Enemkpali making a name for himself

Maxman

By Air Force Jet Fan - Glenn Naughton

Every year at the outset of the NFL pre-season, fans hold their collective breath and wait to see what late-round pick or undrafted free-agent will step up and earn a spot on the final roster. In the salary cap era, "bang for your buck" players are a must have.  Late round contributors who don't demand top-dollar, but who contribute on a week-to-week basis can help balance out the established talent that's bound to soak up a large portion of the allotted cap.

After only two pre-season games, one player who has worked himself on to the Jets radar is rookie DE Ikemefuna Enemkpali.  In limited playing time Enemkpali has registered 3 tackles, 2 sacks, a QB hit and a blocked punt for a safety.  Making multiple impact plays on defense is the best way for any young player to get noticed and work his way up the depth chart.

The rookie out of Louisiana Tech who played for Skip Holtz, (son of legendary Notre Dame coach Lou Holtz) was selected in the sixth round (#210 overall) by the Jets and his early success will make it tough on the coaching staff to overlook or place on the practice squad.  A player with Enemkpali's skill-set and early success puts the Jets in a difficult position. Trying to "stash" him on the practice squad without another team stealing him away is unlikley.

NFL.com had this to say about Enemkpali on their "bottom line" of his player profile leading up to the draft:

A strong, tenacious, tightly wound leverage-power rusher most ideally suited for a 3-4 outside linebacker role. Will require patience to develop. Has a high-collision special-teams temperament to contribute in coverage if he can learn to unlock his hips. Best chance will come in Blitzburgh.

It's too soon to say, but the early returns on Enemkpali are positive to say the least, and the Jets are hoping they got themselves a steal who can step in and contribute right away.

In a prior thread I said that IK will easily make this team. Someone responded that they would not just be surprised, but absolutely shocked. Since then IK has recorded 2 sacks, 3 tackles, a forced fumble, a blocked punt and a safety. 

IK is easily making this team. He may end up being our "Navarro Bowman" of our draft class. 

IK would make a great depth player, and has stood out these last two games. He's had two game ending plays, and has really made his presence felt with little time on the field. I really hope we keep him over Jeremiah George.

He hasn't just stood out, stat wise he's been our best defensive lineman of the preseason. On top of the fact that when he's made these plays they've been at crucial, or "clutch" moments. The guy is getting busy. 

IK would make a great depth player, and has stood out these last two games. He's had two game ending plays, and has really made his presence felt with little time on the field. I really hope we keep him over Jeremiah George.

I don't think George and IK are in competition.  George is an ILB in competition with Bellore and probably Edds.  IK is competition with guys like Babin, Trevor Reilly, Zach Thompson and Anthony Grady.

I don't think George and IK are in competition.  George is an ILB in competition with Bellore and probably Edds.  IK is competition with guys like Babin, Trevor Reilly, Zach Thompson and Anthony Grady.

I know. IK is a OLB, and George is a ILB but I meant in terms of a roster spot as opposed to competition... He'll be a rotation player at best. I just meant it's unlikely they'll both be kept on the 53 man roster, and I'd rather have them use a spot for IK instead of George or Reilly, etc. Out of all the players who aren't starters/locks on the front 7 I'd want a spot for IK first except for Babin, but that's a given since he's an established pass rusher.

I know. IK is a OLB, and George is a ILB but I meant in terms of a roster spot as opposed to competition... He'll be a rotation player at best. I just meant it's unlikely they'll both be kept on the 53 man roster, and I'd rather have them use a spot for IK instead of George or Reilly, etc. Out of all the players who aren't starters/locks on the front 7 I'd want a spot for IK first except for Babin, but that's a given since he's an established pass rusher.

Funny, Babin is probably the one I hope they cut.  ****, him that shirtless non-edge setting bastard. I did not watch the full Bengals game yet, but by most accounts Reilly has looked pretty good.  As far as remaining active, it is going to come down on specials.  IK was described as a high motor, high impact special teams type player, so I think he is better than even money to make it.  Villain and I argue all the time, but we usually agree with guys we've watched the highlights on, though maybe he gives "the tape" a little more weight than me.  We both liked this guy since draft day, though he is on the record and I am not.  

