•  

Welcome to JetNation.com

Sign In  Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

Create Account
Welcome to JetNation.com, your home for New York Jets talk. We are an independent site, which means we aren't affiliated with the NY Jets or SNY. The opinions here are never censored. We want you to join in on the conversation, but don't worry this is a simple and FREE process. Be apart of JetNation.com by signing in or creating an account. When you create an account, you can also opt to use your existing Facebook or Twitter login.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
Also be sure to check us out on Facebook and Twitter.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Hey, does anybody know whats going on with this JI/Scout thing?

• Please log in to reply
1523 replies to this topic

#1 BP

BP

• Members
  • 21,430 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 09:35 PM

HUGE NEWS: JetsInsider.com joining Scout.com National Network
On behalf of the entire JetsInsider.com team I have some very exciting news to report. Starting in September we will be joining forces with Scout.com and their National network.

JetsInsider.com will remain basically the same with the exception that we will be moving the site and messageboards to the Scout.com National platform.

After being an independent fan site for so many years, this was a very difficult decision for me but based on the direction that Scout.com is going and after meeting with some top people in their organization, I felt it was the time to make the switch. In a nutshell, I thought the upside to our users was huge versus very little downside.

In addition to the regular content we have been providing for over 15 years, we will now have the ability to offer much more to our users with additional writen and video content from our team as well as Scout.com’s experts, analysis and resources. Also, being part of a national NFL network we will have weekly content and contributions from the other sites in the network that represent the teams we are playing on a weekly basis. We will also have access to exclusive coverage of all NFL events including the owner’s meetings, combine and draft.

All of our VIP members will migrate as a premium member to the new site and their expiration dates will transfer to Scout. We will also be bringing our premium forums on the new site to a different level by dropping daily inside scoops there for every fan that is truly obsessed with Gang Green. We will also invite other Scout publishers and NFL experts to share their thoughts with you. In addition, if you are a premium member you get access to all premium content across the entire Scout.com network. For example, if you love Notre Dame, Syracuse or Rutgers Football… if you are a Mets or Yankees Fan, you will have access to all of their premium content as well! Scout.com offers a wide variety of websites for almost everyone, even hunting and fishing!

Scout is also working on many great bonus features that will be beneficial to our users. One said feature is a rewards program for our members where you'll accumulate points based on your posts, people liking your posts, and you sharing our stories or great posts on Facebook or Twitter. This is just one of many examples that Scout is working on to help promote a fun, energetic fan-based website!

While we are excited about the change and the benefits it will bring out readers, it certainly was not an easy decision to make.

Since 1999 we have built JetsInsider.com into the top website for Jets fans to get information and interact with each other. During that time there have been many imitators who have tried and failed to top us. While we have tremendous pride of our accomplishments, including our great working relationship with the NY Jets and being the only fan-based Jets website who is fully credentialed with the team, we are confident that joining forces with a nationally-syndicated website like Scout will help take us to a whole new level.

As we embark on this new endeavor I’d like to take this opportunity to let our users know how grateful I am for your continued support. I’d also like to thank the many talented people behind the scenes who contributed in building the site to where it is today. If you went back 15 years when I created JetsInsider as a diehard Jets fan on a rainy Sunday in May of 1999 and told me where the site would be today, I’d say you were nuts. To be where we are now and have this opportunity partner with an excellent organization like Scout.com is truly humbling. We promise going forward we will continue to be the best NY Jets fan website on the internet.

Best,

Sean Deegan

ITINERARY FOR TRANSITION: While we migrate the JI to Scout, our plan is to keep both sites running concurrently until the entire migration is complete.

FRONT PAGE: We will start to post daily content to Scout.com’s front page starting immediately and plan to shut down JI’s front page as soon as we migrate the content and feel comfortable that the page looks good and is working appropriately for the writers and the users.

