•  

Welcome to JetNation.com

Sign In  Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

Create Account
Welcome to JetNation.com, your home for New York Jets talk. We are an independent site, which means we aren't affiliated with the NY Jets or SNY. The opinions here are never censored. We want you to join in on the conversation, but don't worry this is a simple and FREE process. Be apart of JetNation.com by signing in or creating an account. When you create an account, you can also opt to use your existing Facebook or Twitter login.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
Also be sure to check us out on Facebook and Twitter.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Chris Ivory is underrated. There, I said it.

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Jetsfan80

Jetsfan80

Hall Of Famer

• Members
  • 46,740 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 07:10 AM

No, Chris Ivory can't catch passes.  We'll start there.  In a system that requires having pass-catching RB's, Ivory fails miserable in this department (just 5 career catches).  He also has an injury history.  These are things everyone knows about him so we can move on.

I prefer to look at Ivory does well.  Run with the football.  You know, what a starting-caliber running back does about 15-25 times a game. 

Beyond the 4.6 ypc he boasted last year (4.9 for his career), Ivory also passes the advanced metrics test.

In 2013, According to PFF, Ivory was 3rd in the NFL in missed tackles per rushing attempt behind Ben Tate and Joique Bell:  https://www.profootb...-premium-stats/

He also had 280 yards after contact on runs to the outside, a 4.44 yards after contact per carry rate that ranked him 2nd in the NFL behind Andre Ellington:  https://www.profootb...tackles-part-2/

Now, to be fair, FootballOutsiders has Ivory and Bilal Powell ranked about the same as runners last year (-8.3 % DVOA for Ivory, -8.7 % for Powell), in the "about average" ballpark.  But FO also ranks the Jets O-line 21st in overall run-blocking, and was particularly bad at blocking for runs to the inside, where Ivory spends most of his time.  When he was able to run to the outside where he had space, the PFF numbers paint a picture of him being quite difficult to bring down.

All in all he's been worth the 4th round pick we jettisoned to get him thus far, and is an excellent position to do what he does best while Chris Johnson and Powell worry about the pass-catching duties.

Edited by Jetsfan80, 29 August 2014 - 07:12 AM.

sheesh, I'm a doosh.

#2 T0mShane

T0mShane

When it's over, that's the time I fall in love againlolo

• Members
  • 28,032 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 07:15 AM

Strong take.
Well, that's the internet, man: 9 billion tough guys who secretly want to touch your pee-pee.

#3 freestater

freestater

what...wait.. where am I?

• Members
  • 357 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 08:18 AM

yes, good write-up. I know his history hasn't shown it, but I recall a couple plays in the Gints game he took little screen passes to the outside for some good gains.

Posted Image

#4 JiF

JiF

Say yer prayers Varmint!

• Members
  • 38,309 posts
  • LocationSomewhere between Heaven and Hell

Posted 29 August 2014 - 08:38 AM

Outside of DL, the RB's are the best unit on the team.

I like Ivory, definitely didnt like the trade initially but he won me over with his maniac running style.  He runs with such a reckless abandon, I fear for his life and those trying to tackle him.

Posted Image

#5 JayKwaz

JayKwaz

the original Jackass

• Members
  • 710 posts
  • LocationRiverhead, NY

Posted 29 August 2014 - 09:00 AM

He has looked faster this preseason to me.
In Rex I trust

#6 Jetsfan80

Jetsfan80

Hall Of Famer

• Members
  • 46,740 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 09:01 AM

Strong take.

Top 15 RB this year.  He'll be running a lot more to the right side with Howard gone.

Edited by Jetsfan80, 29 August 2014 - 09:02 AM.

sheesh, I'm a doosh.

#7 slats

slats

9 5/8" hands

• Moderators
  • 19,599 posts
  • LocationAcross the Universe

Posted 29 August 2014 - 09:06 AM

No, Chris Ivory can't catch passes.  We'll start there.  In a system that requires having pass-catching RB's, Ivory fails miserable in this department (just 5 career catches).  He also has an injury history.  These are things everyone knows about him so we can move on.

