Dimitri Patterson went AWOL.

T0mShane

The New York Daily News reports suspended Jets CB Dimitri Patterson's decision to skip Friday's preseason game was prompted by frustration with the team's "cornerback pecking order."

Lol.

any quotes from named sources ?

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's going to be hilarious when he does get cut, and then a handful a posters start complaining about how he wasn't cut fast enough. I am particularly looking forward to the 5,000 word responses where Sperm researches how fast people who have caused problems have gotten suspended and then cut over the past 10 years.

All the wags.

Unreal. So how much money is he stealing from us when he gets cut? That whole 3.5 million wasn't guaranteed, was it?

Apparently 1 mil is fully guaranteed according to Over the Cap.

Jets.gif Dimitri Patterson CB
College: Tuskegee     Accrued Seasons: 7
League Entry: 2005 Undrafted Free Agent (Redskins)
CB Dimitri Patterson signed a one year contract worth $3 million with the New York Jets on April 1, 2014. Patterson received a $1 million signing bonus which is also the guaranteed portion of the contract. He can earn up to $500,000 in gameday active roster bonuses. Patterson played in 6 games last year according to NFL.com, so our bonus charge is based on that number. The base salary of the contract is $1,500,000.
Contract Details
Total Value: $3,000,000 (avg. $3,000,000/year; $1,000,000 fully guaranteed)
42nd highest of 287 CB contracts
Year Base Salary(Guaranteed) Bonuses Cap

Number  

Dead Money & Cap Savings
Cut (pre-June 1)Cut (post-June 1)Trade 
Prorated Roster Workout Other 2014 $1,500,000 $1,000,000 $187,500 $0 $0 $2,687,500   $1,000,000 $1,687,500

Apparently 1 mil is fully guaranteed according to Over the Cap.

I would think they could recoup a portion of that since he went AWOL and missed a game

Jets.gif Dimitri Patterson CB

College: Tuskegee Accrued Seasons: 7

League Entry: 2005 Undrafted Free Agent (Redskins)

CB Dimitri Patterson signed a one year contract worth $3 million with the New York Jets on April 1, 2014. Patterson received a $1 million signing bonus which is also the guaranteed portion of the contract. He can earn up to $500,000 in gameday active roster bonuses. Patterson played in 6 games last year according to NFL.com, so our bonus charge is based on that number. The base salary of the contract is $1,500,000.

Contract Details

Total Value: $3,000,000 (avg. $3,000,000/year; $1,000,000 fully guaranteed)

42nd highest of 287 CB contractsYear Base Salary(Guaranteed) Bonuses Cap

Number

Dead Money & Cap Savings

Cut (pre-June 1)Cut (post-June 1)Trade Prorated Roster Workout Other 2014 $1,500,000 $1,000,000 $187,500 $0 $0 $2,687,500 $1,000,000 $1,687,500

He can actually get his guaranteed money after a stunt like this?

I doubt it.  I think some guarantees are injury, some are skill/injury I highly doubt there is a "everything including sh*t I do myself" guarantee

interesting tidbits from overthecap.com

the jets only have 3 players with a cap number over $7 million.  brick, mangold, harris

nick bellore's cap number is higher than geno smiths

dimitri patterson was going to be the 9th highest cap number on the team

mangold is the only player with a bonus listed as "other"  I would love to know what it is, lol

there is $13 million in dead money for this year, almost none for next year, but brick and mangolds cap numbers ballon up to over $10 million each

Sounds like he already got it in the way of a signing bonus, Jets would have to fight him for it back.

Wouldn't skipping out on practice and a game be a breach of his contract? I would imagine teams include such terms to protect themselves from situations like this.

90% of life is showing up is it not

Showing up plus not throwing temper tantrums and hissy fits when things do not go your way.  Good reason to cut this POS now.  It seems like we just got the locker room straightened out and do not need a me-first, divisive player -- let alone one that cannot play well even on the rare occasions when he isn't a scratch due to injuries.

Showing up plus not throwing temper tantrums and hissy fits when things do not go your way.  Good reason to cut this POS now.  It seems like we just got the locker room straightened out and do not need a me-first, divisive player -- let alone one that cannot play well even on the rare occasions when he isn't a scratch due to injuries.

Yeah heard CImini on the way in this morning...I guess he spoke to a few folks who knew Patterson and I guess he had a reputation of being a bit of a diva throughout his career. Makes sense considering how many teams he's been on. I mean this guy hits a ton why hasn't anyone picked him up?

I wouldn't run with the mehta tweet just yet

Patterson texted ESPN's Josina Anderson on Monday, writing, "Yes, I'm ok and I'm not going AWOL either. Comical."

There are many theories swirling around the team, including the notion that he's unhappy with his role. Some find that hard to believe, considering he has played mostly with the starting unit, when healthy.

Ryan sidestepped all questions about Patterson, except to say, "It's a serious situation." The coach wouldn't divulge anything about his meeting with the player, saying those conversations are private. Ryan said he's never had a player go AWOL for a game.

Patterson was a no-show for Friday night's game at MetLife Stadium even though he attended meetings, a walk-through and a pregame meal. Ryan said he was hoping to use him in the game, depending on how he looked in the pre-game warmups. Patterson has missed significant practice time due to leg injuries, but had shown improvement in recent days, according to the team.

