Poor Hill. Goes unclaimed.

pointman

<p>

Eoj-gCKL_normal.jpegAdam Caplan @caplannfl · 2m

Stephen Hill did pass through waivers unclaimed. Due to the new rules, I believe Hill can be signed to a practice squad.

I didn't realize Hill was PS eligible, after his agent bad mouthed the team and Rex I wonder if they'd still consider it.

Here is how it was going for him on being released:

Three teams have already shown interest in Hill, per source. One is from the AFC North...not Cleveland. Yet. #Nyjets

— Kristian Dyer (@KristianRDyer) August 30, 2014

Than his agent opened his mouth.

Anyways who cares now. He is not in Green and White. The main thing and the really worrying thing is our WR corps is very very ordinary once you get past the top 3.

Here is how it was going for him on being released:

Three teams have already shown interest in Hill, per source. One is from the AFC North...not Cleveland. Yet. #Nyjets

— Kristian Dyer (@KristianRDyer) August 30, 2014

Than his agent opened his mouth.

Anyways who cares now. He is not in Green and White. The main thing and the really worrying thing is our WR corps is very very ordinary once you get past the top 3.

How many teams are not ordinary after the top 3? Some aren't but most are

Do we just want to be bunched with most forever.

I do get your position on it, since his size+speed measurables are everything one would dream of for a WR. Those measurables are totally unlike Saunders, who you correctly say only made the team because he was drafted in the 4th. And Idzik can't have it that the first WR he ever drafted, in a WR-rich class, didn't even make the opening day roster on a WR-needy team.

Except after 3 NFL training camps, Hill plays like he's the same size as Saunders, jumping up to catch passes 5 feet off the ground so he can body-catch them in his breadbox. I don't care if Lal is literally the worst WR coach in the league, there's no way he didn't drill that to Hill over & over (probably Mornhinweg as well). And he may very well do it in practice sometimes, but in live action he just reverts back to his insecurity towards hand-catching. He must be so paranoid about dropping a pass that he won't "risk" it with his suspect hands. 

It sucks. Would have been great if Hill was half the player he was drafted to be. But it seems he just isn't. 

We have 7 WR's on the roster.

So it's particularly damning that they cut Hill after investing so much in him (not just the picks, but carrying him 2 seasons and 3 training camps; time that could have been spent on someone else). Point is they wanted him to succeed. I'm quite certain they're all aware of his size+speed combo, so I sense that for every time we see something unimpressive (being nice here) in a game, they see many times more of them in practices. He also might not have the right attitude for the game. He seems very passive/mopey. He looks almost sad just watching his demeanor. 

Would have been great if he was a stud. Just hope he isn't for someone else, because there aren't too many guys that tall & that fast (like Hill, and like Schilens ;)).

I do get your position on it, since his size+speed measurables are everything one would dream of for a WR. Those measurables are totally unlike Saunders, who you correctly say only made the team because he was drafted in the 4th. And Idzik can't have it that the first WR he ever drafted, in a WR-rich class, didn't even make the opening day roster on a WR-needy team.

Except after 3 NFL training camps, Hill plays like he's the same size as Saunders, jumping up to catch passes 5 feet off the ground so he can body-catch them in his breadbox. I don't care if Lal is literally the worst WR coach in the league, there's no way he didn't drill that to Hill over & over (probably Mornhinweg as well). And he may very well do it in practice sometimes, but in live action he just reverts back to his insecurity towards hand-catching. He must be so paranoid about dropping a pass that he won't "risk" it with his suspect hands. 

It sucks. Would have been great if Hill was half the player he was drafted to be. But it seems he just isn't. 

And that might very well be that Hill might never take the next step. But could we have atleast taken a chance to see how productive he could be for us in his 3rd season. It wouldn't have cost us much and we do not have anyone to take his place on the side.

If the roster was  stashed with Pro Bowlers at WR I would never ask for this. Cut him for someone better. Good riddance. If our rookie WR's were lighting it up I wouldn't mind the JETS moving forward from Hill. But we haven't added a whole bunch of talent on our WR corps.

We are carrying 7 WR's. Of that two are return men, one is a TC success story still to step on the field against top notch competition and the other is a warm body at this point that could have been stashed away on the practice squad that still has three open places available as of today while we could have seen first hand what Hill was able to do for this team in the season. The NFL has a ton of stories where WR's have got it together as the 3rd season goes along. He may not been playing his size but why not give him an opportunity to see if he can turn that around because the team has no one his size on the roster. And yeah opposing coaches no matter what still have to prepare for his size and speed. Even if he wasn't firing he was still a weapon.

So you start with a player who by all standards is a project and do not have the patience to see if he can come thru in Season 3 when you do have any alternatives and its cost effective to keep him on the team. It does not make any logical or football sense. Except the new GM gets his picks to be on the team whether they deserve it at this point or not. Just does not make any sense. That's all.

