NY Jets will have to live with mistake of not bringing Darrelle Revis back

Ken Schroy

NY Jets will have to live with mistake of not bringing Darrelle Revis back As Jets fumble around to try and get defensive backfield situation in order for season opener, Revis now playing for arch-rival Patriots.

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
Saturday, August 30, 2014, 11:16 PM

453666288.jpg

Rex Ryan has the worst cornerback situation in his six years as the Jets head coach, maybe the worst in the league, so Woody Johnson and John Idzik look pretty petty now for dismissing Darrelle Revis when he pursued returning to the team in March.

Revis instead signed a two-year, $32 million deal with the Patriots — it’s really a one-year $12 million contract — and is very happy to be in New England where he has a great chance to get to the Super Bowl with new best friends Bill Belichick and Tom Brady. The Jets, meanwhile, are sitting on $21 million in salary-cap space and no cornerbacks.

After the Patriots played the Giants in the preseason last week at MetLife Stadium, I spoke to Revis about the Jets turning their back on him when he wanted to return and he opened up about what transpired when he was a free agent in March. “We reached out to a number of teams, including the Jets,” Revis told the Daily News. “(The Jets) didn’t respond back. That was the situation. There are no hard feelings. It is what it is. I don’t know what the problem is with that situation.”

Then, he found the answer.

“I guess I left a bad taste in the Jets’ mouth for some reason,” he said. “I don’t know what the bitter taste was. You tell me. Mr. Idzik and Mr. Woody Johnson. That’s the guys you have to talk to about that. That’s the guys who are running it. They make the decision. If they feel that is what is best for their team, that is what they are going to do.”

There are factions of Jets Nation that had had enough of Revis — he held out in 2007 and 2010 and another contract battle was looming in 2013 before he was traded to Tampa — and the Jets’ hierarchy was clearly feeling the same way. The Jets had no desire to do business with Revis again this year and clearly had no appetite to pay him $12 million.

Even so, I sense a good deal of Jets Nation is upset that Gang Green let ego and stubbornness get in the way of bringing back one of the best players in team history, and those feelings only intensified when the Jets cornerback situation got worse this summer. And making it more distasteful, Revis signed with the hated Patriots.

Ryan’s defense is predicated on his corners being left on their own. Two years ago, he had Revis and Antonio Cromartie on opening day. Now the starters are Darrin Walls, who has started four games in the last two years, and converted safety Antonio Allen, who literally has been playing cornerback for 15 minutes. Kyle Wilson — oh no — is the slot corner.

Of course, that was not Ryan’s plan when the Jets reported to training camp. Dee Milliner suffered a high ankle sprain on Aug. 10, and no date has been set for his return. Journeyman Dimitri Patterson was signed to a one-year, $3 million deal and was supposed to be the other starting corner. That blew up on the Jets, and he was cut on Saturday. Rookie Dexter McDougle, who was likely going to be the slot corner, tore his ACL, also on Aug. 10, and is out for the season.

“I don’t really know what is going on with the team now,” Revis said. “I don’t really pay attention that much.”

Revis tore his ACL in the third game of the 2012 season with the Jets, then was traded to Tampa last year with the Jets receiving a 2013 No. 1 pick, which they used on defensive rookie of the year Sheldon Richardson, and a 2014 fourth-round pick, which they used on wide receiver Jalen Saunders.

Idzik could have been a hero of sorts by getting Revis back for just the price of the contract. He had Tampa’s two draft picks, and the Bucs put the effort into rehabbing Revis last year (he played all 16 games) and getting the rust off. It was a no-lose situation for Idzik, whose other moves were good enough to build the Jets back into a playoff contender. Revis had a terrific summer with the Patriots and says he’s back to his pre-ACL days.

So is this all the Jets’ loss?

“I don’t know. You can look at it as that,” Revis said. “I don’t know what their process of thinking was coming after the ACL. I don’t know if they didn’t think I was going to get back to 100% or not. If they felt like I wasn’t a franchise player or a player that can be there for a long time, then that’s on them. There’s nothing else for me to do but be where I am wanted.”

