Dimitri Patterson Suspended For Remainder Of Preseason

Maxman

Then wouldn't you be complaining about our WR situation being complete dogsh*t (which it would be) and saying that we went into the season with all our eggs in the Geno basket hoping he'd succeed when he showed nothing but inconsistency the previous year? Decker has had reasonable success and is in or around the prime of his career. Besides we barely have NFL-caliber receivers with him on the roster as it is.

I like the Decker signing. I just find it funny that there are folks who praise the Decker signing while at the same time like the fact we left the CB position to burn. It's not like we don't have the flexibility here. Would have preferred using Pattersons and Vicks salary to slightly overpay for a starting caliber CB.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

#1 - I'm not advocating maxing out the cap every year, although there is nothing wrong with that approach as long as it's a pay as you go approach and you aren't creating a ton of dead money.   The 21M of unused cap space is going us no good.   Even revis at 16M / yr with no signing bonus would have worked. 

#2 - I don't see how DRC at 3 yrs for $24M saddles kills the cap.  Look at what he took - 3/24 probably gets done.  

#3 - Patterson should have been brought in to compete with Wilson at nickel.  Wilson is really a bad NFL football player.   McDougal adds depth and more competition but going into the season with Patterson penciled in as the starter is very close to the Clarke / Jones / Hunter.   The dude has averaged 5 games / yr.

#1 = I do think this is precisely what they were looking to do with others. Revis at $16M, before the draft, is just silly to me. You disagree, that's fine. 

#2 = It's not that it saddles the cap. It wouldn't saddle the cap to give Stephen Hill a raise to $4M for the season right now either. But throwing $13M guaranteed to a guy who was bad for 2 of the last 3 seasons - not so-so; bad - is not a good move IMO. If he is really good for 3 years, rather than the 2-legged holding penalty douchebag he was before, the Giants are lucky more than smart.

#3 = Patterson, I still believe, was never brought in to start 16 games. He was brought in to start the early part of season, if that was even necessary, and to provide veteran depth/competition. McDougle busting his ACL did away with those plans, and Miliner spraining his ankle on top of that obliterated the plans altogether. That Patterson is far worse than advertised (on the field, not health-wise) makes the move look that much worse, and that is all on Idzik.

I like the Decker signing. I just find it funny that there are folks who praise the Decker signing while at the same time like the fact we left the CB position to burn. It's not like we don't have the flexibility here. Would have preferred using Pattersons and Vicks salary to slightly overpay for a starting caliber CB.

Typically, WRs last longer than CBs is the reason. They really only seemed to do a full-court press on Vontae Davis because they felt he would be good for at least 3 years, if not longer. The rest, I think Idzik just didn't want to get tied down to someone he felt had a higher bust potential, specifically due to past attitude issues (like DRC). 

Knowing what we know now, it's hard to not say signing DRC would have been the better move, no matter what Idzik says about not having any regrets. But in hindsight I can list a whole lot of other things I'd have chosen as well. But the same could be said of any team.

just wait fellow Jets fans,

until you get to see Revis in Red white and blue 2x a year.

That will be entertainment. I can throw up in my mouth a little just thinking about it. 

hey who knows maybe 3x if the jets get the privilege of playing wild card football. 

the Jets had the greatest cornerback in the game. 

Now they have no cornerbacks at all. 

And most of the fans on message boards seem to think these are unrelated statements. 

The CB situation is very easy to solve, in hindsight. Don't let your amazingly awesome player get away. Pay the man his money. 

To be clear I don't blame Idzik even tho everyone knew McDougle couldn't stay healthy and Patterson is a bum

I blame Woody who for whatever reason took the Revis situation very, very, personal. 

godfather.gif

but hey at least they have cap space. Thank F--k for that. 

Yeah no way a player like Revis could ever get a knee injury.  Also I doubt McDougles shoulder injury made him more susceptible to a knee injury.  You are better than this man.  Or are you?

he also broke his hand in high school and missed his entire junior season. his injury at Maryland was his second season ending injury in six years. HIs ACL with the Jets makes it 3 in 7.

