Demario Davis raves about Coples

AFJF

Interesting read based on all of the resident JN scouts calling Coples a bust after two seasons......

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/lighter-quinton-coples-heavy-impact-jets-article-1.1908311?cid=bitly

Linebacker Quinton Coples lost the weight, now he wants to lose a split-second. A split-second on his way to the quarterback, that is, and in the NFL, that can be huge.

A first-round draft pick in 2012, Coples hasn’t met expectations — he has 10 career sacks in two seasons — but he may be getting close.

He led the Jets in quarterback hits last season with 15, the second most of any 3-4 outside linebacker, according to ProFootballFocus.com.

In the offseason Coples dropped about 20 pounds and said he’s been focusing on his technique to get off the line of scrimmage quicker in the race to the QB. Already, Coples said, he can see a change in his play.

“I think it’s the difference between getting a hurry and getting a sack,” he said.

Coples believes he’ll be better in 2014, and he isn’t the only one.

“He’s playing at a much higher level,” linebacker Demario Davis said. “He’s faster. He’s more reactive. It’s because he worked so hard to drop his body weight. He’s already a freak of nature. ... He’s going to be unstoppable.”

If Davis is right, the timing couldn’t be better for Gang Green.

The Jets secondary looks to be in shambles with injuries and inexperience, putting the onus on the pass rush. A lot of that responsibility falls on Coples.

It looked at times this preseason that Coples’ starting spot was in jeopardy. Jason Babin played on 31 snaps compared to just 15 for Coples in the Jets’ 25-17 preseason win over the Bengals on Saturday night and on Monday the two were rotating with the first team in practice.

But Rex Ryan shot down the notion that it could signal a change.

“I wouldn’t read into it as if he’s going to replace Coples as a starter,” Ryan said. “That’s not it.”

Babin, expected to be used as a situational pass rusher on the defensive line, also does not think he’s competing for Coples’ job. Babin feels he’s getting a few reps at linebacker as an insurance policy in case of injuries.

Coples sees a breakout season is coming not just for himself, but the rest of the 2012 defensive class. Davis and Antonio Allen are the other main defensive pieces from that year, and they’ve set their sights on a higher level of performance in their third year in the league.

“Definitely. I think it’s a big year for us,” Coples said. “To be quite frank, we talk to each other, we hold each other accountable. Me and Demario, especially. We just pass it on: ‘It’s our time, it’s our class.’ ... It’s time for us to take it to the next level.”

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Has somebody told Rex? Because it seems Rex is the one who isn't convinced of Coples' futuregreatness.

But Rex Ryan shot down the notion that it could signal a change.

“I wouldn’t read into it as if he’s going to replace Coples as a starter,” Ryan said. “That’s not it.”

Babin, expected to be used as a situational pass rusher on the defensive line, also does not think he’s competing for Coples’ job. Babin feels he’s getting a few reps at linebacker as an insurance policy in case of injuries.

Seems like Rex had already dismissed your theory that Babin was taking Coples' job. Babin's getting extra live practice reps in case of injury. That's it. 

What else have you got? 

Nope.  He's a bust.  madmike said so.

To be fair, I noticed that there was no reference as to whether or not Coples looked the part during any of those 15 QB hits, so they may not be a very big deal.

To be fair, I noticed that there was no reference as to whether or not Coples looked the part during any of those 15 QB hits, so they may not be a very big deal.

That time he sacked Brady and force a fumbled...I was like, man, he doesnt look the part...he must be a bust.

That time he sacked Brady and force a fumbled...I was like, man, he doesnt look the part...he must be a bust.

And that time he ended the Saints game blowing up that run play in the backfield, I said to all my buddies "Guys, is it just me, or did he look slightly off-balance as he pulled that guy to the ground?  He just doesn't look the part"

Seems like Rex had already dismissed your theory that Babin was taking Coples' job. Babin's getting extra live practice reps in case of injury. That's it. 

What else have you got? 

either that or he's in danger of being cut.    I don't think he has any guaranteed $$ in his contract and it wouldn't surprise me one bit to see Babin cut.  

either that or he's in danger of being cut.    I don't think he has any guaranteed $$ in his contract and it wouldn't surprise me one bit to see Babin cut.  

Agreed.  Especially when you consider he's an a$$hole and has no interest in anything other than rushing the passer.   I could see it.  And with the way IK has been playing...I almost prefer to give them the snaps intended for Babin.  Might be a hidden gem.

I'm not saying Coples sucks.  I'm simply making an observation that from my point of view his contribution to our team defense has been mediocre at best since he's been here.