I asked Revis if he could understand the Jets having a bitter taste considering he held out during training camp of his rookie year and then missed all of camp in 2010. “It’s a business,” he said. “What do you want? I’m the top player at my position. What do you expect? That’s just what it is. If you’re the top player at your position, you should be paid as the top player at your position. That’s what our side is looking at. It’s business.”

The way things worked out, Revis gets the last laugh. Ryan could really use him now. But Revis is not taking any pleasure in the Jets’ cornerback problems.

“That’s the team who drafted me, that’s the team who took a chance on me, who bumped up to the slot to come get me in the ’07 draft. They gave me a chance to fulfill my dream,” Revis said. “So there’s never been any hard feelings. We built some great teams, went to two AFC Championship Games. That was the best we can do. There’s nothing more you can say.”

After the Jets face either Matt Schaub or rookie Derek Carr in the opener next week against the Raiders, they get Aaron Rodgers, Jay Cutler, Matthew Stafford, Philip Rivers, Peyton Manning and Brady in the next six games. Just a guess, but Revis could have helped.

He pissed me off and I don't miss him. It's a business he says. That's means screw the fans and the team.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

and guess what Mr. TheJetsCanDoNothingRightInMyJetsHatingEyes Myers w/o having to mention the whole hindsight /% thing, none of us Jets fans even WANTED the cry baby Revis back. It's his me-first attitude that has plagued this team for years especially during the Ryan era. We finally ridded ourselves of Santonio and Derrick Mason and the rest of the trouble makers and a major disruptor LIKE Darrell Revis is not what we need at this point in time.Frankly, we the Jets Nation fans have had enough of his yearly I want more $$$ holdouts, we wanted change and with the latest GM, we are finally getting it. I will be very happy to throw it back in your face when the step or two slower Revis pulls another hammy trying to chase down a fleet receiver and ends up back on the injury charts.

Revis is a hall of fame player. Hall of Fame players cost money. the Jets don't want to spend money. They thought it would be better to sign Dimitri Patterson instead. And here we are. 

This is all on the Jets for letting their best drafted player since Willy in 1969 go to the team's most bitter rival. 

and if you think it's a dead horse or old news, just wait. There are scads of casual Jets fans who are going to be shocked when they play New England. 

Revis is a hall of fame player. Hall of Fame players cost money. the Jets don't want to spend money. They thought it would be better to sign Dimitri Patterson instead. And here we are. 

This is all on the Jets for letting their best drafted player since Willy in 1969 go to the team's most bitter rival. 

and if you think it's a dead horse or old news, just wait. There are scads of casual Jets fans who are going to be shocked when they play New England

No doubt the same fans that follow 3rd rate NFL talent evaluators.

and if you think it's a dead horse or old news, just wait. There are scads of casual Jets fans who are going to be shocked when they play New England. 

Bravo Bravo best post ive read on here in months.

There is no single person who the Revis topic qualifies as more "dead horse or old news" than you.  The only thing that keeps it fresh is that you're so full of sh*t, your story changes every time you're proven wrong on the matter, regularly contradicting yourself in the process.

we'll always have that superbowl from 2009 to remember

How much does Darrelle love life right now? He's a smart dude and knew what he was doing to this market when he floated how much he'd like to come back, and he also knew he wasn't coming back for less than top dollar.

Agreed but at the same time he will make a few million less thus year than his Tampa contract.

Revis @ 13M would look pretty good right now.   In fact, Revis for 1 year while McDougal grew into the position would have been a decent plan.

As much as I would have liked to get Revis back I can understand the organization's reluctance to re-sign him.   The problem is that there was no plan and now the Jets have a gaping hole at CB....not good.  

scared-big-ern-o.gif

I agree you need to keep your elite players at all costs. But there's a good chance Revis is just thar big of a pain in the ass to deal with.

That's really the only logical reason he isn't here. You pay your studs what they want.

I still don't get how any of you can still look at Revis, and call him the greedy pig? Seriously, the NFL, and it's owners are the most greedy I'm the sports businesses, and some how keep getting fans like some of you to turn on a HOF possible all time great because he wants his deserved piece of the pie, and used the owners own tactics against them.

Archived