Jets to try to unload Stephen Hill -- Cimini/Schefter Reports (merged)

Gastineau Lives

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/7445/stephen-hill

ESPN New York's Rich Cimini believes the Jets should and will try and trade WR Stephen Hill.

We doubt Hill would fetch more than a late-round pick, but he has all the measurables at 6'4/215 with 4.36 wheels. Unfortunately, Hill's hands are made of stone, while his body has yet to hold up in the NFL. Ex-GM Mike Tannenbaum made Hill the 43rd overall pick in the 2012 draft. Hill has missed nine games in two seasons, and has just 45 career grabs for 594 yards and four scores to his name. He has just two catches for 29 yards this preseason. If the Jets can't unload Hill via trade, there's a very real chance he's part of their final cuts.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wait so Cimini thinks they should and will, does that mean they actually are? No right? Unless I missed something the thread title is a little misleading.

Yeah, usually the members of the organization write the articles themselves. Don't be a nitpicker just for the sake of it. Hall monitor sh*t.

Ironically i have said all along that Stephen Hill should have a roster spot unless he pulls a McKnight in the training camp. And today right on cue he puked. Can't make that up.

I don't have a personal skin in this. All i want is the JETS to maintain the best talent and potential on their roster. Stephen Hill has had a decent camp and has shown a lot of improvement. He is going into his third year. The JETS have to show patience with him and let him develop after drafting him higher than anyone should have. And given the money he makes he should be kept on the team till his rookie contract runs out.

It would be a travesty if the JETS let go Hill, Salas and keep the likes of Saunders on the roster who hasn't done enough to justify a roster spot even before his seizure.

Whether he catches the ball or not, he can run one helluva vertical.  Considering our plethora of underneath receivers, we still need that aspect of the passing game to open up the rest.  The only other guys who can stretch a defense (with 4.3 wheels) is Clyde Gates and Salim Hakeem.  

Can they run-block? I don't know.  I'm pretty sure they're just as good at not catching as Hill is, and whether they can draw a safety is beyond me.  

But at this point, at his price, I think he stays unless we can swing something for a CB (Browns maybe?) 

If it's such a given he'll be good elsewhere, then why wouldn't one of these alleged WR Whisperer teams make the Jets an offer to please rob us blind? He's cheap, has 2 more years on his rookie deal, and requires no signing bonus. Yet no offers despite Hill being dangled to anyone who wants him. 

The "why" is no one wants to be seen as offering anything for a 3rd year WR who they then need to teach how to catch outside of practice drills, since he should have had this skill in high school. Hill doesn't do enough to just stick as a burner, to clear space underneath with one low-percentage attempt per game in some effort to keep the opposing D honest. That works only so many times; every DC in the league isn't dumb enough to bite. 

Bummer. I wanted him to work out no matter who's idea it was to trade up to draft him that high. Really unique skill set on paper, and being a good+willing blocker in college (to me) meant he's a team-first player not a me-first diva. But we can't have Geno - still very much learning on the job - hesitating in the pocket because he's worried Hill will drop it, and look off an open Hill in an effort to find better or more reliable options. And there's only so much value in him blocking a CB all the way out by the sideline. He has to be a pass-catcher and unfortunately he's struggled in this primary task.

If it's such a given he'll be good elsewhere, then why wouldn't one of these alleged WR Whisperer teams make the Jets an offer to please rob us blind? He's cheap, has 2 more years on his rookie deal, and requires no signing bonus. Yet no offers despite Hill being dangled to anyone who wants him. 

The "why" is no one wants to be seen as offering anything for a 3rd year WR who they then need to teach how to catch outside of practice drills, since he should have had this skill in high school. Hill doesn't do enough to just stick as a burner, to clear space underneath with one low-percentage attempt per game in some effort to keep the opposing D honest. That works only so many times; every DC in the league isn't dumb enough to bite. 

Bummer. I wanted him to work out no matter who's idea it was to trade up to draft him that high. Really unique skill set on paper, and being a good+willing blocker in college (to me) meant he's a team-first player not a me-first diva. But we can't have Geno - still very much learning on the job - hesitating in the pocket because he's worried Hill will drop it, and look off an open Hill in an effort to find better or more reliable options. And there's only so much value in him blocking a CB all the way out by the sideline. He has to be a pass-catcher and unfortunately he's struggled in this primary task.

agree, I was wrong on him, thought physical attributes could be molded somewhat. I wrong :(

@AdamSchefter: Jets tried trading WR Stepehen Hill this summer. No takers. Let's see if final cuts today and Saturday change that equation.

If this is true, then it would be for a player.  Teams will swap players they are going to cut which gets you out of waiting in line on the waiver wire.  Idzik seems more likely to covet a 7th, but hey...

So you've got Nelson cutting off routes and possibly causing Geno INT's (a point made by Matt, I believe), and there's Hill.  If neither of them are our WR2 I guess its Salas?  Or do we use a ton of 2-TE sets?

So you've got Nelson cutting off routes and possibly causing Geno INT's (a point made by Matt, I believe), and there's Hill.  If neither of them are our WR2 I guess its Salas?  Or do we use a ton of 2-TE sets?

March Sudfeld out there and make it the first three TE formation offense. 

What's Cumberland's health situation?  Haven't heard anything in a little while now, but if he gets healthy and Amaro can keep playing like we saw on Friday, you'll see a ton of them on the field together.  Particularly since both of these guys are capable of lining up at WR too.  If you can potentially have both of them, Decker, Kerley, and CJ on the field together, there's a lot less pressure on whoever would be next up at WR, ultimately making it easier to give the job to a relative unknown (i.e., Salas).

So you've got Nelson cutting off routes and possibly causing Geno INT's (a point made by Matt, I believe), and there's Hill. If neither of them are our WR2 I guess its Salas? Or do we use a ton of 2-TE sets?

Overall nelson and Geno seem to have good chemistry though.

Which flaws can the team live with the best? Or which one's flaws are most outweighed by what else they bring? I seriously don't know. Hopefully there's something insightful that the team sees in practices that we haven't seen in 3 preseason games.

Nobody is trading anything for Hill that will truly make the Jets better. So the real question is, if you decide to keep Hill, who's roster spot is he taking? If it's Salas, then Nick Folk should get a free full swing kick to Idzick's junk. He looks more natural than Hill, Nelson, Gates or any other of those chumps. He's the perfect example of a fringe player giving everything they've got and refusing to miss out on the opportunity (hoping a CB does the same).

I don't think they can stash IK or Rielly for that matter, so if he made it over them that would piss me off too..but who knows.

All that said, I still have a hard time seeing them dumping a 2nd Rd pick that they drafted knowing he was raw and would take a few years to develop. I get that Idzick didn't draft him, but still, I have a hard time seeing them just flat out cutting him.

Archived