What I find interesting...

BlakeSpenceBlockedPunt

They're not even terrible numbers though.  17 tackles for loss?  Thats a bad thing?  When you take into consideration the limited # of snaps Coples has played, his stats are really not bad at all. 

23 DE's were selected in in the 2012 draft.  Here's a production snap shot of the first 10 (I stopped there because nobody is even close after the 10th). 

15.  Bruce Irvin - 10 sacks, 46 tackles, 2 FF, 1 INT, 1 PD

16.  Quinton Coples - 10 sacks, 46 tackles, 1 FF, 4 PD

18.  Melvin Ingram - 2 sacks, 12 tackles, 2 FF, 6 PD

19.  Shea McLellin - 6.5 sacks, 21 tackles

21.  Chandler Jones - 17 sacks, 66 tackles, 4 FF, 5 PD

26.  Whitney Mercilus - 13 sacks, 48 tackles, 2 FF, 1 PD

28.  Nick Perry - 6 sacks, 36 tackles, 3 FF, 2 PD

38.  Andre Branch - 7 sacks, 36 tackles, 1 FF, 4 PD

56.  Vinny Curry - 4 sacks, 26 tackles, 3 PD,

74.  Olivier Vernon - 15 sacks, 64 tackles, 1 FF

So 3 total players have more sacks and tackles (Mercilus 2 more tackles).  Each of those players have started more games and played more snaps.  Jones obviously has significantly more sacks but 5 and 3 arent that out of reach when you factor in situations/assignments/systems/snaps, etc.  A good year and Coples could pass both.  None of them were asked to switch positions in their 2nd year and many are playing their natural position. 

I didnt want to do LB'ers because the MLB's rack up tackle numbers but dont worry...no LB'er selected in 2012 have double digit sacks. 

So I guess everyone is a bust from the draft other than Chandler Jones and Olivier Vernon.

Cut them all.  Busts.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Coples' floor is Bryan Thomas. And while Thomas was a disappointment in his own right in the pass rush department, he turned out to be a solid NFL starter. Coples already appears better than Thomas rushing the passer, so we'll see. He doesn't suck, and he's not a bust. He might be out of position, but I don't see that as ill-conceived, either. He's out of position because the coach is trying to get his best players all on the field, and feels that Coples is one of those best players. I'm looking forward to seeing improvement from him over the course of the season with a full year under his belt at the position. 

You realize that everyone thinks he's a bust other than blind homers like yourself who think the Jets are a 12 win team this season, right?

wrong, I don't  think that at all. He has shown signs of being a huge impact player. This is his year to show it. To call him a bust at this time is asinine. 

For the record, did you know his middle name is Kyle?  HMM, that must be why you have him confused with Wilson.

He was selected 16th overall in the first round of the 2012 NFL Draft by the New York Jets.[8] He signed a four-year contract worth $8.8 million on May 17, 2012.[9][10] During his rookie season of 2012, Coples compiled with 30 tackles and 5.5 sacks. The Jets finished 6-10 (tied 3rd in AFC East) that season.

A week following the 2013 NFL Draft, the Jets announced that Coples would transition to outside linebacker.[11] During a preseason game against the Jacksonville Jaguars on August 17, 2013, Coples suffered a hairline ankle fracture after defending a pass thrown by Chad Henne. The Jets projected that Coples was going to be out indefinitely due to the injury but he eventually returned during Week 3 against the Buffalo Bills on September 22, 2013. During the 2013 season, Coples performed somewhat well at his new position as an outside linebacker playing 14 games (13 started) with 38 tackles, a forced fumble, 3 passes defended, and 4.5 sacks. The Jets finished 8-8 (tied 2nd in AFC East) that season.

He was selected 16th overall in the first round of the 2012 NFL Draft by the New York Jets.[8] He signed a four-year contract worth $8.8 million on May 17, 2012.[9][10] During his rookie season of 2012, Coples compiled with 30 tackles and 5.5 sacks. The Jets finished 6-10 (tied 3rd in AFC East) that season.

A week following the 2013 NFL Draft, the Jets announced that Coples would transition to outside linebacker.[11] During a preseason game against the Jacksonville Jaguars on August 17, 2013, Coples suffered a hairline ankle fracture after defending a pass thrown by Chad Henne. The Jets projected that Coples was going to be out indefinitely due to the injury but he eventually returned during Week 3 against the Buffalo Bills on September 22, 2013. During the 2013 season, Coples performed somewhat well at his new position as an outside linebacker playing 14 games (13 started) with 38 tackles, a forced fumble, 3 passes defended, and 4.5 sacks. The Jets finished 8-8 (tied 2nd in AFC East) that season.

