Idzik Could Use A Little Help From His Friends

JetNation

With the news of Jets safety turned cornerback Antonio Allen suffering a concussion in last night’s “snoopy bowl” against the Giants, it’s time for John Idzik to finally make another move at the CB position.  Idzik’s off-season approach to the position has been debated extensively by fans and media alike.  He chose to take a gamble on oft-injured Dolphins free agent Dimitri Patterson and to use two of his twelve draft picks to address the position. Thus far, Patterson hasn’t been healthy enough to see game action since the pre-season opener and of his two draft picks, Dexter McDougle is on Injured Reserve with a torn ACL, and Brandon Dixon isn’t expected to be ready this early.

Making a trade for a quality CB at this point in the pre-season won’t be an easy chore.  Teams are rarely willing to part with a player who isn’t at the bottom of their depth chart with the start of the season just around the corner.  If Idzik is going to find a team willing to deal a CB who can be counted on to contribute, it’s going to have to come from a team with plenty of depth at the position.  Despite losing one of their starters (Brandon Browner) in the off-season, it just so happens that one team with quality depth at the CB position is none other than Idzik’s former employers, the Seattle Seahawks. Being familiar with the personnel on the field and in the front-office combined with the Jets desperate situation, a  phone call from Idzik to the Seahawks should be a foregone conclusion.

Seattle boasts one of the top cover corners in the NFL in Richard Sherman with 6th round pick Byron Maxwell slated to start on the opposite side.  If Idzik were to approach Seattle about a deal, one would expect him to target their third or fourth CB’s, Tharold Simon or Jeremy Lane.  Both Simon and Lane are late round picks, having been taken in the 5th and 6th rounds respectively, but the Seahawks have shown the propensity for finding late round starters at the CB position as evidenced by Sherman being selected in the fifth round and the sixth-rounder, Maxwell.

As of this moment, the Jets CB Depth chart is filled with players with little to no experience at the pro-level. Those who have played extensively haven’t played well enough to prevent the Jets from trying to supplant them with Antonio Allen who isn’t only the Jets current safety, but a safety converted from college linebacker.  That alone tells you just how much confidence they have in the likes of Kyle Wilson, Ellis Lankster, and Darrin Walls the recently signed LeQuan Lewis.

While it’s entirely possible that Idzik plans to save his draft picks and sign a camp casualty in the coming days and weeks as players shake loose from other teams’ rosters, Jets fans will rest much easier if he were to make a move to acquire a player who is considered worth of an NFL roster spot. What better way to do that than to get a player from the defending champs.  John Idzik should know the Seahawks as well as any executive not employed by the organization, so it’s time for Idzik seek out a little help from his friends.

http://feeds.feedburner.com/~ff/Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA</img> http://feeds.feedburner.com/~ff/Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs</img>http://feeds.feedburner.com/~r/Jetnationcom/~4/ccN8GxPiXuQ

View the full article

You'd think so, wouldn't you?

Yes, I would.  The only reason I could understand him not making a move, is if they feel Patterson could have played last night but kept him out as a precaution, and they expect Milliner to be 100% by week two.  With a high ankle sprain it's unlikely he'll be 100% by then and with Allen concussed, I'd like to see them make a move.  In all honesty, even if they're both 100%, the secondary can use the insurance/upgrade.  My expectation is that he'll add a camp casualty, but I'd like to see him go get somebody.

Idzik is going to wait until someone gets cut and pick him up for cheap as a stopgap.

I'm assuming that's the plan, anyway.

Agreed...I'd love to see him give up a pick for a promising young corner if one could be had, but most likely route is Idzik grabbing somebody who gets dumped from another team.

Idzik is going to wait until someone gets cut and pick him up for cheap as a stopgap.

That is my assumption as well -- I do not think he will give anything up in a trade unless no serviceable DB's are available from cuts.

we play the Oakland raiders week one and Antonio allen should be ok to play for that game. I'd expect milliner will be ok or close to ok for week 2. we might not have to lose any draft picks to make this work. idzik will be here longer than just this season, this is not a situation where he will trade any decent draft picks for a player who isn't worth it out of desperation.

There are still some players in free agency that are worthy of kicking the tires:

-Asante Samuel

-Chris Houston

-Dunta Robinson

-Jabari Greer

-Quentin Jammer

Yes, they're all older end-of-the-line veterans, but at this point if no real contributors are available after cuts it becomes a real scenario as a stopgap player. I think a few of them still have the potential to play at a high level as well.

Jets reach out to 4-time Pro Bowl CB Asante Samuel after Milliner suffers high ankle sprain & McDougle tears ACL #nyj http://nydn.us/1onyESM 

Apparently we reached out to Samuel less than a couple of weeks ago, but no progress was made... Maybe Idzik is waiting to see if any valuable players are cut, but I'd keep my eye on Samuel and some of the other names mentioned above.

If Idzik doesn't want to sign an older vet he could trade for some younger players on the rise such as:

-Davon House

-Cortez Allen

-Josh Norman

-Kayvon Webster

-Mike Harris

They're all players with a high ceiling, on the rise. They would come relatively cheap too in terms of draft picks, or if we're lucky we could unload a depth player to grab one of them like a Stephen Hill or Kenrick Ellis.

we play the Oakland raiders week one and Antonio allen should be ok to play for that game. I'd expect milliner will be ok or close to ok for week 2. we might not have to lose any draft picks to make this work. idzik will be here longer than just this season, this is not a situation where he will trade any decent draft picks for a player who isn't worth it out of desperation.