Lol. So when he's healthy enough to get on the field and passes aren't bouncing off his hands, he's awesome. Got it.
back in my room
wish you were dead
you bawl like the baby
in Eraserhead

#8 Jetsfan80

Jetsfan80

Hall Of Famer

• Members
  • 46,740 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 09:24 AM

Lol. So when he's healthy enough to get on the field and passes aren't bouncing off his hands, he's awesome. Got it.

I already covered that.  Your refusal to see what he DOES bring to the table is astounding.  We've literally never had a RB like him; no fear and able to punish defenders.  He's Marshawn Lynch lite.  Meanwhile guys like Thomas Jones and even the great Curtis Martin basically took what the OL gave them.

Edited by Jetsfan80, 29 August 2014 - 09:25 AM.

sheesh, I'm a doosh.

#9 bitonti

bitonti

Draft Bathroom Attendant

• Members
  • 15,139 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 09:27 AM

he actually caught a screen against the NYG

The problem with Ivory is staying healthy. He's properly rated because he can't seem to stay on the field for multiple weeks at a stretch. If he stayed healthy all 16 games, yes he'd probably be a special RB.

As it stands, splitting reps with Johnson and Powell is probably the best thing for this player. He's never proven he can be more than a part time starter. 

Edited by bitonti, 29 August 2014 - 09:27 AM.

My posts have to get worse, so they can get better.

#10 slats

slats

9 5/8" hands

• Moderators
  • 19,599 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 09:46 AM

I already covered that.  Your refusal to see what he DOES bring to the table is astounding.  We've literally never had a RB like him; no fear and able to punish defenders.  He's Marshawn Lynch lite.  Meanwhile guys like Thomas Jones and even the great Curtis Martin basically took what the OL gave them.

You covered that as if it's perfectly reasonable to brush off the fact that he can't catch anything but an injury bug. Players in general have no value at all if they can't get on the field, and starting RBs need to be able to catch the football. When Chris Ivory is lined up in the backfield, the defense knows the team isn't attempting a screen pass. That's a liability. He's supposed to be a power back, but the Jets needed to employ Sheldon Richardson in that role last year.

He does have a punishing and fearless style to running the football. He's exciting to watch when he gets going, I'll certainly give you that. But that style of play also -unfortunately- leads to some of his injury issues.

I think he's the most overrated guy on the team, and I fully expect him to essentially be Chris Johnson's backup this season - even if they start him the first play of the game out of "respect." He's a great guy to have to bang out the clock at the end of a game, and hopefully the Jets get a few leads this year so they can put him to use.
back in my room
wish you were dead
you bawl like the baby
in Eraserhead

#11 Jetsfan80

Jetsfan80

Hall Of Famer

• Members
  • 46,740 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 10:10 AM

You covered that as if it's perfectly reasonable to brush off the fact that he can't catch anything but an injury bug. Players in general have no value at all if they can't get on the field, and starting RBs need to be able to catch the football. When Chris Ivory is lined up in the backfield, the defense knows the team isn't attempting a screen pass. That's a liability. He's supposed to be a power back, but the Jets needed to employ Sheldon Richardson in that role last year.

He does have a punishing and fearless style to running the football. He's exciting to watch when he gets going, I'll certainly give you that. But that style of play also -unfortunately- leads to some of his injury issues.

I think he's the most overrated guy on the team, and I fully expect him to essentially be Chris Johnson's backup this season - even if they start him the first play of the game out of "respect." He's a great guy to have to bang out the clock at the end of a game, and hopefully the Jets get a few leads this year so they can put him to use.

The fact that teams know he isn't in there to catch passes, yet can't stop him even then, proves his worth.  How can he possibly be "overrated" in your eyes?  He's considered by most to be exactly what you say he is; a complimentary back.

I think we'll see Ivory and CJ on the field together a lot this year, with CJ lined up all over the place.  It's exciting to think about.

Edited by Jetsfan80, 29 August 2014 - 10:12 AM.

sheesh, I'm a doosh.

#12 slats

slats

9 5/8" hands

• Moderators
  • 19,599 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 10:34 AM

The fact that teams know he isn't in there to catch passes, yet can't stop him even then, proves his worth.  How can he possibly be "overrated" in your eyes?  He's considered by most to be exactly what you say he is; a complimentary back.