The Jets tried frantically to track him down, but he didn't return messages. It wasn't until Saturday that they confirmed, through his agent, that he was safe. But Idzik and Ryan never spoke to Patterson directly until Sunday night. He didn't show for Sunday's practice.

Guard Willie Colon, one of the team leaders, said Patterson will have to explain himself if and when he rejoins the team.

"I think there's a level of accountability," Colon said. "I think if he's able to stand up in front of the team and say, 'Hey, this is how I felt, such-and-such happened,' whether it's right, wrong or indifferent, for him to say something would be welcomed. We'll have to proceed from there."

This is a strange and mysterious twist for a team dealing with adversity at the cornerback position. Right now, their most experienced healthy corner is Kyle Wilson, who plays the slot. Patterson, too, is banged up, recovering from calf, ankle and quadriceps injuries.

Patterson came to the Jets with a reputation for being injury prone, and he missed a good chunk of training camp with various ailments. From 2011 to 2013, he missed 33 games due to injuries. On Sunday, an acquaintance wondered if Patterson, 31, is thinking about retirement, fearing his body could be breaking down. He has a reputation around the team for being a diva.

The Jets can't afford to lose another body at cornerback. Top corner Dee Milliner (high ankle sprain) is a question mark for the season opener, Antonio Allen suffered a concussion Friday night, and rookie Dexter McDougle suffered a season-ending knee injury in training camp.

Ryan didn't sound optimistic about Milliner's chances of playing in the season opener. The former No. 1 pick, who suffered the injury two weeks ago, still isn't running at full speed.

"I'm hopeful he'll be ready, but to say that's a 100-percent guarantee, that's not true," Ryan said.

Right now, the starting corners would be Darrin Walls and Ellis Lankster, both career backups.

After failing to land any of the marquee cornerbacks in free agency, fueling a torrent of criticism, the Jets signed Patterson to a one-year, $3 million contract to replace Antonio Cromartie, whom they released. Ryan said they have always had "big plans" for Patterson, indicating he would likely be a starter.

This is a strange and mysterious twist for a team dealing with adversity at the cornerback position. Right now, their most experienced healthy corner is Kyle Wilson, who plays the slot. Patterson, too, is banged up, recovering from calf, ankle and quadriceps injuries.

Patterson came to the Jets with a reputation for being injury prone, and he missed a good chunk of training camp with various ailments. From 2011 to 2013, he missed 33 games due to injuries. On Sunday, an acquaintance wondered if Patterson, 31, is thinking about retirement, fearing his body could be breaking down. He has a reputation around the team for being a diva.

wow, I had no idea he was THAT injury prone.   

So let me understand this.   We passed on the 13M/yr CB, we passed on the $10M / yr CB, we passed on the $7M/yr CB, and we signed a guy for 3M who only plays 5 games / yr.   

Meanwhile vs. Aaron Rodgers and the Packers we will have Ellis Walls at 1 starting CB and $21M of unused cap space at the other starting CB.    Sweet!

Wouldn't skipping out on practice and a game be a breach of his contract? I would imagine teams include such terms to protect themselves from situations like this.

Pats were unable to recoup the signing bonus for a murderer.

Highly doubt the Jets would get the SB back if they cut him.

So let me understand this.   We passed on the 13M/yr CB, we passed on the $10M / yr CB, we passed on the $7M/yr CB, and we signed a guy for 3M who only plays 5 games / yr.   

Meanwhile vs. Aaron Rodgers and the Packers we will have Ellis Walls at 1 starting CB and $21M of unused cap space at the other starting CB.    Sweet!

Pretty amazing stuff when you lay it out there like that. 

Meanwhile vs. Aaron Rodgers and the Packers we will have Ellis Walls at 1 starting CB and $21M of unused cap space at the other starting CB.    Sweet!

Who dat?  Are you in the wrong  century and trying to channel Everson Walls?  FWIW, Darrin Walls will be just fine, as will be Lankster (Ellis).

That promises to be a fun match-up and afternoon .... the better one might be a a couple weeks later with a lesser QB but Tone Holmes as the #4 pass catching option. Don't even want to venture a guess at who our dime back will be ... guess it don't matter.

Yeah.  That is about the opposite of him saying comical as if it were because of the depth chart.  Failed drug test coming up?

hadn't thought of that.  pretty good idea.  how do you leave the stadium after the pre-game meal ?  what can the excuse be ?  I think he is going with a family emergency that was so critical he couldn't text his boss

or alien anal probe

That promises to be a fun match-up and afternoon .... the better one might be a a couple weeks later with a lesser QB but Tone Holmes as the #4 pass catching option. Don't even want to venture a guess at who our dime back will be ... guess it don't matter.

Send in Pryor to size Tone up on his first target across the middle, not a cheap shot, a clean hit that shakes his bones causing Tone's Vagina to pretend his lisfrank or whatever it's called is bothering him!

Send in Pryor to size Tone up on his first target across the middle, not a cheap shot, a clean hit that shakes his bones causing Tone's Vagina to pretend his lisfrank or whatever it's called is bothering him!

Nothing I'd love to see more bro - a "somebody answer the phone" type hit on that misaligned pos. 

Archived