What I want to see on Friday night...

Maxman

Right.

Are we really supposed to believe that if only Dimitri Patterson or Dexter McDougle didn't get hurt, then CB wouldn't be a concern? Come on.

Your complaint was that Antonio Allen was being tried out and Walls is starting opposite him. If we'd spent $25M on 3 other corners this offseason, and they also got injured, the team's secondary would presently be in the same position, no?

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Your complaint was that Antonio Allen was being tried out and Walls is starting opposite him. If we'd spent $25M on 3 other corners this offseason, and they also got injured, the team's secondary would presently be in the same position, no?

IwK5sDa.gif

Sure, but at least we would have given it a shot. Better than punting any day.

Plus, maybe some of those guys wouldn't have had lengthy injury histories.

I.E., I'm not going to blame Idzik if Ferguson goes down and we suck at LT. But you bring in guys like McDougle, Patterson, and even Milliner and you should expect injuries.

Wide receiver is a position that exists too, you know. Similar problem there. Idzik built this team as if passing is not a thing in the NFL.

He said our top 3 wouldn't start on any other team.

Eric Decker did start for his previous team. You're wrong.

Kerley would absolutely start on most teams. You're wrong some more.

IwK5sDa.gif

I guess.

Revis and Cromartie have both sustained ACL injuries. The indestructible Curtis Martin had not one but two simultaneous high ankle sprains. (That he played through it is a testament to his pain threshold and will, but really he had no business being on the field).

It's a rough sport. The occurrence of serious injuries like those aren't necessarily related to nagging ones that guys can play through. 

The only injured one for whom the complaints are justified is Patterson. He's not out for the season but it's the same type of nagging injuries that have kept him out of games (or in games but less effective) for years.  If McDougle was out because his shoulder still isn't right, or Milliner was out because his labrum never healed properly, plus a stubbed finger type of ailment, that would be different.

Sure, but at least we would have given it a shot. Better than punting any day.

Plus, maybe some of those guys wouldn't have had lengthy injury histories.

I.E., I'm not going to blame Idzik if Ferguson goes down and we suck at LT. But you bring in guys like McDougle, Patterson, and even Milliner and you should expect injuries.

You should never expect a high ankle sprain or an ACL injury except if it's someone who's sustained that injury in the past. And even then it shouldn't be expected so much as less shocking.

Both of the (at least by mid-season) projected starters' most serious injuries in the past were to their shoulders. They have no relation to an ankle and ACL unless you can show that those injuries are typically sustained to players that have also sustained minor injuries elsewhere or a broken scapula. It's terrible luck.

Patterson is not terrible luck. He's had minor injuries his whole career and that is continuing. Sometimes you get lucky, like we did with Landry for that one season. The guy was never healthy for 16 games after his first 2 seasons ended. But he was with us. However unlikely, it's also still possible Patterson similarly stays healthy for 16 games. Regular season games. 

Either way, this isn't what would keep the Jets out of a superbowl and I sense you know it. If Geno steps up big time and we're losing games 31-27, I'll invite you over to sharpen my pitchfork. 

1) Calvin Pryor running with the 1s. Allen Landry Pryor 3 safety sets

2) what other WRs besides decker and Kerley step up to make the team

3) everyone stay healthy

Really could care less what geno shows. Doesn't matter at all really. It's his job. I don't really want them to show actual good plays what so ever.

And the CBs are all being tried out. So could care less about saying we suck at that spot. Just hoping someone like Dixon or Walls or someone stands up as well.

All the preseason is good for is getting a look at the rookies and fringe roster spots.

1) Calvin Pryor running with the 1s. Allen Landry Pryor 3 safety sets

2) what other WRs besides decker and Kerley step up to make the team

3) everyone stay healthy

Really could care less what geno shows. Doesn't matter at all really. It's his job. I don't really want them to show actual good plays what so ever.

And the CBs are all being tried out. So could care less about saying we suck at that spot. Just hoping someone like Dixon or Walls or someone stands up as well.

All the preseason is good for is getting a look at the rookies and fringe roster spots.

Well said.

Just once hoping a stud pro bowler comes out of no where on this roster. All we got is nice stories like Damon Harrison and Austin Howard. Hoping for a WR or DB or LB just to emerge. Maybe Hakim at WR or Ike at LB or Dixon at CB. Just one time find a playmaker when no one expects it.

