Why Not Keep Gates Instead Of Hill?

kelticwizard

Did we pick him. No. He was drafted by Rams and has had stops at New England and Philly along the way.  We signed him mid season when we needed warm bodies at the WR position. Not exactly a stellar career till date. So yeah he is a feel good story. For me he is.  But even the coaches do not have him rolling with the 1's. All his numbers are against the 2's in pre-season.

rudy1.jpg

I was talking about purely Salas and his journeyman career in my response. Not Stephen Hill. Read the post i am responding to again.

But you are right.Hill may not have many allies in the JETS building and I hope better sense prevails. You are right while Rex who is so high on a special teamer like Haakim and even Salas, the same Rex is not so high on Hill. But then again while i support Rex coaching his defense when did we ever start taking his opinion as gospel as far as offensive players.

But he is stil the HC and the words coming out of Rex's press conference do not sound promising for Hill. But i really hope better sense prevails.Its not like the JETS FO and HC has never been wrong about its WR selection. We need to see what this kid has to offer in his third season.

You can tell by all the teams jumping to claim him off waivers.

IF Salas is so great than why are his contributions mostly with the 2's.

If Gates is so great that why are his contributions with 2's and 3's.

Hill is the only WR that has played mostly with the 1's.

As i said in another thread, Salas has been a training camp standout. Always love those underdog making it to the team stories. But if you look at his performance in the pre-season how much of it was playing against the 1's  ? Then the light hits you and suddenly you realize the feel good story has a not so high ceiling.

Gates has even a lower performance grade than that.

Which doesn't change the fact that Hill didn't produce. And he played his fair share with the 2s. But worse he hasn't developed at all and doesn't loom like he has a clue on the field. Between leaving his feet for passes right to him and catching with his body, he doesn't use his sped or his height, he's just not a football player

The biggest mistake an organization makes is not cutting a player after two yrs simply because of the draft status. See Gholston. See DRob. Then see how the genius BB hands pink slips left n right for all his busts.

The biggest mistake an organization makes is not cutting a player after two yrs simply because of the draft status. See Gholston. See DRob. Then see how the genius BB hands pink slips left n right for all his busts.

We're not going to end up with a surprise UDFA or castoff making some noise (in a good way) if we keep roster spots locked up on guys the coaching staff knows aren't. And after 3 training camps, by now they know. Even if he sucked on the field but they can see he's close to putting it all together and just needs a little more time. Like waiting for that day when your young QB stops counting his own steps on dropbacks, or focusing on how big of a stride he takes on his trows: eventually he stops counting and stops thinking about overstepping, and then it all comes together (or that's the idea). 

Unlike the 2 guys you mentioned, Hill didn't have an 8-figure dead cap acceleration. 

If he does well elsewhere, though, people may start to say Ryan isn't a great offensive football coach. I think that's the other half of the reason teams hold onto these high draft picks. They weren't the only ones who had high grades on these players, and if they turn into something elsewhere, it's double the egg on the franchise's faces than merely drafting a bust (which all teams do).

It depends on what the player brings to the table. The same BB who gets rid of high picks quickly was the one who brought in Albert Haynesworth at the cost of a 2nd round pick.

Some players bring a combo where it might make more sense to wait it out and see how far they go as long it is cost effective. Some players just don't bring that unique combo and sometimes the skills they offer are replaced by better players. So i can understand why WR Josh Boyce was released by the Pats. Well thats because Kenbrell Thompkins came in as a UDFA and upstaged Josh Boyce. So there was not much point keeping Josh Boyce around.

Thinking Drob was a horrible playwr is a typical mistake. Overdrafted and way overpaid, but he was a quality DT. There are thousands of guys that arent the butt of our jokes that couldnt carry his jock.

D-Fat just lacked a pair of functioning knees.  Considering his injuries, he produced better than could have been expected.  Dude was a mess.

Thinking Drob was a horrible playwr is a typical mistake. Overdrafted and way overpaid, but he was a quality DT. There are thousands of guys that arent the butt of our jokes that couldnt carry his jock.

He wasn't overdrafted or overpaid once the Broncos released him. If he was such a quality DT, there were plenty of NFL teams that could have used him even if it was for depth purposes. But they didn't.

He wasn't overdrafted or overpaid once the Broncos released him. If he was such a quality DT, there were plenty of NFL teams that could have used him even if it was for depth purposes. But they didn't.

Zzzz.  The guy was a six year starter in the NFL   If you do not think that is a quality player, then your standards are silly.  90 NFL starts is a quality player.  

Zzzz.  The guy was a six year starter in the NFL   If you do not think that is a quality player, then your standards are silly.  90 NFL starts is a quality player.  

A quality player that was out of the league at 27. Or maybe a scrub that had 90 starts simply based on his perceived potential. Im not saying he was a Gholston, but Im just saying DRob was a bust. 

Archived