New York Jets Roster; Who Is In, Who Is Out?

Maxman

http://blogtalk.vo.llnwd.net/o23/show/6/813/show_6813921.mp3

The Jets are 2 and 0 so far this preseason, but as they head towards their 3rd game there are plenty of questions. This week Brandon Dowling and Joe Blewett will look at those questions and take a look at the New York Jets roster. The Jets have some interesting decisions to make, especially at running back, wide receiver and safety. Calvin Pryor took the field against the Bengals and was impressive. But the Jets still have question marks at cornerback. And what is going on with Jalen Saunders?

Brandon and Joe will also go over the key dates to remember, when will the roster cuts happen and talk about what to watch for in the game Friday night against the Giants. Be sure to call in at (646) 716-4697 and let us know what you think about the team.

Check out our archives –> NY Jets Podcast on iTunes

Here is the link to the show --> http://blogtalk.vo.llnwd.net/o23/show/6/813/show_6813921.mp3

QB (3):

Geno Smith

Mike Vick

Matt Simms

*If Tajh Boyd isn't gone in the first round of cuts, it's an embarrassment. If he makes the final roster, they should just forfeit the entire 2014 schedule and fire everyone because the leadership template is upside down.

RB (4):

Chris Ivory

Chris Johnson

Bilal Powell

Tommy Bohanon

*Unless Daryl Richardson can return kicks, he's toast. Powell met the challenge.

WR (6):

Eric Decker

Jeremy Kerley

Greg Salas

David Nelson

Jacoby Ford

Jalen Saunders

They need to cut bait with Stephen Hill. He's become the Mark Sanchez of WRs here. the final two spots have to go to special teams guys, and if there's a seventh receiver kept, it should be Quincy Enunwa. 

TE (3):

Jace Amaro

Jeff Cumberland

Zach Sudfeld

The unfortunate part here is that there's not a blocker among this group, which makes Sudfeld vulnerable.

OL (9):

T D'Brickashaw Ferguson

T Breno Giacomini

T Ben Ijlana

G/T Oday Aboushi

G Willie Colon

G Brian Winters

G Dakota Dozier

C Nick Mangold

C/G Dalton Freeman

Overall, a scary group, especially if an injury pops up. If there is post-cuts turnover to be had, it'll be within this group, as they could use another 3 or 4 veteran bodies for insurance.

DL (8):

DE Sheldon Richardson

DE Mo Wilkerson

DE Kerry Hyder

DE/OLB IK Enemkpali

DT Damon Harrison

DT TJ Barnes

DT/DE Leger Douzable

DT Kenrick Ellis

If the right veteran shakes loose off of another roster, I could definitely see Kenrick Ellis getting cut.

LB (8):

ILB David Harris

ILB Demario Davis

ILB AJ Edds

OLB Quinton Coples

OLB Jason Babin

OLB Antwan Barnes

OLB Calvin Pace

OLB Garrett McIntyre

CB (5):

Dee Milliner

Ellis Lankster

Dimitri Patterson

Kyle Wilson

Darrin Walls

A thin group that could include Antonio Allen in a pinch.

S (4):

Antonio Allen

Calvin Pryor

Dawan Landry

Rontez Miles

Special Teams (3):

K Nick Folk

P Ryan Quigley

LS: Tanner Purdum

Practice Squad:

CB Brandon Dixon

CB Jeremy Reeves

DE Anthony Grady

LB Jeremiah George

LB Steele Divitto

T Brent Qvale

OLB Trevor Reilly

WR Quincy Enunwa

QB (3):

I hope they keep 2 QB and put whoever is number 3 on the taxi squad.  no one's gonna swoop in on that garbage. And if they get past Vick the seasons basically done anyway. 

Isaiah Richardson can make this roster, and the reason is that Chris IVory can't stay healthy. The fact that Alex Green has the same number as Calvin Pryor is announcing to the world he's not making the team. 

He can't really catch but Stephen Hill is actually very good run blocking and that's going to be something the Jets try to do. 

Saunders might be another IR'ed WR his one car accident sounds shady as heck (seizure?) Ford and Saunders are basically they same player they can't keep em both. 

IF Salas doesn't make this roster it's a crime against humanity

Kenrick Ellis will not be cut, because he's perfect for the 46 bear look that Rex loves.  Kerry Hyder has been a training camp darling but he's not better than Ellis

I liked that you got rid of Jaiqwuan Jarrett. That guy eats ass. 

Great job again tonight guys.  I looked for a Jets related podcast about a year and a half ago and the only thing I found was a couple of dudes who thought it was super cool to curse every other word and offered nothing.  Great rapport and always a good listen.

The position "battle" between Nelson and Hill should get them both cut lol

no question.. the weird thing is with saunders situation. I suspect saunders is headed for IR or rehab or something not good.  that could mean the big WR overhaul amounts to just decker, as Ford really is a return guy in my mind

no question.. the weird thing is with saunders situation. I suspect saunders is headed for IR or rehab or something not good.  that could mean the big WR overhaul amounts to just decker, as Ford really is a return guy in my mind

The Jets should just refrain from drafting tight ends and receivers. They're cursed.