So it's particularly damning that they cut Hill after investing so much in him (not just the picks, but carrying him 2 seasons and 3 training camps; time that could have been spent on someone else). Point is they wanted him to succeed. I'm quite certain they're all aware of his size+speed combo, so I sense that for every time we see something unimpressive (being nice here) in a game, they see many times more of them in practices. He also might not have the right attitude for the game. He seems very passive/mopey. He looks almost sad just watching his demeanor. 

Would have been great if he was a stud. Just hope he isn't for someone else, because there aren't too many guys that tall & that fast (like Hill, and like Schilens ;)).

But apart from the acquisition of Decker we did not add any new talent that can contribute. Hopefully Enunwa becomes a player i think he can become by season end.

And that might very well be that Hill might never take the next step. But could we have atleast taken a chance to see how productive he could be for us in his 3rd season. It wouldn't have cost us much and we do not have anyone to take his place on the side.

If the roster was  stashed with Pro Bowlers at WR I would never ask for this. Cut him for someone better. Good riddance. If our rookie WR's were lighting it up I wouldn't mind the JETS moving forward from Hill. But we haven't added a whole bunch of talent on our WR corps.

We are carrying 7 WR's. Of that two are return men, one is a TC success story still to step on the field against top notch competition and the other is a warm body at this point that could have been stashed away on the practice squad that still has three open places available as of today while we could have seen first hand what Hill was able to do for this team in the season. The NFL has a ton of stories where WR's have got it together as the 3rd season goes along. He may not been playing his size but why not give him an opportunity to see if he can turn that around because the team has no one his size on the roster. And yeah opposing coaches no matter what still have to prepare for his size and speed. Even if he wasn't firing he was still a weapon.

So you start with a player who by all standards is a project and do not have the patience to see if he can come thru in Season 3 when you do have any alternatives and its cost effective to keep him on the team. It does not make any logical or football sense. Except the new GM gets his picks to be on the team whether they deserve it at this point or not. Just does not make any sense. That's all.

I don't think cost was a factor with Hill. If it was about money, Idzik could have given him the Tannenbaum treatment (guarantee his salary for the year in exchange for a pay cut down to under $1M).

I think you answered your own question as to the 7 WRs thing. Two of them are WRs in name alone (at least to start the season); they are pure returners. The problem Hill faced is he didn't do anything else other than line up as an outside WR (badly at that). 

Again, I think the team is well aware of his theoretical potential. They know his height. They know his 40 time. They know his vertical. They know they've invested 3 training camps in him. They know lots of receivers "get it" in year 3 (or year 4). And yet they still cut him. And forget Saunders, who they drafted. They kept friggin' Hakim over Hill. They really must have more complaints than just his hands (and his reluctance to using them). I sense he may have a poor football attitude (some of that is gauged from how he seems to carry himself; some from his agent's recent comments, which are surely Hill's comments repackaged). IF that's true, you have poor attitude, poor hands, poor use of body, and doesn't have a pro's nerves.

Ultimately the team's assessment seems to be that, 3 years into his career, still the best thing he has to offer are his combine numbers.

Hey, I also HOPE he continues to suck. No fan likes it if their WR-needy team just let go of a 6'4" tall 23 year-old (just turned 23) who runs like the wind.

I don't think cost was a factor with Hill. If it was about money, Idzik could have given him the Tannenbaum treatment (guarantee his salary for the year in exchange for a pay cut down to under $1M).

I think you answered your own question as to the 7 WRs thing. Two of them are WRs in name alone (at least to start the season); they are pure returners. The problem Hill faced is he didn't do anything else other than line up as an outside WR (badly at that). 

Again, I think the team is well aware of his theoretical potential. They know his height. They know his 40 time. They know his vertical. They know they've invested 3 training camps in him. They know lots of receivers "get it" in year 3 (or year 4). And yet they still cut him. And forget Saunders, who they drafted. They kept friggin' Hakim over Hill. They really must have more complaints than just his hands (and his reluctance to using them). I sense he may have a poor football attitude (some of that is gauged from how he seems to carry himself; some from his agent's recent comments, which are surely Hill's comments repackaged). IF that's true, you have poor attitude, poor hands, poor use of body, and doesn't have a pro's nerves.

Ultimately the team's assessment seems to be that, 3 years into his career, still the best thing he has to offer are his combine numbers.

Hey, I also HOPE he continues to suck. No fan likes it if their WR-needy team just let go of a 6'4" tall 23 year-old (just turned 23) who runs like the wind.

I still would have kept him just because we do not have many receivers that can do just that line up as an outside WR and stretch the field. We just do not have that. It would not cost us much and would have defenses coaches and staff weary because even though he was misfiring he was still a weapon.

Effort wise he seemed to bring it on every down on the field. And yes he needs a new agent. But as you said instead of finding out how well he could contribute we can now only hope he SUCKS into oblivion and the best case scenario is he is another failed offensive experiment of the JETS.

