Did Sooth sell ji.com for like 16k?

dickkotite

I have to say I'm very intrigued with the developments over there. Somebody was throwing a number around for $16,000. I have no clue what websites are worth does this seem about right or in the ballpark? I can't blame the guy for making a buck but really it's chump change and he has sold out. The funny thing is that it really looks like the end of Jets insider to me.

So when you think about the big migration to this board in the end it looks like Max might actually become the winner. Those posters at JI R probably going to become very disenfranchised with that crappy Scout.com set up. Where will they go? It will be funny if traffic at this site increases significantly.

What's the deal with the gangrene are they also selling out?

And what exactly is behind this it seems like there is some marketing guru who does not care about football or posters who had an idea about buying all of these websites just to get th e traffic

But is 16 k about right for ji? I have no clue. Just curious

There is a 0% chance that he sold the site for 16k.

He didn't sell the site. What he did was sign a partnership with Scout.com. They will now be the football board on the scout network.  Don't quote me on all this but:

• Scout.com was created by Jim Heckman who has an incredible resume and has been very successful. I think Scout sold to Fox Sport in 2005 for 60 million.
  • He also started Rivals.com and sold that to Fox Sports.
  • Late last year he was part of a group that acquired Scout back from Fox Sports. Don't quote me on this # but I thought they told me it was for 51 million or something like that, less than Fox paid for it.
Business Insider reports that Heckman, a former Yahoo executive who was pushed aside by Marissa Mayer, has partnered with MTV founder and private equity investor Bob Pittman to create a new media conglomerate operating under the name NAMG. One of their most recent deals happens to be Scout.com, with Business Insider suggesting that it is one of the puzzle pieces in building a new media empire outside of Yahoo.

Here is what Scout is doing.  They are buying or partnering with site to build up their network. When you partner with them you sign your traffic over to them. So if they have 30 sites that get 100,000 thousand monthly visits, they now report the Scout.com newtork as having 3 million monthly visits.

How do they make money?

A revenue split between the site and Scout. They are touting that they will blow away standard ad sales and bring in a lot of money that way. Also through video ad sales. Daily fantasy football and events. But all those are after thoughts to premium subscriptions.

You have to use their format for the front page and forums.  They host everything. So as a site owner they eliminate a lot of expenses. You sign a deal with them for 1 year, 2 years etc.  I have no idea how long their deal is.  BUT -- your posts are on their servers. So if you want to leave, I am not sure how you get that data back (I didn't ask \ I just assumed they weren't going to give it back).

So that is a long way of saying he didn't sell the site for $16,000. There is no way he did that. I would have given him $18,000 lol.  Seriously - this is a partnership that means he is banking on them selling more ads at a higher rate and premium memberships.  The company is so impressive, this is an extremely smart group of people.  I told them no thanks because the model was a terrible fit for us.

I talked to a few people here after I left the meeting. And my thoughts at that time were if we did this deal 1) I would make more money 2) our users would revolt and rightfully so.

That is my 2 cents.

There is a 0% chance that he sold the site for 16k.

He didn't sell the site. What he did was sign a partnership with Scout.com. They will now be the football board on the scout network.  Don't quote me on all this but:

• Scout.com was created by Jim Heckman who has an incredible resume and has been very successful. I think Scout sold to Fox Sport in 2005 for 60 million.
  • He also started Rivals.com and sold that to Fox Sports.
  • Late last year he was part of a group that acquired Scout back from Fox Sports. Don't quote me on this # but I thought they told me it was for 51 million or something like that, less than Fox paid for it.

Here is what Scout is doing.  They are buying or partnering with site to build up their network. When you partner with them you sign your traffic over to them. So if they have 300 sites that get 100,000 thousand monthly visits, they now report the Scout.com newtork as having 3 million monthly visits.

How do they make money?

A revenue split between the site and Scout. They are touting that they will blow away standard ad sales and bring in a lot of money that way. Also through video ad sales. Daily fantasy football and events. But all those are after thoughts to premium subscriptions.

You have to use their format for the front page and forums.  They host everything. So as a site owner they eliminate a lot of expenses. You sign a deal with them for 1 year, 2 years etc.  I have no idea how long their deal is.  BUT -- your posts are on their servers. So if you want to leave, I am not sure how you get that data back (I didn't ask \ I just assumed they weren't going to give it back).

So that is a long way of saying he didn't sell the site for $16,000. There is no way he did that. I would have given him $18,000 lol.  Seriously - this is a partnership that means he is banking on them selling more ads at a higher rate and premium memberships.  The company is so impressive, this is an extremely smart group of people.  I told them no thanks because the model was a terrible fit for us.

I talked to a few people here after I left the meeting. And my thoughts at that time were if we did this deal 1) I would make more money 2) our users would revolt and rightfully so.

That is my 2 cents.

Thanks for not taking the money and running, Max.  You are Maximus, Sooth is Joaquin Phoenix.  And JN keeps me very entertained.

So if they have 300 sites that get 100,000 thousand monthly visits, they now report the Scout.com newtork as having 3 million monthly visits.

Never been much of a mathematician, huh buddy?

I think I'm starting to get a better understanding of why you really turned down the money. :tongue:

Never been much of a mathematician, huh buddy?

I think I'm starting to get a better understanding of why you really turned down the money. :tongue:

My bad, I meant to say if they add 30 sites.  :)  I went back and fixed it.  But yes I agree, that does explain a lot.

Last thing I need is another entity with my mailing info sending me crap that I don't want to get, see, join, read, or donate to. Now let's see if I can figure out how to unsubscribe to that site, anyone know?

Wait for the 1st email and then just unsubscribe if you don't like their product. :)

I've joined here due to the closing of JetsInsider. We had what we called The Hampur. It was an oasis.

Hoping that you have a somewhat similar atmosphere over here.

We have 3 rules.

-No nudity. 

-No politics. 

-No religion. 

Other than those three things anything pretty much goes

The fact you were never liked or accepted in there must really bother you.

On the bright side cr, new Floyd album in just a few weeks.

The fact that you felt you needed to respond to my post is comical.

Can't wait for the new Floyd.

The fact that you felt you needed to respond to my post is comical.

Can't wait for the new Floyd.

cr, I've responded to your posts, no matter how content free, for what, like a decade?

Hardly suprising is it?

I'm so eager for the new Floyd, I visit a silly fansite everyday hooping for just a release of the cover, much less the music!

By the way, did you ever check that LA bootleg I PM'd you at JI?  If not, by god go download it, it's spectacular.

cr, I've responded to your posts, no matter how content free, for what, like a decade?

Hardly suprising is it?

I'm so eager for the new Floyd, I visit a silly fansite everyday hooping for just a release of the cover, much less the music!

By the way, did you ever check that LA bootleg I PM'd you at JI?  If not, by god go download it, it's spectacular.

I tried to check it out but I only used my iPad and it didn't work.

Also, I thought it was hysterical that I was not considered to be in the Hampur crowd, not upsetting in the least.

Archived