Patterson says AWOL allegations are false per CBS NY

AFJF

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — Dimitri Patterson’s future with the Jets remains uncertain, but the cornerback maintains that he did absolutely nothing wrong.

According to general manager John Idzik, the veteran went AWOL for about 48 hours last week. He missed last Friday night’s preseason game against the Giants and returned to the team’s facility on Sunday night.

The 31-year-old spoke with both Idzik and head coach Rex Ryan, but no details were released about their conversations or what happened to Patterson.

But on Thursday morning, Patterson defended himself in a text message to ESPN’s Josina Anderson.

“As it relates to my whereabouts, and me missing for 48 hours without being seen or heard from me or my representative, is completely false,” Patterson wrote, according to Anderson. “My agent reached out to the Jets’ organization multiple times several hours prior to Friday night’s game. My commitment to the Jets’ organization and to my teammates has never been an issue and never will be an issue.

“As it relates to the rumors about my frustration in regards to the depth chart, (that) is totally and completely false. In nine years I have never had control over the depth chart.”

Patterson is currently suspended for the remainder of the preseason.

Signed by Idzik in April, he was expected to start opposite promising second-year player Dee Milliner in the secondary.

But in light of these recent developments, it’s conceivable that Patterson’s career with New York will end before it really started.

The Jets’ final preseason game is on Thursday night against the Eagles.

Wouldn't be surprised if they don't release him though because he's better in the slot than Wilson

They almost have to.  Teams may put up with this kind of stuff when it's  a superstar...this guy?  They gotta find a way to dump him.  It's a shame because if he was able to stay healthy, he had a chance to start on a potentially great defense.

Idzik wants to rid this team of cancers like McKnight, Sanchez,Holmes and Cromartie then he better do the same with Patterson even though he himself brought this clown in. As you guys know I'm pro Idzik but he better do what's right here. At first I was hesitant to straight up release this guy because we're so thin at corner but this is ridiculous now.

Saw a tweet saying the Jets could get his bonus back for breach of contract or whatever it was.  One less DB and more cap room...nobody would have any problems with that, would they?

Rosenhaus is a slimy sumbitch, too. He probably has a fatter deal with another team all ready to be signed on his desk already.

I also wouldn't doubt it if he's got another client on another team just waiting to be traded to the Jets and extended. 

I have no idea why you guys all seem to think he has to go, as if anything that has been said since the initial AWOL makes it worse.  We still do not know the reason, but it appears that he left and had his agent contact the team.  His absence was not excused, so he was fined and AWOL, but the fact that his rep contacted the team is in his favor IMO.  He may "have to go" but nothing that has come out has been worse than the initial story.

I have no idea why you guys all seem to think he has to go, as if anything that has been said since the initial AWOL makes it worse. We still do not know the reason, but it appears that he left and had his agent contact the team. His absence was not excused, so he was fined and AWOL, but the fact that his rep contacted the team is in his favor IMO. He may "have to go" but nothing that has come out has been worse than the initial story.

+1

I stumbled onto this site looking for potential CB replacements.  It's a great breakdown.  Shows the CB depth of EVERY team on this same page. 

I would assume that unless a team decides to keep 7 CBs on roster that any player in the 4th or 5th column would be fair game (either off the street or off the squad), and if they are rookies, there's a higher chance of someone ahead of them getting released.  

Point is, there really is hope with the mini-draft

http://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/depthchartpos/CB

I stumbled onto this site looking for potential CB replacements.  It's a great breakdown.  Shows the CB depth of EVERY team on this same page. 

I would assume that unless a team decides to keep 7 CBs on roster that any player in the 4th or 5th column would be fair game (either off the street or off the squad), and if they are rookies, there's a higher chance of someone ahead of them getting released.  

Awesome link...was trying to find something like that the other day.  Thanks for sharing.

great find. I was not kidding the other day I would not be surprised if we pick up someone from the Giants-maybe Mcbride

I have no idea why you guys all seem to think he has to go, as if anything that has been said since the initial AWOL makes it worse.  We still do not know the reason, but it appears that he left and had his agent contact the team.  His absence was not excused, so he was fined and AWOL, but the fact that his rep contacted the team is in his favor IMO.  He may "have to go" but nothing that has come out has been worse than the initial story.

So I guess you believe him. I do not. Also if his rep contacted the JETS after he went missing he has a problem.

So I guess you believe him. I do not. Also if his rep contacted the JETS after he went missing he has a problem.