A hand, a shoulder, a knee. 

Re-injuring the same body part is injury prone. McDougle is unlucky. 

Not to mention that if you have to reach all the way back to his junior year in high school, which predates last year's injury by 5 years, you're grasping at straws. 

It's simple.

The Jets want Decker on the roster 3 years from now.  I don't believe the same could be said about the other CBs, save maybe Davis.

I didn't like the Vick signing either but I'm over it. It happened. It's also easy to say now you'd rather not have him because Geno showed something in preseason, but it was just as plausible that Geno sh*t the bed and was a complete bust. Vick was insurance for if Geno fell on his face. Besides, like you said, we had cap room to make a move if they identified one they were happy with at the time and they had mutual interest.

It's simple.

The Jets want Decker on the roster 3 years from now.  I don't believe the same could be said about the other CBs, save maybe Davis.

It's like Idzick said he doesnt believe that short term spending equates to immediate success.  Instead, responsible spending leads to long term sustainable success.  He's got a plan, not breaking the bank on a CB doesnt change that...he's actually following the philosophy he preaches.  Its refreshing.  And I'd like to see what he's got instore for the future.

Bottom line is, all the bitching and moaning, there isnt a single CB in the history of the game that was making the Jets a contender this season.

Great, because a Sandy Alderson clone is EXACTLY what we needed to run the Jets. SMH...

Its a winning philosphy for many other NFL teams, dont see why it cant work for the Jets. 

Its crazy talk, I know, but I kind of want to see what his team does in his second season when they take the field in a meaningful game.  It nuts.  I'm crazy.  I know.  But I just cant help wanting to see the product take the field before I call the GM with one season under his belt, Sandy Alderson.

My understanding of the Decker deal is it's essentially a 2 year deal, 7 M per year. The team can easily get out before year 3

as for Vick it's a great move for two reasons 1) They actually could need this player if Geno gets hurt. 2) Geno knows he has real competition i.e. steps up his game, which appears to have happened. 

huhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhu

Beavis-and-Butthead-Huh-Huh-Humbug-beavi

Dude won a SB last year.  He might not be great but if he's good enough for them, then why not for us?

And plus, that was just more of a throw in...my point was still strong without him.

Anyone ever consider finding a middle ground between these extremes?

By "middle ground," of course you mean, "GM who makes all the moves you want him to make while also not missing on any FA signings or draft picks?"

Yeah, I don't think that guy exists.

My understanding of the Decker deal is it's essentially a 2 year deal, 7 M per year. The team can easily get out before year 3

as for Vick it's a great move for two reasons 1) They actually could need this player if Geno gets hurt. 2) Geno knows he has real competition i.e. steps up his game, which appears to have happened. 

Perhaps so.  Point being, I don't think they'd be upset if he made it through his contract.

I agree on the Vick move, though, I don't think it's "the" reason Geno improved.

Overall, I'm just happy that the future is in no way leveraged and there's no decisions made these last two years that will haunt us for a couple of years.  Could the team be better now, yes?  But maybe it's battered Jets fan syndrome, but I'm not going to bemoan 'could have done' moves when I'm just happy there haven't been any real bad ones.

Its a winning philosphy for many other NFL teams, dont see why it cant work for the Jets. 

Its crazy talk, I know, but I kind of want to see what his team does in his second season when they take the field in a meaningful game.  It nuts.  I'm crazy.  I know.  But I just cant help wanting to see the product take the field before I call the GM with one season under his belt, Sandy Alderson.

you mean like the Seahawks trading for Percy Harvin and giving him a boatload of cash?   or the Broncos signing every FA they can get their hands on?   

I like the way Idzik is building the organization.   I just think you have to figure out all 22 positions and can't afford to ignore a key one like CB.   The Jets dealt with this the hard way in previous years with Wayne Hunter, Adrien Clarke, and Adrien Jones amongst others.  