Desperation being the key word.  Teams will know we are desperate and that won't fair well for trade value.  Let's see how this plays out. 

I'd be pretty surprised if he pulled off a trade. They have depth on the DL where they could move a guy who could start for another team, and hopefully get a CB who could start for the Jets in return. But like I said, I'd be surprised.

I'm cranky about the CB position, still. Milliner, Patterson, and McDougle all have multiple injury histories, it's not all that shocking that they're all hurt.

I'd be pretty surprised if he pulled off a trade. They have depth on the DL where they could move a guy who could start for another team, and hopefully get a CB who could start for the Jets in return. But like I said, I'd be surprised.

I'm cranky about the CB position, still. Milliner, Patterson, and McDougle all have multiple injury histories, it's not all that shocking that they're all hurt.

depends. I'm not for trading assets in a season that isn't a "win now" season for anyone but Rex. that said, if they're getting someone young with a lot of upside and little risk, I'd pull the trigger.

depends. I'm not for trading assets in a season that isn't a "win now" season for anyone but Rex. that said, if they're getting someone young with a lot of upside and little risk, I'd pull the trigger.

No one is giving you a young, high-upside corner for cheap. Tharold Simon has been a star of Seahawks camp all summer and it'd cost you a 2nd rounder at minimum for him.

Also, Pete Carroll is to the secondary what Rex is to the DL.

No one is giving you a young, high-upside corner for cheap. Tharold Simon has been a star of Seahawks camp all summer and it'd cost you a 2nd rounder at minimum for him.

Also, Pete Carroll is to the secondary what Rex is to the DL.

I didn't say "for cheap" I just said I'd do it.

Also, not to sh*t on the premise of the article, but if Idzik wanted a Seattle corner, he could have easily gotten Walter Thurmond in free agency.

Also, not to sh*t on the premise of your post, I was a headhunter for years and the candidate doesn't always do what you think, want or expect. Sometimes they make their own decision and there isn't sh*t you can do about it, and yes that includes when the $ offer is 10% higher than all the other offers.

this idea that all free agents can be had is silly and ignorant.

Also, not to sh*t on the premise of your post, I was a headhunter for years and the candidate doesn't always do what you think, want or expect. Sometimes they make their own decision and there isn't sh*t you can do about it, and yes that includes when the $ offer is 10% higher than all the other offers.

this idea that all free agents can be had is silly and ignorant.

oh you were a headhunter ok then

Also, not to sh*t on the premise of your post, I was a headhunter for years and the candidate doesn't always do what you think, want or expect.

Judging by Idzik's inability to grab any of the 10 solid veteran corners in free agency despite the fact that he's swimming in money, it's fair to say in his case that the candidate almost never does what he thinks, wants or expects.

oh you were a headhunter ok then

yes.  recruited some people with packages exceeding $400k who could work anywhere in the country.  some were greedy, some were lazy, most were liars.  kinda like NFL players.  There were many times I made an offer thinking it was a slam dunk just to realize I was used as a stalking horse.  Other times an interview I thought was a huge longshot came together easily and the candidate left money on the table.  Candidates make decisions based on a lot of factors, and at the end of the day they usually wind up going where they wanted to go all along

Judging by Idzik's inability to grab any of the 10 solid veteran corners in free agency despite the fact that he's swimming in money, it's fair to say in his case that the candidate almost never does what he thinks, wants or expects.

incorrect.  What I took away from it is Idzik's valuation on the market was out of line with the top end candidates.  He doesn't value the CB position that highly.  I disagree with him on this.  I think it is becoming the 2nd most valuable position on a team if you look at the rules and how hard it is to play and how scarce the supply is.

He's not much of a closer.  tanny could sell ice to an eskimo.  Tanny sold favre on how great the hunting is in NJ. 

I just hope when he gets to the prestige, it's worth it

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that Idzik should go at and get a Seattle CB just for the sake of having a Seattle CB.  I was simply saying that Allen's situation makes things a bit more urgent, and to get a quality CB they'll have to get on the phone with a team that has multiple quality CBs.  Seattle fits that description, and he's familiar with them.  And even if you did want to sh*t on the premise, go right ahead...I can take it : o )

He is a zone cover guy. Doesn't fit what Rex does. And he is old as dirt. Idzik is praying Johnathan Joseph gets released.

You know who else doesn't fit with what Rex does? Young cornerbacks that can't cover. The Jets have a lot of them. :)

I just thought they would take a million dollar chance on Samuel. He obviously isn't the ideal solution. Otherwise he wouldn't have been on his couch. But he would pick off some passes in addition to getting burned. Beats the guys who just get burned all the time.

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that Idzik should go at and get a Seattle CB just for the sake of having a Seattle CB. I was simply saying that Allen's situation makes things a bit more urgent, and to get a quality CB they'll have to get on the phone with a team that has multiple quality CBs. Seattle fits that description, and he's familiar with them. And even if you did want to sh*t on the premise, go right ahead...I can take it : o )

I enjoy your writing and perspectives. I wouldn't sh*t on them.

Archived