NFL broadcasters chime in on the Jets

faba

By Dom Cosentino | NJ.com 
Follow on Twitter 
on August 19, 2014 at 10:28 AM, updated August 19, 2014 at 12:25 PM

Reddit

Email

NEW YORK -- CBS and the NFL Network are partnering this fall to broadcast Thursday Night Football, with Thursday night games from Weeks 2 through 8 simulcast on both networks before the NFL Network takes the reins for the games the rest of the season.

The NFL Network will carry two pregame shows (one at 6 p.m., the other at 7:30) before using the full CBS production team for the game broadcast, including lead announcers Jim Nantz and ex-Giants quarterback Phil Simms and sideline reporter Tracy Wolfson. Every NFL team will play one Thursday night game, with the Giants visiting the Redskins on Sept. 25 and the Jetsplaying at the Patriots on Oct. 16. All games are scheduled to kick off at 8:25 p.m.

On Monday at CBS headquarters, the networks held a media day for the on-air talent for from both networks. We asked some of them what expectations they had for the Jets this season. What follows are some of the responses we got, which have been edited and condensed for clarity.

Phil Simms, CBS analyst, on Jets quarterback Geno Smith: "What I’ve seen, he’s definitely a different guy, handles himself differently, looks more confident throwing the ball, his decision-making. He looks more sure of what he’s doing. I think the whole offense, personnel-wise and thought-wise is gonna be better.”

Ex-Jets linebacker Bart Scott, The NFL Today: “They can be a better team this year, but they’re playing a brutal schedule. They’re playing some of the best quarterbacks this game has to offer. They have to get off to a fast start. Really, when you have a young team, you have to build that confidence early.”

Tony Gonzalez, The NFL Today: “I think [Geno’s] going to play well. He’s got some new toys in town with Eric Decker, Chris Johnson in the backfield—that’s probably going to be probably his best friend, just turning around and handing him the ball, and helping him create some good throws, good accuracy-type throws for him. I think they’re going to be pretty good. They’ve got one of the best defensive tackles, Muhammad Wilkerson. We played against him last year [when Gonzalez was with the Falcons], and he terrorized us, absolutely terrorized us; we couldn’t do anything, couldn’t block him. They’ve got the building blocks to go out there and have a more successful season than they did last year.”

Ex-Jets quarterback Boomer Esiason, The NFL Today: "My thoughts are just like everybody else’s: They’ve got to get the secondary straightened out, and one of the reasons why Rex Ryan’s defenses are so difficult to play against is because he plays a lot of man coverage. But, as you saw Saturday night, and as you see the quarterbacks that they’re playing, the first eight games of the year—forget it. The front seven will be as good as anybody. But I don’t believe you’ve seen the full defensive backfield yet for the Jets. If you’re [Patriots coach] Bill Belichick, why would you even have a running back in the backfield? Just go out there with five wide receivers and say go cover them. It’s going to be tough.”

Steve Mariucci, NFL Network, on Michael Vick: "Not everybody has a veteran backup quarterback that’s been there, done that. They’re very lucky to have him. They’ll find a way to use him, I’m sure, outside of Geno getting hurt. Which will be fun for them. And why not?"

Greg Gumbel, CBS play-by-play voice: “Geno made all the mistakes that you would expect a [rookie] quarterback to make, and I don’t know that that’s so odd. Obviously, there are some quarterbacks who didn’t do that, but the fact is, a lot of them do. I’ve never been a believer that you can really tell what a football team is going to be like until about a month into the season. You never know how rookies are going to impact the team, you never know how free agents are going to impact the team.”

Marshall Faulk, NFL Network: “I really don’t really have any [expectations]. I really don’t know how to identify the team and what they’ve done. If you’re trying to help Rex out, then you keep your corners and you want to play good defense. They could come out and play good, or they could come out and play bad. Usually you could hang your hat on why a team is going to win or lose. I don’t know with the Jets.”

Michael Irvin, NFL Network: "Let’s give this kid [Geno Smith] a chance to develop. He finally has the receiver in Decker. When you want to get a receiver to help a young guy, you want to bring in a technician. Because he can help a young quarterback. You don’t want to go and bring in a Randy Moss, who, you can give him a play, but he’s going to stick his hand up, and go deep. You need a technician because he’s learning the technical parts of the game. Eric Decker is a technician. It makes a huge difference."

