Should Idzik try to trade for Josh Gordon?

joewilly12

I don't think any of them should. There are so many off-field indiscretions a person can make. This is merely one of them. 

At the same time, I do agree completely that Gordon is a complete f*cking moron. here are employers from coast to coast that have drug-free rules. One doesn't have to work there if one doesn't want, even if it's the best paying job one can get. Same with Gordon. There are other jobs he could get, like cleaning up public restrooms, where no one cares if he's stoned off his rocker and there's no pressure or worries about job performance. Those jobs pay a bit less than superstar WR, but the choice is his.

Gordon's a dumb ass, no doubt about that. But Gordon's shown he can function pretty well at his job while getting stoned.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Or they could just stop testing for it in the first place. 

I agree, but that is a different conversation.  The fact is Gordon is so dumb and undisciplined that he cannot control himself even when millions of dollars are on the line with his NFL career.  Since this is the only earning power he has, one would think he'd be smart enough not to violate again and be able to control his behavior.  Apparently, even $$$$$$$$$$$ and a career at UPS if he does not play football are not enough incentive.  What a ******* idiot.

I agree, but that is a different conversation.  The fact is Gordon is so dumb and undisciplined that he cannot control himself even when millions of dollars are on the line with his NFL career.  Since this is the only earning power he has, one would think he'd be smart enough and be able to control his behavior.  Apparently, even $$$$$$$$$$$ and a career at UPS if he does not play football are not enough incentive.  What a ******* idiot.

I think UPS drug tests. So he couldn't even do that. I don't know; maybe they don't.

Not even like it was an addictive drug either, where there's at least some sympathy for someone with a chemical addiction. This kid is just an imbecile beyond belief. Not like it was his first offense or anything. They gave him warnings & prior suspensions and told him precisely what was going to happen if he tests positive again.

What a maroon.

I don't think there's much point to mixing and matching this crap, and for some it is just so they have something else to bitch about.  Don't get me wrong, the NFL deserves to catch sh*t for how they handle some situations, such as Rice who I agree should have had his ass nailed to the wall for what he did.  But that doesn't change Gordon's situation and what a complete f'n moron he is, and so it's not a reason to simply excuse him because "well look at all this other sh*t that NFL has handled wrong".  In this case it is not only an established rule, he knew from last year if he caught again this was what was coming his way.  As far as I'm concerned, that alone eliminates any degree of supposed sympathy he should be getting.  He may be an amazingly talent WR, but the guy is friggin' braindead.  I simply can't feel sorry for someone who is that laughably stupid.

Yea but that's not the real issue:

the real issue is this - you can have either a) fame, glory and wealth or B) smoke weed.

If you choose B) - you have a real problem which is what this guy has.

I think the complaint, which I think is justified, is that it's not legal to beat on your woman either.  People go to jail for that for quite a bit of time. Who goes to jail - for more than a quick in & out booking if even that - for smoking weed without the intention to distribute? If Gordon was selling, that's different. He was smoking. Actually not even that; he tested positive. How many people have been sentenced to a prison term for testing positive for weed? Now how many people have been sentenced for beating on a woman? After answering those questions, ask what the sentences were, respectively, for Gordon and Rice.

The obvious answer is that Goodell isn't attempting to state that one "crime" is worse than another. But rather, that subsequent indiscretions are treated more harshly than initial ones. While true, it doesn't change that one guy is getting suspended 16 games for testing positive for (trace) amounts of weed in his system (which technically could be second-hand, and no one actually saw him lighting up himself); and another guy beat on his woman and the aftermath of it is on freaking video tape where he more or less drops her semi-conscious or unconscious head, dead weight, onto a granite floor.

Then again, none of this would be a factor if Gordon just stopped smoking long enough to pocket $30M, and if Rice refrained from being a lowlife dirtbag.

I think Idzik should go trade for him if the Browns want to be short-sighted. By the time his suspension is up, we'll be able to order weed with our coffee at the Dunkin Donuts drive-thru anyway.

I know.. In seriousness I get the rules in bylaws they agreed to , but even Goodell has to be thinking 'wtf'

Archived