- Opposing first team offenses have completed all but ONE pass against the defensive ""genius"" first team.

- Eli has only completed ONE pass for 6 yards this preseason.

I know Wrex is slumming it with only 2 first round draft picks in the secondary but I'd like to see some discipline and them to actually stop an opposing QB rather than the free rein they have had so far.

I think there's already plenty separation between Geno and Boyd. If Geno was every bit as bad as last year there's still a great deal of separation between him and Boyd.  Boyd hasn't even looked good against 3rd string guys, in games or in practice. I can't see how he's even earned a spot on a 90-man roster beyond being drafted <4 months ago. Smith has looked better, but it's all just preseason nothingness. No one's really gameplanning against him. Opposing coaches, like Jets coaches, are just trying things out vs people who don't attend their own team practices. If it fails, address why if it's simple or don't if there's too much wrong. But it's a get out of jail free in decision-making for everyone.

I'm not terribly worried about Johnson. I've seen the guy play - both the good gamebreaking stuff and the bad dancing around stuff where he forgoes some sure yardage. My desire is to see both him, and Powell, exit the game without injury. Really not expecting to see anything new or enlightening about either one in a preseason game.

The corners do suck. But again, while I do think Ryan realizes none of his healthy guys are Revis-lite, I would want him to see how bad they are in his preferred scheming. He surely knows how to put them into zone coverage, though it's clearly not his first love. At the same time, I may prefer he use this time to practice zone coverage with these new guys against live action, even if the initial returns are far less than outstanding. Might make Pryor & others more effective. I don't know.

Pass rush I'm less concerned about strictly because it is a preseason game. It would be nice to see 5 sacks, but I don't think that would continue all season long because of tonight. Nor do I think the team will end the season with 12 sacks if the starters don't get any either.

Agree 100% on Amaro & Sudfeld. Would take a lot of pressure off whoever ends up as the starting WR2, or the guy who eventually replaces the opening-day starter down the road. I'm sort of hoping for it to be Salas. I think Enunwa is too much of a wish, as he isn't ready to start even if he shows he's worthy of a roster spot. Salas could be, because of recent praise and I haven't seen enough of him to SMH at the idea yet. Guys do come out of nowhere with huge improvements each year, at various positions. I don't think much of Decker, Hill, Gates, or Ford right now, no matter how much I wish a superman light would go on for any of them.

I was mostly joking on the Boyd thing. Geno still hasn't shown me anything yet this year. Unless you count him and the starters vs the Bengals 2nd stringers. I agree things are vanilla - but I'd like to see some nice throws against 1's from him.

I agree. Getting both Johnson and Powell out of this game healthy is big time important.

I'm actually not that concerned about Allen as much as I am Millner and coming back to 100% this season with that injury. I agree that more zone makes sense - but I'm concerned that our pass rush isn't good enough to pull that off. I believe that the secondary will play better once the pressure gets better maybe?  No exotic blitzes from the 1's this pre season. Probably on purpose.

Yeah we both agree on this. We still need one more WR to atleast be above average though. I think Decker and Kerley are the only two. Maybe Salas?

- Opposing first team offenses have completed all but ONE pass against the defensive ""genius"" first team.

- Eli has only completed ONE pass for 6 yards this preseason.

I know Wrex is slumming it with only 2 first round draft picks in the secondary but I'd like to see some discipline and them to actually stop an opposing QB rather than the free rein they have had so far.

Ya ur wrong eli in the hall of fame game was 6/7. so i dont see how he has only 1 completion this preseason

Um, what do you expect him to do when the GM gives him Darrin Walls and Antonio Allen as starters at corner? Rex is brilliant, but he's not a miracle worker.

I was mostly joking on the Boyd thing. Geno still hasn't shown me anything yet this year. Unless you count him and the starters vs the Bengals 2nd stringers. I agree things are vanilla - but I'd like to see some nice throws against 1's from him.

I agree. Getting both Johnson and Powell out of this game healthy is big time important.

I'm actually not that concerned about Allen as much as I am Millner and coming back to 100% this season with that injury. I agree that more zone makes sense - but I'm concerned that our pass rush isn't good enough to pull that off. I believe that the secondary will play better once the pressure gets better maybe?  No exotic blitzes from the 1's this pre season. Probably on purpose.

Yeah we both agree on this. We still need one more WR to atleast be above average though. I think Decker and Kerley are the only two. Maybe Salas?

