Michael Irvin and Cris Carter assess Stephen Hill

T0mShane

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How? Rex owes his career to Lewis.

Oh I don't know. Maybe it's because people had been calling for Lewis' head for years. And Cinci's front office, despite tons of criticism for being incompetent and cheap (sound familiar?) stuck with him, and instead rid themselves of every bad apple and albatross on their roster. And has consequently assembled one of the best teams in the league.

Is anyone calling Marvin Lewis a bad coach now? Many were not long ago.

Oh I don't know. Maybe it's because people had been calling for Lewis' head for years. And Cinci's front office, despite tons of criticism for being incompetent and cheap (sound familiar?) stuck with him, and instead rid themselves of every bad apple and albatross on their roster. And has consequently assembled one of the best teams in the league.

He still has never won a playoff game, though...

Marvin Lewis is mediocre at best. The should be a Super Bowl team.

Lol.. Come on man, you bait these guys all the time. That's what trolling is. The fact that you don't admit to it is mind boggling, look at how you started this thread for christs sake, you knew exactly the reaction you were going to get the minute you posted it. Trying to turn around and blame it on the mods is T0mshameful

LOL!

I have said this a million times before. if Rex wins a super bowl all is forgiven. I want a super bowl, I have been waiting way too many years. if I criticize the Jets for raising their fists and jumping up and down in excitement over being mediocre and some people bruise their vaginas over it, I really dont care. get over it

If Rex wins the Super Bowl here we are not forgiving you though. So there, take that.

Now I have said this  other times before over the years here on the boards and I'll state it once again; Max talks about this whole "good and bad fans" notion, well I think there is such a thing as some guys being better fans than others. I consider the guys like Jimmy here (BP), Max up there, Tom Shane , and Bob TJF all of these old timers who were too young to have been alive to see what a Jets Super Bowl looks like-I can tell you this it is unlike ANY other New York team championship. The closest it looks like was the Miracle Mets of 1969. That city and the states surrounding went NUTS. 

All of the guys who through all of the years that have spent THOUSANDS and THOUSANDS of hard earned dough on tickets and gas and parking and flat beer or orange soda, all of the tailgate $ spent on food and jerseys, all of the crappy weather and crappy Jets teams THESE are the "good" fans-You guys are the one who more than any other guys, (yea and even guys like me) who DESERVE to see a NY Jets SB and have every right to complain as loudly as you want or don't want to. I hope that before I die I get to watch one more, and I would love to see YOU guys enjoying the fruits of all that you have invested come to be. 

Jimmy - of course there are good and bad Jets fans. I am just not allowed to say that. Because I am such a good Jets fan. :)

I don't think that the majority of guys that hate him think he is terrible coach.  They may hate him and 0see him as too imperfect to ever succeed at the highest level.  One of the major things that bothers them is that he seems too good at what he does to hit rock bottom and get canned. 

Killer post. 

2012 was rock bottom...most coaches don't survive that.

Oh please.  They were 6-10.  I could have seen them firing him, especially with the Holmes outburst, but Mike Smith was 4-12 last year and has won one playoff game.  Jeff Fisher went 5-11 and 4-12 in successive seasons and kept his job.  Mike McCarthy went 6-10 before he won his 2nd playoff game.  Coughlin had to go 6-10 twice in a row before the Pathers canned him.  Marv Lewis was 4-11-1 in 2008 and 4-12 in 2010 and he still has not won a playoff game.  I think you may have forgotten what rock bottom truly means. Don't you watch the Knicks? 

Oh please.  They were 6-10.  I could have seen them firing him, especially with the Holmes outburst, but Mike Smith was 4-12 last year and has won one playoff game.  Jeff Fisher went 5-11 and 4-12 in successive seasons and kept his job.  Mike McCarthy went 6-10 before he won his 2nd playoff game.  Coughlin had to go 6-10 twice in a row before the Pathers canned him.  Marv Lewis was 4-11-1 in 2008 and 4-12 in 2010 and he still has not won a playoff game.  I think you may have forgotten what rock bottom truly means. Don't you watch the Knicks? 

It's funny because it's true.

:1cry:

Oh please. They were 6-10. I could have seen them firing him, especially with the Holmes outburst, but Mike Smith was 4-12 last year and has won one playoff game. Jeff Fisher went 5-11 and 4-12 in successive seasons and kept his job. Mike McCarthy went 6-10 before he won his 2nd playoff game. Coughlin had to go 6-10 twice in a row before the Pathers canned him. Marv Lewis was 4-11-1 in 2008 and 4-12 in 2010 and he still has not won a playoff game. I think you may have forgotten what rock bottom truly means. Don't you watch the Knicks?

Hiring Tony Sporano to run an offense is rock bottom. 6 games 3 games whatever...that season was a total disaster. Tim Tebow, the butt fumble...that's a rock bottom season.

Hiring Tony Sporano to run an offense is rock bottom. 6 games 3 games whatever...that season was a total disaster. Tim Tebow, the butt fumble...that's a rock bottom season.

I don't think that Rex had anything to do with Tebow.  I think that was another example of the kind of meddling that goes outside the proper chain of command.  Sparano was a horrible hire.  I tend to think it was on Parcells advice to Woody.  I could be wrong, but that and the Holmes incident were valid reasons to feel Rex should go. OTOH, firing the coach because the idiot QB made an idiot play is poor reasoning and almost every season I mentioned up there was comparably "rock bottom" or worse.  Maybe you could cut McCarthy some slack for Rodgers first season starting. 

I think it was right around the draft when Jason said that they Jets would be feverishly trying to trade Hill during final cutdowns.

Considering how bad he's looked this preseason...that ship has probably sailed. It's time to move on anyways.

I have to agree with most that the monotonous droning about Rex sucks is tedious at best. The lack of success (though there has been some) is really all about the hierarchy - Tannenbaum was a weak GM - I do not know who was responsible for Shottenheimer or Sporano hiring but Tannenbaum has to take some of the blame. Idzik is a breath of fresh air - he is disciplined and has a vision. I like his draft and approach to FA. Right now the chemistry with Ryan appears good. We have a very competent OC (and coaches in general) though Lal appears to be down on everyone's radar. One thing I am certain Idzik will give his opinion to Ryan if he thinks a coordinator etc is not worth keeping around. The Idzik Ryan relationship has possibilties much moreso than the Tannenbaum Ryan phase.

As far as Hill - another Tannenbaum mistake - if I am not mistaken Ryan implied he wasn't thrilled with pick.

Hill is just one of those guys that had no hope. He's basically the Gholston of wide outs....once he suited up in game action...the initial reaction was most likely "uh-oh."

Didnt he have a bunch of receptions and 2 TDs his first game? Such a tease.

Didnt he have a bunch of receptions and 2 TDs his first game? Such a tease.

His only two games worth noting were against Buffalo. The bomb down the sideline for the score in 2012 was lucky anyways....still wasnt highpointing the ball back then.

• 2 weeks later...

Hill is gone and burned his bridges, so this is no longer particularly relevant, but...

Watching NFL network and they continually show the same few items in their bumpers.  Back to back are a picture of Hill catching the ball and getting decked by Polamalu and hanging on and Michael Irvin jumping up to body catch a pass when he is past the DB.  

As with Sanchez. not sure how RYan really impacts a player who may never put it all together. Rex Ryan is not making Hill drop passes. May be the ground and pound nonsense doens't help and since they pass so infrequently it magnifies the mistakes. But the guy cannot hang onto the ball no matter what.

In other words......he sucks.  Hill looks like a giraffe when he runs and when he tries to make a cut out of his fly pattern he looks like well... a giraffe.

Archived