Calling Coples a bust this early makes zero sense, but some fans will whine about anything.  He has shown flashes of being a great player which is pretty impressive given his situation. 

Wha? LOL, fans were calling Hightower a bust last year and the only talk about him now is that he can "bounce back" and Ridley got benched for Legarett Blount. Chandler Jones is pretty much the only 1st rounder the Pats have done okay with since Mayo. You should have stayed out of it. The Pats are terrible in the draft, that is why they spent like they did in FA. If they could draft, they'd have won more rings during Brady's tenure. Now they are just desperate.

As for Coples... Nobody is saying he "turned out the way they hoped", they are saying that the Jets didn't even have a plan for him until now, so given how he's been mis-handled he's been about as productive as you could ask for. This will be the season in which to truly judge him. 

Hightower needs to bounce back from what exactly? You really are clueless, Hightower had to play out of position last season due to Mayo's injury and played pretty damn well but I suppose you'll tell us his stats are B.S. right? As for Ridley, he wasn't a 1st round pick by the way and even with his fumbles he's a productive player, how's McKnight and Green doing, are they even still in the league? Oh and you can harp on the myth have the Pats are awful in the draft but the reality is they are no different than the vast majority of teams pick for pick over the last ten years. Bottom line is none of this has a thing to do with the topic of the post which is what bust Coples is.    

•  
  • NE   gm tkl       sks

2012          60 43 17 4.0 0 2 6 0 0 0 0 0 3 6 18 0 2013

•  
  • NE  

2013         gms  tks            sks

16 97 55 42 1.0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 3 3 5 0

Career         30 157 98 59 5.0 0 2 0 0 0 0 0 0 6 9 23 0

Hightower needs to bounce back from what exactly? You really are clueless, Hightower had to play out of position last season due to Mayo's injury and played pretty damn well but I suppose you'll tell us his stats are B.S. right? As for Ridley, he wasn't a 1st round pick by the way and even with his fumbles he's a productive player, how's McKnight and Green doing, are they even still in the league? Oh and you can harp on the myth have the Pats are awful in the draft but the reality is they are no different than the vast majority of teams pick for pick over the last ten years. Bottom line is none of this has a thing to do with the topic of the post which is what bust Coples is.    

•  
  • NE   gm tkl       sks

•  
  • NE  

Was any of this English?

Troll killer you still here?

Is that supposed to dissuade me? You calling me "Troll Killer?"

I'd like you to answer the question I asked you weeks ago when you crawled out of your hole. What brings you back? What horrific event has befallen you that you need to make yourself feel superior by talking to us lowly Jets fans?

So to recap, a player changing positions means absolutely nothing.  That is, unless it's a Pats player switching positions, in which case it is immediately cited as such an important factor.

I have seriously never seen a poster who endlessly contradicts themselves like this, and that's saying quite a lot around these parts.  It's great because you don't even have to argue with her/him/it, just wait long enough and this thing is guaranteed to prove itself wrong all by itself.

•  
  • NE   gm tkl       sks

•  
  • NE  

Wait, wait, wait.... so Hightower was playing out of position last year and that's a viable excuse for him? However, Coples has been used out of position and you're using that against him?

this_donkey_looks_like_hes_saying-87455.

So to recap, a player changing positions means absolutely nothing.  That is, unless it's a Pats player switching positions, in which case it is immediately cited as such an important factor.

I have seriously never seen a poster who endlessly contradicts themselves like this, and that's saying quite a lot around these parts.  It's great because you don't even have to argue with her/him/it, just wait long enough and this thing is guaranteed to prove itself wrong all by itself.

The term 'know-nothing slob' comes to mind.

No, what's important is the performance of that player under those circumstances. In this case a moronic poster singled out Hightower as a player that supposedly everyone was calling a bust last year, yet Hightower playing out of position at MLB produced 97 tackles a couple of pass deflections a sack. Compare those numbers to all starting MLB's across the League last season and you'll have no choice but to conclude that the poster I was responding to is clueless. Simply put, Coples sucks, at least in terms of his draft status, he failed, Hightower didn't.    

The term 'know-nothing slob' comes to mind.

Hey did you guys know that they talked about Shasta in the movie "Ted?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWciXlO5W8o

Oh and you can harp on the myth have the Pats are awful in the draft but the reality is they are no different than the vast majority of teams pick for pick over the last ten years. Bottom line is none of this has a thing to do with the topic of the post which is what bust Coples is.    

I have absolutely no idea what the hell you are talking about.   First, Coples is far from a bust and it's not even close.   He really belongs at DE in a 4-3 so the Jets have done him no favors in his 2+ seasons but all things considered I think he's doing pretty well and certainly no where near "bust" category.  

