ESPN reports Pats have traded Logan Mankins to Tampa Bay

Wilkshake69

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What are you in a 24 team league that plays 2 TEs?

When QB and aDOT are factored in, only Jordan Cameron exceeded Tim Wright's catch rate last year (13% above expected) #Patriots

Tim Wright is a good pass-catching TE. 50+ catches last year in a dumpster-fire offense. Nice pick-up.

Jimmy Graham was the only tight end in the NFL that caught more touchdowns than Tim Wright in the final four weeks last season.

Tim Wright was impressive when I attended Bucs practice. He can really stretch the field. Mankins will be a HUGE upgrade for Bucs interior.

Not saying it's a genius move, but Mankins is 32 years old and has lost a step or two over the last couple of seasons. No different than Mangold and D'Brick.  From all camp reports, Josh Kline has been very impressive and is 24 years old. 

if the Jets replaced Mangold with Josh Kline we'd all be sh*tting bricks.

This move doesn't make the Pats better.

btw good to see ya tex

Jimmy Graham was the only tight end in the NFL that caught more touchdowns than Tim Wright in the final four weeks last season.

I hate these extrapolated statistics. They mean nothing. The NFL is 16 games long for a reason.

Hell, wasn't Geno a top 10 QB over the last 4 games last year?

Prove your worth over 16 games.

if the Jets replaced Mangold with Josh Kline we'd all be sh*tting bricks.

This move doesn't make the Pats better.

btw good to see ya tex

Be curious to see what the Jets do with Mangold and D'Brick over the next 1-2 years. Big cap space and diminishing skills, same as Mankins.

Always appreciated you input bit, good to be back.

When QB and aDOT are factored in, only Jordan Cameron exceeded Tim Wright's catch rate last year (13% above expected) #Patriots

Tim Wright is a good pass-catching TE. 50+ catches last year in a dumpster-fire offense. Nice pick-up.

Tim Wright was impressive when I attended Bucs practice. He can really stretch the field. Mankins will be a HUGE upgrade for Bucs interior.

Keep reading the thread... Good lord.

Be curious to see what the Jets do with Mangold and D'Brick over the next 1-2 years. Big cap space and diminishing skills, same as Mankins.

Always appreciated you input bit, good to be back.

It's easy to say someone has diminishing skills on the day your favorite team trades them. Prove it. The dude was an All Pro Last year

even if he was diminishing the dude is a legend. he played the entire 2011 season on a torn ACL and the Pats went to the super bowl. Alan Faneca was diminishing when the Jets signed him in 2009 he was still awesome for two years. 

this isn't like Brick/ Mangold  it's more like Revis. an outstanding once in a generation player who didn't get the respect he deserved. Both traded to the Bucs.

In fact, what could the Pats be shifting all this cap space for, exactly? 

A revis extension perhaps? that would be a kick to the groin for every Jets fan.

It's easy to say someone has diminishing skills on the day your favorite team trades them. Prove it. The dude was an All Pro Last year

even if he was diminishing the dude is a legend. he played the entire 2011 season on a torn ACL and the Pats went to the super bowl. Alan Faneca was diminishing when the Jets signed him in 2009 he was still awesome for two years. 

this isn't like Brick/ Mangold  it's more like Revis. an outstanding once in a generation player who didn't get the respect he deserved. Both traded to the Bucs.

In fact, what could the Pats be shifting all this cap space for, exactly? 

A revis extension perhaps? that would be a kick to the groin for every Jets fan.

First off, I loved Mankins as a Patriot. Tough as nails and came to play every single day.

Unfortunately, for all the well-run, winning organizations in the NFL, it's not about what you did yesterday, it's all about what you will do tomorrow. Both Lawyer Milloy and Richard Seymour were All-Pro when the Pats let them go and they didn't miss a beat.

Revis is a one year rental. Can't see the Pats shelling out big bucks long-term for an aging CB.

Unfortunately, for all the well-run, winning organizations in the NFL, it's not about what you did yesterday, it's all about what you will do tomorrow. 

This trade doesn't make the team better in 2014 and in fact, they will never replace Mankins. Just like they never replaced Seymour. You don't replace guys like that. You move on. but no way will that team be better without their best offensive lineman

also since it's apparently obvious to all the Pats homers that Mankins was slipping, please provide proof of it. 

First off, I loved Mankins as a Patriot. Tough as nails and came to play every single day.

