Hey, does anybody know whats going on with this JI/Scout thing?

BP

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ive been drinking so I didn't read very far but scout.com blows and until Max bans me this is a much better site. I don't need to waist booze money to be cool. Here the mod lounge is the only private forum and ESPN is about to do a report on how they don't take showers with us normals anyway.

Hey max, aren't those the same people that wanted to buy this place?

Yes, Scout.com contacted us in April or May, it was before the draft. I met with them in NYC to hear their pitch. They said they wanted to buy JetNation or partner with us, the choice was ours. During the pitch I met with the head of technology in NY, the guy that heads up the publisher program and the VP of Marketing - he was from the UK. They were very complimentary and they have an amazing group of talented people who had clearly done their homework. When I went in there they said they wanted JetNation because it was the best Jets site, they loved our content and the message board.

But when they explained their vision it wasn't anything I was open to even partnering with them on.  It just wasn't for us, their pitch was 100% money related. They asked me to sign a Non Disclosure Agreement so we could talk further and they could make an offer. But I thanked them and said we weren't interested. I didn't need to see an offer to know that this was wrong for us. They use their own forum software and they don't convert old posts, they just leave them as an archive if you want. I had a bunch of other concerns as well. They have a marketing staff of over 40 people and they basically run your Twitter and Facebook for you. The thought of someone potentially tweeting trying to sell a jersey after a tough Jets loss wasn't real appealing either. :)

Good group of people, just not for us.

You probably could have had the nanny year round, not just the summer.

It definitely would have been profitable. They host the server for you and you use their software. So that eliminates all hosting and 3rd party fees. All that stuff costs us close to $600 per month here right now. But you lose all control. And you have to sell VIP Memberships. My kids are almost grown, we have gotten this far without a nanny so we should be okay, lol.

It definitely would have been profitable. They host the server for you and you use their software. So that eliminates all hosting and 3rd party fees. All that stuff costs us close to $600 per month here right now. But you lose all control. And you have to sell VIP Memberships. My kids are almost grown, we have gotten this far without a nanny so we should be okay, lol.

15 years building your brand, and you sell out for what? 25k, tops?

15 years building your brand, and you sell out for what? 25k, tops?

I have no idea. I didn't sign the NDA, so they never made a money offer to us. If I had to guess I would say that they signed a partnership with ji.  They probably didn't exchange a lot of money and in return scout promised them to increase traffic and monetize the site. They have several revenue streams available including fantasy football, higher CPM on ad sales, outings at Buffalo Wild Wings etc. 

A large part of the pitch was the rev split on the VIP Memberships. They mentioned an NFC site that is crushing it with those memberships. But I really don't see that working for the Jets. There are so many ways to get information, why do people have to buy VIP? It really doesn't make sense to me.

Even if I thought it was a good idea (which I didn't) the thought of all you guys driving to my house to punch me in the face every morning was another deterrent.

To all of the newly displaced forum posters, you should consider posting here. Great group of Jets fans, we don't take things too seriously and this is a fun place (in my humble and unbiased opinion). :)

Click Register. You won't regret it. 

Yes, Scout.com contacted us in April or May, it was before the draft. I met with them in NYC to hear their pitch. They said they wanted to buy JetNation or partner with us, the choice was ours. During the pitch I met with the head of technology in NY, the guy that heads up the publisher program and the VP of Marketing - he was from the UK. They were very complimentary and they have an amazing group of talented people who had clearly done their homework. When I went in there they said they wanted JetNation because it was the best Jets site, they loved our content and the message board.

But when they explained their vision it wasn't anything I was open to even partnering with them on.  It just wasn't for us, their pitch was 100% money related. They asked me to sign a Non Disclosure Agreement so we could talk further and they could make an offer. But I thanked them and said we weren't interested. I didn't need to see an offer to know that this was wrong for us. They use their own forum software and they don't convert old posts, they just leave them as an archive if you want. I had a bunch of other concerns as well. They have a marketing staff of over 40 people and they basically run your Twitter and Facebook for you. The thought of someone potentially tweeting trying to sell a jersey after a tough Jets loss wasn't real appealing either. :)

Good group of people, just not for us.