Is that supposed to dissuade me? You calling me "Troll Killer?"

The irony that is a poster who comes to a rival team's message board solely with the purpose of being an a$$hole so that they can feel better about themselves in real life would attack another posters character is just phenomenal.

Wait, wait, wait.... so Hightower was playing out of position last year and that's a viable excuse for him? However, Coples has been used out of position and you're using that against him?

Again what excuse does he need? He played out of position and put up numbers better than most starting MLB's in the entire NFL, how clueless are you? Let me put it to you this way, Hightower played "REALLY WELL LAST YEAR", so your original comment on him make you look like Dumb $h&t.  

The irony that is a poster who comes to a rival team's message board solely with the purpose of being an a$$hole so that they can feel better about themselves in real life would attack another posters character is just phenomenal.

Isn't that it's entire point of existence, though? It fails to see it's own flaws and projects them onto others. Thus having some sort of cathartic breakthrough as a result?

this_donkey_looks_like_hes_saying-87455.

Again what excuse does he need? He played out of position and put up numbers better than most starting MLB's in the entire NFL, how clueless are you? Let me put it to you this way, Hightower played "REALLY WELL LAST YEAR", so your original comment on him make you look like Dumb $h&t.  

55 total tackles for an NFL MLB is pure sh*t. For comparison: in his prime, Brian Urlacher averaged in the high 80s. 

http://www.nfl.com/player/dont'ahightower/2533057/profile

http://www.nfl.com/player/brianurlacher/2504098/profile

Isn't that it's entire point of existence, though? It fails to see it's own flaws and projects them onto others. Thus having some sort of cathartic breakthrough as a result?

Hahaha... This is actually reasonably accurate.  Not bad...

I know you can get there if you really try, you see Hightower doesn't need any for of an excuse because your original statement wasn't true. Last year Hightower put up better numbers than many starting MLB's in the league. I would draw a picture for you if I thought it would help, but let me put it in a way you may actually understand it, Hightower= good  Coples= bad.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2141959-why-new-england-patriots-linebacker-donta-hightower-will-bounce-back-in-2014

Why are you asking me what excuse he needs? You made the excuse that he was out of position. If that excuse is relevant for Hightower, then it is relevant for Coples as well, because it is true. Furthermore Coples went from playing with his hand in the dirt to playing OLB in a 3-4, while Hightower just moved over. Coples transition, given that he never had the chance to lose weight or learn the new position, is a much harder transition, and yet you come here and try to tell us he's a bust. I don't know what world you live in where he "put up great stats", but Hightower was a liability on a bad defense. You don't even know what you are talking about with your own team. 

Keep telling me I'm a dumb sh*t. It only makes me stronger.

That did jump out at me right away...funny stuff.

I know you can get there if you really try, you see Hightower doesn't need any for of an excuse because your original statement wasn't true. Last year Hightower put up better numbers than many starting MLB's in the league. I would draw a picture for you if I thought it would help, but let me put it in a way you may actually understand it, Hightower= good  Coples= bad.

You literally used the excuse that he was out of position to justify his bad numbers. Now you are telling me his numbers were good.

No amount of condescension will bother me. I am intellectually and morally superior to you and I will revel in watching you demonstrate why.

You literally used the excuse that he was out of position to justify his bad numbers. Now you are telling me his numbers were good.

No amount of condescension will bother me. I am intellectually and morally superior to you and I will revel in watching you demonstrate why.

What bad number are you talking about? You mean the 97 tackles 55 solo, 3 passes deflected an a sack? Maybe you want to compare those with the rest of the starting MLB's in the League before you talk.

Did the fact that Hightower doesn't need an excuse because performed really well jump out at you as well?

Hightower is a good player.  I can give credit where it's due instead of pretending that factors impacting performance don't exist where they actually do.  Just saw a nice blurb from the NYDN placing Coples 2nd in the NFL in QB  hits for 3-4 LBers.  Not bad for a guy in his first year at the position who started the season slow with an ankle injury.  He hasn't lived up to expectations (I can admit that too) but he has shown flashes of being a difference maker.  I'm not going to bail on a guy after two seasons becuase he only looks great sometimes.  That's insane.

You can't be this dumb, Hightower had 97 combined tackles last season moron.

Learn how to read a stat line. Hightower had 55 total tackles and 42 assists. Urlacher averaged 85+ total tackles. and about 35 assists, giving him an average of 120 combined to Hightower's paltry 97 combined. 

For comparison purposes, Kyle Clifton, the Jets longtime MLB who was merely a good to almost very good but certainly not great MLB, averaged 133.46 combined tackles per year. 

Hightower was sh*t as an MLB. 

Archived