Interesting article about the secondary situation

faba

On The New York Jets Cornerback Situation

By Joe Caporoso.

August 27, 2014

The New York Jets enter the 2014 season with a messy situation at the cornerback position. You don’t need us to tell you that, as it has become the number one story surrounding the team in the absence of any quarterback circus or controversy. Geno Smith has just played really well and Mike Vick has settled into being an ideal backup. Carry on to cornerback, where there is plenty to talk about.

Without getting too bogged down in what happened in the past, let’s take a quick roll through the Jets recent offseason activity. They made an early play for Vontae Davis in free agency this offseason but basically ended up being leveraged by him for money from the Colts. They had a visit with Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie but were never going to match the 12 million guaranteed the Giants threw at him. They were more interested in a short term, prove it type deal from a player who has had inconsistencies throughout his career and openly discussed retirement this past February. Antonio Cromartie was never seriously considered for a new contract due to health concerns and his play in 2013. Their plan B after Davis ended up being Dimitri Patterson on a 1 year contract with 1 million guaranteed as a hold the fort starter until a draft pick (who ended up being Dexter McDougle in the 3rd round) was ready to play opposite of Dee Milliner.

Plan B hasn’t worked. Patterson has struggled to stay healthy (which has plagued him throughout his career), hasn’t performed when on the field and recently went AWOL during a pre-season game. McDougle tore his ACL in training camp the same day that Milliner suffered a high ankle sprain, which will likely hold him out until week 2 or 3. Cornerback was a question mark coming into training camp and that question has only been amplified.

John Idzik has admirably rebuilt this roster from the scrap heap it was at the end of the 2012 season, while compiling young players and opening up cap space to keep key pieces long term. Yet, he has opened himself up to fair criticism at cornerback in 2014 as Patterson continues to be a messy, unproductive signing.

Now, to say Idzik has completely spurned the secondary since coming here is factually incorrect. He has used his highest pick in the draft in consecutive years on a cornerback and then a safety, along with adding another 3rd round corner and signing a starting caliber safety (Dawan Landry). The injury to McDougle and struggles of Patterson shine a brighter than expected light on two lower key moves he made to start this offseason, re-signing Darrin Walls and Ellis Lankster.

The Jets will likely head into week one with Walls and Antonio Allen starting at cornerback, as this year’s first round pick Calvin Pryor has shown himself capable of starting right out of the gate at safety. With Milliner still out, putting Allen at corner allows the Jets to keep their best 11 on the field at most times and further flex his versatility as they are likely to play plenty of three safety looks going forward anyway. Lankster should see plenty of rotational action as well, especially with Kyle Wilson playing so poorly in the slot. Wilson’s struggles are also the reason Patterson is still being kept around, as he has shown himself to be a capable slot corner when healthy.

When Milliner returns, the Jets will be relying on him to be their top cover guy while Walls can hopefully be a competent starter opposite of him and allow Allen to move back to his more natural safety spot. Rex Ryan will adjust his defense to put more on his safeties, where the Jets have three very capable players and less on the corners. Beyond that, the team will be counting on their front seven, particularly their dominant defensive line to help bail out their corners as well.

It is not strong situation for the Jets at corner but it should not be a deathblow to their season that they don’t have a proven second starter after Milliner hopefully returns from injury in September. They have too much top talent upfront and potentially at safety, nevermind if Demario Davis and Quinton Coples take the next step at linebacker. Rex will need to get creative to hide the shortcomings on his depth chart but all good coaches need to do this, as every team has spots that are inevitably weaker than others and thinking Rex can’t coach a defense without top end corners is shortchanging him.

Bashing Idzik for the Patterson signing is fair. Yet, let’s see the season Dee Milliner, Calvin Pryor, Antonio Allen, Darrin Walls and Dawan Landry put together before overreacting and saying the secondary is a disaster, nevermind the rest of the defense. It would seem to make more sense to weigh the positive of hitting on Milliner and Pryor in the first round (IF they have good years) more than the negative of missing on a 1 million guaranteed, 1 year contract. Just like it meant more that Idzik hit on Sheldon Richardson last season than that he missed on somebody like Antwan Barnes (another low-cost veteran addition who didn’t end up panning out, although his was due to injury).