I think it was worth the try, even if it's likely an uphill battle and likely to fail. Better to try in preseason than in an actual game that counts. 

I'm crossing my fingers with Salas, but really I don't have a preference who it is. At least it's a better group to choose from than Stuckey, Clowney, and Brad Smith. And if Kerley is on the field all the time I don't really care if the #2 outside guy gets more yards instead of the slot guy. Really, it's just about having multiple places for the ball to go so Geno isn't stuck holding the hot potato.  I don't want to get into a team to team comparison right now, but Seattle didn't have any "true #1" type, and it was a lot of also-ran meh guys. No one on the team stuck out as oh so anything. As long as one of them gets open, that really should be enough. Like a lot of teams are doing (or are moving towards), like Seattle, SF, Cincy, Pittsburgh, and others, we're going to run it a lot anyway.

Geno does need to take major strides this year. I think he'll be better than you do, but I'm in no way convinced of anything until I see him in some regular season action.  Good players put up bad (or zero) numbers in pre-season and vice versa every year.  So I'll be much more critical or praiseworthy when they count.

Milliner is a concern. It's a good sign that he was already walking around without a boot, without wincing in pain, days ago. I'm not an expert on the injury, but I have to think that (like anything) there are high ankle sprains and there are high ankle sprains. If it's really bad, then yeah he could be 2013 Cromartie Part II for the first half of the season as playing retards the healing process. Hopefully it's not too bad. Would certainly help if Patterson could get his act together in time for that first month at least. Or if one of the young nobodies steps up to the plate. That Allen is still starting again, to me, suggests that isn't happening. Really was hoping the Iowa St. lightning-fast midget with the nearly 4-foot ups showed something, but I've hardly heard his name mentioned all summer.

I think it was worth the try, even if it's likely an uphill battle and likely to fail. Better to try in preseason than in an actual game that counts. 

I'm crossing my fingers with Salas, but really I don't have a preference who it is. At least it's a better group to choose from than Stuckey, Clowney, and Brad Smith. And if Kerley is on the field all the time I don't really care if the #2 outside guy gets more yards instead of the slot guy. Really, it's just about having multiple places for the ball to go so Geno isn't stuck holding the hot potato.  I don't want to get into a team to team comparison right now, but Seattle didn't have any "true #1" type, and it was a lot of also-ran meh guys. No one on the team stuck out as oh so anything. As long as one of them gets open, that really should be enough. Like a lot of teams are doing (or are moving towards), like Seattle, SF, Cincy, Pittsburgh, and others, we're going to run it a lot anyway.

Geno does need to take major strides this year. I think he'll be better than you do, but I'm in no way convinced of anything until I see him in some regular season action.  Good players put up bad (or zero) numbers in pre-season and vice versa every year.  So I'll be much more critical or praiseworthy when they count.

Milliner is a concern. It's a good sign that he was already walking around without a boot, without wincing in pain, days ago. I'm not an expert on the injury, but I have to think that (like anything) there are high ankle sprains and there are high ankle sprains. If it's really bad, then yeah he could be 2013 Cromartie Part II for the first half of the season as playing retards the healing process. Hopefully it's not too bad. Would certainly help if Patterson could get his act together in time for that first month at least. Or if one of the young nobodies steps up to the plate. That Allen is still starting again, to me, suggests that isn't happening. Really was hoping the Iowa St. lightning-fast midget with the nearly 4-foot ups showed something, but I've hardly heard his name mentioned all summer.

They mentioned him getting blown up by Saunders. 

I'd like to see Walls look solid. Thought he was solid last year and showed some #2 corner potential - not like you truly need a stud there particularly with what looks like it may be excellent safety play in the future - would be nice if he can just step into that role.

And Enunwa has so much upside, he's flashed some in practice supposedly but I'd love to see him do it in preseason and force his way onto the roster with a crowded but not all that talented WR unit.

Not in order of importance but here are a few things I want to see:

• Geno Smith lead the Jets to a 1st drive touchdown in the air. #1 offense vs #1 defense on the field.
  • I want to see Chris Johnson talk about how healthy he feels after the game is over.
  • Something from the secondary that makes me feel like it will be okay.
  • Jace Amaro - want him to convince me that he is capable of big numbers in this league.

Is that too much to ask for on Friday night?

What do you want to see?

so max, did you see what you wanted?

Archived