Michael Irvin and Cris Carter assess Stephen Hill

T0mShane

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rex is a great defensive mind as well. GREAT. he played chess with manning and brady on the road in the playoffs and had to hold them to under 22 points to beat them with eric smith , brodney pool, and other scrubs in the secondary and bart scott in coverage.

the legitimate criticisms of rex are all on the HC side. loyal to a fault. lack of discipline. no accountability for QB to protect the ball. open mouth media policy. regrettable tatoo's

he went 8-8 with the worst starting QB in football.

just calling him a bafoon that gets no respect is ignorant

Rex's traits are all great if he wants to be a coordinator...him acting like that wears off fast as a HC. The position coaches and the coordinators are generally more characters than the HC.

Significantly better than 28/29 in PPG-their rank in 2012 and 2013.

If the preseason is any evidence the offense has looked reasonably good so far, albeit with a small sample size.  The defense has been looking porous, but if you're going to pick a unit to look bad at this point in time, you'd prefer it to be the defense.  I'd like to see how Geno does with Decker in there.  He went 10/13 against the Bengals but they were primarily safe throws.

Another calculated and reasoned response.  

Wilson and Coples are what they were when the came into the league.  Richardson and WIlkerson apparently did not improve either.  Milliner did improve?  WHY WASN'T HE GOOD FROM DAY 1?!?!?!  Davis, McIntyre, Antonio Allen, Devito, etc have all improved to differing levels.  Revis has been under 3 coaches and had, by far, his best seasons under Rex.  Danny Woodhead and James Ihedigbo comprise the entire of list of guys that left the Jets and did better elsewhere, offense AND defense, BUT WHY DOESN'T REX DEVELOP TALENT?

Yes, why doesn't he develop offensive talent t all? Why does the offense suck every season? Why is he babbling about guys like Wilson and Coples just as he did for Gholston?Good query. 

this place really needs a strong performance by the jets friday night

Outside of us scoring 42 points, all deep bombs by Geno.. and the D pitching a shutout.. there will still be whining like no other. I wonder how the Jaguar fan forums look. That must be a suicide watch 24/7.

what is the role of the position coach and co-ordinator in the modern NFL ? collect checks for nothing ?

This has what I been saying. Position coaches develop head coaches and coordinators develop and implement the strategy. But we want to blame

rex for not being able to show hill how to run the entire route tree.

This has what I been saying. Position coaches develop head coaches and coordinators develop and implement the strategy. But we want to blame

Keyshawn Johnson said he didnt learn anything his rookie year (he couldnt keep his feet in bounds on sideline passes in 96). he considered 1997 his rookie year. who was the recievers coach on the Jets in 97 again?

It's highly unlikely Hill was ever going to develop into anything. He's a guy who was just massively overdrafted based on the combine and the two previous GT WR's having similar speed/height. The majority of Hill's catches At GT were him standing wide open...and his youtube highlights only covered one terrible rap song. It's generally 7-8 or so.

Yes, why doesn't he develop offensive talent t all? Why does the offense suck every season? Why is he babbling about guys like Wilson and Coples just as he did for Gholston?Good query. 

I'm not really going out on a limb here to suggest that the offense has sucked every season primarily due to Mr Butt Fumble and Geno

Lal's comment, to me, means he also thinks Hill sucks and only an unexpected awakening, that Lal hasn't yet seen either, will keep Hill from being a bust. Lal may not be God's gift to WR coaches, but his reply was hardly a ringing endorsement. In his 3rd training camp it's "premature" to call him a bust yet?

Yikes.

Yes I trust Lal because of all that he got out of those WR's in Oak.

It's funny how Stephen Hill isn't getting it because of the environment here (Rex).  And yet Greg Salas, who has bounced around the league (St. Louis, New England, Philly), seems to be developing :winking0001: nicely in that same toxic environment.

Doesnt count somehow.  No player has ever seen success under Rex Ryan. Ever.

The moderators make it worse by encouraging beatdowns of any dissenting opinion. There used to be a lot of lively conversation here--we had fans of every team that used to come in and debate. But, now, that's gone. They're gone. I was gone for two years here and when I came back, everyone was gone. At first I thought it was because the JI dudes chased them out. But it's not. It's you dudes. You've turned this place into a Skip Bayless acid trip.

Do you really believe that? Is there another Jets site that allows this level of dissenting opinion?

My opinion is that the lively discussion has been thwarted because one side of that discussion is always, invariably "Rex sucks." It's boring to have that discussion every ******* day. I don't want to have it, and I'm surprised you want to have it. To what end? We can discuss Shephen Hill and his failings on their own. He's had two crap QBs, a garbage coordinator in his rookie year, and maybe he just was never a good prospect. And we could discuss alternatives. Is it Nelson? Does Salas step up? Can Enunwa surprise? That would be a nice discussion. But when the answer is Hill sucks because Rex, period, the lively discussion comes to a close.

And maybe you and everyone else who absolutely hates Rex is 100% right, and me and everyone who thinks Rex is a pretty good coach is 100% wrong. If so, we'll find out. But bludgeoning every thread now with the anti-Rex stuff does absolutely nothing to improve the level of discourse around here.