…One final note – Can we stop with the “Jets had opportunity at Darrelle Revis and passed on him this offseason” articles?” This completely misconstrues the situation. Look at the relationship between the Tampa and New England front office. Revis went directly to New England after being released with a contract ready to roll for him. There was never high level discussions between TEAM REVIS and the Jets organization. Revis’ manager texting Manish Mehta or Jason Cole doesn’t equate to his agents sitting down with John Idzik or Woody Johnson.

…One final note – Can we stop with the “Jets had opportunity at Darrelle Revis and passed on him this offseason” articles?” This completely misconstrues the situation. Look at the relationship between the Tampa and New England front office. Revis went directly to New England after being released with a contract ready to roll for him. There was never high level discussions between TEAM REVIS and the Jets organization. Revis’ manager texting Manish Mehta or Jason Cole doesn’t equate to his agents sitting down with John Idzik or Woody Johnson.

They did have the opportunity. They didn't want to pay. And now they have no corners and tons of cap space

in general this article is kinda homerish. "Hey let's see how Milliner and Allen do this year before we bash them" well Milliner's high ankle sprain will likely linger through the first quarter of the season. And Allen is already concussed. So yeah. That's how they are doing. 

The Jets took on a lot of risk at the CB position this year. They were depending on Milliner to be a #1 CB, and they were hoping (expecting?) a third round pick would be starting by mid-season. There was a lot of hope & prayer going on there. I like Milliner a lot, and I was also expecting him to step into the #1 job this year, but they had the opportunity to sign a #1 (or at least a solid #2 type) in free agency this year, and solidify the position for years inexpensively (Milliner on his rookie deal + one high end contract). Offering up another million a year for Davis wouldn't've broken the bank.

Now, they're in very bad shape with McDougle out for the year (and likely hobbling a bit next year, too), and Milliner coming off a high ankle sprain - which is the kind of injury that can last all season if not given time to completely heal. With Milliner, they're in a tough spot. They can't afford to be without him, and they can't afford for him to be less than 100%. Even when he comes back, the opposite side will be questionable all season.

Can Rex coach around it? Probably, maybe. The DL is strong. After that, they're relying on improved play from the LBs and Pryor being an enforcer from day one. And Milliner being the guy from the last month of last season.

Forget DRC; if they close with Davis, this is a non-issue.

The Jets took on a lot of risk at the CB position this year. They were depending on Milliner to be a #1 CB, and they were hoping (expecting?) a third round pick would be starting by mid-season. There was a lot of hope & prayer going on there. I like Milliner a lot, and I was also expecting him to step into the #1 job this year, but they had the opportunity to sign a #1 (or at least a solid #2 type) in free agency this year, and solidify the position for years inexpensively (Milliner on his rookie deal + one high end contract). Offering up another million a year for Davis wouldn't've broken the bank.

Now, they're in very bad shape with McDougle out for the year (and likely hobbling a bit next year, too), and Milliner coming off a high ankle sprain - which is the kind of injury that can last all season if not given time to completely heal. With Milliner, they're in a tough spot. They can't afford to be without him, and they can't afford for him to be less than 100%. Even when he comes back, the opposite side will be questionable all season.

Can Rex coach around it? Probably, maybe. The DL is strong. After that, they're relying on improved play from the LBs and Pryor being an enforcer from day one. And Milliner being the guy from the last month of last season.

Forget DRC; if they close with Davis, this is a non-issue.

What makes you think they were so close on Davis?  It seemed he was just looking to go back to the Colts.  I think there were some reports he took less to do so.  I'm not in love with DRC, Flowers or Cromartie, so I don't have a huge problem with the rest though I am starting to get a nice hate on for Patterson. 

What makes you think they were so close on Davis?  It seemed he was just looking to go back to the Colts.  I think there were some reports he took less to do so.  I'm not in love with DRC, Flowers or Cromartie, so I don't have a huge problem with the rest though I am starting to get a nice hate on for Patterson.

They talked awhile. He was the guy who best fit what they want from their CBs. His deal includes a $6M roster bonus next year. The Jets had a ton of cap room this year, and could've gotten him a lot of that money a year earlier and given him a little more overall. With a guy on his rookie deal on the opposite side, the overall expense at CB would've still been inexpensive.

Definitely think it was doable, and that the Idzik was too cheap to get it done meme fits well here.

They talked awhile. He was the guy who best fit what they want from their CBs. His deal includes a $6M roster bonus next year. The Jets had a ton of cap room this year, and could've gotten him a lot of that money a year earlier and given him a little more overall. With a guy on his rookie deal on the opposite side, the overall expense at CB would've still been inexpensive.