Funny, Babin is probably the one I hope they cut.  ****, him that shirtless non-edge setting bastard. I did not watch the full Bengals game yet, but by most accounts Reilly has looked pretty good.  As far as remaining active, it is going to come down on specials.  IK was described as a high motor, high impact special teams type player, so I think he is better than even money to make it.  Villain and I argue all the time, but we usually agree with guys we've watched the highlights on, though maybe he gives "the tape" a little more weight than me.  We both liked this guy since draft day, though he is on the record and I am not.  

Has Babin's number been called in either pre-season game yet?  I realize a proven vet isn't going to be high-motoring in two early exhibition games, but still I was amazed to read he was in for 30+ plays in the Bengals game...

Has Babin's number been called in either pre-season game yet?  I realize a proven vet isn't going to be high-motoring in two early exhibition games, but still I was amazed to read he was in for 30+ plays in the Bengals game...

I didn't see the Bengals game, but he was gave the edge consistently in the first half of the Colts game.  Not a 3 down backer.  Maybe he is learning the system, but still.  Reading between the lines about him getting reps with the 1's this week it either means they are unhappy with Coples, or they are considering dumping Babin.  Did they actually say Babin would be taking Coples reps, or could he be used in place of Pace?  I'm not sure how different the roles Pace and Coples play, but if it were just to get Babin reps I would think they would sit Pace who has had no motivation problems and is 100% in terms of knowing the D. It will be interesting to see what they do.

There was a video up on the Jets site with players talking about Babin and how he has been influential and has given tons of advice. Seemed almost contrary to all the other reports of him being King Dickhead. 

There was a video up on the Jets site with players talking about Babin and how he has been influential and has given tons of advice. Seemed almost contrary to all the other reports of him being King Dickhead. 

That would be one hell of an awkward looking throne.

Really though, isn't the new guy is always "a real nice guy" for a few months until something goes wrong, and it turns out whoever fired him from his last several jobs had it right.

I didn't see the Bengals game, but he was gave the edge consistently in the first half of the Colts game.  Not a 3 down backer.  Maybe he is learning the system, but still.  Reading between the lines about him getting reps with the 1's this week it either means they are unhappy with Coples, or they are considering dumping Babin.  Did they actually say Babin would be taking Coples reps, or could he be used in place of Pace?  I'm not sure how different the roles Pace and Coples play, but if it were just to get Babin reps I would think they would sit Pace who has had no motivation problems and is 100% in terms of knowing the D. It will be interesting to see what they do.

I am fairly certain i´ve read somewhere that they want him to learn the system + prove himself. No way they are moving on from Coples this year.

Like everyone else i think that IK has played extremely well. But i hope that Reilly and Edds also make the 53. They have also been impressive.

I have heard the guy is a little bit of a douche, and he does kinda have a smug smile... Maybe he knows, and is trying to get people to like him. and not for nothing but, 18 sacks in one season, he obviously is capable of some kind of production...

I have heard the guy is a little bit of a douche, and he does kinda have a smug smile... Maybe he knows, and is trying to get people to like him. and not for nothing but, 18 sacks in one season, he obviously is capable of some kind of production...

I heard he is a colossal douche, and he looks like one too. Hopefully he likes it here, or something. Whatever the reason, if he can teach a thing or two to someone like Coples.. nice.

That would be one hell of an awkward looking throne.

Really though, isn't the new guy is always "a real nice guy" for a few months until something goes wrong, and it turns out whoever fired him from his last several jobs had it right.

The video talked about how it was like Babin wanted to sincerely help.. and didn't hold back his own secrets. 

My biggest fear with him is that we will not use him in the role that he has been playing the last x years, DE. I am really limited when it comes to system analys but he has said so himself that his new role is way more complex.

Really?  I'll have to check that out.  He's carried the me first a$$hole reputation with him for a while.

Archived