Where did they take you for the pitch?

I have no idea. I didn't sign the NDA, so they never made a money offer to us. If I had to guess I would say that they signed a partnership with ji.  They probably didn't exchange a lot of money and in return scout promised them to increase traffic and monetize the site. They have several revenue streams available including fantasy football, higher CPM on ad sales, outings at Buffalo Wild Wings etc. 

A large part of the pitch was the rev split on the VIP Memberships. They mentioned an NFC site that is crushing it with those memberships. But I really don't see that working for the Jets. There are so many ways to get information, why do people have to buy VIP? It really doesn't make sense to me.

Even if I thought it was a good idea (which I didn't) the thought of all you guys driving to my house to punch me in the face every morning was another deterrent.

So all of their posts are going to be archived?

Would you have been able to keep creative control?

Where did they take you for the pitch?

They have an office in Rockefeller Center. I went there late in the afternoon the day before the draft.  It was pretty cool actually because of all the football fans lined up in the streets going nuts.

So all of their posts are going to be archived?

Would you have been able to keep creative control?

I asked the head of technology in NY about the forums. My exact question was: What forum software do you use vBulletin, XenForo or Invision Power Board?

He replied, none we use our own home grown software. That is what let's them keep track of the members as the go from site to site. That is what let's them do mass emails based on your team affiliations. I said if they have converted Invision Power Board sites before. I was told no, they don't convert anything. They start the forum new and you can put your old forum up as an archive as you want.  I took that to mean they wouldn't be searchable by member. What I mean is I don't think if you post on the new forum and search that persons posts, it won't show all of their historical posts.

Creative control -- you still retain that on content with one exception. A lot of your content has to be VIP only. And they said in the contract they want a committment on video. They told me they want each site to commit to doing a video per day (that seemed like a lot to me) but they want that because they can place ads in the videos at a much higher rate than normal ads.

Again, this was a really smart group of people. Talented people who have been successful. But this business model really just isn't for us. Different goals I guess.

Gosh, I hope Sooth can afford to feed his kids now.

Scout.com also consumed one of the fantasy sites I usually get some good content from, FFtoolbox.com. I would imagine that the only real value they get from JI acquisition is teh Hampur. Good dootz jokes and clique humor is hard to come by.

They have an office in Rockefeller Center. I went there late in the afternoon the day before the draft. It was pretty cool actually because of all the football fans lined up in the streets going nuts.

Are you serious? Who owns Scout.com? I don't get the value of crap on the internet.

Gosh, I hope Sooth can afford to feed his kids now.

Scout.com also consumed one of the fantasy sites I usually get some good content from, FFtoolbox.com. I would imagine that the only real value they get from JI acquisition is teh Hampur. Good dootz jokes and clique humor is hard to come by.

They really seemed interested in the # of members, for email marketing. They have a very serious financial backing, they are going to be acquiring a ton of sites (either purchases or partnerships). They want to be the # 1 site visited by males within two years. They have very big goals.

Are you serious? Who owns Scout.com? I don't get the value of crap on the internet.

November 18, 2013 (New York, NY)—NAMG (North American Membership Group) CEO James Heckman today announced the acquisition of Scout.com from Fox Networks Group. Following the acquisition, both companies will merge to create a new digital media network focused primarily on male enthusiasts, which will operate as Scout Media, Inc. (Scout).

So, we're not going to BWW?

They really seemed interested in the # of members, for email marketing. They have a very serious financial backing, they are going to be acquiring a ton of sites (either purchases or partnerships). They want to be the # 1 site visited by males within two years. They have very big goals.

Just think how many twitter followers he can buy now.

The whine-fest in the JI thread is priceless, btw. 

Only in the warped mind of a degenerate moron is being told not to curse the equivalent of stifled creativity. Hilarious.

After all of the conflict we've had this off-season, it's nice to be able to hold hands/sing kumbaya with you and just watch the incoming train wreck that's about to happen over there. #Changewecanbelievein

Come on now, I am sure as an owner of a forum in this space you do have a ballpark idea of the worth of such a platform and metrics used to come to valuation.

That said wish you the best.

Archived