Hey, does anybody know whats going on with this JI/Scout thing?

BP

After all of the conflict we've had this off-season, it's nice to be able to hold hands/sing kumbaya with you and just watch the incoming train wreck that's about to happen over there. #Changewecanbelievein

Hey man, I'm just giving you the tough love you need. You'll realize it eventually.

And yeah, I love this... 

We're all Jets fans. If everyone has a positive attitude it will work fine. 

Just a note...we have over 20,000 members, average between 600-1200 users at any given time and have accumulated over 5MM posts in the past decade. Rarely do we have to moderate. Our community for the most part polices itself and that's why we've been the most successful Jets and one of the most successful NFL boards for years. Don't knock it. It works and our community of Jets fans is robust. 

How can so much hypocrisy be jammed into one short paragraph?

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Come on now, I am sure as an owner of a forum in this space you do have a ballpark idea of the worth of such a platform and metrics used to come to valuation.

That said wish you the best.

JI is worth 100x JN.

So, $37.

Just think how many twitter followers he can buy now.

LOL - the number seems to have gone back down after I tweeted that.

Sean has been doing this for 15 plus years. I know I bust his balls a lot, but I have a lot of respect for the site that he built. We just didn't always see eye to eye. That said, I do think he is going to alienate a lot of his long time members with this move.

Hey man, I'm just giving you the tough love you need. You'll realize it eventually.

20 years of Mets/Jets/Knicks/Isles fandom. I was bound to snap some time. Like DeNiro in Taxi Driver. It's a miracle I held out as long as I did, really. But then, that's what's made my meltdown so severe.

How can so much hypocrisy be jammed into one short paragraph?

"Robust" community? LOL.

Also, again, who the **** pays to post on a Jets forum? SMH...

once he gives jay mohr his cut, sooth walks away with $10 and a bucket of chicken and a cell phone photo of Kevin James holding a wrinkled up t-shirt design by the Ape that got banned for wanting compensation

Fixed.

20 years of Mets/Jets/Knicks/Isles fandom. I was bound to snap some time. Like DeNiro in Taxi Driver. It's a miracle I held out as long as I did, really. But then, that's what's made my meltdown so severe.

"Robust" community? LOL.

Also, again, who the **** pays to post on a Jets forum? SMH...

I'm reading the discourse between Sooth and the original Scout.com people on that site now... it's beyond hilarious "derp derp derp if you want to resume your duties". What a goon.

Come on now, I am sure as an owner of a forum in this space you do have a ballpark idea of the worth of such a platform and metrics used to come to valuation.

That said wish you the best.

Any valuation is normally based off of earnings. But in this space it is different because they will focus on your traffic. Scout feels confident that they can monetize existing traffic better than most website owners and they can. Here when we get a $1 eCPM it is like winning the lottery. That is how much you make for every 1,000 times an ad is shown. They are planning on getting a $4 CPM and splitting it 50/50.

Video is even bigger. We do a decent amount of video here and we don't have any of our own ads in them. So basically our videos don't make any money. But they are estimating that their videos will bring in a $14 CPM, Which is also a 50.50 split. Courtney does a ton of videos here, and some of them have over 15,000 views. So I think that means by my incompetence I screwed her out of a lot of money, lol.

Also they are trying increase the amount of traffic that a site gets. By tying these sites together. But what you get the is fans of other teams, because they are only going to have one Jets site. So I am not sure they will be able to do that. The ji forums are really big, I am not sure it is realistic that they can improve upon that. But I guess if they sell VIP memberships they don't have to get more traffic to make more $.

You should have sold it. Lemon laws don't apply to websites. They definitely only looked into numbers and not the actual people here. It's the island of misfit toys. There's little marketing potential for a post game tweet, pitching jerseys.

A bit of a side note but here is a life lesson for you.  DO NOT under any circumstances tell your wife that you didn't sign a Non Disclosure Agreement that would have led to an offer, when you are in a Cancer hospital with her. Also, definitely don't mention that the company that wanted you to sign the NDA was backed by a billionaire.  One last thing not to mention to her is anything about the importance of message board integrity.

Don't ask me how I know, haha.

