Jets Crushed By Eagles in Preseason Finale

JetNation

Like every team, they have made bad decisions that did not work out, but they have invested resources.

I'd compare our offensive situation to the Rams (and not just because of the presence of Schottenheimer).  Before Bradford went down its fair to say he was about a league average QB, maybe a little below average.  Better than Sanchez for sure, and good enough that the Rams invested a lot of draft capital in offensive skill players.  In fact, they spent more draft capital on WR's than any team in the NFL since Bradford was named the starter in 2010.

Problem is, this is who they acquired:

Tavon Austin (1st rounder)

Brian Quick (first pick of 2nd round)

Austin Pettis (3rd)

Stedman Bailey (3rd)

Greg Salas (4th)

Mardy Gilyard (4th)

Chris Givens (4th)

Brandon Lloyd (trade for a 5th)

Plus they used a 2nd on TE Lance Kendricks and signed Jared Cook to a monster deal after playing for Fisher in Tennessee.  They also signed Kenny Britt this past offseason.

The best WR in the Bradford era?  Undrafted free agent Danny Amendola, now a Patriot.

This is a team that kept trying to get skill players.  Perhaps Bradford was the bigger problem, but given that so many of those players ended up castoffs to other teams, it's safe to say we at least have one peer in the league when it comes to failures at the skill positions. 

It's damn near impossible to find great skill guys in the middle rounds because the really good ones are so visible in college.  No one was going to let guys like Larry Fitzgerald, Calvin Johnson or AJ Green fall out of the top 5 picks.  And even an unknown commodity like Tavon Austin required a top 10 pick.

I've said this before on this board. The last good skill postion offensive guy the jets drafted was Keyshawn that's 3 gms ago and 4 coaches ago !

Had to think about that a while and can't argue.  I'd guess the next-best since then was Keller and that says a lot.

Had to think about that a while and can't argue.  I'd guess the next-best since then was Keller and that says a lot.

I wouldn't go quite that far.  After all both Moss and Coles had Pro Bowl seasons (although both picks were also over a decade ago).  Don't get me wrong, neither were great, but certainly quality starters and would rank ahead of Keller.  Cotchery could probably come in above him as well.  None of this is particular praise of the Jets drafting of skill positions mind you, but just saying.

I wouldn't go quite that far.  After all both Moss and Coles had Pro Bowl seasons (although both picks were also over a decade ago).  Don't get me wrong, neither were great, but certainly quality starters and would rank ahead of Keller.  Cotchery could probably come in above him as well.  None of this is particular praise of the Jets drafting of skill positions mind you, but just saying.

I kind of forgot about Moss since he left pretty early in his career.  Coles is a good catch.  He also had his stint away from the Jets but he was very good while he was here and did more than Keller.  Same with Cotchery.  At least we got his best years.  Wish we could find a RB to talk about but I got nothing.

I'd compare our offensive situation to the Rams (and not just because of the presence of Schottenheimer).  Before Bradford went down its fair to say he was about a league average QB, maybe a little below average.  Better than Sanchez for sure, and good enough that the Rams invested a lot of draft capital in offensive skill players.  In fact, they spent more draft capital on WR's than any team in the NFL since Bradford was named the starter in 2010.

Problem is, this is who they acquired:

Tavon Austin (1st rounder)

Brian Quick (first pick of 2nd round)

Austin Pettis (3rd)

Stedman Bailey (3rd)

Greg Salas (4th)

Mardy Gilyard (4th)

Chris Givens (4th)

Brandon Lloyd (trade for a 5th)

Plus they used a 2nd on TE Lance Kendricks and signed Jared Cook to a monster deal after playing for Fisher in Tennessee.  They also signed Kenny Britt this past offseason.

The best WR in the Bradford era?  Undrafted free agent Danny Amendola, now a Patriot.

This is a team that kept trying to get skill players.  Perhaps Bradford was the bigger problem, but given that so many of those players ended up castoffs to other teams, it's safe to say we at least have one peer in the league when it comes to failures at the skill positions. 

It's damn near impossible to find great skill guys in the middle rounds because the really good ones are so visible in college.  No one was going to let guys like Larry Fitzgerald, Calvin Johnson or AJ Green fall out of the top 5 picks.  And even an unknown commodity like Tavon Austin required a top 10 pick.

this is kind of depressing, but true.  The Rams have been the young up and coming team for years and they just never seem to get over the hump.   And Bradford might never be some great QB, but he had his moments.  He's also injury prone.    I really hope the Jets don't fall into the category of young and up and coming who never really become anything.    And Geno needs to improve a lot to just become like Bradford. And Bradford wasn't that great.

Archived