Saalim Hakim named Jets kick returner

joewilly12

Coach Rex Ryan named Saalim Hakim the Jets' kickoff primary returner.

Rookie Jalen Saunders will presumably return punts. A Tarleton State alum, Hakim clocked forty times in the 4.2s at his 2012 Pro Day. 24 years old, Saalim is the younger brother of former Rams star Az-Zahir Hakim.

Did he even line up at that position this pre season? I thought it was always Ford?

apparently he did it for the jets last season. 

CHARLOTTE -- Wide receiver Saalim Hakim, who was signed Friday from the practice squad, is expected to return kickoffs Sunday against the Carolina Panthers. He will be the New York Jets' third kickoff returner in as many weeks. It will be his NFL debut.

I think the writings on the wall that Hill is a goner anyways.

He will play slot #5 at the bottom of the depth chart and be cut at the end of the season... These type of things happen all the time for early round busts.. no worries he'll end up on the Browns practice squad one way or another.

He will play slot #5 at the bottom of the depth chart and be cut at the end of the season... These type of things happen all the time for early round busts.. no worries he'll end up on the Browns practice squad one way or another.

Yeah, it's possible. He wont be seeing much action though if he's kept around. The effort on the slant he ran on Friday night was pathetic. Guy on the bubble half assing routes.

Yeah, it's possible. He wont be seeing much action though if he's kept around. The effort on the slant he ran on Friday night was pathetic. Guy on the bubble half assing routes.

You could truly see no effort on that slant... either he just shows no effort or he sucks so bad he's making it look like he's not even trying.

Hakim was back there every kick against the Giants and looked decent enough to me on the punt and kick cover teams. It seems like they are making roster space for him, but I never see him do anything at WR.  Strange. 

Yeah, I doubt his making of the final roster (assuming that happens) will have any impact on what they do with the WR position.  It seems that he's earning his way onto the roster strictly based on ST, and it just so happens that WR is the position he's listed at.  There's a couple of guys like that on each team.  While I'm sure they'll try to groom him to be a contributor at WR while he's on the roster, they won't be counting on him to be one this year, and aren't likely going to cut a guy like Salas for him either.

Yeah, I doubt his making of the final roster (assuming that happens) will have any impact on what they do with the WR position.  It seems that he's earning his way onto the roster strictly based on ST, and it just so happens that WR is the position he's listed at.  There's a couple of guys like that on each team.  While I'm sure they'll try to groom him to be a contributor at WR while he's on the roster, they won't be counting on him to be one this year, and aren't likely going to cut a guy like Salas for him either.

He actually played the position last year, but they only used him on a couple of reverses.  I think he was actually liste as a captain the first game he played.  I know he got caught for a big loss on one reverse and had something like an 8 yard gain on another.  Not sure if he had any more, but I am pretty sure that he had zero receptions. 

Being named KOR means he's also tying up one of the WR spots. I don't see the Jets carrying more than six. Decker, Kerley, Hakim, Saunders, Salas, and one of Nelson/Hill is my guess. With Evans on the IR, and Enunwa (hopefully) on the practice squad.

Hakim was back there every kick against the Giants and looked decent enough to me on the punt and kick cover teams. It seems like they are making roster space for him, but I never see him do anything at WR.  Strange. 

That's okay.

He may eventually grow into a good WR, while giving us immediate performance on special teams. Derrick Mason and Steve Smith took similar paths towards relevancy... some guys need time. Others guys are hopeless, apparently. 

That's okay.

He may eventually grow into a good WR, while giving us immediate performance on special teams. Derrick Mason and Steve Smith took similar paths towards relevancy... some guys need time. Others guys are hopeless, apparently. 

That is a pretty big jump.  Mason and Smith were 3rd and 4th rounders.  This kid came out in 2011 and played in the UFL.  He didn't even reach UDFA status until the following year.  Smith already had a 1000 yard season under his belt at that point.  This kid came from powerhouses Tarleton State and Palomar CC.  I have never heard of this kid catching a pass in the NFL, preseason, or even college or UFL.  His brother played in the league for a decade and he was coached by Fassel in the UFL.  It's not like he needed to learn the pro game. 

* I wonder if Saalim Hakim can get into this wide receiver mix. I cannot believe I typed that after the performance Hakim put forward in the rookie minicamp after the draft, because as a receiver he showed a remarkable ability to not catch the ball. But now Hakim, who is the younger brother of Az-Zahir Hakim, the former St. Louis wideout from the Rams’ Greatest Show on Turf days, is in much better shape and is catching the football. Hakim made his way on to the Cowboys’ radar with his work on special teams for Jim Fassel in the UFL. Hakim’s speed should make him a factor on special teams here, but he had an eye-popping run after catch on Monday that had one defender groan, "That (expletive) is fast." It was almost as if Hakim glided above the ground as he sped down the sideline.

That is a pretty big jump.  Mason and Smith were 3rd and 4th rounders.  This kid came out in 2011 and played in the UFL.  He didn't even reach UDFA status until the following year.  Smith already had a 1000 yard season under his belt at that point.  This kid came from powerhouses Tarleton State and Palomar CC.  I have never heard of this kid catching a pass in the NFL, preseason, or even college or UFL.  His brother played in the league for a decade and he was coached by Fassel in the UFL.  It's not like he needed to learn the pro game. 

It's not a "jump", I wasn't saying he was the next Steve Smith just saying maybe he'd grow from specials to WR in time. Relax.

It's not a "jump", I wasn't saying he was the next Steve Smith just saying maybe he'd grow from specials to WR in time. Relax.

He has never caught anything.  Ever. I would like it as much as the next guy, but UDFA WRs generally flash and are inconsistent.  I have not seen so much as a single decent route run by this kid.  

He has never caught anything.  Ever. I would like it as much as the next guy, but UDFA WRs generally flash and are inconsistent.  I have not seen so much as a single decent route run by this kid.  

There's some video on youtube of him. At least I think it's him, lol. It's go him on kick coverage, kick returns and playing WR.

Archived