I also think the Jets can and should be contenders this year.   they had a foundation and 2 1st rd picks last year, 12 picks this season, and 40M+ of cap space.  If they don't contend for something I'd say that's probably the end of Rex which would be unfortunate b/c i'm sure he wanted to use some of the $21M on an NFL caliber CB.   

Patrick Patterson n Richard Sherman say hi.

and what has Gino done so far??? yeah they have a good QB don't make stupid comments like that, when you have a QB that can win games for you yeah! Gino is not there yet so no! you don't pay QB money to CBs  when your QB is not there yet.

and what has Gino done so far??? yeah they have a good QB don't make stupid comments like that, when you have a QB that can win games for you yeah! Gino is not there yet so no! you don't pay QB money to CBs when your QB is not there yet.

Without Sherman, Seattle doesn't even make the playoffs. Not sure why Geno (GENO) was brought up but a SB winning team just paid QB money to a CB to prove u wrong.

Without Sherman, Seattle doesn't even make the playoffs. Not sure why Geno (GENO) was brought up but a SB winning team just paid QB money to a CB to prove u wrong.

Doesn't mean that it will end up being a good move for them long-term. Sherman got paid after they won the SB not before, meaning they had incredible depth and talent on that team because of financial flexibility which they are now sacrificing. Russell Wilson is also going to need a new deal obviously as he's still on the rookie scale. They can't pay everyone.

Doesn't mean that it will end up being a good move for them long-term. Sherman got paid after they won the SB not before, meaning they had incredible depth and talent on that team because of financial flexibility which they are now sacrificing. Russell Wilson is also going to need a new deal obviously as he's still on the rookie scale. They can't pay everyone.

That's the problem when you have salary cap. You can't have everybody. Again, without Richard Sherman, Seattle doesn't even get a shot at the SB. So now they had to decide, do we keep him at 2nd tier QB money or do we let him walk n hope our 2nd tier QB takes the leap to 1st tier QB. Either way, Sherman proved his worth to Seattle. Too bad, Jets didn't have half decent offense during their deep playoff years, else Revis would've proved his worth.

you mean like the Seahawks trading for Percy Harvin and giving him a boatload of cash?   or the Broncos signing every FA they can get their hands on?   

I like the way Idzik is building the organization.   I just think you have to figure out all 22 positions and can't afford to ignore a key one like CB.   The Jets dealt with this the hard way in previous years with Wayne Hunter, Adrien Clarke, and Adrien Jones amongst others.  

I also think the Jets can and should be contenders this year.   they had a foundation and 2 1st rd picks last year, 12 picks this season, and 40M+ of cap space.  If they don't contend for something I'd say that's probably the end of Rex which would be unfortunate b/c i'm sure he wanted to use some of the $21M on an NFL caliber CB.   

The Seahawks traded for Harvin and he had very little to do with their SB.  The horses that won the SB were home grown.  You dont see them spending big in FA.  And sure, the Broncos spent and spent and spent, but got destroyed in the SB by a team who built through the draft.  The are many more examples of teams building in a frugal manner having long term success rather than spending to spend because you can.

All that said, I'm in 100% agreement he could have done more to address the CB situation...I'm still going to wait to see the product before I freak out.

Perhaps. But they won the SB paying Sherman 4th string money. Their stud QB as well, for that matter. And their productive WRs on top of that.

It gets more difficult when the same guys who got you there cost $10-$20M apiece instead of $500K.

Patterson released a statement to espn saying him going AWOL is completely false. Clown.

This whole signing is leaving Idzik with egg on his face. Signing Patterson for 3 mil when he could have had Cro for 3.5, so you get a player with less talent, less experience in Rex's system, and now all of this drama that isn't worth the trouble for a player who all in all might not even be good enough to make the roster.

Here it is.

Dimitri Patterson: My absence wasn’t about depth chart
Posted by Josh Alper on August 28, 2014, 10:08 AM EDT
cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjAP

Cornerback Dimitri Patterson will have to cool his jets for a few more days after the Jets announced that his suspension for failing to show up for last Friday’s game against the Giants would extend through at least September 1.

