Roster Building: Jets roster 2014 vs. 2012

Jetsfan80

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does it bother you at all that there has not been one positive report about one rookie out of TC other than Pryor? Or we just ignore that?

It would bother me more if it were August 2015 rather than August 2014.  Not to mention McDougle was getting glowing reviews before tearing his ACL.

I watched 5 mins of the Giants first preseason game and I saw 2 rookies who looked better than any jet. Same goes for a bunch of teams. None of them are standing out at all and if that doesn't bother you you're fooling yourself. Especially since most of these picks were terrible reaches. The 3 WR's alone should be friable for whoever made those picks. 

I watched 5 mins of the Giants first preseason game and I saw 2 rookies who looked better than any jet. Same goes for a bunch of teams. None of them are standing out at all and if that doesn't bother you you're fooling yourself. Especially since most of these pics were terrible reaches. The 3 WR's alone should be friable for whoever made those picks. 

http://nypost.com/2014/08/19/odell-beckham-hamstring-saga-at-near-farce-level/

Odell Beckham was their first round pick, # 12 overall.  Yet this article talks about how the Giants have "No clue" how he'll turn out.  Perhaps because they recognize these guys are mere months into their careers and it takes time to properly evaluate a young player. 

http://nypost.com/2014/08/19/odell-beckham-hamstring-saga-at-near-farce-level/

Odell Beckham was their first round pick, # 12 overall.  Yet this article talks about how the Giants have "No clue" how he'll turn out.  Perhaps because they recognize these guys are mere months into their careers and it takes time to properly evaluate a young player. 

I'm not even talking about Beckham. He hasn't played yet. 

Exactly.  And the rest of these rookies you're talking about have had at most 2-3 quarters of experience TOTAL of NFL-level play.  Bit too early to be running around making judgments, but carry on.

I watched 5 mins of the Giants first preseason game and I saw 2 rookies who looked better than any jet. Same goes for a bunch of teams. None of them are standing out at all and if that doesn't bother you you're fooling yourself. Especially since most of these picks were terrible reaches. The 3 WR's alone should be friable for whoever made those picks. 

FRY HIM! FRY HIM!

We as fans put more pressure on our rookies to play at least decently out of the gate because the roster desperately needs it. We know what Stephen Hill is. We know what Kyle Wilson is...when we hear the younger guys and rookies can't beat these guys out of course it's concerning.

We all wanted Winters to play over Vlad and then when we finally played him, we realized he sucks too.

I don't think Idzik himself would say Dimitri Patterson is the "Best he could do".  He was signed to a 1-year $3M deal.  He's the cheap option.  Of course he wasn't the best out there.  The problem you're having is recognizing that that is not a terrible decision when your goal is be a perennial contender.  If you don't like the players on the market, you don't hand an expensive 5-year deal to one just to do it. 

Every team uses stopgaps and this was a clear example of one.  Contrary to popular opinion, Idzik isn't simply mailing in the 2014 season by signing a stopgap CB.  He does want to win now.  But not at the expense of the future.  Last year was about clearing bad contracts and starting fresh.  This year is about development.  It's a process.  Enjoy it.

and where is the talent going to come from?    as the salary cap continues to increase (dramatically once the new TV $ hits) the trend will be less FA movement.  

with 12 picks heading into the April draft I expected a lot more than we got.   I don't think there was a poster on this board that considered heading into the regular season w/o adding a single wr to the rotation.    

and where is the talent going to come from?    as the salary cap continues to increase (dramatically once the new TV $ hits) the trend will be less FA movement.  

with 12 picks heading into the April draft I expected a lot more than we got.   I don't think there was a poster on this board that considered heading into the regular season w/o adding a single wr to the rotation.    

We signed the best WR on the market.  And Idzik recognized that teams are built via the draft with some FA's sprinkled in.  Which is probably why he used all 12 of his draft picks and limited his FA spending.

We signed the best WR on the market.  And Idzik recognized that teams are built via the draft with some FA's sprinkled in.  Which is probably why he used all 12 of his draft picks and limited his FA spending.

Those things have nothing to do with each other unless you're a fool (which Idzik is). 

it's ok to agree with the strategy and disagree on the tactics.   Yes the Jets needed to rebuild, I'm just not a believer in the high volume low ceiling approach - it actually reminds me a lot of Mangini.  

The jets could have signed any number of CB's this off-season and chose not to.   they could have had revis but chose not to b/c of personal issues.   ok, no problem just don't trot old dimitri patterson out there and tell me he's the best you could do.  

I see Evans, Enunwa, and Sanders.  Personally I would have preferred Jordan Mathews.   I see yet another 1st rd DB and yet the secondary is the weakest part of the team.   

Let's let this season play out and have the same discussion.   it's easy to nitpick right now since there really isn't much else going on.   

Ummm... yeah, seeing how these guys play in the first couple of seasons of their career seems fair. Glad you thought of it.

shaking_head_breaking_bad.gif

The mystery surrounding Saunders and Evans is definitely what's adding to the frustration. These were two guys we needed to play this year considering how weak we were at the wr position. Amaro seemingly having his head up his rear isn't encouraging either

McDougle we knew was injury prone but he gets a pass at least.

This was an exceedingly deep WR draft, the Jets drafted 3 WR's and they won't get anything out of any of them. That's a travesty. 

So Jets rookie WRs haven't played = won't ever get anything out of them. Travesty.

Giants rookie WR hasn't played = not talking about it.

Clown.

The mystery surrounding Saunders and Evans is definitely what's adding to the frustration. These were two guys we needed to play this year considering how weak we were at the wr position. Amaro seemingly having his head up his rear isn't encouraging either

This entire post is ludicrous. I just pee'd a little laughing at how ludicrous it is. Did I mention it's ludicrous?

Don't forget Enunwa. Another dud who might not even make the roster. 

Don't forget Enunwa. Another dud who might not even make the roster. 

Idzik should have used all 12 of his draft picks on first rounders, but only the ones that are guaranteed to be the next Jimmy Graham in their rookie years. I don't know why he didn't. 

These discussions where people argue for and against Idzik, good lord; it's like when you would play four player Goldeneye with License to Kill mode enabled.

It's like watching the guy who didn't have an N64 at home wander into his own proximity mines again and again.

Out of 12 picks, none of them other than Pryor has shown any signs of being a good player. Thats the bottom line.

The Louisiana Tech kid has flashed, but yes other than that I'm pretty worried we struck out here entirely.

The Evans and Saunders subplots are just bizarre.

Archived