Who was the last offensive skill position player the Jets drafted where you said "they hit a homer"? It's pretty pathetic really when you look at the names.

blair Thomas....I thought he was going to be great, still pissed about that Monday night game against the bears lol

Who was the last offensive skill position player the Jets drafted where you said "they hit a homer"?  It's pretty pathetic really when you look at the names.

Santana Moss has had a great career with the Redskins lol.

But in all seriousness prior to Leon Washington breaking his leg...he was a fun player to watch. But to answer your point...the Jets havent drafted a skill player where NFL.com is rushing to print the jersey probably since Keyshawn.

The Jets should just refrain from drafting tight ends and receivers. They're cursed.

looks like saunders passed out to me.  maybe dehydrated or on the bryan thomas mcdonalds drive through diet.  I hope he's ok

FLORHAM PARK – Jets rookie wide receiver Jalen Saunders was conscious and accepted medical treatment when first responders arrived at his car Friday morning, following Saunders experiencing “a medical event,” according to Lt. Matthew Gatzke of the Florham Park police department.

Gatzke said Saunders was transported to Morristown Medical Center, after he had what a police report referred to as “a medical event” in his vehicle. The Jets said Saunders was released from the hospital Sunday. 

Jets coach Rex Ryan said Saunders was at the team’s facility in Florham Park on Sunday, after the Jets returned from Saturday night’s preseason game at the Bengals. Ryan said he spoke to Saunders on Sunday, but offered no details about their conversation.

“It was great to see him,” Ryan said.

The Jets and Ryan have declined to elaborate on Saunders’s medical condition, or say if there could be any long-term concerns about his health. The police report also did not elaborate on the nature of Saunders’s medical event.

Saunders was at practice Monday, but did not participate. He wore his jersey and sat on a cart in the trainers’ area. He also did some light pedaling on a stationary bike. The Jets said their medical team wants to ease him back into practice.

Ryan has ruled Saunders out of playing in Friday night’s third preseason game, against  the Giants. The Jets practice again on Tuesday and Wednesday this week, and have a walk-through practice Thursday at Hofstra. Ryan said Saunders has not yet been ruled out of potentially returning to practice this week.

Ryan said he is “not sure” when exactly Saunders might be able to practice again. Ryan also said it is “too early to say” whether Saunders will miss any regular season games.

When asked directly what is wrong with Saunders, Ryan said, “He can tell you a lot better than I could, on what happened, how he is and all that kind of stuff. I don’t have that information right now to tell you.”

The Jets said Saunders will speak to reporters Tuesday or Wednesday. It is unclear if Saunders plans to shed any light on what happened to him Friday morning.

At 7:50 a.m. Friday, Saunders was driving his black 2014 Toyota Corolla westbound on Florham Park Road when he attempted to make a left turn to head south onto Park Avenue. The intersection is maybe a minute from the Jets’ complex.

But as he negotiated the turn, Saunders experienced the medical event, according to the  report, which also stated: "Vehicle did not make a full turn and proceeded on an angle across the north lanes of Park Avenue, striking a curb. After striking the curb [saunders's vehicle] continued forward leaving the roadway and coming to a rest in high grass … "

While not offering many details Monday about Saunders’s situation, Ryan did say, “Right now, we’re taking a cautious approach with him, a smart approach. He won’t play this week. We’ll see how he progresses. I know our trainers and our doctors are going to monitor his situation.”

Saunders is not one of the Jets’ top-line receivers, but he is listed as their first-team punt returner. His status for the Sept. 7 season opener against the Raiders is up in the air.

“I think from standing here, it’s easy to say, ‘Ah, I think he’ll play,’” Ryan said. “But we don’t know, really, how he’s going to progress through this exercise and all that. The main thing is, the health of our player, the health of Jalen. I think doing right by him will determine if he’s ready to play or not.

“I think the big thing is, I’m just leaning on the professionals’ advice, on how we’re going to approach it. For us to say ‘oh, yeah, he’s ready to go,’ or whatever, I think it’s a lot smarter to put it in somebody else’s hands that knows a lot more about it.”

looks like saunders passed out to me.  maybe dehydrated or on the bryan thomas mcdonalds drive through diet.  I hope he's ok

FLORHAM PARK – Jets rookie wide receiver Jalen Saunders was conscious and accepted medical treatment when first responders arrived at his car Friday morning, following Saunders experiencing “a medical event,” according to Lt. Matthew Gatzke of the Florham Park police department.

Gatzke said Saunders was transported to Morristown Medical Center, after he had what a police report referred to as “a medical event” in his vehicle. The Jets said Saunders was released from the hospital Sunday. 

Jets coach Rex Ryan said Saunders was at the team’s facility in Florham Park on Sunday, after the Jets returned from Saturday night’s preseason game at the Bengals. Ryan said he spoke to Saunders on Sunday, but offered no details about their conversation.

“It was great to see him,” Ryan said.