MESSAGEBOARD (please read carefully if you post): The Scout.com messageboard software is similar to vbulletin but is different. We are going to migrate all users and post counts to the new site. When this is complete I will let everyone know. Since passwords are private every user will be emailed a link to set their new password. After you do this you will be able to post on the new board. They are in the process of upgrading their software so we won’t immediately be able to migrate old posts. This is something we will be working on going forward. I will continue to keep both boards open until I feel comfortable that everyone has migrated with no problems. If you do have a problem, email me at sdeegan@jetsinsider.com and I will take care of the problem personally. Thanks for your support and patience during this move. I assure you in the long term it will be worth any inconvenience.

http://www.jetsinsid...ational-Network

Theres even an itinerary, how impressive.

Larz, on 07 Sept 2014 - 6:38 PM, said: I just can't let hypocrisy go unchallenged

#2 dbatesman

dbatesman

John Idzik Jizz Patrol

• Members
  • 8,574 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 09:42 PM

Scout.com is dogsh*t.

This is like having a cat with leukemia.

#3 BP

BP

• Members
  • 21,430 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 09:45 PM

Scout.com is dogsh*t.

Oh my goodness gracious. heavens to mergatroid.

Larz, on 07 Sept 2014 - 6:38 PM, said: I just can't let hypocrisy go unchallenged

#4 Matt39

Matt39

master knows all except combination to safe

• Members
  • 21,897 posts
  • LocationDel Boca Vista Phase III

Posted 27 August 2014 - 09:48 PM

POPULAR

Oh my goodness gracious. heavens to mergatroid.

67683643_85e6cb610b.jpg

#5 BroadwayJoe12

BroadwayJoe12

JN's Rust Cohle

• Members
  • 8,492 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 10:01 PM

"Top people."

#6 JoeC36

JoeC36

JetNation's Keeper Of The Anals

• Moderators
  • 11,704 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 10:16 PM

Hey max, aren't those the same people that wanted to buy this place?

289 Time Post of the Week Loser

#7 Thor99

Thor99

Making friends since 1970

• Moderators
  • 18,589 posts
  • LocationLeland, NC

Posted 27 August 2014 - 10:17 PM

You probably could have had the nanny year round, not just the summer.
Look at me
I'm a tangled puppet
I might be a mess
But I sure can survive

#8 SayNoToDMC

SayNoToDMC

In search of terminally ill online girlfriend

• Members
  • 6,584 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 10:27 PM

Ive been drinking so I didn't read very far but scout.com blows and until Max bans me this is a much better site. I don't need to waist booze money to be cool. Here the mod lounge is the only private forum and ESPN is about to do a report on how they don't take showers with us normals anyway.

28ad228d-4df6-4b64-b890-b5246112bd82.jpg

#9 stoicsentry

stoicsentry

Not Really Stoic

• Writers \ Bloggers
  • 8,667 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 10:28 PM

All of our VIP members

our premium forums

WTF?

#10 Maxman

Maxman

Mr. Jet Nation

• Administrators
  • 58,528 posts
  • LocationJN Server Room

Posted 27 August 2014 - 10:36 PM

Hey max, aren't those the same people that wanted to buy this place?

Yes, Scout.com contacted us in April or May, it was before the draft. I met with them in NYC to hear their pitch. They said they wanted to buy JetNation or partner with us, the choice was ours. During the pitch I met with the head of technology in NY, the guy that heads up the publisher program and the VP of Marketing - he was from the UK. They were very complimentary and they have an amazing group of talented people who had clearly done their homework. When I went in there they said they wanted JetNation because it was the best Jets site, they loved our content and the message board.

But when they explained their vision it wasn't anything I was open to even partnering with them on.  It just wasn't for us, their pitch was 100% money related. They asked me to sign a Non Disclosure Agreement so we could talk further and they could make an offer. But I thanked them and said we weren't interested. I didn't need to see an offer to know that this was wrong for us. They use their own forum software and they don't convert old posts, they just leave them as an archive if you want. I had a bunch of other concerns as well. They have a marketing staff of over 40 people and they basically run your Twitter and Facebook for you. The thought of someone potentially tweeting trying to sell a jersey after a tough Jets loss wasn't real appealing either. :)

Good group of people, just not for us.

The largest independent community of NY Jets fans on the web. Visit our blog, Facebook page and Twitter.