But apart from the acquisition of Decker we did not add any new talent that can contribute. Hopefully Enunwa becomes a player i think he can become by season end.

No, but like at other positions, we have returning players who may be better than they were a year prior. Starting QB last year was Geno Smith. Starting QB this year is Geno Smith. On paper there is no change to the starting QB. In reality he is probably very different (we'll find out soon enough, but he certainly seems worlds ahead of where he was 12 months ago).

A few guys who we had last year we only had for partial seasons (Nelson, Salas, Hakim). Sometimes guys take a big leap forward for a variety of reasons. Salas and Hakim will have more much-needed experience than last year (assuming Hakim sticks for the season, which I have my doubts if people stay healthy). Also Nelson had missed most of the prior year so it's very possible (if not likely) that he wasn't truly 100% all last year. So, players who were here last year but may be better. Just like you think regarding Hill. But the message the team is sending, by releasing a kid with his obvious theoretical upside, is that he still doesn't belong on a football field yet. 

I think Hill might still be on the team if he did anything on special teams. 

No, but like at other positions, we have returning players who may be better than they were a year prior. Starting QB last year was Geno Smith. Starting QB this year is Geno Smith. On paper there is no change to the starting QB. In reality he is probably very different (we'll find out soon enough, but he certainly seems worlds ahead of where he was 12 months ago).

A few guys who we had last year we only had for partial seasons (Nelson, Salas, Hakim). Sometimes guys take a big leap forward for a variety of reasons. Salas and Hakim will have more much-needed experience than last year (assuming Hakim sticks for the season, which I have my doubts if people stay healthy). Also Nelson had missed most of the prior year so it's very possible (if not likely) that he wasn't truly 100% all last year. So, players who were here last year but may be better. Just like you think regarding Hill. But the message the team is sending, by releasing a kid with his obvious theoretical upside, is that he still doesn't belong on a football field yet. 

I think Hill might still be on the team if he did anything on special teams. 

I understand that some players got better with more experience logic. You are correct about that. Nelson and Salas did not have training camps with us last season so I am sure going thru that helped their games and ability to contribute to the team.

But still i dont think Nelson, Salas can line up on the out side and stretch the field every play. We just do not have too much of that skill set on the team. It makes the opposition's job to defend that much easier.

I understand that some players got better with more experience logic. You are correct about that. Nelson and Salas did not have training camps with us last season so I am sure going thru that helped their games and ability to contribute to the team.

But still i dont think Nelson, Salas can line up on the out side and stretch the field every play. We just do not have too much of that skill set on the team. It makes the opposition's job to defend that much easier.

Sure they can. Neither is as fast as Hill, but they don't run the 40 in 6.8 seconds. Even if they both only ran in the 4.7 range, you're talking a third of a second to get a full 40 yards downfield.

A receiver doesn't need Hill's speed to stretch the field. Outside of a simple go route, just as much separation can be created (at the end of 4 seconds) by getting into & out of cuts faster at some point in the route. Just saying every guy capable of stretching the field doesn't have Hill's speed.

I wouldn't have been surprised if they'd kept Hill and I wasn't surprised he was cut. He was on the bubble, and with good reason. It's hard to justify giving a roster spot to someone who not only isn't good, but who isn't good for the 3rd straight summer (after being generally bad for each of his first 2 summers and seasons).

Sure they can. Neither is as fast as Hill, but they don't run the 40 in 6.8 seconds. Even if they both only ran in the 4.7 range, you're talking a third of a second to get a full 40 yards downfield.

A receiver doesn't need Hill's speed to stretch the field. Outside of a simple go route, just as much separation can be created (at the end of 4 seconds) by getting into & out of cuts faster at some point in the route. Just saying every guy capable of stretching the field doesn't have Hill's speed.

I wouldn't have been surprised if they'd kept Hill and I wasn't surprised he was cut. He was on the bubble, and with good reason. It's hard to justify giving a roster spot to someone who not only isn't good, but who isn't good for the 3rd straight summer (after being generally bad for each of his first 2 summers and seasons).

I completely agree sperm. The kid had a tough time getting separation, even with all that 4.2 speed. Very disappointing.

I have never seen a WR take as many huge hits as Hill did ...It seemed everytime the guy caught a ball he got leveled. What that tells ya is not only can't the guy catch but he telegraphs his Routes and has problems getting open. When WRs do that in the NFL they get killed.4

I have never seen a WR take as many huge hits as Hill did ...It seemed everytime the guy caught a ball he got leveled. What that tells ya is not only can't the guy catch but he telegraphs his Routes and has problems getting open. When WRs do that in the NFL they get killed.4

I remember Hill being wide open on a route and Smith under throwing him causing Hill to stop for a couple of seconds and proceed to get leveled by Polamalu.

Archived