Rex gets criticized by Bengals coach

faba

Bengals coach cites Jets' 'garbage' tactics
August, 19, 2014
AUG 19
10:00
AM ET
FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Can't believe we're still talking about a preseason game, three days after the fact,
By Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com
but New York Jets-Cincinnati Bengals keeps giving. Turns out the Bengals were surprised (read: not happy) with Rex Ryan's late-game blitzing tactics. 

"Notice he didn't bring that stuff when our starters were out there," Bengals offensive line coach Paul Alexander said, according to Cincinnati.com. "We'd have scored quicker. If he wants to put his starting defense out there and blitz all that garbage against our third-stringers, if he feels good about it, then all the power to him.'' 

Backup quarterback Jason Campbell, who didn't play because of an injury, said: "Some of it was a little extreme. I remember back in the day, preseason games you didn't see any blitzes. Everyone was so vanilla all the way to the regular season. Now it's a different day and age and teams really just throw it all out there." 

The Jets won 25-17, playing with an aggressive mentality from start to finish. They went for a home run on the first play, but Geno Smith overthrew an open David Nelson on a deep post. The Jets incurred 12 penalties, including six personal fouls, but as Ryan said Monday, "We weren't going to be a punching bag."

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jason Campbell is a Bengal now?

Lay money in Vegas right now on Marvin Lewis getting fired. The last five head coaches Jason Campbell played for got fired. 

U may be right, ,Bengals playing good , but I think Marvin is up there as far as NFL seniority and if Bengals stumble and miss playoffs I hear he is gone....

Bengals coach cites Jets' 'garbage' tactics

August, 19, 2014

AUG 19

10:00

AM ET

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Can't believe we're still talking about a preseason game, three days after the fact,

By Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com

but New York Jets-Cincinnati Bengals keeps giving. Turns out the Bengals were surprised (read: not happy) with Rex Ryan's late-game blitzing tactics. 

"Notice he didn't bring that stuff when our starters were out there," Bengals offensive line coach Paul Alexander said, according to Cincinnati.com. "We'd have scored quicker. If he wants to put his starting defense out there and blitz all that garbage against our third-stringers, if he feels good about it, then all the power to him.'' 

Backup quarterback Jason Campbell, who didn't play because of an injury, said: "Some of it was a little extreme. I remember back in the day, preseason games you didn't see any blitzes. Everyone was so vanilla all the way to the regular season. Now it's a different day and age and teams really just throw it all out there." 

The Jets won 25-17, playing with an aggressive mentality from start to finish. They went for a home run on the first play, but Geno Smith overthrew an open David Nelson on a deep post. The Jets incurred 12 penalties, including six personal fouls, but as Ryan said Monday, "We weren't going to be a punching bag."

So let me get this straight, this is the offensive line coach boasting they would have scored faster? Shouldn't the OC be making those kind of threats?

They are the ones who said it, not me. That doesn't bother you? Or are you just so invested in wishful thinking that you're just going to be willfully blind and deaf?

I am gonna root for my team and hope for the best. I have no input on what happens. It is a short season so I enjoy every week no matter what happens. Of course I want them to win but I still have to go to work every Monday and deal with life's real problems. U on the other hand seem to not be able to let it go. Only hurting yourself bro.

I am gonna root for my team and hope for the best. I have no input on what happens. It is a short season so I enjoy every week no matter what happens. Of course I want them to win but I still have to go to work every Monday and deal with life's real problems. U on the other hand seem to not be able to let it go. Only hurting yourself bro.

Listen BRO. If your extent of contribution to this is "I'm gonna root for my team and hope for the best!" why are you wasting your time?  

Rex is looking for pass rushers/blitzers for when the regular season starts. Gee, sorry for practicing those plays with the reserves. Totally unfair. 

Haha and he never had his first string d in vs. their 3rd.  lol

What a pussy this coach is. 

Listen BRO. If your extent of contribution to this is "I'm gonna root for my team and hope for the best!" why are you wasting your time?  

Because not everyone wants to hear you cry like a little biotch over things that you cant control.

Is this better? STFU u whining little pri*k, Coples is great, u suck.

Good point - Rex is preparing for the Giants to go all out to win. This is beat giants week.

Funny you should say that. U do realize that the VaGiants has\ve  a habit of blitzing and knocking out our starting QB seemingly every year?

Jason Campbell is a Bengal now?

Lay money in Vegas right now on Marvin Lewis getting fired. The last five head coaches Jason Campbell played for got fired. 

So far, Marvin Lewis hasn't managed to get himself fired -- which is a pretty amazing thing if you review his Bengals resume over the years.   He really shouldn't need Campbell's help, but it might just push him over the edge.

Archived