Experienced Cornerback Florence just went on the market

faba

Lions part ways with Drayton Florence

Posted by Josh Alper on August 19, 2014, 2:43 PM EDT
AP

If the Lions are going to have experienced depth at cornerback on their roster this season, it isn’t going to come from Drayton Florence.

The Lions announced Tuesday that they have released Florence. The move comes 12 days after they signed Florence, who previously spent the 2012 season playing in Detroit.

Florence had a successful year with the Panthers in 2013, but the Lions don’t seem to think that he can replicate that effort for them this season. That they came to that conclusion without a particularly strong group of cornerbacks is not a great sign for the 33-year-old’s future in the NFL, although there are always injuries opening up opportunities at the position around the league.

Darius Slay and Rashean Mathis are slated to start at corner in Detroit withBill Bentley, Nevin Lawson, Cassius Vaughn and Jonte Green among those vying for roles in sub packages.

if he's a man to man guy, kick the tires

Serious question... at what point does player strength/experience trump scheme fit?

I say this because Mangini was incapable of scheming around the talent he had here, and it cost us a couple of years sitting and waiting for him to find the "right fits". So, given that Rex is clearly a much, much more competent and talented defensive coach than Mangini, how forgiving should we be if Rex/Idzik opt not to add zone corners, even if they are far more talented than what we've got, because they don't fit the scheme Rex usually runs?

Shouldn't a great coach scheme around the roster adversity? 

Serious question... at what point does player strength/experience trump scheme fit?

I say this because Mangini was incapable of scheming around the talent he had here, and it cost us a couple of years sitting and waiting for him to find the "right fits". So, given that Rex is clearly a much, much more competent and talented defensive coach than Mangini, how forgiving should we be if Rex/Idzik opt not to add zone corners, even if they are far more talented than what we've got, because they don't fit the scheme Rex usually runs?

Shouldn't a great coach scheme around the roster adversity? 

I think if the Jets don't add any CBs, Rex needs to employ some zone with what he's got, but I don't think they should look to add any zone CBs. 

On a more serious note, I guess there's no problem "kicking the tires" but Detroit has had a horrible secondary for years.  If he can't stick with them, I don't know how much he could possibly offer.

I think if the Jets don't add any CBs, Rex needs to employ some zone with what he's got, but I don't think they should look to add any zone CBs. 

The last time Rex put a zone out on the field we got torched to the point his own players begged him at half time to go back to man. I believe it was Revis

The last time Rex put a zone out on the field we got torched to the point his own players begged him at half time to go back to man. I believe it was Revis

What have you done??? NNNOOOOOOOOOOOO you're going to awaken them................. Here it comes.... here comes the "if we had re-signed Revis" crap again... 

What happened to the guy we signed from the Lions who got hurt in preseason last year? Can't remember his name..

Aaron Berry?

That is who he meant.  We signed him before 2012.  He played a bit in 2012 and got injured.  Missed all last year with the ACL.  He is one of a ton of injured CBs on the Browns.  

Lions part ways with Drayton Florence

Posted by Josh Alper on August 19, 2014, 2:43 PM EDT
AP

If the Lions are going to have experienced depth at cornerback on their roster this season, it isn’t going to come from Drayton Florence.

The Lions announced Tuesday that they have released Florence. The move comes 12 days after they signed Florence, who previously spent the 2012 season playing in Detroit.

Florence had a successful year with the Panthers in 2013, but the Lions don’t seem to think that he can replicate that effort for them this season. That they came to that conclusion without a particularly strong group of cornerbacks is not a great sign for the 33-year-old’s future in the NFL, although there are always injuries opening up opportunities at the position around the league.

Darius Slay and Rashean Mathis are slated to start at corner in Detroit withBill BentleyNevin LawsonCassius Vaughn and Jonte Green among those vying for roles in sub packages.

A look maybe but doubt he has anything left...the Lions secondary is atrocious.

Archived