Rich Gannon, CBS analyst: “I think they’ve got a chance to be a good football team. Geno had a chance to play a lot as a rookie, get his feet wet. I think they’re going to be better around him."

They’ve got one of the best defensive tackles, Muhammad Wilkerson. We played against him last year [when Gonzalez was with the Falcons], and he terrorized us, absolutely terrorized us; we couldn’t do anything, couldn’t block him. They’ve got the building blocks to go out there and have a more successful season than they did last year.”

who is that guy ? never heard of him

Except for Faulk. His in-depth analysis was about as coherent as a T0m Shane post.

This could go down as the best analysis I have ever seen.

They could come out and play good, or they could come out and play bad

This could go down as the best analysis I have ever seen.

They could come out and play good, or they could come out and play bad

I was thinking the exact same thing.  Is Faulk always that way?  I haven't listened to him much.

I know right...their opinions don't carry any more weight than what we see on the board.  Rich Gannon? Pfft...what does he know?

That all depends on whether their comments are positive or negative, and therefore whether I agree with them.  They'll then be appropriately deemed as either brilliant or clueless.

That all depends on whether their comments are positive or negative, and therefore whether I agree with them.  They'll then be appropriately deemed as either brilliant or clueless.

Sounds about right...LOL

I know right...their opinions don't carry any more weight than what we see on the board.  Rich Gannon? Pfft...what does he know?

Tell me really what did you get from those comments opinions that you already didn't know about. And then there are gems like these.

Marshall Faulk, NFL Network: “I really don’t really have any [expectations]. I really don’t know how to identify the team and what they’ve done. If you’re trying to help Rex out, then you keep your corners and you want to play good defense. They could come out and play good, or they could come out and play bad. Usually you could hang your hat on why a team is going to win or lose. I don’t know with the Jets.”

A simple "I don't know" would have sufficed.

Tell me really what did you get from those comments opinions that you already didn't know about. And then there are gems like these.

A simple "I don't know" would have sufficed.

Oh, I knew about a lot of it, but a lot of posters may be shocked to learn that established NFL super bowl winners and hall-of-famers are saying there's a chance the Jets might be good.  Learning that they havne't punted away the season may come as quite a surprise to some.

I would not have expected any of them to come out and bash Geno since that's really not a good move for an analyst with a QB going into his second year. I don't see much wrong with what they said but keep in mind they have 32 NFL teams to cover they probably don't know as much as most of us here know about the daily workings of the team.

I would be willing to bet most on this forum are terrified about our secondary.

While I think Antonio Allen is a solid Safety watching him play corner tells me that wont work..... he's simply not quick enough to play the position nor does he possess the technique to play the position that much was obvious.

Teams will use what they have always used to beat Rex's defense short quick passes and destroy us up the middle with the TE. If that was not bad enough now we are glaringly weak on the outside.

We all know no one can run on us so why in the hell would they ?

I would not have expected any of them to come out and bash Geno since that's really not a good move for an analyst with a QB going into his second year. I don't see much wrong with what they said but keep in mind they have 32 NFL teams to cover they probably don't know as much as most of us here know about the daily workings of the team.

I would be willing to bet most on this forum are terrified about our secondary.

While I think Antonio Allen is a solid Safety watching him play corner tells me that wont work..... he's simply not quick enough to play the position nor does he possess the technique to play the position that much was obvious.

Teams will use what they have always used to beat Rex's defense short quick passes and destroy us up the middle with the TE. If that was not bad enough now we are glaringly weak on the outside.

We all know no one can run on us so why in the hell would they ?

It's all pretty bland by design. No one is gonna rip a player or coach, nor are they goinhg to predict great things. They all pretty much say nothing. No great secrets that the passing defense needs better secondary play and a pass rush without blitzing and somebody has to pass the ball better than last season.

I've said this a bunch of times already but Bart Scott is a really good analyst....actually looking forward to the CBS pregame which had been unwatchable for years. Marino offered less than nothing. Doesnt take a stand on any topic and then picks the Dolphins to win every week. Thanks Dan.

I've said this a bunch of times already but Bart Scott is a really good analyst....actually looking forward to the CBS pregame which had been unwatchable for years. Marino offered less than nothing. Doesnt take a stand on any topic and then picks the Dolphins to win every week. Thanks Dan.

totally agree, he was great on that early cbs show last year, it's nice to have someone in the national media that isn't killing the jets for the hell of it also

Archived