Derek Carr to start at QB for the Raiders: MERGED

Gastineau Lives

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/9349/derek-carr

ESPN Raiders reporter Bill Williamson predicts Derek Carr will start the Week 1 opener against the Jets.

Coach Dennis Allen had previously been married to Matt Schaub as his Week 1 starter. But following Carr's impressive preseason finale against the Seahawks, Allen was less committed to Schaub, saying he'll have to see where Schaub (elbow, day-to-day) is at health-wise. Carr has a big arm and would give the Raiders' receivers a boost. He and Denarius Moors hooked up for two touchdowns Thursday. Carr gives the Raiders their best chance to win games.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rex will destroy him, but Carr went down the field against Seattle's first-string defense last night for a TD, then threw two more TDs. If Bruce Allen is smart, he'll put Carr in shotgun and let him keep throwing it over the top. That's their one real shot at winning.

Rex will destroy him, but Carr went down the field against Seattle's first-string defense last night for a TD, then threw two more TDs. If Bruce Allen is smart, he'll put Carr in shotgun and let him keep throwing it over the top. That's their one real shot at winning.

Seattle played their first stringers last night?

I'm just going to say this right now...

If true, this is the most important game in Jets history.

I'm not kidding, it's the most important.

Why, you ask?

Because the posts from Shane that would follow an Oakland victory led by Derek Carr would be something that I don't believe this site has ever seen before. Nay, the world. Maybe even the universe. It would be awful. Try to imagine all life as you know it stopping instantaneously and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light.

Why, you ask?

Because the posts from Shane that would follow an Oakland victory led by Derek Carr would be something that I don't believe this site has ever seen before. Nay, the world. Maybe even the universe. It would be awful. Try to imagine all life as you know it stopping instantaneously and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light.

This is a legitimate concern. It would be nice if Calvin Pryor knocked him out of the game.

Why, you ask?

Legit lol'd really hard.

Carr may have scored on Seattle's 1st stringers but isn't it standard pre-season procedure to not game plan, especially for the 4th game? Had Seattle been studying him, and planning for him I doubt he would have found it so easy to score. He may end up being better than Schaub right now, but I think I'd rather face the rookie qb, on the road, week 1, facing one of the best pass rushes in the league; our players will get their hits in.

Carr may have scored on Seattle's 1st stringers but isn't it standard pre-season procedure to not game plan, especially for the 4th game? Had Seattle been studying him, and planning for him I doubt he would have found it so easy to score. He may end up being better than Schaub right now, but I think I'd rather face the rookie qb, on the road, week 1, facing one of the best pass rushes in the league; our players will get their hits in.

Personally, I think we're gonna see Shaub but Allen is trying some gamesmanship to keep the Jets guessing and needing to gameplan for both - as if they weren't planning on doing that anyway. 

The Carr family QB brand can't handle a pass rush. Rex will do everything he can to give him PTSD in his first pro start.

with walls and lankster starting at CB I'd like to see Rex adjust and not leave those 2 on islands the entire game.   Don't give up the big play and force Carr / Raiders move the ball all the way down the field.  

The San Francisco Chronicle's Vic Tafur believes there's a 100 percent chance Derek Carr is the Raiders' starting quarterback Week 1 against the Jets.

All signs have been pointing to this since Carr torched the Seahawks in last night's preseason finale. Coach Dennis Allen, who had previously been adamant that Matt Schaub would start the opener, became more wishy-washy with his comments Thursday night. It's led beat writers to believe Carr is going to get the nod two Sundays from now in the Meadowlands. Schaub's arm is shot, while Carr's is cocked and loaded with big-time talent. In three preseason games, Carr was 33-of-45 passing for 326 yards, four touchdowns, and one interception.

Isn't Rex undefeated or close to in his career of coaching against rookie QBs? I remember when Luck was a rookie we killed the Colts, and that was the year we went 6-10

You can throw that stat out for the simple fact this might be the worse secondary Rex Ryan has put out there. The Raiders for the most part want to run the football in 2014 . ( Offense line geared up for pounding the football)

Why would they bother this week . Jmo If I was Greg Olsen ( Raiders OC) I come out with four Wr sets and a single back.( Spread that Jet defense out and force them to play with more db's than Lb's- get deeper in Jet Db depth chart).