#11 Maxman

Maxman

Mr. Jet Nation

• Administrators
  • 58,528 posts
  • LocationJN Server Room

Posted 27 August 2014 - 10:38 PM

You probably could have had the nanny year round, not just the summer.

It definitely would have been profitable. They host the server for you and you use their software. So that eliminates all hosting and 3rd party fees. All that stuff costs us close to $600 per month here right now. But you lose all control. And you have to sell VIP Memberships. My kids are almost grown, we have gotten this far without a nanny so we should be okay, lol.

The largest independent community of NY Jets fans on the web. Visit our blog, Facebook page and Twitter.

#12 #27TheDominator

#27TheDominator

Forza Rhinos!

• Members
  • 27,464 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 10:38 PM

WTF?

375-2284-large.jpg

by Angel crazy with over 3000 post some day 

#13 Thor99

Thor99

• Moderators
  • 18,589 posts
  • LocationLeland, NC

Posted 27 August 2014 - 10:42 PM

It definitely would have been profitable. They host the server for you and you use their software. So that eliminates all hosting and 3rd party fees. All that stuff costs us close to $600 per month here right now. But you lose all control. And you have to sell VIP Memberships. My kids are almost grown, we have gotten this far without a nanny so we should be okay, lol.

15 years building your brand, and you sell out for what? 25k, tops?
Look at me
I'm a tangled puppet
I might be a mess
But I sure can survive

#14 Maxman

Maxman

Mr. Jet Nation

• Administrators
  • 58,528 posts
  • LocationJN Server Room

Posted 27 August 2014 - 10:52 PM

15 years building your brand, and you sell out for what? 25k, tops?

I have no idea. I didn't sign the NDA, so they never made a money offer to us. If I had to guess I would say that they signed a partnership with ji.  They probably didn't exchange a lot of money and in return scout promised them to increase traffic and monetize the site. They have several revenue streams available including fantasy football, higher CPM on ad sales, outings at Buffalo Wild Wings etc. 

A large part of the pitch was the rev split on the VIP Memberships. They mentioned an NFC site that is crushing it with those memberships. But I really don't see that working for the Jets. There are so many ways to get information, why do people have to buy VIP? It really doesn't make sense to me.

Even if I thought it was a good idea (which I didn't) the thought of all you guys driving to my house to punch me in the face every morning was another deterrent.

#15 Maxman

Maxman

Mr. Jet Nation

• Administrators
  • 58,528 posts
  • LocationJN Server Room

Posted 27 August 2014 - 10:53 PM

To all of the newly displaced forum posters, you should consider posting here. Great group of Jets fans, we don't take things too seriously and this is a fun place (in my humble and unbiased opinion). :)

Click Register. You won't regret it. 

#16 SayNoToDMC

SayNoToDMC

• Members
  • 6,584 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 10:55 PM

Yes, Scout.com contacted us in April or May, it was before the draft. I met with them in NYC to hear their pitch. They said they wanted to buy JetNation or partner with us, the choice was ours. During the pitch I met with the head of technology in NY, the guy that heads up the publisher program and the VP of Marketing - he was from the UK. They were very complimentary and they have an amazing group of talented people who had clearly done their homework. When I went in there they said they wanted JetNation because it was the best Jets site, they loved our content and the message board.

But when they explained their vision it wasn't anything I was open to even partnering with them on.  It just wasn't for us, their pitch was 100% money related. They asked me to sign a Non Disclosure Agreement so we could talk further and they could make an offer. But I thanked them and said we weren't interested. I didn't need to see an offer to know that this was wrong for us. They use their own forum software and they don't convert old posts, they just leave them as an archive if you want. I had a bunch of other concerns as well. They have a marketing staff of over 40 people and they basically run your Twitter and Facebook for you. The thought of someone potentially tweeting trying to sell a jersey after a tough Jets loss wasn't real appealing either. :)

Good group of people, just not for us.

Where did they take you for the pitch?

#17 JoeC36

JoeC36

JetNation's Keeper Of The Anals

• Moderators
  • 11,704 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 10:59 PM

HunkOMania

289 Time Post of the Week Loser

#18 SayNoToDMC

SayNoToDMC

• Members
  • 6,584 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 11:04 PM

HunkOMania

If that where the case it'd be sold already. Im thinking they ****ed up and went classy.

