•  

Welcome to JetNation.com

Sign In  Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

Create Account
Welcome to JetNation.com, your home for New York Jets talk. We are an independent site, which means we aren't affiliated with the NY Jets or SNY. The opinions here are never censored. We want you to join in on the conversation, but don't worry this is a simple and FREE process. Be apart of JetNation.com by signing in or creating an account. When you create an account, you can also opt to use your existing Facebook or Twitter login.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
Also be sure to check us out on Facebook and Twitter.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Sean Gilbert running for NFLPA head - this cannot be allowed to happen.

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Klecko73isGod

Klecko73isGod

Anchor Salesman

• Members
  • 22,745 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 11:16 AM

http://deadspin.com/...game-1626926184

Klecko help us all. 

PatriotReign37, on 10 Sept 2014 - 10:56 AM, said: Oh the ironing.

#2 shawn306

shawn306

Arbitration Eligible

• Members
  • 7,505 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 12:47 PM

When you hear that Direct TV is paying the NFL over 1 Billion dollars a year for the next 5 years for Sunday Ticket and with all the other revenue that is coming into the owners coffers the players absolutely deserve to be paid ALOT more than what they are getting today. Heck they could double the current salary cap and probably still make millions if not billions of dollars.

There are some points in there that will never go through. The free agency after three years and three year rookie contracts will never happen.

I would be in favor of less pre season games but not more regular season games.

I don't think his plan is horrible. There are some points though that will never go through.

Posted Image

#3 Klecko73isGod

Klecko73isGod

Anchor Salesman

• Members
  • 22,745 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 12:49 PM

Based solely on the way he has advised his cousin, having him running the NFLPA would almost certainly result in a season or two being lost. 

#4 Bleedin Green

Bleedin Green

SuperTwat

• Members
  • 21,469 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 01:22 PM

I could see an argument for some increased pay around the NFL (targeted for the lower level guys, considering the stars are already making obscene amounts), but a guy like Gilbert isn't going to do much to help there.  He can talk big all he likes, but do you think the owners are really going to want to budge even a bit if they are dealing with the one man who has shown the least amount of interest in honoring NFL contracts that the league has ever seen?  An NFLPA head who's going to actively encourage players to hold out is going to be told where he can go shove it the second he tries to play tough.  Not to mention, some of the items listed there are so laughably stupid I can't believe anyone is dumb enough to think there's a chance of them happening.

If he were to get the job, I think the real question would simply be which would come first: a strike or a lockout.

By day he's the (not so) mild-mannered Bleedin Green, but by night...

TL;DR

#5 SouthernJet

SouthernJet

Hey, nice marmot!

• Members
  • 31,733 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 03:27 PM

Based solely on the way he has advised his cousin, having him running the NFLPA would almost certainly result in a season or two being lost.

Agree guy is turd

Edited by SouthernJet, 26 August 2014 - 03:30 PM.

Posted Image

"No straight lines make up my life, and all my roads have bends;
There's no clear-cut beginnings, and so far no dead-ends."

#6 NCJETSFAN

NCJETSFAN

Idea Factory

• Members
  • 519 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 05:30 PM

The prob is the CBA has 6 years left and to prove collusion is going to take a while. Meanwhile the new tv contracts are. About to kick in and cap will be getting higher

#7 bitonti

bitonti

Draft Bathroom Attendant

• Members
  • 15,139 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 05:32 PM

objection, your honor. speculative. 

My posts have to get worse, so they can get better.

#8 Larz

Larz

High priest of Syrinx

• Members
  • 18,352 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 05:47 PM

wake me up when the players agree to share in the risk as partners as well as the reward

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

#9 RutgersJetFan

RutgersJetFan

Bring me Solo and the Wookie

• Members
  • 17,289 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 06:08 PM

That sh*t about the minimum salary is adorbs.

(Chandler)'s a nice piece as long as he's the 7th most important player on your roster....I think they're going to be disappointed when they see he's just a pumped-up Drew Gooden.

#10 Klecko73isGod

Klecko73isGod

Anchor Salesman

• Members
  • 22,745 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 06:30 PM

That sh*t about the minimum salary is adorbs.

He wants to pay practice squad guys 20 grand a week.

#11 slats

slats

9 5/8" hands

• Moderators
  • 19,594 posts
  • LocationAcross the Universe

Posted 26 August 2014 - 06:34 PM

wake me up when the players agree to share in the risk as partners as well as the reward

Lol. Wake me up when the owners are risking their livelihoods everyday in training camp or on Sundays.

If I was a player, I'd be wearing an Uncle Sean for Chief button. I'd know this guy was going to go to war for me.
back in my room
wish you were dead
you bawl like the baby
in Eraserhead

#12 RutgersJetFan

RutgersJetFan

• Members
  • 17,289 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 06:37 PM

He wants to pay practice squad guys 20 grand a week.

The problem is that franchises rely on the salaries of mid-rounders to stay under the cap and relatively talented at the same time. Increase the minimum and the math doesn't work for that anymore, therefore he's essentially asking the owners to agree to bump up the cap big-time. Meaning that he may as well be requesting that the players be allowed to take a mid-season trip to search for Cthulhu while he's at it. Because that is a horrible starting point.

(Chandler)'s a nice piece as long as he's the 7th most important player on your roster....I think they're going to be disappointed when they see he's just a pumped-up Drew Gooden.