Something like this Rod Streater 6'3 210 and James Jones6'1 208/ Andre Holmes 6'4 223 on the outside . With Denarius Moore 6' 195 and Brice Butler 6'3 215 the inside Wr's. with Maurice Jones Drew/ Darren McFadden/ or Lativius Murray as the single back.

Since those Wr are spread out , Derek Carr can come to the line of scrimmage and figure out where he's getting single coverage , and that's where he's going.( by spreading the defense out it makes it harder for Rex Ryan to blitz)

Another benefit of playing with that many Wr's is makes it a lot easier to run the football.( Raiders Wr's have a huge size and weight advantage on Jets Db's) anytime the Raiders Rb's can get the Jets safeties or Cb one on one in opening space it Favors the Raiders Rb's.

That's the way I see it and obviously you see it another way.

Btw Raiders do play that way. jets bring in Babin to rush the passer- making it easier to run where ever he rushing from

You can throw that stat out for the simple fact this might be the worse secondary Rex Ryan has put out there. The Raiders for the most part want to run the football in 2014 . ( Offense line geared up for pounding the football)

Why would they bother this week . Jmo If I was Greg Olsen ( Raiders OC) I come out with four Wr sets and a single back.( Spread that Jet defense out and force them to play with more db's than Lb's- get deeper in Jet Db depth chart).

Something like this Rod Streater 6'3 210 and James Jones6'1 208/ Andre Holmes 6'4 223 on the outside . With Denarius Moore 6' 195 and Brice Butler 6'3 215 the inside Wr's. with Maurice Jones Drew/ Darren McFadden/ or Lativius Murray as the single back.

Since those Wr are spread out , Derek Carr can come to the line of scrimmage and figure out where he's getting single coverage , and that's where he's going.( by spreading the defense out it makes it harder for Rex Ryan to blitz)

Another benefit of playing with that many Wr's is makes it a lot easier to run the football.( Raiders Wr's have a huge size and weight advantage on Jets Db's) anytime the Raiders Rb's can get the Jets safeties or Cb one on one in opening space it Favors the Raiders Rb's.

Btw Raiders do play that way. jets bring in Babin to rush the passer- making it easier to run where ever he rushing from

If you go four wides with one back, Mo Wilkerson will murder Austin Howard and put Carr in the fetal position for the rest of his career.

If you go four wides with one back, Mo Wilkerson will murder Austin Howard and put Carr in the fetal position for the rest of his career.

You're entitled to believe that but Jmo that Jet pass rush isn't going to be a factor. I hope the Jets Defensive line has that mentality( they have to get up the field) because a draw or a screen to the Raiders Rb's and they can be running for big chunks of yards.

Fast twitch speed rushers need how many seconds to get to the Qb , and a Muhammad Wilkerson type of rusher needs a lot more . Carr will have that ball out well before the pressure every gets there.( see where he has the mismatch advantage- when he comes to line of scrimmage)

As good as a Rex Ryan defense is , you can't cover for lousy Cb play.

You're entitled to believe that but Jmo that Jet pass rush isn't going to be a factor. I hope the Jets Defensive line has that mentality( they have to get up the field) because a draw or a screen to the Raiders Rb's and they can be running for big chunks of yards.

Fast twitch speed rushers need how many seconds to get to the Qb , and a Muhammad Wilkerson type of rusher needs a lot more . Carr will have that ball out well before the pressure every gets there.( see where he has the mismatch advantage- when he comes to line of scrimmage)

tough to argue with any of this.....not sure why the jets are going to even bother showing up.    With Carr the Raiders are probably one of the top 3 or 4 offenses in the NFL and I'm sure that Rex, defensive novice that he is, won't have a gameplan for handling Carr.  

tell that to the new york giants.

btw, the raiders suck. one of, if not the worst, teams in the league

no matter which qb starts you'll be beaten soundly

ur right. rex ryan is basically a newb and has no idea how to design defenses to disguise coverages and confuse a rookie qb who has never played an nfl game in his life. I don't even know why the jets will bother to take the field.

Archived