We do a pretty low level of moderation around here. We want this place to be friendly to all Jets fans, even the rare ones who actually like the team. New folks who introduce themselves here shouldn't be bombarded with reasons to hate all things Rex or Woody or Idzik the moment they pop in. We want to grow the site and the community so the lively discussion can grow, too.

Don't make me not love you, you lug.

Do you really believe that? Is there another Jets site that allows this level of dissenting opinion?

My opinion is that the lively discussion has been thwarted because one side of that discussion is always, invariably "Rex sucks." It's boring to have that discussion every ******* day. I don't want to have it, and I'm surprised you want to have it. To what end? We can discuss Shephen Hill and his failings on their own. He's had two crap QBs, a garbage coordinator in his rookie year, and maybe he just was never a good prospect. And we could discuss alternatives. Is it Nelson? Does Salas step up? Can Enunwa surprise? That would be a nice discussion. But when the answer is Hill sucks because Rex, period, the lively discussion comes to a close.

And maybe you and everyone else who absolutely hates Rex is 100% right, and me and everyone who thinks Rex is a pretty good coach is 100% wrong. If so, we'll find out. But bludgeoning every thread now with the anti-Rex stuff does absolutely nothing to improve the level of discourse around here.

We do a pretty low level of moderation around here. We want this place to be friendly to all Jets fans, even the rare ones who actually like the team. New folks who introduce themselves here shouldn't be bombarded with reasons to hate all things Rex or Woody or Idzik the moment they pop in. We want to grow the site and the community so the lively discussion can grow, too.

Couldn't have said it any better myself.  Faulting the mods for the agenda driven hate on this board lately is way off base IMO.  Keep up the great work guys.

You guys do a great job here.

If T0m wants to see what bad message board moderation is, he should visit that other Jets site.

Doesnt count somehow.  No player has ever seen success under Rex Ryan. Ever.

Now you get it...every player to play well under Rex was already that good...the bad ones were All-Pro's until he got his his hands on them.

It has been so long since the jets hit a major homerun with an offensive draft pick. i honestly think the last "hit" was keyshawn 18 years ago--and you would expect a hit with the #1 overall pick in the draft. chrebet was undrafted but i suppose you have to consider him a "hit" as well. anyone who has made a significant impact on the offensive side of the ball in the last 20 years other than those 2 was brought in as a FA. it's depressing a little

edit: apologies meant skill positions

It has been so long since the jets hit a major homerun with an offensive draft pick. i honestly think the last "hit" was keyshawn 18 years ago--and you would expect a hit with the #1 overall pick in the draft. chrebet was undrafted but i suppose you have to consider him a "hit" as well. anyone who has made a significant impact on the offensive side of the ball in the last 20 years other than those 2 was brought in as a FA. it's depressing a little

That's why I liked what they did in this draft.  They knew WR was a need, they had a ton of picks, so take three of 'em.  It may turn out that none of 'em are any good, and it may be a mixed bag of anywere from great to terrible.  We'll know in a few years, but we know now that they're making an effort to change that trend.

That's why I liked what they did in this draft.  They knew WR was a need, they had a ton of picks, so take three of 'em.  It may turn out that none of 'em are any good, and it may be a mixed bag of anywere from great to terrible.  We'll know in a few years, but we know now that they're making an effort to change that trend.

a lot of it relates to the qb wasteland of the franchise, of course. maybe they should draft 3 QBs next year lol

I would add Laveranues Coles in there. But I agree we have had a lousy track record with offensive draft picks.

a lot of it relates to the qb wasteland of the franchise, of course. maybe they should draft 3 QBs next year lol

Funny enough, I started a thread saying that before the draft.  Take one early, one middle, one late.  Gotta' have one to win and if you look around the league you see how difficult it really is to find an elite guy.  I say draft a few and increase the odds.

We can never not love each other.

Because the mods are active posters, and because the mods have the same opinions (generally) it emboldens those of similar opinion (and less interest in honest debate) to go apesh*t on anyone of dissenting opinion. It's your fault(s) because you'll inadvertently foment a gang-beating of someone whose opinions don't agree with your own. To whit, I made a rather innocuous post recently about Calvin Pryor having a concussion and what that might mean for his future moving forward given his style of play. For this, I was attacked by the usual suspects, as though I had personally given Pryor the concussion. You know who was involved in that attack? Maxman. After the usual suspects got done calling me a "troll," they went on to talk about Calvin Pryor's concussion and what that might mean for his future given his style of play. It's not the post itself that brings the board down--it's the 15 halfwits who scan the board looking to scream at anyone saying anything they perceive to be anti-Jets. The end result is that those who want to actually talk about Jets issues go back to Twitter and you're left with amped-up actual trolls who seek out confrontation from the above-mentioned halfwits. As mods--and I say this as a former mod--you shouldn't look to control the content, but you should look to preserve the right to reasoned speech whether you agree with it or not. Just my two cents.

Archived