I'm hopeful all the stories are true and he has a great year.  I believe our team needs a true edge pass rusher and the fact that Q hasn't delivered is a big issue for our club.

Besides trying to win an argument...has anyone seen Q really be the impact player he was drafted to be?  I haven't.  

I was actually wondering this myself just the other day.  He hasn't done a damn thing out there so far, and there hasn't been much positive about him coming out of practices either.  With there being a lot of questions lately about the fringe/depth guys on this roster, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see a late veteran addition to the roster being sent packing.  Barnes' health might also end up playing a factor there.

I'm not saying Coples sucks. I'm simply making an observation that from my point of view his contribution to our team defense has been mediocre at best since he's been here.

I'm hopeful all the stories are true and he has a great year. I believe our team needs a true edge pass rusher and the fact that Q hasn't delivered is a big issue for our club.

Besides trying to win an argument...has anyone seen Q really be the impact player he was drafted to be? I haven't.

IMO, they took a flyer on him thinking that Rex's "charisma" would motivate him and it hasn't. He's exactly the player that every pre-draft discussion of him warned us he'd be.

IMO, they took a flyer on him thinking that Rex's "charisma" would motivate him and it hasn't. He's exactly the player that every pre-draft discussion of him warned us he'd be.

Wow, your trolling has really slipped in recent months. 

Now you are saying sh*t that doesn't even remotely jibe with reality. 

I actually like Coples a lot. I think he's going to have a career similar to Bryan Thomas; flashes the first 3-4 years, not bad enough to let go of, then things eventually click after enough experience. Their skillset and mentalities strike me as very similar. Thomas was a damn good player for the second half of his career too.

I actually like Coples a lot. I think he's going to have a career similar to Bryan Thomas; flashes the first 3-4 years, not bad enough to let go of, then things eventually click after enough experience. Their skillset and mentalities strike me as very similar. Thomas was a damn good player for the second half of his career too.

I think Coples has way more upside potential than Bryan Thomas. 

Thomas turned into a very good player for us. Coples has the physical tools to be dominant. 

Hopefully, the next coach brings a 4-3 defense with him and lets Coples play as a 290 lb defensive tackle. This OLB sh*t is for the birds.

said something similar in the other Coples thread this morning: 

I think Coples' floor is Bryan Thomas. And while Thomas was a disappointment in his own right in the pass rush department, he turned out to be a solid NFL starter. Coples already appears better than Thomas rushing the passer, so we'll see. He doesn't suck, and he's not a bust. He might be out of position, but I don't see that as ill-conceived, either. He's out of position because the coach is trying to get his best players all on the field, and feels that Coples is one of those best players. I'm looking forward to seeing improvement from him over the course of the season with a full year under his belt at the position. 

You're becoming the T0m Shaniest T0m Shane in all the Shane.

What? I think it makes perfect sense that you'd sit the 24-year old trying to learn a new position to give pre-season snaps to the 34-year old veteran because you're worried about the 24-year old getting injured at some point and you want the 34-year old veteran to be ready.

What? I think it makes perfect sense that you'd sit the 24-year old trying to learn a new position to give pre-season snaps to the 34-year old veteran because you're worried about the 24-year old getting injured at some point and you want the 34-year old veteran to be ready.

It does kind of make sense if you have a 22 YO (IK) who is showing flashes, and you want to see if the 34 YO, who hasn't shown much yet, is worth dedicating a roster spot to.

It does kind of make sense if you have a 22 YO (IK) who is showing flashes, and you want to see if the 34 YO, who hasn't shown much yet, is worth dedicating a roster spot to.

Word. I think the motivation for it is mostly to light a fire under Coples' ass, and to also see if there are players behind him who are ready to step in if Coples doesn't produce.

15 QB hits is nothing to sneeze at (and suggests the sack numbers might take a jump this season), but there are so many plays where he's just invisible. Weird player.

I'm sure part of it was being a rookie and then learning a new position. He was probably thinking too much. But also it's the system. He was playing 3 downs toward then end of last season and he wasn't just asked to rush the passer. He was doing a lot of the the thankless stuff too...the stuff Bart Scott talked about.

Another thing to consider is that the front 7 is talented. It's tough to make every play when the guy next you is better and makes a lot of plays too. Especially when sometimes your assignment is to open things up for one of them to make a play.

Coples makes plays. He does it vs both the run and pass. He's needs to be more consistent, no doubt. You'd like to see him shed blockers a little better too. If he doesn't over power immediately, you usually see him in a stalemate. It's not like you ever see him on skates.

Archived