Could SF cut Stevie Johnson?

Sperm Edwards

Would be an interesting idea. He'd get a true chance to start here to bring up his dollars for next season (he's still only 28). Like Nelson he'd also get to tee off on the team that dumped him twice/year. And then there's that other thing that he's had some good success vs. pre-injury Revis.

From Rotoworld:

Quinton Patton ran ahead of Stevie Johnson during the 49ers' third preseason game.

The No. 3 spot behind starters Michael Crabtree and Anquan Boldin appears to be a fluid situation, with Brandon Lloyd also in the mix. There's even been speculation that Johnson and his $3.65 million salary could be a surprise cut Saturday. Patton, a 2013 fourth-round pick, has one catch for 10 yards through 78 preseason snaps. Johnson has two catches for 11 yards on 36 snaps.

Here's the actual article. Don't get your hopes up just yet.

SANTA CLARA -- The 49ers’ plan at the No. 3 receiver remains a mystery -- even, apparently, to quarterback Colin Kaepernick.

“That’ll be a coaches decision,” Kaepernick said Tuesday. “Whoever’s out there, I’ll be throwing to them.”

When asked if he likes the 49ers' options at wide receiver beyond starters Anquan Boldin and Michael Crabtree, Kaepernick answered, “Very much so.”

As the final cuts approach, Stevie Johnson, Quinton Patton, Brandon Lloyd and Bruce Ellington give the 49ers more depth than they’ve experienced in recent seasons.

Johnson, a seventh-year pro, was the overwhelming front-runner to win the No. 3 job when the 49ers acquired him from the Buffalo Bills in May for a fourth-round draft pick. Before catching 72 passes for 597 yards in 12 games last season, Johnson put together three consecutive 1,000-yard receiving seasons.

But Johnson, who is scheduled to earn $3.65 million in base salary, did not join Boldin and Crabtree with the first unit Sunday against the San Diego Chargers. Instead, Patton entered as the third receiver when Kaepernick was on the field.

Coach Jim Harbaugh said Monday he “feels good” about Johnson’s spot on the 53-man roster. And Kaepernick spoke highly of Johnson’s ability to get open.

“He’s quick,” Kaepernick said. “Not too many DBs get their hands on him. He has a great ability to create space in routes.”

Sorry for the likely false alarm. I was just reading Rotoworld's assessment, which is pretty dumb of me and I should know better by now. (~30 minutes before they announced Gordon's year-long ban was upheld, their conclusion was, "Hopefully, we'll know exactly how many games Gordon is going to miss this season before nightfall tonight. Given how long the process has taken, it's reasonable to think arbitrator Harold Henderson has been allowing the sides to negotiate some kind of settlement. That would be fantastic news for Gordon, as he's facing a one-year ban from the league. Aug 27 - 12:08 PM"

Decker

Stevie Johnson

Kerley

Nelson

Salas

Saunders

That would be nice. Pretty sure Johnson is a giant pain in the ass, though.

That's a really nice looking group.  

And most of good receivers are a pain in the ass.  So long as they aren't cancers, like Holmes was, you deal with it.

Bruce Ellington has played really well this preseason, too. IIRC, he was drafted right behind Saunders. If Johnson is expendable there, Ellington's emergence will be a big reason for it.

Could also just be a salary dump because of Patton. SF is one of the more serious contenders right now and they could use the breathing room.  Also they're about to have some major cap issues and maybe they're thinking about next year's space a bit as well.

Would be an interesting idea. He'd get a true chance to start here to bring up his dollars for next season (he's still only 28). Like Nelson he'd also get to tee off on the team that dumped him twice/year. And then there's that other thing that he's had some good success vs. pre-injury Revis.

From Rotoworld:

Quinton Patton ran ahead of Stevie Johnson during the 49ers' third preseason game.

The No. 3 spot behind starters Michael Crabtree and Anquan Boldin appears to be a fluid situation, with Brandon Lloyd also in the mix. There's even been speculation that Johnson and his $3.65 million salary could be a surprise cut Saturday. Patton, a 2013 fourth-round pick, has one catch for 10 yards through 78 preseason snaps. Johnson has two catches for 11 yards on 36 snaps.

I readthat harbaugh stated that Johnson's spot on the 53 man roster is locked in for this year. It's basically a chemistry issue that Johnson and kaep are working on. You never know though. 

I'd be good with this.  I don't think the Niners will dump him right after giving up a 4th.  I also think that I would like him but the board would hate him because he is inconsistent, drops a bunch of balls and is batsh*t crazy.

All of which is why I was very surprised when the 49er's took on his contract.  Still, adding Johnson on a cheap one year deal would be a good move for the Jets.

Even if he is released i do not see him ending up with us. If he is waived/cut right now shouldn't other teams have dibs on him first before we get to have a say.

Which is why it would be worthwhile to offer up a 7th. A 7th is more than SF would get from cutting him and then Johnson never hits the waiver wire pecking order.

Archived