#19 stoicsentry

stoicsentry

Not Really Stoic

• Writers \ Bloggers
  • 8,667 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 11:09 PM

I'm sorry, I still can't wrap my mind around the concept of paying to post on a Jets forum. That's crazy. Speaking of crazy, think of how crazy the people that post here are already. Now think of how crazy you have to be to pay for that.

#20 Thor99

Thor99

• Moderators
  • 18,589 posts
  • LocationLeland, NC

Posted 27 August 2014 - 11:10 PM

I have no idea. I didn't sign the NDA, so they never made a money offer to us. If I had to guess I would say that they signed a partnership with ji.  They probably didn't exchange a lot of money and in return scout promised them to increase traffic and monetize the site. They have several revenue streams available including fantasy football, higher CPM on ad sales, outings at Buffalo Wild Wings etc. 

A large part of the pitch was the rev split on the VIP Memberships. They mentioned an NFC site that is crushing it with those memberships. But I really don't see that working for the Jets. There are so many ways to get information, why do people have to buy VIP? It really doesn't make sense to me.

Even if I thought it was a good idea (which I didn't) the thought of all you guys driving to my house to punch me in the face every morning was another deterrent.

So all of their posts are going to be archived?

Would you have been able to keep creative control?
Look at me
I'm a tangled puppet
I might be a mess
But I sure can survive

#21 Maxman

Maxman

Mr. Jet Nation

• Administrators
  • 58,528 posts
  • LocationJN Server Room

Posted 27 August 2014 - 11:12 PM

They have an office in Rockefeller Center. I went there late in the afternoon the day before the draft.  It was pretty cool actually because of all the football fans lined up in the streets going nuts.

#22 Maxman

Maxman

Mr. Jet Nation

• Administrators
  • 58,528 posts
  • LocationJN Server Room

Posted 27 August 2014 - 11:20 PM

So all of their posts are going to be archived?

Would you have been able to keep creative control?

I asked the head of technology in NY about the forums. My exact question was: What forum software do you use vBulletin, XenForo or Invision Power Board?

He replied, none we use our own home grown software. That is what let's them keep track of the members as the go from site to site. That is what let's them do mass emails based on your team affiliations. I said if they have converted Invision Power Board sites before. I was told no, they don't convert anything. They start the forum new and you can put your old forum up as an archive as you want.  I took that to mean they wouldn't be searchable by member. What I mean is I don't think if you post on the new forum and search that persons posts, it won't show all of their historical posts.

Creative control -- you still retain that on content with one exception. A lot of your content has to be VIP only. And they said in the contract they want a committment on video. They told me they want each site to commit to doing a video per day (that seemed like a lot to me) but they want that because they can place ads in the videos at a much higher rate than normal ads.

Again, this was a really smart group of people. Talented people who have been successful. But this business model really just isn't for us. Different goals I guess.

#23 Maxman

Maxman

Mr. Jet Nation

• Administrators
  • 58,528 posts
  • LocationJN Server Room

Posted 27 August 2014 - 11:20 PM

If they took me there and gave me a stack of singles, you guys would most likely all be creating new user accounts right now, lol.

#24 Integrity28

Integrity28

I love it when Idzik's plan comes together.

• Members
  • 33,508 posts
  • Locationwrong guy in the wrong place at the wrong time

Posted 27 August 2014 - 11:22 PM

Gosh, I hope Sooth can afford to feed his kids now.

Scout.com also consumed one of the fantasy sites I usually get some good content from, FFtoolbox.com. I would imagine that the only real value they get from JI acquisition is teh Hampur. Good dootz jokes and clique humor is hard to come by.

"Idz a process."

Posted Image

#25 SayNoToDMC

SayNoToDMC

• Members
  • 6,584 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 11:30 PM

They have an office in Rockefeller Center. I went there late in the afternoon the day before the draft. It was pretty cool actually because of all the football fans lined up in the streets going nuts.

Are you serious? Who owns Scout.com? I don't get the value of crap on the internet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users