The Jets and Ryan have declined to elaborate on Saunders’s medical condition, or say if there could be any long-term concerns about his health. The police report also did not elaborate on the nature of Saunders’s medical event.

Saunders was at practice Monday, but did not participate. He wore his jersey and sat on a cart in the trainers’ area. He also did some light pedaling on a stationary bike. The Jets said their medical team wants to ease him back into practice.

Ryan has ruled Saunders out of playing in Friday night’s third preseason game, against  the Giants. The Jets practice again on Tuesday and Wednesday this week, and have a walk-through practice Thursday at Hofstra. Ryan said Saunders has not yet been ruled out of potentially returning to practice this week.

Ryan said he is “not sure” when exactly Saunders might be able to practice again. Ryan also said it is “too early to say” whether Saunders will miss any regular season games.

When asked directly what is wrong with Saunders, Ryan said, “He can tell you a lot better than I could, on what happened, how he is and all that kind of stuff. I don’t have that information right now to tell you.”

The Jets said Saunders will speak to reporters Tuesday or Wednesday. It is unclear if Saunders plans to shed any light on what happened to him Friday morning.

At 7:50 a.m. Friday, Saunders was driving his black 2014 Toyota Corolla westbound on Florham Park Road when he attempted to make a left turn to head south onto Park Avenue. The intersection is maybe a minute from the Jets’ complex.

But as he negotiated the turn, Saunders experienced the medical event, according to the  report, which also stated: "Vehicle did not make a full turn and proceeded on an angle across the north lanes of Park Avenue, striking a curb. After striking the curb [saunders's vehicle] continued forward leaving the roadway and coming to a rest in high grass … "

While not offering many details Monday about Saunders’s situation, Ryan did say, “Right now, we’re taking a cautious approach with him, a smart approach. He won’t play this week. We’ll see how he progresses. I know our trainers and our doctors are going to monitor his situation.”

Saunders is not one of the Jets’ top-line receivers, but he is listed as their first-team punt returner. His status for the Sept. 7 season opener against the Raiders is up in the air.

“I think from standing here, it’s easy to say, ‘Ah, I think he’ll play,’” Ryan said. “But we don’t know, really, how he’s going to progress through this exercise and all that. The main thing is, the health of our player, the health of Jalen. I think doing right by him will determine if he’s ready to play or not.

“I think the big thing is, I’m just leaning on the professionals’ advice, on how we’re going to approach it. For us to say ‘oh, yeah, he’s ready to go,’ or whatever, I think it’s a lot smarter to put it in somebody else’s hands that knows a lot more about it.”

He's tiny and he's going through his first NFL camp...could just be exhaustion. Who the heck knows. He doesnt sound like a jackass like McKnight was at least.

Practice Squad:

CB Brandon Dixon

CB Jeremy Reeves

DE Anthony Grady

LB Jeremiah George

LB Steele Divitto

T Brent Qvale

OLB Trevor Reilly

WR Quincy Enunwa

I can't see Idzik cutting Enunwa, George, and Dixon.      That would mean the Jets cut their 5th, 3 6th, and 7th rd picks.   

Tell me again why they didn't use those picks to move up.  

powell and IK really need to make the team

nelson really needs to go

Agree. I don't think Nelson is as much of a lock as some people think. The same goes for Ford.

I think there's a good chance the six receivers that make the final roster are Decker, Hill, Kerley, Salas, Saunders, and Enunwa. If they go with seven receivers, then Nelson stays.

Oh and if Enemkpali (sp?) keeps it up, there's no way he gets cut.

Agree. I don't think Nelson is as much of a lock as some people think. The same goes for Ford.

I think there's a good chance the six receivers that make the final roster are Decker, Hill, Kerley, Salas, Saunders, and Enunwa. If they go with seven receivers, then Nelson stays.

Oh and if Enemkpali (sp?) keeps it up, there's no way he gets cut.

Enunwa over Nelson and Ford? But why? Not being sarcastic or anything honest question.

Enunwa over Nelson and Ford? But why? Not being sarcastic or anything honest question.

Right now, it looks like Ford will only contribute in the return game. With more kickoffs ending up in the back of the end zone, that makes him less valuable. Plus, Saunders can return kicks.

Enunwa has been looking much better as of late. He's a raw player with a lot of potential. Nelson has hit his ceiling. With your #6 receiver spot, you go with the young guy with potential.

Right now, it looks like Ford will only contribute in the return game. With more kickoffs ending up in the back of the end zone, that makes him less valuable. Plus, Saunders can return kicks.

Enunwa has been looking much better as of late. He's a raw player with a lot of potential. Nelson has hit his ceiling. With your #6 receiver spot, you go with the young guy with potential.

Fair enough. I still think Nelson will make the team one way or another even though his play as been spotty at best so far this preseason. It is great to hear Enunwa is improving, at least one of our rookie wide outs is heading in the right direction.

I hope the top 5 is Decker Kerley Salas Nelson(although I really dont like him he catches the ball at least) and Hill (if he can stop being a total pussy thatd be nice)

Every time Nelson made a catch last year he seemed to trot off the field holding a body part. It got annoying.

Archived