#13 dbatesman

dbatesman

Failgoat 2.0

• Members
  • 8,839 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 06:39 PM

ahahahahahah

This is like having a cat with leukemia.

#14 Matt39

Matt39

master knows all except combination to safe

• Members
  • 22,579 posts
  • LocationDel Boca Vista Phase III

Posted 26 August 2014 - 06:42 PM

What's the cap threshold before it turns into the NBA?

#15 RutgersJetFan

RutgersJetFan

• Members
  • 17,289 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 06:48 PM

ahahahahahah

The Rooneys are saints! Do you hear me? THE ROONEYS ARE SAINTS!!

#16 Larz

Larz

High priest of Syrinx

• Members
  • 18,352 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 07:40 PM

Lol. Wake me up when the owners are risking their livelihoods everyday in training camp or on Sundays.

If I was a player, I'd be wearing an Uncle Sean for Chief button. I'd know this guy was going to go to war for me.

todays players had nothing top do with starting the league, or putting money on the line or building stadiums.  they understand the risk going in.  it's tackle football

don't like it ? get a real job

ask NHL players about war chestas and going to war. simple reality is the players need the NFL, the owners don't.  they made their billions in other area's.  take the NFL away from antonio cromartie, what is he doing for a living ?

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

#17 Matt39

Matt39

• Members
  • 22,579 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 07:58 PM

take the NFL away from antonio cromartie, what is he doing for a living ?

Edited by Matt39, 26 August 2014 - 08:03 PM.

#18 Bugg

Bugg

Of counsel whack job

• Members
  • 14,885 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 08:02 PM

The signed or will sign a DirecTv deal this week that gives every owner an extra $15 million a year on top of the pile they already get.The NFL could hold the games in a studio, not selling a single ticket, and still be very profitable. The salary ca is sodl as some kind of competitive equlaizer But it now is only a drag on salaries. The incomes among and between the teams are mostly close to equal. This is not 1955. If Peyton Manning can become an ad icon playing in small markets, the small /big market competitive advantage in an internet age is meaningless. You can compete and make piles of money anywhere.

The only way 18 games makes sense is if you increase active rosters or require players to sit a game or 2. Andwhile there would rises in  salary the NFLPA a sensible vesting pension plan (vest earlier, count PS time in whole or in part) and increase postcareer medical beneifts. 

Smith is an a-hole. At least Gilbert has a paln other than running his mouth.

Edited by Bugg, 26 August 2014 - 08:03 PM.

Objective-Glendale, Arizona

Super Bowl 49-February, 2015

#19 Matt39

Matt39

• Members
  • 22,579 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 08:16 PM

take the NFL away from antonio cromartie, what is he doing for a living ?

#20 bitonti

bitonti

Draft Bathroom Attendant

• Members
  • 15,139 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 08:55 PM

The Gilbert/Goodell battle will be for a dying empire

http://deadspin.com/...to-h-1626851174

it is a huge amount of money now but parents aren't letting their kids play ball as much as they used to 

this game turns heads into mush 

teams at the high school level will become uninsurable 

the league will exist but end up getting more foreigners and more MMA types with nothing to lose 

It's not crazy to predict that the directv contract gravy train is at a peak 

Edited by bitonti, 26 August 2014 - 08:58 PM.

My posts have to get worse, so they can get better.

#21 T0mShane

T0mShane

When it's over, that's the time I fall in love againlolo

• Members
  • 28,028 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 08:59 PM

I'll resolve this in two minutes:

All contracts are guaranteed at a certain percentage based on playing time, but none of the guaranteed sums count against the salary cap.
Well, that's the internet, man: 9 billion tough guys who secretly want to touch your pee-pee.

#22 johnnysd

johnnysd

Practice Squad Player

• Members
  • 515 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 02:00 AM

Kessler and Gilbert could wreck the NFL.

#23 SenorGato

SenorGato

Schottenhomer

• Members
  • 20,531 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 04:19 AM

This or someone like him should definitely happen. It's not like they'll win anything. The owners and their legion of meatheads will make sure of that. 

We sick an' tired of-a your ism-skism game. Dyin' 'n' goin' to heaven in-a Jesus' name, Lord. We know when we understand:

Almighty God is a living man. - Bob Marley "Get up Stand up"

#24 SenorGato

SenorGato

Schottenhomer

• Members
  • 20,531 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 04:24 AM

todays players had nothing top do with starting the league, or putting money on the line or building stadiums.  they understand the risk going in.  it's tackle football

don't like it ? get a real job

ask NHL players about war chestas and going to war. simple reality is the players need the NFL, the owners don't.  they made their billions in other area's.  take the NFL away from antonio cromartie, what is he doing for a living ?

Bold: Can't really get more meatheaded than that.

Italics: Lol 

We sick an' tired of-a your ism-skism game. Dyin' 'n' goin' to heaven in-a Jesus' name, Lord. We know when we understand:

Almighty God is a living man. - Bob Marley "Get up Stand up"

#25 Lizard King

Lizard King

Perpetual Mediocrity

• Members
  • 5,626 posts
  • LocationMendham, NJ

Posted 27 August 2014 - 05:53 AM

You guys heard that the NFL is considering having artists pay THEM for the right to perform at the Superbowl right?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users