Unfortunately, for all the well-run, winning organizations in the NFL, it's not about what you did yesterday, it's all about what you will do tomorrow. Both Lawyer Milloy and Richard Seymour were All-Pro when the Pats let them go and they didn't miss a beat.

Revis is a one year rental. Can't see the Pats shelling out big bucks long-term for an aging CB.

This is a ballsy move that few NFL teams would be willing to make, no matter how well-run or winning. I get that Mankins is on the downside of his career, but he was still -arguably- the Pats best offensive lineman. What kind of depth do the Pats have there to sustain that loss?

And were the weapons for Brady in that bad of shape? I thought they were gearing up for a Super Bowl run (although the Garrapolo pick was a head-scratcher there, too). Does this trade make them a better team today in your eyes?

also since it's apparently obvious to all the Pats homers that Mankins was slipping, please provide proof of it. 

I guess you didn't catch too many Pats games last year.

Mankins was a human turnstile and came up small in big games.

But he's 32 years old, and at that age, All-Pros can be all done before you know it. He obviously struggled last year (11 sacks allowed), and didn't always play his best in the biggest moments. And Belichick's track record in identifying and discarding veteran stars before their eroding skills are apparent is pretty much beyond reproach.

http://www.boston.com/sports/touching_all_the_bases/2014/08/logan_mankins.html

What kind of depth do the Pats have there to sustain that loss?

they actually have a ton of options. None are elite but should be servicable. Josh Kline, Jordan Devey, Marcus Cannon, Jon Halapio, Ryan Wendell etc. THey could put Stork in at center and bump over Connolly. They also could sign Richie Incognito and reform him with the magic of the Patriots way. 

Any way you slice it, the line is worse. None of these guys will fully replace Mankins. 

This is a ballsy move that few NFL teams would be willing to make, no matter how well-run or winning. I get that Mankins is on the downside of his career, but he was still -arguably- the Pats best offensive lineman. What kind of depth do the Pats have there to sustain that loss?

And were the weapons for Brady in that bad of shape? I thought they were gearing up for a Super Bowl run (although the Garrapolo pick was a head-scratcher there, too). Does this trade make them a better team today in your eyes?

Tough to answer that right now. Like I said, I have always been a huge Mankins fan (only John Hannah was a better Guard in Patriot history) and hate to see him go.

If the OLine can cut down on Brady's career high 40 sacks last year and Wright can put up 60 receptions, 800 yards and 6 TD's, then yes, the Pats will be a better team.

Time will tell.

He obviously struggled last year (11 sacks allowed), and didn't always play his best in the biggest moments. And Belichick's track record in identifying and discarding veteran stars before their eroding skills are apparent is pretty much beyond reproach.

Even a declining Mankins can be a very effective player. 11 sacks and everything aside. Why should anyone believe Kline or Devey will give up less?

What about cohesion?

They need to settle that lineup, if a revolving door sets in they will be screwed. 

Even a declining Mankins can be a very effective player. 11 sacks and everything aside. Why should anyone believe Kline or Devey will give up less?

What about cohesion?

They need to settle that lineup, if a revolving door sets in they will be screwed.

I'm sure they'll figure it out. Brady will get rid of the ball fast or he'll somehow step aside from a sure sack like he always does. Because God hates me.

I'm sure they'll figure it out. Brady will get rid of the ball fast or he'll somehow step aside from a sure sack like he always does. Because God hates me.

I wonder how much of the increased sack numbers have to do with the decline of Brady.

Mankins wasn't the only aging future HOF'er on that roster. 

TAWM BRADY IS NEVAH GOING TO DECLINE. HE WILL AWWWLWAYS BE THE GREATEST QB EVAH! NO ONE DENIES THIS. 

Honestly though, if Brady stopped aging and was the QB for like the next forty years, would it really surprise anyone? I think most of us would be like "yup, totally saw that one coming."

Honestly though, if Brady stopped aging and was the QB for like the next forty years, would it really surprise anyone? I think most of us would be like "yup, totally saw that one coming."

The word "mother****er" would officially become the most commonly spoken word by each and every Jets fan. 

I wonder how much of the increased sack numbers have to do with the decline of Brady.

Mankins wasn't the only aging future HOF'er on that roster. 

Really?

Mankins was not the sole reason of the 40 sacks.  Connelly was a bit of a turnstile himself.  The right guard was equally bad as well.

I saw too many times last year where the rusher came in unblocked.

Mankins would still be a good player, but he was not even very good last year.  And for his cap hit, I have no problems with him being traded.

Archived