Any valuation is normally based off of earnings. But in this space it is different because they will focus on your traffic. Scout feels confident that they can monetize existing traffic better than most website owners and they can. Here when we get a $1 eCPM it is like winning the lottery. That is how much you make for every 1,000 times an ad is shown. They are planning on getting a $4 CPM and splitting it 50/50.

Video is even bigger. We do a decent amount of video here and we don't have any of our own ads in them. So basically our videos don't make any money. But they are estimating that their videos will bring in a $14 CPM, Which is also a 50.50 split. Courtney does a ton of videos here, and some of them have over 15,000 views. So I think that means by my incompetence I screwed her out of a lot of money, lol.

Also they are trying increase the amount of traffic that a site gets. By tying these sites together. But what you get the is fans of other teams, because they are only going to have one Jets site. So I am not sure they will be able to do that. The ji forums are really big, I am not sure it is realistic that they can improve upon that. But I guess if they sell VIP memberships they don't have to get more traffic to make more $.

would you still have had control or would you basically be a normal poster?

A bit of a side note but here is a life lesson for you.  DO NOT under any circumstances tell your wife that you didn't sign a Non Disclosure Agreement that would have led to an offer, when you are in a Cancer hospital with her. Also, definitely don't mention that the company that wanted you to sign the NDA was backed by a billionaire.  One last thing not to mention to her is anything about the importance of message board integrity.

Don't ask me how I know, haha.

HA!

I'm reading the discourse between Sooth and the original Scout.com people on that site now... it's beyond hilarious "derp derp derp if you want to resume your duties". What a goon.

I read that and I actually don't think the Scout people realized what has happened. That site wasn't independent, they were corporate owned. They had that guy Rick running it but I believe (don't quote me) that he works for Scout or he is at least compensated. 

This was never going to be a 50/50 merger. Hopefully someone explained that to them because they seemed to be under a completely different impression.

would you still have had control or would you basically be a normal poster?

I don't need "control" to be an amazing poster. Cmon man.  :)

As far as I know Scout wants nothing to do with day to day operations of the message board. As long as you are using their software and they can email the members and get them to buy merchandise, they are happy.  

I read that and I actually don't think the Scout people realized what has happened. That site wasn't independent, they were corporate owned. They had that guy Rick running it but I believe (don't quote me) that he works for Scout or he is at least compensated. 

This was never going to be a 50/50 merger. Hopefully someone explained that to them because they seemed to be under a completely different impression.

Yeah, their world just got rocked. We should go recruiting... 

I don't need "control" to be an amazing poster. Cmon man.   :)

As far as I know Scout wants nothing to do with day to day operations of the message board. As long as you are using their software and they can email the members and get them to buy merchandise, they are happy.  

Yeah, this has nothing to do with the user experience of the forums... this was a list buy. 

Yeah, this has nothing to do with the user experience of the forums... this was a list buy. 

Hysterical that you wrote that. I was going to mention that to you before because of your background. You nailed it.

Yes, Scout.com contacted us in April or May, it was before the draft. I met with them in NYC to hear their pitch. They said they wanted to buy JetNation or partner with us, the choice was ours. During the pitch I met with the head of technology in NY, the guy that heads up the publisher program and the VP of Marketing - he was from the UK. They were very complimentary and they have an amazing group of talented people who had clearly done their homework. When I went in there they said they wanted JetNation because it was the best Jets site, they loved our content and the message board.

But when they explained their vision it wasn't anything I was open to even partnering with them on. It just wasn't for us, their pitch was 100% money related. They asked me to sign a Non Disclosure Agreement so we could talk further and they could make an offer. But I thanked them and said we weren't interested. I didn't need to see an offer to know that this was wrong for us. They use their own forum software and they don't convert old posts, they just leave them as an archive if you want. I had a bunch of other concerns as well. They have a marketing staff of over 40 people and they basically run your Twitter and Facebook for you. The thought of someone potentially tweeting trying to sell a jersey after a tough Jets loss wasn't real appealing either. :)

Good group of people, just not for us.

Also this is awesome. You're a good man.

Thanks for the insightful response.

Alright - I feel like I am in a deposition here with all these questions. This session is now over, please queue up your questions and I will begin answering them at 10am in the morning.

you never answered my question about going to BWW

Archived