Definitely think it was doable, and that the Idzik was too cheap to get it done meme fits well here.

That is a new narrative for me.  They talked to him during the early window and as soon as he could he signed back with the Colts. There was talk that Idzik got played, but none that he was too cheap.  People didn't start getting mad until he failed to go after Verner, but there were plenty of reports Verner was a bad fit.  

That is a new narrative for me.  They talked to him during the early window and as soon as he could he signed back with the Colts. There was talk that Idzik got played, but none that he was too cheap.  People didn't start getting mad until he failed to go after Verner, but there were plenty of reports Verner was a bad fit.

He was their primary target at the position and after that they didn't appear to have much of a plan. It's possible that Davis just wanted to use the Jets for leverage against the team he really wanted to play for, but they were talking, and the Jets had more than enough cap room to blow him away with an offer of big upfront money. He signed for four years, $39M. If Idzik offered him another $3M or 4M overall on the same contract, with all of it coming this year, you don't think that would've been enough enticement to get him to come over? Especially playing for Rex, in this system, where he'd likely become a big star in a big market?

Very doable, IMHO.

I dont think they had a legitimate shot at any of the big name FA CB's this offseason (Revis, Talib, Davis).  Other than maybe retaining Cro, which clearly they wanted nothing to do with for whatever reason (health or play or lockerroom presence, who knows) and I dont really think that others that they "missed" out on, really make that big of difference.  DRC is nothing special.  He really isnt.  And the dude contemplated retiring.  Sorry, I just dont think he's some big loss.

Could they have done more?  Sure.  Every team can always do more...but I really dont think the Jets missed or had a shot on a player that really solidifies the secondary in any way.

You could make the argument that right now Walls is a better CB than Cro, especially given that Rex should be able to design schemes around a guy like him.  The main problem with Walls seems to be his ball skills more than his coverage technique...

But if Patterson was the stop gap and that experiment seemed not to work out.. we need not to just roll into the season with four safeties , over 10 million in cap space and a prayer that Rex can "hide" the CB's .. Work the phones Izzy don't just do a stop gap but do something smart.. there's got to be something out there with the next cut looming..aka Mankins

Good article.

I think it's fair to criticize the Patterson move. The guy has the ability to play the position well, but if he disappeared for a few days because he wasn't happy with the playing time he was getting, then he's nothing more than a whiny bitch.

I don't have a problem with Idzik refusing to overpay in free agency. For once we have an adult managing the cap. But they should have done a little more research on Patterson's attitude.

One final note – Can we stop with the “Jets had opportunity at Darrelle Revis and passed on him this offseason” articles?” This completely misconstrues the situation. Look at the relationship between the Tampa and New England front office. Revis went directly to New England after being released with a contract ready to roll for him. There was never high level discussions between TEAM REVIS and the Jets organization. Revis’ manager texting Manish Mehta or Jason Cole doesn’t equate to his agents sitting down with John Idzik or Woody Johnson.

I want to make sweet love to this writer down by the fire

sweet sweet love

Good article.

I think it's fair to criticize the Patterson move. The guy has the ability to play the position well, but if he disappeared for a few days because he wasn't happy with the playing time he was getting, then he's nothing more than a whiny bitch.

I don't have a problem with Idzik refusing to overpay in free agency. For once we have an adult managing the cap. But they should have done a little more research on Patterson's attitude.

Agree - very level headed. As you said don't have a problem not overpaying these FA guys. Idzik has a plan and part of that plan is not overpaying players for the now which alternatively only leads to future cap problems and ability to resign their home grown talent. Some people have a problem with that which I can understand but Idzik is laying the foundation for the Jets both financially and in attitude. There will be no more Revis redux.

Idzik- it seems - is too transparent in negotiations because he seems to sit them down and present his numbers, then they go somewhere else , get a little more and sign. He ought to say "Talk to everyone else, then come talk to me." That would seems a better negotiating ploy than being used as someone who puts his numbers out there and then gets dissed.

You could make the argument that right now Walls is a better CB than Cro, especially given that Rex should be able to design schemes around a guy like him.  The main problem with Walls seems to be his ball skills more than his coverage technique...

Walls, Wilson and Lankster all seem more slot CB's than outside guys. I would not be comfortable with any of those guys on the field at all - especially Wilson, but hell it's Rex's job to lose and you all know how I feel about that.