I think we'll see Ivory and CJ on the field together a lot this year, with CJ lined up all over the place.  It's exciting to think about.

He was brought in to be the starter, not a complementary back. He was Idzik's own little Marshawn Lynch. Yet, the much-maligned Bilal Powell gained more all-purpose yards than Ivory last year. When Chris Johnson became available, John Idzik didn't hesitate to spend the money for him. John Idzik spent money! They recognize that Ivory is unreliable due to his constant injury tweaks, and his hands are even less reliable. Brushing those things aside to assert that he's underrated is incredibly silly to me. And if the organization felt the same way you do, Chris Johnson wouldn't be here.

You overrate him, just like you do country music.
back in my room
wish you were dead
you bawl like the baby
in Eraserhead

#13 Jetsfan80

Jetsfan80

Hall Of Famer

• Members
  • 46,740 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 10:36 AM

You overrate him, just like you do country music.

I created a Violent Femmes pandora station though.

sheesh, I'm a doosh.

#14 slats

slats

9 5/8" hands

• Moderators
  • 19,599 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 10:41 AM

I created a Violent Femmes pandora station though.

That's a start. I love Pandora. My Brian Jonestown Massacre station has been getting a lot of play, lately. Although it tried to play Hotel California, I set a land speed record thumbing that sh*t down.
back in my room
wish you were dead
you bawl like the baby
in Eraserhead

#15 pedro55

pedro55

2nd Year Veteran

• Members
  • 1,590 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 02:11 PM

He had 800 yards rushing last season.  That's not a guy who teams can't stop.  that's a guy who is an avg back.    

#16 Gastineau Lives

Gastineau Lives

JetNation Radio Has Been

• Members
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 02:32 PM

He had 800 yards rushing last season.  That's not a guy who teams can't stop.  that's a guy who is an avg back.    

4.6 a carry. Tied with Matt Forte for eighth. That's not a guy that is unstoppable but not an average back unless you choose to look through the ass end of the telescope.

"Those eight weeks I spent as co-host of JetNation Radio were among the happiest of my life. Oh, and F Tom Shane."

#17 Jetsfan80

Jetsfan80

Hall Of Famer

• Members
  • 46,740 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 02:39 PM

Ahem.

sheesh, I'm a doosh.

#18 Villain The Foe

Villain The Foe

6 Years Is Enough. Time To Fire Rex

• Members
  • 3,628 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 02:41 PM

Ahem.

Diggin in the crates huh? 

NYJetsScript.gif

#19 freestater

freestater

what...wait.. where am I?

• Members
  • 357 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 05:00 PM

Ahem.

:headbang:

Posted Image

#20 Matt39

Matt39

master knows all except combination to safe

• Members
  • 22,579 posts
  • LocationDel Boca Vista Phase III

Posted 07 September 2014 - 05:02 PM

I made this thread a year ago.

#21 yanks9596

yanks9596

Practice Squad Player

• Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 05:41 PM

Throw away the statistics, Chris Ivory just makes it happen out there. He is the most relentless RB the Jets have had in a very, very long time. Always have been a fan of his style of play. The downside is that he will get nicked up, but I'll take it any day of the week.

#22 Jettington

Jettington

Rookie Free Agent

• Members
  • 524 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 06:03 PM

Ivory reminds me of Lynch.

#23 Lil Bit Special

Lil Bit Special

pumba lookin ass- Chris Ivory

• Members
  • 23,112 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 06:06 PM

run hard until you get to the endzone.  Then celebrate.  Thanks.

photo c82dba5d-cef7-4044-a308-6f6302c7ad1c.jpg

#24 Jet Nut

Jet Nut

New Kid On The Block

• Members
  • 436 posts
  • LocationManalapan, NJ~Boca Raton, Fl

Posted 07 September 2014 - 06:33 PM

If you're too dumb to look at the number of carries, ignore 4.6 per and the way he carried the ball.

Nothing about this says average.
'Posted

#25 Jetsfan80

Jetsfan80

Hall Of Famer

• Members
  • 46,740 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 07:06 PM

Correct.

sheesh, I'm a doosh.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users