What does believing him have to do with it?  People are acting like his statement makes it worse.  It doesn't.  For what it is worth, the Jets said:

He gave the Jets no warning he would leave the team, and didn't speak to anyone in the organization directly until he met with Ryan and Idzik on Sunday night at the training facility.

Not speaking to anyone directly does not contradict his agent contacting the team.  Even if his agent contacted the team, unless they authorized his absence, he is technically AWOL.  I deal with this sh*t all day.  Here are two scenarios:  Employee one just does not show up to work on Tuesday.  Employee 2 has her boyfriend call her boss and says she is taking the day off, but does not get approved leave.  They are both AWOL and subject to discipline, but employee 2 is obviously more sympathetic.  

The guy is pretty much asking for his release.  They should grant it.

At this point the suspension is the Jets organization taking their pound of flesh to keep him from shopping himself. Ryan is the ulitmate players' coach. If there was some valid ort plausible reason to not be there Friday night he would've certainly been as accomodating as he could be. He isn't helping himself by not explaining this. He hasn't said he had a car accident or a sick kid. Good luck telling such nonsense stories  to your non-NFL employer, Dim, who will be happening very soon.

At this point the suspension is the Jets organization taking their pound of flesh to keep him from shopping himself. Ryan is the ulitmate players' coach. If there was some valid ort plausible reason to not be there Friday night he would've certainly been as accomodating as he could be. He isn't helping himself by not explaining this. He hasn't said he had a car accident or a sick kid. Good luck telling such nonsense stories  to your non-NFL employer, Dim, who will be happening very soon.

I still think the dude has depression/anxiety issues and he had a panic attack or paranoia incident. .otherwise he would be dumbest asswipe in history of NFL

Why do you think Ryan is the ultimate player's coach?  I can understand saying he lets them get away with too much or is not consistent.  I can see saying he is a player's coach, but the ultimate?  There are guys that he doesn't like and I doubt they think he is a player's coach.  Gholston for one.  Possibly Coples.  Patterson certainly did not seem happy with the way Ryan kept speaking to him and then running him back on the field as he was getting burned against the Colts. 

Why do you think Ryan is the ultimate player's coach?  I can understand saying he lets them get away with too much or is not consistent.  I can see saying he is a player's coach, but the ultimate?  There are guys that he doesn't like and I doubt they think he is a player's coach.  Gholston for one.  Possibly Coples.  Patterson certainly did not seem happy with the way Ryan kept speaking to him and then running him back on the field as he was getting burned against the Colts. 

I think the perception exists because a lot of players love playing for him and there is a belief that our penalty problems exist because he doesn't hold the players accountable. He also always talks up guys to the media as well. 

If you've read the book he wrote though, he can really sh*t on people who aren't "his guys". Some of that is probably publicity for the book, but I have to think Patterson is one of those guys that has burned a bridge with him.

I think the perception exists because a lot of players love playing for him and there is a belief that our penalty problems exist because he doesn't hold the players accountable. He also always talks up guys to the media as well. 

If you've read the book he wrote though, he can really sh*t on people who aren't "his guys". Some of that is probably publicity for the book, but I have to think Patterson is one of those guys that has burned a bridge with him.

Yeah.

You're not kidding about pereption on the penalty problems.  The team does not even have a penalty problem.  They were pretty bad last year, but they were still middle of the pack and previously they had been pretty good.  The team added some guys that historically get a bunch of penalties in Giacomini and Colon.  Winters is another guy that it is obvious would have penalty issues.  Hopefully, that will improve.  If the Jets got Incognito the board would blame Rex for his penalties. 

As for the rest of you post, that is how I see it.  Rex seems extremely loyal and if guys are "his guys" they might be able to get away with murder.  OTOH, I think there are plenty of guys that do not like the way he rides them or treats them.  Patterson looked legit upset to me on the sideline in the Colts game and I think Rex was playing him to punish him.  Earlier in camp Ryan had made some comments about Patterson saving himself and how he had to go hard every practice.  I'm pretty sure from those remarks that Patterson is not a "Rex guy" and I doubt Rex is cutting him any extra slack beyond if he thinks the guy can help the team win on the field. 

Giants, Packers, Browns, and Bengals look deep. 

I don't know about the rest of those teams, but the guys on the Browns are almost all hurt.  They are running Trufant in the top 3-4 and Berry in their top 5-6.  I don't think either of those guys was as good as Lankster or Walls, so I am not sure that guys that can't rise above them are going to rescue us. 

Archived