. Running game is solid. Overall O looks much improved. I'd say it's a 18 to 20 rank O. D I can't judge yet. It was in reality almost the 2nd string secondary (no Dee, CP, Patterson). Wilson continues to frustrate sometimes flashing but generally disappointing. If the D can step up their schemes once the season starts and the secondary heals we should ok. Overall I think we have the look of a work in progress improving .500 team. I am thinking the playoffs are a reach, maybe I should just hope Geno develops and we found a decent QB.

Johnson looked good tonight, although I hate the thought of giving him work in the preseason.  10 carries tonight for 63 yards and he had a few really nice runs. But next week keep him low, give him like 5 carries and call it a preseason.  Want him healthy for week one!

Really. At this point since this is going to be a run first offense, put him udner glass until opening day. At a loss why he was in the game well into the 2nd quarter last night.

Cant help but agree, he had a few runs for a decent amount but I thought Powell looked better overall

The runs he had that went for decent yardage were all just him running straight ahead with no one in front of him to make a tackle. Powell was actually creating yards on his own. He's also a better receiver...funny thing is CJ was never that great a pass catcher. Hell he was replaced by Javon Ringer on 3rd downs in Tennessee.

Umm, HELLO! It's the freaking Snoopy Bowl!!! Gotta play HARD!

That's funny.  After watching him the first game I wanted to run him into the ground cause he looked rusty and I see him as a disposable threat.  Use the hell out him.  In the first game he ran like a vet that had the team made and was loafing.  I want to punish him for that. Make him go hard or I would beat the hell out him in preseason. 

The runs he had that went for decent yardage were all just him running straight ahead with no one in front of him to make a tackle. Powell was actually creating yards on his own. He's also a better receiver...funny thing is CJ was never that great a pass catcher. Hell he was replaced by Javon Ringer on 3rd downs in Tennessee.

Yeah a lot of the runs were to the outside where he just beat guys to the edge or like you said there was no one in front of him and he was able to run freely. Its pretty evident to me that Bilal is the more talented back. This sounds terrible but I'm sort of hoping for small injuries to Ivory and CJ just so this coaching staff can see what Bilal can do with 25 carries to himself.I don't like CJ at all, love Ivory, but Bilal can ball man. In any case I'd be happy with whatever combo helps the Jets win the most games.

Yeah a lot of the runs were to the outside where he just beat guys to the edge or like you said there was no one in front of him and he was able to run freely. Its pretty evident to me that Bilal is the more talented back. This sounds terrible but I'm sort of hoping for small injuries to Ivory and CJ just so this coaching staff can see what Bilal can do with 25 carries to himself.I don't like CJ at all, love Ivory, but Bilal can ball man. In any case I'd be happy with whatever combo helps the Jets win the most games.

Powell being the better runner is a problem...Johnson looked done last year and was always hugely dependent on the blocking in front of him. Our run blocking stinks right now...I mean we'll see but I'd hate to have Powell on the bench because of CJ's contract. And Powell isn't that great either...but in terms of the 3rd down role he's younger and has more wiggle.

The usual suspects will blow Idzik regardless ...but this is so outside his "plan" you have to think Rex was behind this move. We had 100 picks in the draft and couldn't take a back?

Powell being the better runner is a problem...Johnson looked done last year and was always hugely dependent on the blocking in front of him. Our run blocking stinks right now...I mean we'll see but I'd hate to have Powell on the bench because of CJ's contract. And Powell isn't that great either...but in terms of the 3rd down role he's younger and has more wiggle.

The usual suspects will blow Idzik regardless ...but this is so outside his "plan" you have to think Rex was behind this move. We had 100 picks in the draft and couldn't take a back?

I do not agree that this is outside his plan.  I don't think Idzik wants to draft backs.  The Seahawks traded for Lynch and Leon Washington.  They drafted Michael last year and Turbin in the 4th, but generally they are only picking guys on the last day if at all.  I think Idzik wants to draft talent that will stay with the team.  He may see RB as a disposable position and not something that will part of the core.   All the teams seem to treat RB and disposable and as a result, RB contracts are a bargain at this point.  I think Idzik is speed crazy and Johnson is fairly cheap speed.  I am also a bit concerned about his pass catching.  He has caught a bunch of balls, but he doesn't exactly look natural and talk about splitting him wide seems questionable unless it is to run a 9

I do not agree that this is outside his plan.  I don't think Idzik wants to draft backs.  The Seahawks traded for Lynch and Leon Washington.  They drafted Michael last year and Turbin in the 4th, but generally they are only picking guys on the last day if at all.  I think Idzik wants to draft talent that will stay with the team.  He may see RB as a disposable position and not something that will part of the core.   All the teams seem to treat RB and disposable and as a result, RB contracts are a bargain at this point.  I think Idzik is speed crazy and Johnson is fairly cheap speed.  I am also a bit concerned about his pass catching.  He has caught a bunch of balls, but he doesn't exactly look natural and talk about splitting him wide seems questionable unless it is to run a 9

The Seahawks did us a huge favor duping the Bills into dealing Lynch. That dude would have been an utter pain the rear end two times a year. Idzik did give up a 4th for Ivory...but he's not really a MArty back. Even then, he was pretty underutilized last year imo.

I agree with you. Idzik's committed to building thru the draft, and hasn't taken a RB in 19 picks so far. He brought in two veteran backs last year, too. Like you say, veteran RBs are bargains, and we've established that Idzik likes a bargain. Johnson brings some pass catching ability and experience in pass protection. A rookie back can often be a liability in those departments.

Doesn't mean Rex wasn't on board. You know he loved his LT. I suspect this is another example of the GM and HC being in the same page.

I agree with you. Idzik's committed to building thru the draft, and hasn't taken a RB in 19 picks so far. He brought in two veteran backs last year, too. Like you say, veteran RBs are bargains, and we've established that Idzik likes a bargain. Johnson brings some pass catching ability and experience in pass protection. A rookie back can often be a liability in those departments.

Doesn't mean Rex wasn't on board. You know he loved his LT. I suspect this is another example of the GM and HC being in the same page.

Agreed.

Veteran backs also come having already learned pass protection, which is the #1 thing that keep talented rookie RBs on the sideline year-after-year.

Agreed.

Veteran backs also come having already learned pass protection, which is the #1 thing that keep talented rookie RBs on the sideline year-after-year.

That and not being in shape (Joe McKnight, lol).

Archived