Idzik- it seems - is too transparent in negotiations because he seems to sit them down and present his numbers, then they go somewhere else , get a little more and sign. He ought to say "Talk to everyone else, then come talk to me." That would seems a better negotiating ploy than being used as someone who puts his numbers out there and then gets dissed.

the risk there is they "don't leave the building" at the other visit and you strike out.  he has signed a ton of players, he just gets scared of making big mistakes I think

lemme boil it down for ya

the rookie they drafted to grow into the role behind a hold the fort guy got hurt, and the hold the fort guy is a loon

either one of those doesn't happen and we're bitching about the o-line instead

this is more fun, o-line is boring

One final note – Can we stop with the “Jets had opportunity at Darrelle Revis and passed on him this offseason” articles?” This completely misconstrues the situation. Look at the relationship between the Tampa and New England front office. Revis went directly to New England after being released with a contract ready to roll for him. There was never high level discussions between TEAM REVIS and the Jets organization. Revis’ manager texting Manish Mehta or Jason Cole doesn’t equate to his agents sitting down with John Idzik or Woody Johnson.

I want to make sweet love to this writer down by the fire

sweet sweet love

this is total horsesh*t.  

I believe that Revis wanted to be in NY.    First, no coach increases his market value like Rex.  Rex gives him the ability to match up vs #1 wr's and then telling everyone who will listen how Revis is the best defensive player in the league.   Additionally, NY is instant off-field marketing opportunities which have dried up since he left town.   In NE he's not Brady so nobody really cares about him.   In NY he's the best player on the team and was beloved by the fans.  

Revis signed for $13M, the Jets have $21M cap space sitting unused.    Revis goes to the highest bidder so I am pretty sure $14M gets it done.  

THe reason the Jets didn't call Revis was personal.   Woody didn't want the drama and had a bad taste from his previous dealings so frankly I understand the reluctance.  

$14M for one season is a lot of cash.    The Jets could have had DRC 3 yrs / $24M.    And don't start with the whole "he's a bad fit" nonsense.  Why bother bringing him in for a visit if they weren't interested?    The same can be said for Davis.   Idzik misinterpreted the market on CB's this off-season and that was before the mega deals were signed.  

They did have the opportunity. They didn't want to pay. And now they have no corners and tons of cap space

in general this article is kinda homerish. "Hey let's see how Milliner and Allen do this year before we bash them" well Milliner's high ankle sprain will likely linger through the first quarter of the season. And Allen is already concussed. So yeah. That's how they are doing. 

High Ankle sprains tend to get aggravated over and over through out the season. Funny thing is we don't even know if Milliner is the real deal or a piece of crap at this stage anyhow

High Ankle sprains tend to get aggravated over and over through out the season. Funny thing is we don't even know if Milliner is the real deal or a piece of crap at this stage anyhow

It is not a high ankle sprain -- that was simply the initial speculation.  

Cimini and most of the others have continued reporting it as a high ankle sprain.  I think the whole "high ankle sprain" thing is blown out of proportion.  They can still range from very severe to not such a big deal. 

The last credible report was a day or two after the injury and stated that there was too much swelling for an MRI.  Nothing official since then - they just continued to run with the high ankle sprain after that.  Milliner would be nowhere near ready for week 2 with even a moderately severe high ankle sprain. 

yeah, I can see how a sprained ankle could be problematic when you are trying to guard quick, cutting wide receivers - unless you are strictly running straight ahead and not cutting (that is, unless you are guarding Stephen Hill), coming off a sprained ankle for a cornerback is a nightmare.

The last credible report was a day or two after the injury and stated that there was too much swelling for an MRI.  Nothing official since then - they just continued to run with the high ankle sprain after that.  Milliner would be nowhere near ready for week 2 with even a moderately severe high ankle sprain.

Without actually quoting him, there was an article last week on Cimini's blog called, "Ryan confirms high-ankle sprain for Milliner."

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/41879/ryan-confirms-high-ankle-sprain-for-milliner

Without actually quoting him, there was an article last week on Cimini's blog called, "Ryan confirms high-ankle sprain for Milliner."

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/41879/ryan-confirms-high-ankle-sprain-for-milliner

Rex -- the paragon of detailed information and accuracy.   The "high ankle sprain" is the new "sports hernia" in terms of ubiquity.

Archived