Patterson took issue with characterizations of his absence as going AWOL, although that’s how the Jets presented it before and after handing down the suspension. Patterson has now addressed the absence again in a statement to Josina Anderson of ESPN that continued to keep the reason for his absence private while saying he let the Jets know he wouldn’t be there and that his absence wasn’t due to dissatisfaction with his role on defense.

“As it relates to my whereabouts and me missing for 48 hours without being seen or heard from me or my representative is completely false. My agent reached out to the Jets organization multiple times several hours prior to Friday night’s game,” Patterson said in the statement. “My commitment to the Jets organization and to my teammates has never been an issue and never will be an issue. As it relates to the rumors about my frustration in regards to the depth chart is totally and completely false. In nine years I have never had control over the depth chart.”

The Jets never said that they hadn’t heard from Patterson’s agent, just that he failed to show up for the game without being excused by the team ahead of time. As for the reason and his commitment to the Jets, Patterson only needs to satisfy the Jets’s concerns and their need for help at cornerback appears to be a big boost for him on that front.

He's a goner for sure now.

Here it is.

Dimitri Patterson: My absence wasn’t about depth chart
Posted by Josh Alper on August 28, 2014, 10:08 AM EDT
cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjAP

Cornerback Dimitri Patterson will have to cool his jets for a few more days after the Jets announced that his suspension for failing to show up for last Friday’s game against the Giants would extend through at least September 1.

Patterson took issue with characterizations of his absence as going AWOL, although that’s how the Jets presented it before and after handing down the suspension. Patterson has now addressed the absence again in a statement to Josina Anderson of ESPN that continued to keep the reason for his absence private while saying he let the Jets know he wouldn’t be there and that his absence wasn’t due to dissatisfaction with his role on defense.

“As it relates to my whereabouts and me missing for 48 hours without being seen or heard from me or my representative is completely false. My agent reached out to the Jets organization multiple times several hours prior to Friday night’s game,” Patterson said in the statement. “My commitment to the Jets organization and to my teammates has never been an issue and never will be an issue. As it relates to the rumors about my frustration in regards to the depth chart is totally and completely false. In nine years I have never had control over the depth chart.”

The Jets never said that they hadn’t heard from Patterson’s agent, just that he failed to show up for the game without being excused by the team ahead of time. As for the reason and his commitment to the Jets, Patterson only needs to satisfy the Jets’s concerns and their need for help at cornerback appears to be a big boost for him on that front.

He's a goner for sure now.

Very bizarre situation.  I'm really not sure what to make of it all.  He keeps saying that the agents called the Jets, the Jets dont deny that.  WTF happened?  You'd think he'd come out and say the reason why.  Just weird situation.  Never heard of anything like this.

This whole signing is leaving Idzik with egg on his face. Signing Patterson for 3 mil when he could have had Cro for 3.5, so you get a player with less talent, less experience in Rex's system, and now all of this drama that isn't worth the trouble for a player who all in all might not even be good enough to make the roster.

That Idzik didn't go after Cro for that money tells you everything you need to know about how Idizik feels about Cromartie. 

That Idzik didn't go after Cro for that money tells you everything you need to know about how Idizik feels about Cromartie. 

And is there anyone here who would rather have Patterson on the roster rather than Cromartie? Even before all of this AWOL drama I was saying Cromartie should be here over Patterson. Idzik wanted to let Cro go from the beginning but failed to sign a quality CB so he had to settle for a player of even lesser value than the one he decided to let go. No sugarcoating this failure.

Very bizarre situation.  I'm really not sure what to make of it all.  He keeps saying that the agents called the Jets, the Jets dont deny that.  WTF happened?  You'd think he'd come out and say the reason why.  Just weird situation.  Never heard of anything like this.

Sounds like back-tracking PR control to me. Who knows what the guy's reason was but it obviously must be embarassing enough to keep private and/or is just not a legit excuse to miss the game. Either way, to act indignant over people prying into what is happening I think is just going to blow up in his face. Sooner or later the "real" reason is going to come out or a lot of people are just going to assume the worst on it. So bizarre. Only the Jets.

Archived